Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week (15334 Views)

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites / Jonathan Commissions Geregu-II Power Station / 434 MW Geregu 11 Power-plant Completed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by nameo: 4:42am On Jan 09, 2013
[b]BARRING any unforeseen circumstances, one of the nation’s National Integrated Power Projects (NIPPs) - Geregu power plant would commence power generation to national grid by this weekend. The plant is expected to take-off with about 144Mega Watts (MW).

The Deputy General Manager, Communications and Public Relations, Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPCH), Yakubu Lawal, who confirmed this to The Guardian Tuesday, said all arrangements have been put in place, and the plant would be ready for take-off by Friday.

According to him, the plant, which operates on three unit turbines, would start generation from one of the units, thereby churning out about 144Mega Watts (MW) to the national grid. Geregu power plant located in Kogi State has a combined capacity of 434MW.

Lawal said the plant was first fired on Friday, while other integrity tests have been carried out, adding that gas supply is presently steady for the plant’s take-off.

The other two units according to him, are therefore expected to be fired by the end of first quarter of the year.

He described this feat as a major achievement towards growing the nation’s generation capacity, even as he confirmed that the Omotosho power plant in Ondo State (Phase II) has commenced full operation in December.

With the commencement of its fourth unit, the power plant is now operating at full capacity, boosting the national grid by another 500MW.

A visit to the power plant recently showed that the phase II of the facility is up and running through a combined turbine units.

The Managing Director, NDPHC, James Olotu, who inspected the new power plant in Ondo State recently, was very impressed about the project and optimistic that the plant would serve as critical factor to the nation’s generation capacity.

Omotosho power plant is in two phases-the phase one has installed capacity of 335mw, while the phase II has a 500mw capacity. The plant operates on four turbine units of 125mw each. It is presently operating on a temporary gas arrangement, while the main gas process is at advanced stage.

Olotu, had also noted that power generation from the NIPP projects has peaked 1,687MW and expected to reach about 4,800MW by May 2014.

He stated that with the completion of all the gas turbine projects, the NIPP capacity would hit 4,264MW by the end of 2013, adding that there would be follow up on the outstanding combined cycle for Alaoji (510MW) this year.

The NDPHC boss also assured of follow up on the completion of transmission and distribution projects, while plans are in the pipeline to complete gas projects and conclude all Gas Sales Aggregator Agreements (GSAA) and Gas Transmission Agreements (GTA).[/b]

Meanwhile, the contractor handling Sokoto Independent Power Project (IPP) project has promises to complete the project in seven months.

An official of MJB International, Mr Jim Page, suppliers of the N3.8 billion equipment for the project, said all hands were be on deck to complete the project within sevenmonths.

“The project is a reality and it will be completed in the next seven months, hopefully with no delays,”

However, the Secretary to the Sokoto State Government, Alhaji Sahabi Gada, said that the bulk of the equipment needed to complete the project had been transported to Sokoto.

“The remainder equipment contained in about fifteen containers has all arrived in Lagos and will be transported to Sokoto in the next few days. The project will be a reality and it is aimed at boosting power supply in Sokoto State. It will also attract more investors to our state. We want to augment power supply from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) from the present megawatts ratio,” he said.

The General Manager (Operations), Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), a subsidiary of the PHCN, Atiku Tambuwal, said PHCN is happy with the partnership, assuring residents of the state of unflinching support of PHCN to the project.

“Sokoto State’s current electricity consumption need is between 60 and 65 mega watts. Presently, the state gets electricity supply of not more than 25 mega watts. But the IPP project will greatly boost power supply to the state,” he said.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109925:geregu-plant-to-begin-power-generation-this-week&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

2 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by nameo: 4:44am On Jan 09, 2013
At least President Jonathan is doing well in Power. We all pray that this year would be even better in terms of power for the nation, especially with the Privatisation program.

2 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 09, 2013
All these infrastructure being built here and there should be secured because the HATERS and PAY-AS-YOU-GO critics, both fearing lose of relevance and source of income, can sponsor or personally vandalize those infrastructure.

That is the COMPLEXITY of Nigeria. The govt does not only spend money in building infrastructures, it also has to spend money in PROTECTING these infrastructures from the devils in the society.

16 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jason123: 5:53am On Jan 09, 2013
Good one from GEJ!
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by 2Legit2Qui: 7:55am On Jan 09, 2013
They will soon say its a lie.

1 Like

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by outrage: 9:41am On Jan 09, 2013
So GEJ gave contract to build this plant? Is that what you people are saying?

Tell that to drunken fishermen
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 09, 2013
nice one. GEJ is working, haters are screaming

4 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Okijajuju1(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2013
He came... He Promised.... He is delivering..........

FRESH BREEZE 2015.. In Joe we Trust....

8 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by BusHouse(m): 9:47am On Jan 09, 2013
No wonder power has been steady in my area for the past one month. Kudos to gej. 5th to comment.

3 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: All these infrastructure being built here and there should be secured because the HATERS and PAY-AS-YOU-GO critics, both fearing lose of relevance and source of income, can sponsor or personally vandalize those infrastructure.

That is the COMPLEXITY of Nigeria. The govt does not only spend money in building infrastructures, it also has to spend money in PROTECTING these infrastructures from the devils in the society.

Keep deluding your sorry self. You actually think critics are sadists and are looking for opportunities to destroy FG infrastructure. I support GEJ but not by attacking his critics, not cos i believe he is a competent man, but cos i want him to spite the SW & North. Basically, i support him dubiously cos that way i can get his opponents put him under immense pressure to either man up or convoke a SNC for the inevitable dissolution of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by obicentlis: 9:50am On Jan 09, 2013
Not pessimistic but till I see the effect in my house, then I will believe.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 9:50am On Jan 09, 2013
Again, i salute the OBJ admin for initiating and commencing this project
Secondly, kudos to the retardeen for sustaining it.
However, am concerned that we dont have sufficient transmission capability to adequately evacuate the very little MWs we are presently generating which is very important as it will determine if Nigerians have power supply in their homes or not.
This is where i expect the retardeen to focus more on.

4 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by TRILLIONIAR: 9:51am On Jan 09, 2013
BARRING ANY UNFORESEEN? THEY ARE NOT EVEN SURE OF THE PROJECT
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by gbadexy(m): 9:51am On Jan 09, 2013
He stated that with the completion of all
the gas turbine projects, the NIPP
capacity would hit 4,264MW by the end of
2013, adding that there would be follow
up on the outstanding combined cycle for
Alaoji (510MW) this year.

I though the power generation has reached 4300 MW before, which one is this at the end of a whole year again(2013).

1 Like

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:52am On Jan 09, 2013
GEJ is working by commissioning infrastructures that were contracted out before his term of office or are the fruits of private companies and initiatives put in place as far back as the obasanjo led Govt?

sometimes i wonder about the IQ requirements of being employed as a GEJ mouthpiece and of course blindly supporting this PDP led Govt.

im not surprised though. This country still has a majority population of illiterates and most of the ones who purport to have had some form of education are functional illiterates.

this type of asinine fuckery is to be expected

GEJ is WORKING Y'ALL. Pop Shampoo!! wink wink wink

3 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 09, 2013
iv4fb: nice one. GEJ is working, haters are screaming
First of all,nobody should be referred to a hater who points out the shortcomings of the Government of his Country,its called patriotism. 2.whether hater or not,no right thinking ...or more correctly;honest... Citizen can deny that since his administration started, GEJ has been a very big disappointment and disgrace. 3.Since...until when ...if... He can do things to change that,which in M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ opinion he seems on his way to doing as shown by this and other projects.
Power supply has increased noticeably and undeniably from late last year till now...all things being equal obviously... I hope he keeps it up.

2 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by lat4real: 9:55am On Jan 09, 2013
Awesome. Atleast there is improvement of power supply in my area.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:56am On Jan 09, 2013
gbadexy:
He stated that with the completion of all
the gas turbine projects, the NIPP
capacity would hit 4,264MW by the end of
2013, adding that there would be follow
up on the outstanding combined cycle for
Alaoji (510MW) this year.

I though the power generation has reached 4300 MW before, which one is this at the end of a whole year again(2013).

HEHEHE u mean u actually believe all this Mega Watts nonsense?
GEJ's Mega Watts have been 4,500 since early last year naw. never mind that they keep claiming to have added to it. watch carefully from henceforth. its always 4,500 thereabouts grin grin grin grin grin grin

mumu's will always be mumu's. during Obasanjo's regime there was a time when it was also 4,500 megawatts. Mega Watts of stupidity

1 Like

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by duality(m): 10:01am On Jan 09, 2013
I still don't understand this. I know Geregu to have an installed capacity of 414 mw.(gt1, gt 2 and gt3) although geregu operates as an island, it has its own challenges hence, it has never worked at installed capacity nor was it connected to the grid. however a phase 2 of the project was proposed.

now has the problems of phase 1 been fixed?

is geregu now connected to the national grid?

how did they come about 434mw.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by DANILSA(m): 10:04am On Jan 09, 2013
4llerbuntu:

GEJ's Mega Watts have been 4,500 since early last year naw. never mind that they keep claiming to have added to it. watch carefully from henceforth. its always 4,500 thereabouts grin grin grin grin grin grin

mumu's will always be mumu's. during Obasanjo's regime there was a time when it was also 4,500 megawatts. Mega Watts of stupidity
I WEEP FOR YOUR GENERATION cry cry cry IF DEMDEM CAN AGREE TO SOME IMPROVEMENT THEN I WONDER THE HOLE YOU CAME OUT FROM undecided lipsrsealed ENEMY OF POWER DON FAIL tongue tongue tongue
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Greatken007(m): 10:04am On Jan 09, 2013
Who started this project is nt our problem bt who wil bring it to reality,if dey started it y didnt dey finish it 21years ago?GEJ is stil the most dependable among all.People should pls tell me what Buhari is coming 2 do in Aso Villa again,atleast Atiku can stil be trying his lock bt nt IBB bt dat should definately be after 2019
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 10:05am On Jan 09, 2013
4llerbuntu:

Bros, read the article again slowly and gain indepth understanding . . . .he was simply referring to the current on stream NIPP's generating capacities and not the entire power generating stations

Egbin thermal plant which generates the highest can't be categorized as an NIPP project neither can the Kainji dam power generating plant be designated as same.. . .

Olotu, had also noted that power generation from the NIPP projects has peaked 1,687MW and expected to reach about 4,800MW by May 2014.

Buntu baba . .by your understanding, we are generating 1,687MW since the NIPP projects peaked on that value cheesy . . .

3 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by emron1(m): 10:07am On Jan 09, 2013
well gej is trying but they need to give states power to generate and distribute power.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Greatken007(m): 10:08am On Jan 09, 2013
Since 1960 Nigeria has nt gotten upto 2800MW bt GEJ has top it up beyond our thought,go and check records,come to my Area and see provess for urselves
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by vanstanzy(m): 10:10am On Jan 09, 2013
At long last!
But how does FG plan on contending with the Power saboteurs? Cos we know they exist, (and Atiku is one of 'em wink wink wink).
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by slimfit1(m): 10:10am On Jan 09, 2013
outrage: So GEJ gave contract to build this plant? Is that what you people are saying?

Tell that to drunken fishermen

Don't mind them oh I don't think they know how long it takes to build most of these equipments and how long you have to wait to deliver them to location OBJ we don't like you at list you try. Ask this people since when did Jonathan became president and check the time these power plants started operating.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 09, 2013
nice one. shame to haters.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 09, 2013
GEJ haters will always find faults. Ride on Boss. 2015 we shall prove them wrong once more
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Sibrah: 10:12am On Jan 09, 2013
Thank God for Power being generated. How is it going to be transmitted?
We don't need anymore of FG scam. If the transmission capacity of our national grid is far below our generating capacity, common wisdom dictates that the government focus on building transmission lines to take those areas with electricity towards 24 hrs supply and electrify those areas that have not been electrified. By building more generating plant at the expense of power transmission which according to the Presidency, we are lagging behind in, either GEJ is one big scam/scum or those advising him are.
BTW, what is the individual transmission capacity of each of the DISCOs?
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by peace3: 10:18am On Jan 09, 2013
nameo:

At least President Jonathan is doing well in Power. We all pray that this year would be even better in terms of power for the nation, especially with the Privatisation program.KEEP QUITE.OBASANJO PROJECTS THAT STARTED IN 2004 AND LATE YAR'ADUA GAVE N43BILLION FOR PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION THAT WILL EVACUATE GAS TO THE STATIONS AT OMOTOSHO,PAPALANTO AND GEREGU,YOU ARE GIVEN CREDIT TO ONE WHO DID ALMOST NOTHING JUST BECAUSE ITS HAPPENING UNDER HIS NOSE.OBASANJO HAS 70%,LATE YAR'ADUA 18% AND GEJ 12%. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 10:19am On Jan 09, 2013
slim fit :

Don't mind them oh I don't think they know how long it takes to build most of these equipments and how long you have to wait to deliver them to location OBJ we don't like you at list you try. Ask this people since when did Jonathan became president and check the time these power plants started operating.

Lets get this straight. Building a power plant is no big deal. Its an established technology, no inventions on our part whatsoever and parts speedily available on demand. As at 2007, China was building 2 Power stations every week. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6769743.stm
I dont even expect us to be like China or come close to half of what they can acheive for now but we can obviously do more than what we are doing presently if we have the right well-focussed leadership.

Secondly, considering the amount we have invested so far into power and the output we have gotten so far, i obviously believe we have criminals as leaders.

By the way, am still in darkness in my hood here in PH.

2 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by tunalism(m): 10:24am On Jan 09, 2013
GEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbowGEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbow
GEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Arase, Kanu Nwankwo, John Fashanu & Others At A Police Event In Abuja.Photos / "Foreigners Were Used To Win The 2015 Presidential Elections" - Reno Omokri / Reno Omokri Celebrates His 44th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.