Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,070 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? (23772 Views)

How Did Tinubu End Up Owning Lagos State House, Marina? / Did Tinubu Deployed LASTMA Officials To Adamawa For GMB Campaign (pics)? / Fashola Performed Better Than I Did – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2013
I just watched a documentry on western politics now and couldn't help marveling and wondering how Tinubu became so powerful in Lagos, nay western Nigeria. Even OBJ would think twice before talking to him anyhow. EFCC dares not call his name anyhow.
The almighty PDP has been having a tough time penetrating Lagos which they have been eyeing because of Tinubu. AD died a miserable death as soon as Tinubu left. And we all know what will happen to ACN if Tinubu leaves. I don't know of any other politician with so much individual influence in any of the big political parties.
Please how did he do this?
Tinubu is kind of like a legend in Nigerian politics today because whether you like him or not, you just gotta respect (or fear him)

P.S: I'm not a Tinubu loyalist o! I'm just curious

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by OurYansh: 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
1. Tinubu is‎​ a smart chap. He understands the game of politics and plays it very well.

2. He's a visionary leader. His interest lies in building for tomorrow and not just for the day.

3. He's a Good manager of men and materials. That's evident from the way he managed Lagos finance (even without Federal allocation) as well as the calibre of people he has helped become Governors of the SW region.

4. He loves his people, chasing the killer-party from the SW is‎​ the best thing anyone could have done for SWesterners at the time..

Etc etc...

55 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by jmoore(m): 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Fear Tinubu, for what?
Even a brutal dictator like Hitler was powerful.
One can be powerful through a crooked way.
What is the positive influence of tinubu's "power"?

When politicians like tinubu loot the treasury of the state they have lost their respect.

11 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by joeyfire(m): 3:40pm On Apr 02, 2013
I really dislike the man but make I talk true -

1. The man knows POLITICS sir! No other politician in this country knows how to work the nigerian system like him. Unknown to his supporters, Goodluck and Tinubu are very tight paddies because he knows how important tinubu is to his 2015 ambition.

2. The man knows how to work the ethnicity card. He's created a party which serves a rallying point for yorubas. (Though I can swear he doesn't believe in it himself) truth be told I haven't seen this level of intertwining of ideology, ethnocentrism and organisation in ages.

3. The man exploited the gap left by an all powerful military rule and has been able to push the inevitable call for pure FEDERALISM. He has always had a knack for embracing the popular struggle of the day. Ie June 12 and now Regionalism

6 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Demdem(m): 3:42pm On Apr 02, 2013
Our Yansh: 1. Tinubu is‎​ a smart chap. He understands the game of politics and plays it very well.

2. He's a visionary leader. His interest lies in building for tomorrow and not just for the day.

3. He's a Good manager of men and materials. That's evident from the way he managed Lagos finance (even without Federal allocation) as well as the calibre of people he has helped become Governors of the SW region.

4. He loves his people, chasing the killer-party from the SW is‎​ the best thing anyone could have done for SWesterners at the time..

Etc etc...

I adopt ur post.

4 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by ITbomb(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
Worse than the PDP godfathers, making sure only his relative gets into elective positions and hand picking a governor without regards to the votes of the people.
Is that Power?

3 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by joeyfire(m): 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
How could I forget the most important point.

He made obasanjo feel like a chump. When obj witheld lagos state allocation tinubu made lagos self reliant by force. Baba was suddenly the toothless bulldog and tinubu became a hero

17 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by kettykin: 3:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sweetlemon: I just watched a documentry on western politics now and couldn't help marveling and wondering how Tinubu became so powerful in Lagos, nay western Nigeria. Even OBJ would think twice before talking to him anyhow. EFCC dares not call his name anyhow.
The almighty PDP has been having a tough time penetrating Lagos which they have been eyeing because of Tinubu. AD died a miserable death as soon as Tinubu left. And we all know what will happen to ACN if Tinubu leaves. I don't know of any other politician with so much individual influence in any of the big political parties.
Please how did he do this?
Tinubu is kind of like a legend in Nigerian politics today because whether you like him or not, you just gotta respect (or fear him)

P.S: I'm not a Tinubu loyalist o! I'm just curious
with the way Tinubu is going ,Tinubu will end up committing treason soon like his predecessors with a long jail sentence if not death sentence or life imprsionment

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by jmoore(m): 3:57pm On Apr 02, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Well we all know how Hitler ended but Tinubu is still kicking.Now gofuckyourself !

are you tinubu's slave? Yes, he is still kicking and the only thing he is kicking is your @ss. Endure the pain while he is still alive

9 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
He has one thing you need in politics: street-smartness.

When other SW governors fell for Obj bait in 2003, he saw the handwriting on the wall and was calculative enough to avert his own fall, while others fell.

He is also good at assembling smart guys

He has some elements of fire-for-fire too - which is what is needed to fight off a party like PDP. He never claims to be totally pure. He gives PDP money-for-money, fire-for-fire.

9 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
joeyfire: How could I forget the most important point.

He made obasanjo feel like a chump. When obj witheld lagos state allocation tinubu made lagos self reliant by force. Baba was suddenly the toothless bulldog and tinubu became a hero

That is one of the main things that leaves me intrigued. The way he handled the whole situation is just ......
You just gotta respect him for that because while other govs would have been busy playing the blame game, he took responsibility and proved that he could work under severe pressure.
Like I said. I'm not his loyalist. I don't love him like that. But I just gotta respect him!

4 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
kettykin:
with the way Tinubu is going ,Tinubu will end up committing treason soon like his predecessors with a long jail sentence if not death sentence or life imprsionment

Sure, Tinubu may fall one day. Nothing lasts forever. But he would have left a long lasting, solid legacy behind.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Demdem(m): 4:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
Surely, the wise will have one or two things to learn from him and acts. U don't neccessarily need to like him at all.

8 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
Demdem: Surely, the wise will have one or two things to learn from him and acts. U don't neccessarily need to like him at all.

So true!
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 02, 2013
Wrong! Tinubu is not powerful.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by wonlasewonimi: 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
Jegabond baba, kokoro lagos tuale
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
Tinubu appears "powerful" only in certain people's imagination. He's only enjoying the status of being the ONLY former governor in ACN at the moment. When more former governors emerge and as new generation of ACN governors emerge in ACN, Tinubu's imaginary powers will fade away.

However, one thing is not in doubt. Tinubu has used his position as the face of the opposition to build an empire of wealth for HIMSELF, perhaps in anticipation of when his political influence will wane.

OBJ lost out in his battle with Tinubu for the soul of southwest because OBJ was too silly that he NEVER reckoned with PERFORMANCE as a parameter for choosing his foot solders and putting people in positions of authority. While OBJ was using federal might to put people in positions of authority, the only parameter that was on his mind was loyalty. On the other hand, Tinubu was wise enough to consider both loyalty and PERFORMANCE. That made all the difference.

12 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by teskyg: 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
He became powerful to the following reasons.

1.Justice Salami
2.In- fighting amoung PDP big wigs(Ogun and Oyo).

He has only been in command of this power just for only 3-4 years.Let see how he would be able to sustain this power in 2015 and afterward.It is a make or mar for him.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by OmoTier1(m): 5:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu appears "powerful" only in certain people's imagination. He's only enjoying the status of being the ONLY former governor in ACN at the moment. When more former governors emerge and as new generation of ACN governors emerge in ACN, Tinubu's imaginary powers will fade away.

However, one thing is not in doubt. Tinubu has used his position as the face of the opposition to build an empire of wealth for HIMSELF, perhaps in anticipation of when his political influence will wane.

OBJ lost out in his battle with Tinubu for the soul of southwest because OBJ was too silly that he NEVER reckoned with PERFORMANCE as a parameter for choosing his foot solders and putting people in positions of authority. While OBJ was using federal might to put people in positions of authority, the only parameter that was on his mind was loyalty. On the other hand, Tinubu was wise enough to consider both loyalty and PERFORMANCE. That made all the difference.
I hope you realize that the master your worship aka the clueless one had to cut a deal with Tinubu before the elections Tells you the clout this man holds.

Although in my opinion, no one in Nigeria should be allowed to be so powerful than any Nigeria institution, nonetheless, Tinubu's swagg in politics is second to none and currently, there is hardly any politician that plays the game better than Him. But we know like all things, He will not last forever and someone will displace him someday!
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by idupaul: 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sweetlemon:

Sure, Tinubu may fall one day. Nothing lasts forever. But he would have left a long lasting, solid legacy behind.

You don't know Nigerians yet , when de can't eat from U they bail to the next source .. Tinubu's current heroism started in 1999 by becoming Governor of Nigerias most prosperous state and is still on just because he has a loyal stooge as governor in the person of Fashola .. By the time an ingrate enters Lagos govt House Tinubu will just become irrelevant like Orji UZor Kalu in Abia overnite

5 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Apr 02, 2013
kettykin:
please elucidate further
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by musiwa20: 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
And most of the things they claim tinubu did.. is not correct.

I can show you, I am the reason, many people went into politics in nigeria.. and not tinubu...

I dont think tinubu is that powerful as you people make it to be. If you want to collect money from tinubu , you go meet tinubu and collect money..

if we say dont vote for ACN or PDP, they would not vote for ACN or PDP.

I come from a Royal family house which I can tell you online.. . . what ever I tell them and my friends... that is what they tell people.

That why you need to be in my good books..

You can see them turn off electricity on Goodluck Jonathan yesterday in lagos . So nobody can be my enemy.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by PaulJohn1: 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
Jarus: He has one thing you need in politics: street-smartness.

When other SW governors fell for Obj bait in 2003, he saw the handwriting on the wall and was calculative enough to avert his own fall, while others fell.

He is also good at assembling smart guys

He has some elements of fire-for-fire too - which is what is needed to fight off a party like PDP. He never claims to be totally pure. He gives PDP money-for-money, fire-for-fire.

He's not a guy I admire but that bolded part of your post makes him unique

Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu appears "powerful" only in certain people's imagination. He's only enjoying the status of being the ONLY former governor in ACN at the moment. When more former governors emerge and as new generation of ACN governors emerge in ACN, Tinubu's imaginary powers will fade away.

He's not powerful but your pay master left his abode in Abuja for Lagos to negotiate with him before previous pres. election.
You wish he's not as powerful as he his.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I hope you realize that the master your worship aka the clueless one had to cut a deal with Tinubu before the elections Tells you the clout this man holds.

Although in my opinion, no one in Nigeria should be allowed to be so powerful than any Nigeria institution, nonetheless, Tinubu's swagg in politics is second to none and currently, there is hardly any politician that plays the game better than Him. But we know like all things, He will not last forever and someone will displace him someday!
Such "deal" only exist in your clueless mind.

There's NOTHING like that. GEJ won in the southwest fair and square. Otherwise, show us concrete evidence that such deal existed BEFORE votes were cast for the 2011 presidential election.

What was Tinubu supposed to do to help GEJ win going by the imaginary "deal"? Was Tinubu supposed to alter the results of votes cast? Or Mobilize his supporters to vote GEJ? If he was to mobilize people to vote for GEJ, show us how he did that before votes were cast. NONSENSE!
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 02, 2013
Paul John:

He's not a guy I admire but that bolded part of your post makes him unique

He's not powerful but your pay master left his abode in Abuja for Lagos to negotiate with him before previous pres. election.
You wish he's not as powerful as he his.
Some of you ACN internet rats keep calling our president my pay master. I dont know how that relates to this topic except just to see if some us could be blackmailed to silence. I thought what to do to a strategy that isn't working is to DISCARD it. But the ACN internet rats have insisted on a strategy of blackmail that didn't work in 2011.

A part from the fact these blackmails tend to derail threads, they'r IMPOTENT.

Just to reiterate, if calling our president my pay master will make some persons HAPPY and keep them away from trouble or being used as instruments for suicide bombing, its all well and good.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 6:27pm On Apr 02, 2013
@ Sincere9gerian, from your posts, it's obvious that although you are very aware that Tinubu is perhaps the most powerful force to reckon with in today's Nigerian politics, you desperately wish it weren't true.
Perhaps you wish it was GEJ exuding all that swagg right? Lol!

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sweetlemon: @ Sincere9gerian, from your posts, it's obvious that although you are very aware that Tinubu is perhaps the most powerful force to reckon with in today's Nigerian politics, you desperately wish it weren't true.
Perhaps you wish it was GEJ exuding all that swagg right? Lol!
"most powerful force"?

"Most powerful force" for your mind na. And how did he deploy that power at the last Ondo elections?

POINT OF CORRECTION: power belongs to the people.

Just to digress a bit, as at today, in terms being powerful in that context, even Oshiomole is more powerful than Tinubu.

Even with all the noise by Tinubu and his gang of ACN in the southwest, former president Yar Adua manipulated the 2009 Ekiti re-run gubernatorial election in favour of PDP. What did the all "powerful" Tinubu do about that? At the same time, former president Yar Adua, recognising how powerful Oshiomole was, assisted Oshiomole to retrieve his stolen mandate through the tribunal.

Tinubu is reaping from the absolute lack of internal democracy in ACN at the moment. If cannot sustain his current influence beyond 5 to 10yrs time.

I can consider someone like Buhari as being powerful but NEVER Tinubu. Even GEJ is not powerful, outside of the powers of the president he currently enjoys. Perhaps what he does between now and when he leaves office may eventually make him powerful as a person.

Perhaps, we should even start by defining what it means to be "powerful"

6 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by emiye(m): 6:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
double post

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by emiye(m): 6:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
he is not the cleanest of politician around in the SW, but he has got Foresight !, this makes him different from many other politicians.

When you can see the future from the present, you can simply take actions today that will influence the future.

I see him as a reasonable and intelligent man, but a dictator.

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by PaulJohn1: 6:59pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sweetlemon: @ Sincere9gerian, from your posts, it's obvious that although you are very aware that Tinubu is perhaps the most powerful force to reckon with in today's Nigerian politics, you desperately wish it weren't true.
Perhaps you wish it was GEJ exuding all that swagg right?
Lol!

That, he won't like to hear grin

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by emiye(m): 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
"most powerful force"?

"Most powerful force" for your mind na. And how did he deploy that power at the last Ondo elections?

POINT OF CORRECTION: power belongs to the people.

Just to digress a bit, as at today, in terms being powerful in that context, even Oshiomole is more powerful than Tinubu.

Even with all the noise by Tinubu and his gang of ACN in the southwest, former president Yar Adua manipulated the 2009 Ekiti re-run gubernatorial election in favour of PDP. What did the all "powerful" Tinubu do about that? At the same time, former president Yar Adua, recognising how powerful Oshiomole was, assisted Oshiomole to retrieve his stolen mandate through the tribunal.

Where is the PDP Governor who was manipulated in as the Ekiti Governor ? He was booted out via the tribunal in 2010.
Tinubu is a bridge builder, his ACN currently has elective positions in all SW , SS, SE, NC, NE and NW regions.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Political Photos From The Past / FG To Increase VAT To 10% / Police Recover 19 Cars From Arase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.