Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? (58767 Views)

Who Invented The Popular Nigerian Relationship Slogan "Have You Eaten" ??? / Check Out This Romantic Picture Of A Caring Boyfriend / When A Girl Is Saying No But Her Actions Is Saying Yes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by beneff(m): 11:11am On Jan 05, 2013
Hello house, am i the only one trying to really understand what it means when ladies (no matter their distance from u) pop up dis question. Often times when u say 'yes' d next question may be about what u ate and when d answer is 'no or not yet' d next would be 'look for something to eat nah...' dose this actually mean love or just a way of.........

2 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by k2039: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2013
It's a default questions with a default answer.

It has nothing to do with care.

Just like asking how are you, which doesn't necessarilly mean I care, just a form of greeting and conversation starter.

How are you? Fine.

Have you eaten? Yes
What did you eat?........

Have you eaten? No.
Get something to eat? .......

14 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by hrmkz: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2013
That what they all do to show care and concern. Its kuuul.
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by beneff(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2013
suprisingly when a lady says she has not eaten and go further to prob and u find out she broke u wld b compelled to do something, whereas in a guys case she wont even bother suggesting means of u getting some money.
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 05, 2013
Any day I don't ask my bf if he has eaten, it simply means am angry...
The guy doesn't eat so I try to make him eat...

4 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by beneff(m): 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2013
TEA esq™:
Any day I don't ask my bf if he has eaten, it simply means am angry...
The guy doesn't eat so I try to make him eat...
i think yours is kinda geniune, u doing it for a known reason.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 05, 2013
It shows that you care about the well being of the person.

If I don't care about you, I won't give a damn if you have eaten or not. And it's not just a greeting. In fact, that is not a greeting.

17 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Caracta(f): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2013
I think it's because the person cares. Personally, i don't just ask the question for no reason. In fact, i don't ask all the time...but when i do, it is important.

I like it when people ask me if i have eaten. This is because i'm not a food person, sometimes i even forget that i've not eaten. When they ask, i feel forced to do it.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by dmcdad: 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
I think it shows a bit of care if not to a great extent... Have you eaten it? is more of a personal question. It doesn't necessarily mean love, but it shows or rather it's a sign of care and concern for the welfare of the person. Personally, I can't go as far as asking someone if he/she has eaten if the person is not dear to me in one way or the other....

So, I think it's a sign of care and concern for the welfare of the person...

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2013
Most times, I see it as a form of keeping a conversation going!

You can't keep asking him/her everyday if he or she has eaten.

Though, it could be showing that you care but that's a minor, really.

4 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Adolak(m): 1:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
I love to read females comment. I just dont know why.

3 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by True2myself24(f): 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2013
I ask because he gets off of work late and by the time he gets home he doesn't want to go to the kitchen to eat anything, he just wants to sleep. And he's been losing weight lately so gotta make sure he eats.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
I so hate that question!!! I wonder why some guys ALWAYs ask that, right after 'how was ur day?' u say fine and the next thing is 'have u eaten?' and it happens in every conversation
another thing, 'hey i was sleeping wen u called, am really really tired' he acts like he's deaf and goes 'wat did u do that u r tired?' did u go out? 'did u stress yourself?' 'when should i call back?' bla bla bla wen he should just say 'oh then, rest well i will call u back' so annoying

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Rotmyt: 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2013
"Have you eaten" has nothing to do with care. Especially the "what did you eat" part when it comes from someone other than my man. Me thinks its a cheap move by guys.

3 Likes

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by greatgod2012(f): 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
Persnally i ask such question because i care for the person, if i dont care for you, what is my business with you eating or not. In addition, you cant ask a stranger such question, there are few pple i can ask that type of question, definately my hubby, my mum and probably my siblings and my close friends. Apart from these set of pple, what is my business if you chose to eat or not.
So, i can say its a way of showing care and concern.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by beneff(m): 6:16pm On Jan 10, 2013
my question is asking someone u are or think u are in a relationship with, asking a family member dis question during conversations is not the thing here but some one u are not in d same locality with and whenever d answer is "no" d readily available next wld be 'try nd get something to eat' .
i ve really learnt alot frm ur comments on dis thread especially d ladies on dis thread.
never knew guy ask dis question too......
One love!
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by cindyrella(f): 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2013
I usually don't ask such questions but when I do, its only because I care.
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by marianazme(f): 2:11am On Jan 11, 2013
I dnt ask animore cuz I know he's a workaholic n hardly remembers to eat. Most times d answer is no n tellin him to find sumthin to eat on d phone is a waste of time so I just cook n take it over or I cook at his place.
Yeah, it usually means they care
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by djeezy(m): 5:37am On Jan 11, 2013
Sometimes it's just a modus operandi of keeping a convo in vibrant verve and often times a little way of showing care. If it's coming from someone you love, you'll be excited he/she asked. Have you eaten? No...' okay, can you meet me up for lunch@...
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by nlofficial(m): 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2013
Adolak: I love to read females comment. I just dont know why.

At least you're being positive. The opposite would have been Gaye! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by hassymo5(m): 12:47pm On Jan 14, 2013
its a sign of caring, cos is nt everyone dat ask you such question, only if that person care,,, it si mostly ask by ladies cos its their responsibility to feed their man,,i have never ask her the question but she always ask me,, that is a sign of love
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Pacesetter2: 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
It just makes emptyhen deduct my money...if you ask then my reply will be "what do you prepare for me"...rawbish...if i say no...na stupid reply go follow

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by nyema91: 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
personally,i ask d question because i care muc abt d person,u cn nt go to dat estent if u dt care abt d person,i lv carin friends ad family member to ask me if i hv eaten,i recognise it ad appreciate it.
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by moneyhungry(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
me: have you eaten?
girl: no.
me: why?
girl: i want to eat at Mr Biggs.
me: eat a fat d*ck bi*tch!

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
Omg. I'm guilty as charged. Wt me though, its more of caring than default. I think its dat motherly nature in women that make u want to make sure he at least ate. But its funny though cos i ask that question to my friend who is thousand miles away
Am so guilty here
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by HayZee06(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
If u like eat if u like don't, u dey toy with ulcer ni
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
what kind of caring is that? ok, I can accept that from my family members and close friends...but not a random person asking me if I've eaten, what the hell is that?
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Jarus(m): 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
Tell that Great Ife students smiley
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by drzed: 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
It is not necessarily caring to ask someone 'have you eaten?'. This question is suitable only for kids. It is almost similar to 'have you brushed your teeth?'; 'have you done your homework?'... etc.

It can be condescending to ask your mates such a question. It is in fact, utterly disrespectful to ask your elders whether they have eaten or not. For your mates and elders therefore, it is polite, respectful and mature to ask them: 'would you like something to eat?' (if you add '...please' at the end, that is even better).

Although both types of questions aim for the same objective (i.e. the assassination of hunger) but the manner of approach or 'how' the question is paraphrased can determine how the person being questioned takes it. For me, anyone younger than me has no right (or reason) to ask me if I have eaten or not. So what if I have eaten? He/she had better ask if I would like something to eat.

The same logic can also be applied even to kids. If you are really caring to any person (kid or adult), then it is insignificant whether they have 'chopped' or not (i.e. the past is the past). What really matters is would they like some food or not (right here, right now).

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by xynerise: 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2013
Asking me "have you eaten?" without providing the food for me when I say No is definitely not caring angry

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 14, 2013
nl.official:

At least you're being positive. The opposite would have been Gaye! cheesy
Okay! I hate to read female comments. I don't know why. undecided
Re: Is Saying "Have You Eaten?" Caring? by azpekuliar: 1:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
off-topic: But hasn't a similar thread made the front page recently?

@topic: Ladies ask me that question all the time, during chat sessions. On the surface it looks like they 'care', but if the question comes up late in the session, 80% of the time I just interpret it as a way to get the conversation going.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Bitter Truth For Guys Trying To Maintain Distant Relationships / Ladies, Know The Type Of Work A Guy Does Before Agreeing To Be His Girlfriend / Man Rests On His Fiancee's Chest In Cute Pre-Wedding Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.