Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,744 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (482083 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:15am On Dec 02, 2011
Alpha aahh! Was going to say that can't be right, after all we all know their version numbers are year.month. Well for me i think i'll wait for the distribution release myself; haven't even had time to try out the new mint yet
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
if u dont know jack about coding or programming u should not be using alpha version of any OS.

its for people to test and contribute towards making it better.

u cannot use it for anything sef, most of ur apps wont install or work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 02, 2011
I am so much concerned about additional  ALPS touchpads support, I and some friends would be looking into how effective the patches are and reporting back any bug.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 3:05pm On Dec 08, 2011
This thread, has been of impact surely to a lot of people. There may be outstanding members that proffer solutions regularly that are worthy of mention/appreciation.

Please, if there exist such persons here, can you just take a minute out and nominate that/those person(s) for recognition in the Official 2011 Computers Section Poster Of The Year Awards .

Thanks

Maleeq
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
y this thread dey so quiet now?
where is everybody
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Infoseye(m): 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
4llerbuntu:

y this thread dey so quiet now?
where is everybody

Hi its been a while I have been here, I want to start using Linux as my OS. I think am done with Microsoft. Whats the first thing todo?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:34pm On Dec 14, 2011
read, learn.

its not windows, there is a learning curve.
there are sacrifices to be made by u.

if u have attachment to windows applications, run windows. i say this because complaints that windows apps dont run on linux is usually a phase.
nobody tries to run linux apps on windows and judge windows on that, so vice versa should be the case.

usual thing tho is to dualboot at first to ease the transition. so READ, GOOGLE, LEARN FIRST.

the community is available to help smoothen the rough edges at the beginning
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 14, 2011
Infoseye:

Hi its been a while I have been here, I want to start using Linux as my OS. I think am done with Microsoft. Whats the first thing todo?
First and foremost, try to know what you want out of it. Don't think Yahoo and Windows live cam are possible if they are your main intentions, if they are you might use Windows OS as subordinate.

Now, there are different Linux out there and they are not so much different from one another only in customization,looks and some other few things with compatibility. As you can see the topic of this thread is 'Ubuntu Linux' which is the mostly widely distributed of all distributions making it the most popular due to so many reasons. I am using Ubuntu at the moment and also testing others like Mint, Sciencelinux, etc. I wish to quickly say that Ubuntu has served my purpose very well. It is easy for me to do most of my installations easily, give me room for different ways to update, support many free apps, large community supports,etc.

Before you start, visit www.ubuntu.com and download the latest live CD,which is in ISO image format or others but choice the ISO format, to your system( probably download it to your Windows system). After  that, use a simple image burner downloadable from herehttp://file.softsea.com/CD_Burner/FreeISOBurner.exe and get a writetable DVD empty disc ready. When you have finished installing the image burner insert the DVD into your DVD Rom and open the burner.At the Burner click on Open to locate the ISO file you downloaded from Ubuntu official site and select your driver, this time around it is your DVD player/writer. Include volume label as 'UBUNTU' and leave other things like 'Burn  speed' and 'Finalize disc' and click on the 'BURN' button to burn the image.

The moment you are successfully through with the aforesaid, then proceed to doing your installation with the DVD you created. Restart your system and make sure you allow it to boot from your DVD drive. Wait for it to boot up and load the DVD. Next select your language choice and click on 'Install Ubuntu'. Clcik on 'Forward', if your are connected check 'Download Updates while installing' before now the connect must have been indicated if you have one. If not, proceed to the next step by clicking 'Forward' at this point if your are willing to install along side Windows select the first option if not otherwise choose the second one to replace Windows with Ubuntu or third to allocate your hard drive to different sizes. When you are in the next step click on 'Install Now' to continue the installation. Along the line it will ask for your region - select your regional location and click on 'Forward'. I would expect you to selct USA for your 'Keyboard Layout' (for those using English keyboard) and click 'Forward'. At the next stage of 'Who are you?' enter your information and click 'Forward to move on. After finalizing the 'Welcome to Ubuntu screen' the process will require you to restart your system. Upon restarting your system it will ask you to remove the disc(remove the DVD installation disc from your DVD player/writer and close it). the system will restart. Enter your password and after the Ubuntu chime your new Ubuntu operating system will be displayed. Try to do your updates after connecting your system to the internet.

Use Google to search for information on how to do other things and try to visit the Ubuntu communities for help.

I hope you will find this helpful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Infoseye(m): 7:57pm On Dec 14, 2011
4llerbuntu:

read, learn.

its not windows, there is a learning curve.
there are sacrifices to be made by u.

if u have attachment to windows applications, run windows. i say this because complaints that windows apps dont run on linux is usually a phase.
nobody tries to run linux apps on windows and judge windows on that, so vice versa should be the case.

usual thing tho is to dualboot at first to ease the transition. so READ, GOOGLE, LEARN FIRST.

the community is available to help smoothen the rough edges at the beginning

MR man I have read enough to start me with Linux, I have used Ubuntu linux a couple of times. What I need to know is what Linux OS to start with, no need for the lecture all I wanted to hear is start with Linux mint and why?

Just a direction, no problems thanks for the tip.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:20pm On Dec 14, 2011
unfortunately, we can't help you there; you have to decide which one you really like.
I started linux with "Basic Linux" - a slackware based linux distro that came in 2 floppies,
despite the fact that it wasn't recommended for beginners. over time i have tried many
more distros and do not stick strictly to one.

If you're familiar with dual booting you might try a few of the most popular ones: ubuntu, mint,
fedora, opensuse, debian, mandriva etc and decide which one you really like. try those with kde
by default and those with gnome by default. My advice, unless you're an os junkie like me, you might
want to limit yourself to no more than 4 distros
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:14pm On Dec 15, 2011
Infoseye:

MR man I have read enough to start me with Linux, I have used Ubuntu linux a couple of times. What I need to know is what Linux OS to start with, no need for the lecture all I wanted to hear is start with Linux mint and why?

Just a direction, no problems thanks for the tip.

and why would i tell you to start with linux mint? what is special about linux mint?

a year back i could have said that, simply because i used to erroneously think newbies should be pampered and spoonfed.
i went through that with another member of nairaland here, and the experience made me realise the fundamental flaw in that view.

the mistake was practically selling mint as a windows type alternative where all the user needed to do was point and click and everything automagically fell in place!!

even windows does not work that way, the user still needs to source for apps, install them and learn how to use them. so why were we selling a respin as an end all?

this days i can even recommend arch linux to someone who has never seen a pc before!! thing is if that person is going to use it, he will, if not no matter what u do, he wont.
therefore the best thing is to allow the user know the strengths and weaknesses of the system, how to use it effectively.
besides the only thing mint does for u is install codecs and duplicate apps ootb! which a single command will let u do. why dont i just let u learn that command and how to install linux apps upfront. that way i prevent the situation i had earlier where a person who had been using mint for 3 months did not know how to run sudo apt-get!!

and since u already read and know so much about ubuntu anyway, u should not be asking that question. u should be making an educated choice on why one distro is more useful to u than the other. so clearly u were just trolling?

instead of recommending mint, why not try PINGUYOS? google it, and use that.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
ehen, @blackweaver, my work laptop, the acer's wifi does not work anymore.

network manager says wifi disabled by hardware switch. the button when i press it does not respond. meanwhile on that same laptop, with windows 7 the switch works just fine.

its not my hardware anyway, i just had to partition it and put ubuntu on it so i could work with a familiar enviroment. do u have an idea what may have appened? the hardware is ok from terminal output, just wonder y the switch does not work in ubuntu anymore and how i can switch it back on
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Infoseye(m): 2:32pm On Dec 15, 2011
4llerbuntu:

and why would i tell you to start with linux mint? what is special about linux mint?

a year back i could have said that, simply because i used to erroneously think newbies should be pampered and spoonfed.
i went through that with another member of nairaland here, and the experience made me realise the fundamental flaw in that view.

the mistake was practically selling mint as a windows type alternative where all the user needed to do was point and click and everything automagically fell in place!!

even windows does not work that way, the user still needs to source for apps, install them and learn how to use them. so why were we selling a respin as an end all?

this days i can even recommend arch linux to someone who has never seen a pc before!! thing is if that person is going to use it, he will, if not no matter what u do, he wont.
therefore the best thing is to allow the user know the strengths and weaknesses of the system, how to use it effectively.
besides the only thing mint does for u is install codecs and duplicate apps ootb! which a single command will let u do. why dont i just let u learn that command and how to install linux apps upfront. that way i prevent the situation i had earlier where a person who had been using mint for 3 months did not know how to run sudo apt-get!!

and since u already read and know so much about ubuntu anyway, u should not be asking that question. u should be making an educated choice on why one distro is more useful to u than the other. so clearly u were just trolling?

instead of recommending mint, why not try PINGUYOS? google it, and use that.

gbam!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:56pm On Dec 15, 2011
@4ller, you too dey vex for this mint sha; anyway on a different note what is the kernel message when enable wireless?
you can try "dmesg -c" first to clear your kernel messages with the wireless off, then when you've put it on, try dmesg
you can try googling up whatever error message you see (otherwise instead of clearing up your kernel messages you
can just use dmesg tail). I once had a similar problem on a laptop (i think it was hp630 or so; when i googled up the error
i found out that it was because of some file that was "missing" in the etc folder. Once i put a blank file in the appropriate
folder the thing started working. what happens if you type ifconfig {wlan0} up (assuming wlan0 is your wireless interface)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:10pm On Dec 15, 2011
ok, will check tomorrow. i don close

thing is i know it wont come on cuz somehow the button dont work anymore.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:52pm On Jan 02, 2012
Since everyone has been silent for a while let me use this opportunity to wish everyone a happy new year. It seems that most of the people on this thread have become pros now (which is a good thing). Ok let me throw this question out (though i doubt anyone will be able to help me): I presently use swift - with the usb dongle. Now the problem is i don't believe there's a linux driver for it. Presently i use a windows in vm to connect and then share that internet connection with the host os. Anyway is there anyone that uses the swift usb dongle and has gotten it to work any other way?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:22am On Jan 03, 2012
i think u should get the device ID and details an report it on that hardware compatibility page ubuntu setup a while ago.

meanwhile, its made by which manufacturer? huawei? cuz i think u may have to do that old hack of adding the hardware id to some files.

been a while o, cant even remember which files we used to edit, did that last in 9.04. google is always ur friend tho grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:37am On Jan 05, 2012
I need to tether a bb, with bis not just as a modem. What are my options pls
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:13am On Jan 05, 2012
sorry can't help you there, i'm one of those people that have bad belle for iphone and bb
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2012
Me too but someborry dashed me a faulty storm. Its 3g and glo 1.4k comes wit 3gig. Cheap option for browsing if I can make it work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:15pm On Jan 05, 2012
well i that case, enjoy; would do the same thing in your shoes, dem no dey turn down awuf
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
4llerbuntu:

I need to tether a bb, with bis not just as a modem. What are my options pls

Speaking from research done a while back, I think your options are very slim indeed. First of all, I don't think you can tether data on a BIS subscription. I think it is only possible, even on windows, to tether only if you have a normal data plan. Don't take my word for it sha. Do your own research.

Secondly, the state of BB support on linux is not good at all. Most at time, the only thing you can do OOTB is charge the phone. If you want filesystem access via USB, you have to do some terminal acrobatics which at the end might not even work. Hence, if you cannot even get decent USB drivers to enable file transfer support, i highly doubt tethering is supported via USB.

Thirdly, you can try tethering via Bluetooth. Don't know how well this would work, or if it will at all. From experience, even file transfer via bluetooth doesnt work on Ubuntu as the phone recognises only the ability to play audio via the bluetooth when the computer is paired (don't even know if that works).

All in all, from my own little research, the likelihood of you being able to tether your BB phone using Ubuntu is slim to nil.
Let know if your'e able to do it sha.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by MILAGROS: 12:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
Ubuntu is a computer operating system based on the Debian Linux distribution and distributed as free and open source software.The prevailing wisdom about Linux on the desktop runs something like this: "I'll believe Linux is ready for the desktop as soon as you can give me a Linux distribution that even my grandmother can run."Ubuntu is sponsored by the UK-based company Canonical Ltd., owned by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth. Canonical generates revenue by selling technical support and services related to Ubuntu, while the operating system itself is entirely free of charge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:09pm On Jan 14, 2012
@milagros
no offense but what exactly is your point?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by toysmall: 10:30am On Jan 18, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:53am On Jan 19, 2012
blackweaver:

@milagros
no offense but what exactly is your point?
I seconded that! Well, no information is useless. His explanation is correct though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:02am On Jan 19, 2012
all u cutting edge people, who has tried unity 5?

what has your experience been like? any breakages?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 12:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
do i need to partition my hardisk b4 i can install ubuntu linux

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2012
K_bimz:

do i need to partition my hardisk b4 i can install ubuntu linux

if you already have windows installed on your pc, you will need to create partition for your ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2012
I have BRAND new AND USED 16GB BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK FOR SELL, used: 60k, new:75k, pm me if interested: 07036694693. location: Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 7:22pm On Jan 22, 2012
guys must i partition my hard_drive b4 i installed linux(ubuntu). pls i need a reply as soon as possibel
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 7:52pm On Jan 22, 2012
K_bimz:

guys must i partition my hard_drive b4 i installed linux(ubuntu). pls i need a reply as soon as possibel

I already gave a reply. if you already have windows installed on your pc, you will need to create partition for your ubuntu. If the windows is not important to you then go ahead and install linux without partitioning.

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.