Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (465171 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 4:10pm On Jan 23, 2012
@jmoore, tnx, but will i have 2 burn only d ISO file
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 6:51pm On Jan 23, 2012
K_bimz:

@jmoore, tnx, but will i have 2 burn only d ISO file

Yes, you can burn it to cd or usb flash drive
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 10:37am On Jan 24, 2012
@jmoore, but my laptop is not booting from flash drive, it can only boot from cd or hard drive
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 11:56am On Jan 24, 2012
K_bimz:

@jmoore, but my laptop is not booting from flash drive, it can only boot from cd or hard drive

I hope you have tried to see if you can set it up from the setup menu to boot from usb.
If you have tried and it can't boot from usb, then burn the iso into a cd and use it.Though there is another way of installing from usb without booting. If you want to install linux from usb on a computer that cannot boot from usb, you must have windows xp running on your system, just click the setup file on the usb and it starts installing. It will not work if you are using windows 7
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 12:43pm On Jan 24, 2012
@jmoore, tnx am already installing but is taking much time. Again, it dint ask me d partition i want to get it installed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 12:50pm On Jan 24, 2012
K_bimz:

@jmoore, tnx am already installing but is taking much time. Again, it dint ask me d partition i want to get it installed
just wait till it is finished, but are there any windows files in your system that is important to you? I hope you made a backup of your necessary files if there are any before installing?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 1:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
can anyone help me. av been trying to install ubuntu linux and is realy taking much time.
though am connected to d internet. can dat be d cause?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2012
it should not be taking much time. Are you installing from cd?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2012
its going to take time. its probably downloading updates from the internet since u have the machine connected.

i do hope u know what u doing, cuz from what im reading it sounds like u have overwritten your windows install and have ubuntu on a sole boot!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 3:26pm On Jan 24, 2012
just installed ubuntu linux on my system. soooooo fast. very easy to install. tnx 2 you all on ds forum
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 3:54pm On Jan 24, 2012
do i need to install antivirus on ubuntu. i already av it on my windows though
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 5:55pm On Jan 24, 2012
No, ubuntu is immune to virus. You do not need to install antivirus
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:22am On Jan 25, 2012
Yreee canonical don come again ooo. Anyone seen d new menu idea? watch d video. The unity debate will be childs play
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kbimz: 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2012
pls do i need to install any antivirus(like avast) on ubuntu linux or it came with a default antivirus.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jmoore(m): 6:23pm On Jan 25, 2012
K_bimz:

pls do i need to install any antivirus(like avast) on ubuntu linux or it came with a default antivirus.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 25, 2012
K_bimz:

Always do your update. Press CTLR+ALT+T , type sudo apt-get update into the terminal box and press ENTER key.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:48am On Jan 26, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Yreee canonical don come again ooo. Anyone seen d new menu idea? watch d video. The unity debate will be childs play
I must say, I kinda like the idea o! Saw the video and was impressed. But IMO, it shouldn't replace the menu bars entirely. For instance, how would I know what to search for if I am using an application I am not so conversant with for the first time?

Sha, lets see how it goes when its released.

[flash=450,366]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WW-DHqR3c[/flash]
Sourced from: EFYTimes News
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:47pm On Jan 26, 2012
i see the action has been going on while i was away;

jmoore:

actually ubuntu is NOT immune to virus, it's just that most viruses are written for windows and windows programs do not run on linux
if there was a virus written for linux there is a chance it would infect ubuntu.

For those of you who are fans of the classical gnome interface (4ller i know this is not for you) i just read this: "Linux Mint releases Cinnamon, GNOME 2.x style desktop":
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linux-mint-releases-cinnamon-gnome-2x-style-desktop/10220
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:49pm On Jan 26, 2012
^^^^^
hehehe grin grin grin grin grin

surely, its not for me!! tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:34pm On Jan 26, 2012
truth is, the new HUD thingy is actually very welcome by me, it solves a major gripe i have had with ubuntu for years.

i hate all the indexing apps on ubuntu, they always manage to slow down my pc and somehow they never get to do contextual search properly.

i deal with lots and lots of documents daily and i usually have to simply search for a word i think will be present in the document im looking for. works well on windows start menu.

this looks promisin. i just hope they dont get over excited with it and remove the menus altogether, its still a windows world and i dont think anyone coming from windows will immediately understand having to work with just the keyboard and no menus from the word go
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nicesoul(m): 6:56pm On Feb 10, 2012
Hello Guys,

I am new to Linux, trying to read it up myself. i need you guys help. First, what is the command to change from $ to #? Secondly, how can i navigate to the last folder of /var/www/tomcat/services/middleware/. Middleware cant be found in the server i am trying to access. I tried this command ls -d /var/*/ to display the directories under var. i dont know if i am doing something wrong. please help me.

Regards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:27pm On Feb 11, 2012
Nicesoul:

First, what is the command to change from $ to #?
sudo su -

Nicesoul:

Secondly, how can i navigate to the last folder of /var/www/tomcat/services/middleware/. Middleware cant be found in the server i am trying to access. I tried this command ls -d /var/*/ to display the directories under var. i dont know if i am doing something wrong. please help me.

Regards
to display directories under a path:
ls -l | egrep '^d'

I am not sure if there is a command to list all directories/sub-directory tree information.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:31pm On Feb 11, 2012
well i'm not sure of what you mean by changing from $ to #, do you mean you want to change to root access? if so you use the "su" command
typing su will ask you for root password; however if you're using ubuntu you may not have that password. instead prefixing any comand you want with "sudo" will give that command root priivileges e.g sudo ls
as to the tomcat problem unfortunately i haven't used tomcat for a while; what exactly are you looking for? did you install tomcat and are looking for it 'cos i'm almost sure tomcat doesn't come installed by default. please give more info so we can help you look up possible solutions
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 7:59am On Feb 12, 2012
Unity is really shaping up nicely. Can't wait for 12.04. However, unlike with 11.10, I won't be dowoading Alpha or Beta images cos I don't have time to look for bugs and that's the only reason you should use dev version OS anyway
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 12, 2012
Nicesoul:

Hello Guys,

I am new to Linux, trying to read it up myself. i need you guys help. First, what is the command to change from $ to #? Secondly, how can i navigate to the last folder of /var/www/tomcat/services/middleware/. Middleware cant be found in the server i am trying to access. I tried this command ls -d /var/*/ to display the directories under var. i dont know if i am doing something wrong. please help me.

Regards
I doubt if sudo su- would give you what you needed but sudo -s [/b]would. That is, it would return you to the root system(like root@whateverssystemname:~$).If you are interested in listing your sub-directories with information in them then you would simply have to use [b]ls -R to do that. I hope that is what you are looking for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:04pm On Feb 14, 2012
@Nicesoul i have another question for you, what linux distro are you actually using? is it ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hi fellas

I am trying to rip tracks off a pal's iPod. I can access the files and have copied it off onto my drive. However, the iPod stores the files with file and folder names as "FN4TH" and "F00". . .this isn't too good for my library where i like dumping files in directories named after the artistes.

In the past, I know I have used an "audio tag" tool that automatically renamed these files and pushes them in folder correctly named based on the tags on the audio files. But I cant recall the app, and I have search the software center so tay I don tire! embarassed

Is there any tool I can use to extract tracks from an iPod and have the files correctly named?

(Hope my need is spelt out clearly)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nicesoul(m): 1:48pm On Feb 20, 2012
sorry guys my response to yourquestions came quite late. I was actually banned from posting here, hence my post was removed. I have figured out the issue. I configured a wrong ip address on my putty, so its navigating to a different directory. I need to do a tail -r of the logs, any help on this? Solution will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:01am On Feb 22, 2012
@ maleeq. Not sure of what u mean but u could try easytag
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:51am On Feb 22, 2012
Has anyone seen the new BOMB announced by ubuntu!!!

yeah man, we taking over.

check it out here: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

this concept puts the G in Genius. it makes sense now, it makes sense now
GNOME? MINT? pah!! chop dirt abeg.

now its becoming clear why ubuntu forked. . . . . . . and im liking it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Has anyone seen the new BOMB announced by ubuntu!!!

yeah man, we taking over.

check it out here: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

this concept puts the G in Genius. it makes sense now, it makes sense now
GNOME? MINT? pah!! chop dirt abeg.

now its becoming clear why ubuntu forked. . . . . . . and im liking it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Niceeeeeeeeeee! This is so cool! I think I have to gear up and go get me an Android phone soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.