Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola (23776 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Abuja Light Rail Will Be Ready In May 2015 / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Revolva(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
june....umm i dont think so it can be completed by june? well let dem work harder.....ok...because these folks have not even reached started the clearing and demolition at okokomaiko not to talk of badagry......
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Pharoh: 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
Revolva: june....umm i dont think so it can be completed by june? well let dem work harder.....ok...because these folks have not even reached started the clearing and demolition at okokomaiko not to talk of badagry......

I think they are talking about completing the orile to mile 2 part while intensifying work on the other two parts that extends to okokomaiko and marina.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by naptu2: 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2013
Let's also remember some of the reasons for this project.

The Badagry Expressway was built to open up the western axis of Lagos, decongest the City of Lagos and also as part of the Trans-African Highway project. The Federal Government built the Festac Town, Satellite Town and Trade Fair Complex in that axis for the same reason.

However, the population growth has overwhelmed the infrastructure there. This has resulted in massive traffic jams. While other parts of the state like the Lekki-Epe axis, the Ikorodu axis and the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway axis were witnessing rapid growth, the western axis remained stagnant because of the awful traffic jams witnessed on the Badagry Expressway.

Meanwhile, the City of Lagos was experiencing congestion, traffic jams and lack of space.

This project will open up that axis for the proposed Badagry Deep Water Port and the proposed Badagry Business District. It will hopefully lead to an increase in residential estates in the area and help in decongesting the City of Lagos.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 09, 2013
thelastPope: This is the reason why people will continue to call all you ACN sychophants out. The level of propaganda you do is just shameful. While the rail project is a good project, the fact that you bring out one new thread every time half a meter of track is laid is just hillarious. The Abuja city light rail project has passed 50% completion with no noise or fanfare. If the abuja guys were doing the same propaganda as you ACN guys, NL will be filled with such stories by now. Orile-mile 2 is just 4 minutes drive by road. How is that a great achievement by train? Let the project continue and when it is done and Lagosians can enjoy it, then you can come here and spam us with your posts. For now, keep the spam down and stop announcing to us every track that is being laid. Remember this is the standard you all always demand from the FG. If the FG where announcing every single step they take on NL, the NL servers would have crashed several times over. I will personally laud him if he can conclude a significant part of the rail line. For now, its all politics and noise making.

The positive angle to all this is that we're engaging in regional rivalry over infrastructural development, which is good for the country.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by oilyngbati1: 7:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
kingoflag:

Shameless tw>at! Does Lagos State have the power and might of the Federal Government? With all the funds available to it, is a "Light Rail" what the FG should be building as rail service in Abuja? You want us to put up pictures of the 1872 coal locomotive Lagos-Kano route theyve been shameless hailing as resurgence of the rail industry? Man, yall fu%ckas are something else.

Mr kingoFAG, why all the insult(s)? why don't you goat just deabate like a civilised human rather than a bushman...mumu cheesy. Meanwhile, continue licking Fashola's ar.se like your fellow goon eko-ole.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 12:01am On Jan 10, 2013
bashy_demy: This guy said Orile to mile 2 is 4min drive, Are you dreaming?

Actually, without traffic, Orile to mile 2 is less than 4 minutes drive. There are only about 6 bus stops in between them.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by koruji(m): 2:25am On Jan 10, 2013
Sorry for you o!

Sincere 9gerian: Very good development.
However based on this statement:

“This is what we do with the loan collected by the government. We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure, what we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would serve the residents"...Fashola

If this project is being executed with loan, what does the state govt do with N30billion monthly revenue?

But whether with loans or not, let the project (even if its just the first phase) be completed for the good of the people.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Nobody: 3:50am On Jan 10, 2013
One thing that bugs me when Nigeria is building something big is maintenance.

Majority of the aspect of maintenance lies with the people.

I will like to enter the train but not when people will pack like sardine.

Whatever the case, if air conditioner is not available, people will not patronize it.

If air conditioner is available, driving will become a thing for leisure times only because lagosians are very economical with their money no matter how small. Only JJC and money miss road in Lagos that will live close to where the rail is and still use his car to go where the train goes.

LASTMA should be ready to handle people with respect and professional attitude oo.

Just put air conditioner and anti septic air fresheners (Not like the ones in hospitals oo).

Seriously, completing the rail is only half the job. Making people patronize it is very very important.

You want all Lagosians from rich to poor to actually feel comfortable to use the trains.

Air freshener, air conditioner, kept clean, no turn fabric, etcc and security. No security, no ride!

Trust me, this rail projects can change many things in Lagos not just transportation! As long as there is air conditioner, air freshener and security, Lagos will move on staying on track!
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olafolarin(m): 3:59am On Jan 10, 2013
thelastPope:

Actually, without traffic, Orile to mile 2 is less than 4 minutes drive. There are only about 6 bus stops in between them.
[quote author=thelastPope]

That's like from Jibowu to Ketu on Ikorodu Road.Though little but something.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by mapet: 8:47am On Jan 10, 2013
We don't know how short some distances are in Lagos till we travel on a "free" day. The distance between my house in Gbagada and Church in TBS is 20mins on an early sunday morning. Same takes almost 1.5hrs on some crazy traffic days. Now Imagine what edge we'll have with train services.

I'm always fancinated when I traverse in both London and Newyork with train. You could time your movements and will be dead right
olafolarin: thelastPope:

[quote author=thelastPope]

That's like from Jibowu to Ketu on Ikorodu Road.Though little but something.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by mapet: 9:15am On Jan 10, 2013
@ Olumide,

I think we should brace ourselves for some realities when the train services starts.
1. People will be parked like sardines. Even in UK, US, China, Malaysia etc, people are parked like sardines during rush hour. Besides, driving to Islands will become pretty much more expensive. Car park services will increase fees to about 1k(there are places in Newyork, where parking fees are pushing $100), hence lots of people will only drive on weekends.

2. Maintenance is something we'll have to deal with along the line. I think Lagos State goverment had been prepared for this long before the populace came to the awareness of this project. In Jan 2008, I was in London and Lagos State as far as then came to headhunt Nigerians working in UNDERGROUND/London Train. The advert was in the media. The same I learnt was done in US and Canada.I was wondering back then why headhunt so early? I believe those guys have been put under a program of knowledge transfer in all areas of running the trains and maintenance inclusive

3. Still on Maintenance, I believe we have the infrastructure we can leverage on. Railway compound in Ebute Metta is a huge moribund infrastructure that will be resurcitated. Both the FG and the LSG can collaborate to run the place. The workshop serving as maintenance ground and we can begin to manufacture some parts ourselves. I envision a future where we build Nigerian-made trains. If Nigerdock can translate knowledge acquired into building boats and lately an Oil-Rig then it is possible.

4. Trust me, people will patronize the train from day 1. The middle-class and low-class are a huge number. Can you imagine the number of people we classify as low-class, trooping to places like Orile, Badia, Apongbon, Idumota, Isale EKo, CMS and environs everyday? not to talk of white collar folks that work in Marina axis, or those that will only need to take connecting BRT into VI? It's a pity that the train services will take a while to get to my area in Gbagada. I don't even drive to work, and I don't give a damn when some people tell me why don't I get a driver. I gladly tell them I don't need one when I enjoy the services of my company's staff bus.

5. You are so on point that this train services will change a lot of things in Lagos. It definitely will multiply commerce and ease of movement in Lagos. More people will be in business and gainfully employed. Maintenance of roads will be easier. traffic will be less in some places.

6. For me, I think subsequent government will have an incentive to extend the train services to inner places in Lagos - Idimu, Alimosho, Alagbado, Ikorodu, Epe etc. till Lagos is fully connected. I'm happy this is starting in my time and I pray it's really gone far before I get too old

0lumide: One thing that bugs me when Nigeria is building something big is maintenance.

Majority of the aspect of maintenance lies with the people.

I will like to enter the train but not when people will pack like sardine.

Whatever the case, if air conditioner is not available, people will not patronize it.

If air conditioner is available, driving will become a thing for leisure times only because lagosians are very economical with their money no matter how small. Only JJC and money miss road in Lagos that will live close to where the rail is and still use his car to go where the train goes.

LASTMA should be ready to handle people with respect and professional attitude oo.

Just put air conditioner and anti septic air fresheners (Not like the ones in hospitals oo).

Seriously, completing the rail is only half the job. Making people patronize it is very very important.

You want all Lagosians from rich to poor to actually feel comfortable to use the trains.

Air freshener, air conditioner, kept clean, no turn fabric, etcc and security. No security, no ride!

Trust me, this rail projects can change many things in Lagos not just transportation! As long as there is air conditioner, air freshener and security, Lagos will move on staying on track!

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by naptu2: 9:33am On Jan 10, 2013
Mapet you just reminded me of something.

Earlier on I wrote about policies that were abandoned after regime change.

In the mid-80s the Babangida government had this policy called Integrated Urban Mass Transit Policy. It encouraged the use of train and ferry services (particularly in Lagos). As part of this policy (and the SAP policy, which in theory was meant to encourage domestic production of goods) NRC engineers built a locomotive at the Ebute Metta yard. The shell of the locomotive (and some of the parts) came from a peugeot J5 bus.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by hercules07: 9:39am On Jan 10, 2013
mapet: @ Olumide,

I think we should brace ourselves for some realities when the train services starts.
1. People will be parked like sardines. Even in UK, US, China, Malaysia etc, people are parked like sardines during rush hour. Besides, driving to Islands will become pretty much more expensive. Car park services will increase fees to about 1k(there are places in Newyork, where parking fees are pushing $100), hence lots of people will only drive on weekends.

2. Maintenance is something we'll have to deal with along the line. I think Lagos State goverment had been prepared for this long before the populace came to the awareness of this project. In Jan 2008, I was in London and Lagos State as far as then came to headhunt Nigerians working in UNDERGROUND/London Train. The advert was in the media. The same I learnt was done in US and Canada.I was wondering back then why headhunt so early? I believe those guys have been put under a program of knowledge transfer in all areas of running the trains and maintenance inclusive

3. Still on Maintenance, I believe we have the infrastructure we can leverage on. Railway compound in Ebute Metta is a huge moribund infrastructure that will be resurcitated. Both the FG and the LSG can collaborate to run the place. The workshop serving as maintenance ground and we can begin to manufacture some parts ourselves. I envision a future where we build Nigerian-made trains. If Nigerdock can translate knowledge acquired into building boats and lately an Oil-Rig then it is possible.

4. Trust me, people will patronize the train from day 1. The middle-class and low-class are a huge number. Can you imagine the number of people we classify as low-class, trooping to places like Orile, Badia, Apongbon, Idumota, Isale EKo, CMS and environs everyday? not to talk of white collar folks that work in Marina axis, or those that will only need to take connecting BRT into VI? It's a pity that the train services will take a while to get to my area in Gbagada. I don't even drive to work, and I don't give a damn when some people tell me why don't I get a driver. I gladly tell them I don't need one when I enjoy the services of my company's staff bus.

5. You are so on point that this train services will change a lot of things in Lagos. It definitely will multiply commerce and ease of movement in Lagos. More people will be in business and gainfully employed. Maintenance of roads will be easier. traffic will be less in some places.

6. For me, I think subsequent government will have an incentive to extend the train services to inner places in Lagos - Idimu, Alimosho, Alagbado, Ikorodu, Epe etc. till Lagos is fully connected. I'm happy this is starting in my time and I pray it's really gone far before I get too old

Good points well made.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:08pm On Jan 10, 2013
mapet: @ Olumide,

This is probably of of the recruits you are talking about.....

Bunmi Folayan is the principal consultant for CPCS Transcom Ltd., a Canadian company that is the lead advisor on a new rail mass transit system under construction in Lagos, Nigeria. The rail line is being built by a Chinese construction firm. - [Erin Conway-Smith/GlobalPost]

http://www.globalpost.com/photo-galleries/5646037/lagos-nigeria-builds-commuter-rail#8

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olajide8(m): 8:30pm On Jan 10, 2013
Stop Lying I live here and I pass here everyday it has been abandoned for lack of finance and no appropriation as usual from the federal government budget
thelastPope: This is the reason why people will continue to call all you ACN sychophants out. The level of propaganda you do is just shameful. While the rail project is a good project, the fact that you bring out one new thread every time half a meter of track is laid is just hillarious. The Abuja city light rail project has passed 50% completion with no noise or fanfare. If the abuja guys were doing the same propaganda as you ACN guys, NL will be filled with such stories by now. Orile-mile 2 is just 4 minutes drive by road. How is that a great achievement by train? Let the project continue and when it is done and Lagosians can enjoy it, then you can come here and spam us with your posts. For now, keep the spam down and stop announcing to us every track that is being laid. Remember this is the standard you all always demand from the FG. If the FG where announcing every single step they take on NL, the NL servers would have crashed several times over. I will personally laud him if he can conclude a significant part of the rail line. For now, its all politics and noise making.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by mapet: 8:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
@naptu2,

I remember vividly. I think it was shown on NTA Newsline or something back then. They used a J5 Bus body.......thanks man

I still affirm that the skill and enablement to domesticate many of these things are plausible in Nigeria. One can only imagine if we'd followed up that effort since the late 80s early 90s. SAP was very beneficial in opening the market space; unfortunately it's only the banking industry that seemed to reap the full benefit

naptu2: Mapet you just reminded me of something.

In the mid-80s the Babangida government had this policy called Integrated Urban Mass Transit Policy. It encouraged the use of train and ferry services (particularly in Lagos). As part of this policy (and the SAP policy, which in theory was meant to encourage domestic production of goods) NRC engineers built a locomotive at the Ebute Metta yard. The shell of the locomotive (and some of the parts) came from a peugeot J5 bus.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by mapet: 8:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
@naptu2,

I remember vividly. I think it was shown on NTA Newsline or something back then. They used a J5 Bus body.......thanks man

I still affirm that the skill and enablement to domesticate many of these things are plausible in Nigeria. One can only imagine if we'd followed up that effort since the late 80s early 90s. SAP was very beneficial in opening the market space; unfortunately it's only the banking industry that seemed to reap the full benefit

naptu2: Mapet you just reminded me of something.

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olajide8(m): 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
I dey my brother water pass garri small, and the price of garri has been affected by our clueless leaders policy *trying to legalize corruption, I would take more pictures as I pass their not too regularly but often, the challenge is driving and taking pictures simultaneously, what they have done is they opened a new work yard where their equipment and utility vehicles are parked, and they are waiting for government fundings for the project to continue
naptu2: Where are the following people

hischoice aka @daEngineerNet I saw his pics on twitter. He had some lovely pics there, even more than the pics he posted on the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1154940/railtrack-construction-commencement-ceremony-lagos-bdgry

olajide_07

Last year he was giving me updates on the Abuja project on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/898591/fashola-woos-foreign-investment-partners
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by naptu2: 7:38am On Jan 11, 2013
olajide_07: I dey my brother water pass garri small, and the price of garri has been affected by our clueless leaders policy *trying to legalize corruption, I would take more pictures as I pass their not too regularly but often, the challenge is driving and taking pictures simultaneously, what they have done is they opened a new work yard where their equipment and utility vehicles are parked, and they are waiting for government fundings for the project to continue

Happy new year bro.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 7:47am On Jan 11, 2013
[quote author=olafolarin][/quote]

Ha! You must live in diaspora! Orile to Mile 2 is a walkable distance. it ia at most, jibowu to palmgrove or slightly after palmgrove. It is 30 naira by bus, N50 peak period, so you can figure it out from that. Jibowu to ketu is 100 by bus even BRT.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olajide8(m): 6:07am On Jan 14, 2013
I couldn't get an upfront close shot because I was driving but in all fairness their has been more work done on the light rail track though its not commensurate with the funds

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olajide8(m): 6:11am On Jan 14, 2013
The last image above is the work shop which it seems upfront and personal "more money has been spent on" then the project, this part of the project is actually on the road, so I couldn't take pictures the other parts of the project, as it is hidden behind thick bushes, the tracks cannot be followed due to construction issues and permits, that maybe required.

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by naptu2: 6:55am On Jan 14, 2013
olajide_07: The last image above is the work shop which it seems upfront and personal "more money has been spent on" then the project, this part of the project is actually on the road, so I couldn't take pictures the other parts of the project, as it is hidden behind thick bushes, the tracks cannot be followed due to construction issues and permits, that maybe required.

God bless you bro. Please give us updates from time to time. Thanks.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by ba7man(m): 7:38am On Jan 14, 2013
thelastPope:

Ha! You must live in diaspora! Orile to Mile 2 is a walkable distance. it ia at most, jibowu to palmgrove or slightly after palmgrove. It is 30 naira by bus, N50 peak period, so you can figure it out from that. Jibowu to ketu is 100 by bus even BRT.
Anyone that attempts that walk from mile-2 to Orile is a confirmed sufferhead. Its supposed to be a short drive but it can take as long as 30mins or more due to traffic jam. This rail project is supposed to ease the pressure off the road.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by olajide8(m): 11:19am On Jan 14, 2013
naptu2:

God bless you bro. Please give us updates from time to time. Thanks.
@naptu *The house* is always welcome
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Mustay(m): 6:40pm On Apr 23, 2013
May is around the corner. How feasible is this by June?
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by naptu2: 6:34am On May 03, 2013
Mustay: May is around the corner. How feasible is this by June?

Although this thread is about the Red Line and although it has been overtaken by the usual back and forth, you can still get the latest on the Blue Line project from the thread. An engineer who's working on the Blue Line confirmed that the first phase (Mile 2-National Theatre) will be ready by June (he didn't want his name in print).

https://www.nairaland.com/1276567/infrastructure-bank-fund-n400bn-lagos

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by boneruns(m): 7:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
I thought this project ought to have been completed by now? June as passed, the pace seem so slow. What could be wrong?

Could it be promise and fail, or someone told lies?
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by geeez: 7:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
Why is the success or failure of a project in Lagos your problem when you have countless infrastructural challenges in your Nnewi

Indigenous Lagosians and Yorubas at large can see work is going on and are satisfied with the governor as he always delivers so go hug the pillars of the Niger Bridge
Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by karlmax2: 9:18pm On Jul 02, 2013
geeez:
Why is the success or failure of a project in Lagos your problem when you have countless infrastructural challenges in your Nnewi

Indigenous Lagosians and Yorubas at large can see work is going on and are satisfied with the governor as he always delivers so go hug the pillars of the Niger Bridge
hypocrite if it Was GEj now u would have been having a hard on and saying all sorts of rubish and fuming from you mouth like an epilepsy patient.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by EkoIle1: 9:39pm On Jul 02, 2013
karl max: hypocrite if it Was GEj now u would have been having a hard on and saying all sorts of rubish and fuming from you mouth like an epilepsy patient.

But it can never be Jonathan oponuchukwu abdul el Reterdeen because he doesn't process the capacity to float such idea and visionary project.

That otuoko dullard can not function beyond his laughable and stolen cassava bread idea...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 02, 2013
Eko Ile:

But it can never be Jonathan oponuchukwu abdul el Reterdeen because he doesn't process the capacity to float such idea and visionary project.

That otuoko dullard can not function beyond his laughable and stolen cassava bread idea...

Muheheeeeehhheeeeeee heeee heeeedhee cheesy grin grin

You want break my ribs?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? / Wife & Children Of The Man Shot Dead During APC Campaign Rally In Anambra Mourn / Orlu: The Untold Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.