Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464865 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
Camino is looking like just the UI i need!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:38am On Mar 08, 2012
been a while o, whats up with everybody?

anybody rocking 12.04 beta yet?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:34pm On Mar 12, 2012
haven't even had time to rock 11.10 properly, what with unreliable nepa and so much activity during the weekend; i think i'm slowing down
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
blackweaver: haven't even had time to rock 11.10 properly, what with unreliable nepa and so much activity during the weekend; i think i'm slowing down

Lol. Ur not alone.
Even trying to figure out why my HTPC is doing spontaneous reboots.

Havnt had time to see if its ram or hard drive.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 11:41am On Mar 19, 2012
Does ubuntu need an anti virus installed?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:51am On Mar 25, 2012
Technically you don't. Essentially there are very few viruses that work with Linux so the chances of ur pc getting infected are very low, that said, if u can get one it won't hurt tho i think one comes with ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by TheArbiter: 5:28am On Apr 04, 2012
@purplekayc @blackweaver

Generally, it is presumed the Linux OS is safe from malware. However, the increased adoption of the OS for enterprise server applications has focused hackers attention to it. Despite this it is still more robust to attacks than Windows due to its modular permissions and kernel structure. Free AV applications for the Linux OS are available for download through the synaptic package manager on most distributions of the OS. The common ones are ClamAv, AVG, Avast and Bitdefender.

I currently run ClamAV on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). Its light, fast and versatile. If u're not a CMD line whiz, it has a GUI as a separate download to facilitate ease of use.

I would advise any1 interested in Linux AV to invest a little time reading up installation and use (If u're interested in using one). Even though simple to install and use, a lot depends on your particular distribution, and cannot be covered in brief tutorials on this forum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 05, 2012
Has anybody tried Elive E17 Compiz on Elive distro release under the title " Where Debian meets Enlightenment"? It is pretty cool. If you haven't tried it you can now download it from the link below, though, it is still on beta.

Link:
http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

Video:
[flash]http://vimeo.com/3119793[/flash]
NB: Take note of the weird sound and lower your volume for convenience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:11am On Apr 11, 2012
Please I've got a tiny issue:

At my work place, there is a single wireless network which is covered by different access points which all share the same SSID. My system automatically selects the access point to connect through based signal strength. The issue is, there is a faulty (i think) access point which happens to be the closest to my desk, thus highest signal strength, that my machine always connects to and my network access gets extremely slow. If I move to another point and thus onto another access point, the network access is back to normal.

My question is "how can i specify which access point (maybe based on mac-address) to connect to from my system". I am running 11.10.

Windows7 can do it so I bet Ubuntu also can
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:06pm On Apr 11, 2012
not on my box now, im at work so i really cannot remember or check

but i do believe network manager allows you to specify preference of networks to connect

when it connects the bad one, disconnect it and connect yourself to the good one and choose it as preferred network??

not sure im afraid , id have to check when i get home but u get my drift
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 11, 2012
is Ubuntu 12.04 stable not that adventurous , as my 11.10 serves me well but it was broken couldn't play MKV had to use some package. Unity is not really my thing switched to Gnome 3, hoping to hear from a 12.04 user here
Re: Ubuntu Linux by newmaonza: 11:48pm On Apr 11, 2012
pc guru: is Ubuntu 12.04 stable not that adventurous , as my 11.10 serves me well but it was broken couldn't play MKV had to use some package. Unity is not really my thing switched to Gnome 3, hoping to hear from a 12.04 user here
yes, unity desktop is rubbish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:55am On Apr 12, 2012
new maonza: yes, unity desktop is rubbish
I disagree. Unity 4 for 11.10 and 5.0 for 12.04 lts are almost flawless. Get a good hardware and you would enjoy unity 5.0 for 12.04 LTS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:47am On Apr 12, 2012
hmm seems we're having an argument here, perhaps i should join in the fray; personally i've stopped using ubuntu (more or less)
i now use mint with mate/cinnamon - either that or use gnome3 - fallback mode maybe i'm just too old fashioned
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:27am On Apr 12, 2012
4llerbuntu: not on my box now, im at work so i really cannot remember or check

but i do believe network manager allows you to specify preference of networks to connect

when it connects the bad one, disconnect it and connect yourself to the good one and choose it as preferred network??

not sure im afraid , id have to check when i get home but u get my drift
Thanks man...but it doesn't give me the option to select as the network is collapsed into a single name.

However, I got it working. Here's what I did:

1. In terminal, run the command iwlist wlan0 scan : where wlan0 is the name of my wireless adapter
This gave me a list of all visible access points replicating the network in my office.

2. I picked the address of the access point I'd prefer to connect to (the one with the highest signal level beside the faulty one).

3. I opened up the settings for the wireless network and place the address i copied from above into the BSSID field on the edit screen

...saved and viola!!! I get connected to that access point always!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2012
Had to use linux because I work with PHP and its the closest to configuring ur server online, the unity 12.04 looks nice how stable is it ? I cud update if its stable enuff
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 4:13pm On Apr 12, 2012
pls ao can i uninstall ubuntu linux
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 12, 2012
depends uninstall for which os ? besides you can always have multiple shells, ubuntu rocks not sure why i'd wanna uninstall it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by newmaonza: 7:45pm On Apr 12, 2012
I just installed windows on a partition on ma laptop running ubuntu 9, pls can some1 help me wth steps to rconfigure my laptop to dual boot win vista & ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2012
i won't lie this is a tricky situation, this was how i lost my windows partition if the window is still active, you can either install grub loader for linux or window's grub loader but i have to ask whats the error you're getting, because th slightest move can mess your system, before attempting anything get a usb and create a LiveCD just incase download Universal USB you'll see it or if you have a physical LiveCD but first what error do u get, i dont want you to lose both partition.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2012
upgrading to ubuntu 12.04 i hope i don't regret this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by newmaonza: 10:22pm On Apr 12, 2012
pc guru: i won't lie this is a tricky situation, this was how i lost my windows partition if the window is still active, you can either install grub loader for linux or window's grub loader but i have to ask whats the error you're getting, because th slightest move can mess your system, before attempting anything get a usb and create a LiveCD just incase download Universal USB you'll see it or if you have a physical LiveCD but first what error do u get, i dont want you to lose both partition.
4 now no error codes, it just boots into vista, i tink it has to do with d boot loader
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:37pm On Apr 12, 2012
are you using Wubi or a full linux installation with dual boot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:29am On Apr 13, 2012
pc guru: Had to use linux because I work with PHP and its the closest to configuring ur server online, the unity 12.04 looks nice how stable is it ? I cud update if its stable enuff
I have been using it for days now. It seems to be stabled than any other distro. It is LTS(Long-Term Support) which is usually good for large organization due to its stability. So, it is more stable than others being an LTS0 But, compare to other version releases with that same support is questionable - for time would have to tell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:30am On Apr 13, 2012
Maleeq:
Thanks man...but it doesn't give me the option to select as the network is collapsed into a single name.

However, I got it working. Here's what I did:

1. In terminal, run the command iwlist wlan0 scan : where wlan0 is the name of my wireless adapter
This gave me a list of all visible access points replicating the network in my office.

2. I picked the address of the access point I'd prefer to connect to (the one with the highest signal level beside the faulty one).

3. I opened up the settings for the wireless network and place the address i copied from above into the BSSID field on the edit screen

...saved and viola!!! I get connected to that access point always!!!
What distro would that be?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:46am On Apr 13, 2012
all4naija: What distro would that be?
Ubuntu 11.10, Oneiric
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:52pm On Apr 13, 2012
@ maleeq

I think i was referring to that check box where it says connect automatically. it makes the system do what u want

good to know u solved ur ish.

@ all i honestly think that 12.04 will be a solid release and im yet to hear bad things about it anywhere so feel free to upgrade. i will as soon as i have time on my hands
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
new maonza: 4 now no error codes, it just boots into vista, i tink it has to do with d boot loader

search this thread for how to repair grub2 .

my post, there are many howto online but they dont work,

boot a live cd and use those instructions to install grub and reboot...

or install EASYBCD on windows and use it to add a boot entry for ubuntu.

BE VERY CAREFUL.

if u can be patient when i get to a pc i will post out the instructions for u. otherwise just search nairaland. this thread, its there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 2:40pm On Apr 13, 2012
THIS THEIR USELESS SPAMBOT IS STILL WREAKING HAVOC?

UNBAN ME JOO. RUBBISH!!!

@New maonza the following is for u, i hope u understand it sha

Fix your grub2 after Windows (Ubuntu installed 1st) installation for dual or multi boot with Ubuntu:
[size=18pt][/size]

Tool required:
Live CD Ubuntu

Procedure:

* Boot using your live CD

* Select " Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer "
* Once you've login to desktop run Terminal ( Application > Accessories > Terminal )

* Change to root, using this [enter only red lines] command in Terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo -i
root@ubuntu:~#

* Find partition location of your Ubuntu:

root@ubuntu:~# fdisk -l

example output:
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x10031003

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 6375 19457 105089197+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 6375 11473 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 11474 19457 64131448+ 83 Linux <--- Here

* Create mount-point for ubuntu's partition

root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /media/root

* Mount the partition using this line:

root@ubuntu:~# mount /dev/sda6 /media/root

* Confirm your root location by typing this line:

root@ubuntu:~# ls /media/root

example output
bin dev initrd.img lib32 media proc selinux tmp vmlinuz
boot etc initrd.img.old lib64 mnt root srv usr vmlinuz.old
cdrom home lib lost+found opt sbin sys var

if those line above appear, you may proceed by installing GRUB 2:

root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda

it should give no error messages!!

* Reboot your system! remove the livecd!!!

No Windows ?
No worries,

* Boot to your ubuntu
* Run Terminal to update GRUB2 so that grub able to identify mount-point location for Windows. This can be done by typing this command in Terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo update-grub2
[sudo] password for ubuntu:

example output:
Generating grub.cfg ,
Found Debian background: apollo.tga
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
done

Try reboot again & you should be able to see Windows at Grub menu.

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.