Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54448 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by seankay(m): 5:20pm On Jan 16, 2013
No cause for alarm,evryfn is under control instead of no cause for control,evryfn is under alarm
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
1.Did u told ur mum,what I told u to told her.

2.It have tey,my daddy have go out.

3.Why did you tey from market.

4.Boy:ur face look similar.
Girl:look at him good english,he can't spoke.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 16, 2013
You'd be surprised that a good number of people who ignorantly who use 'am' in place of 'I'm' argue vehemently and blindly over its correctness.

Sod blackberry though!

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by annexes: 5:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
This post has been hidden.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by JuanDeDios: 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2013
A lot of these things are colloquial and I think it’s hasty to declare them “errors” - although some of them clearly are.

Plate number. instead of number plate.
Number plate is the metal or plastic material on which the number is written. The registration number is what is colloquially referred to as plate number.

He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
Come on! The use of “it” for your baby isn’t contemporary.

kevoh: This one pisses me off 'I have warned you severally' instead of 'I have warned you several times'
Severally can never be used in this context.
Thank you. I am not one to go "grammar" "grammar", but this one pisses me off to no end.

4 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by xynerise: 5:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nyam instead of Yam
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Oahray: 5:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Some of these blunders are sweeter than their correct form grin grin "they have bring the light! Eeee, is low current sef" grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by freshdew: 5:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chamber10: Nice one Op. Let me drop mine:
Wrong: Birds of the same feather flock together
Right: Birds of a feather flock together

birds of a feather congregate to the nearest proximity
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Oahray: 5:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
Mommy, fear is catching me o. I should come?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Abbey2sam(m): 5:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
fonzie2u: @ OP she was delivered of a boy is also in correct.

It is, She has put to Bed.

They are both correct

She was delivered of a baby boy

She has put to bed

Alright = all right
Both are also correct though some people considered alright as informal and should not be used in a formal write up
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by zaza1(m): 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2013
Finally a thread after my heart...
The biggest mistake made by almost every Nigerian "Be rest assured"..it is so wrong..you either say "rest assured or be assured"

But most Nigerians will usually say that English is not their mother tongue,the only language they should understand is money,blah blah..we should all try to really improve..the grammer spoken by most Nigerians is so alarming

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 16, 2013
Desmog21: Travelling Bag instead of Traveller's Bag
Thought its "travel bag"

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by JuanDeDios: 5:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
xynerise: Nyam instead of Yam
Lol.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 5:49pm On Jan 16, 2013
fonzie2u: @ OP she was delivered of a boy is also in correct.

It is, She has put to Bed.
dude, she was delivered of a baby boy is very correct.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 5:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
Abegi! Americans will use he/she when addressing sentences pertaining to animals such as dog, cat, cockroach etc..... "I kicked his a s s very bad" (na male dog the person dey referred to as his ooo grin), remove "u" from the word like favour, use "z" instead of "s" like in customize, pronounce "semi" and everything that ends with "i" with high tone like "se-my-hi" and they are comfortable with their english despite the fact they were colonized by the British and was taught English language too...... No grammatical error hunting, vocabulary blasting. They say what they feel they know how to speak. America all the way jor! angry

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by passion007: 5:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
seankay: No cause for alarm,evryfn is under control instead of no cause for control,evryfn is under alarm
You were banned by Seun for trolling(@your signature)...when he sees this post, I think he's gonna do it again... wink

@topic: the only time you can refer to a baby as 'it' is when their gender is unknown or yet to be determined.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by BeingAkorede(m): 5:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
REMMEI: Thanks op..looking forward to reading "commom grammatical errors we make in our everyday IGBO,HAUSA,YORUBA"..

Funny...
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Yvete(f): 6:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
imperiouxx: Abegi! Americans will use he/she when addressing sentences pertaining to animals such as dog, cat, cockroach etc, remove "u" from the word like favour, use "z" instead of "s" like in customize, pronounce "semi" and everything that ends with "i" with high tone like "se-my-hi" and they are comfortable with their language...... No grammatical error hunting, vocabulary blasting. They say what they feel they know how to speak. America all the way jor! angry
Oga Imperiouxx. I see you. Yvete phisher tailing.... cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by abbeyty(m): 6:01pm On Jan 16, 2013
another one is ..still yet....
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Napkin(babies) instead of nappy.
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence.
Barbash.instead of, balderdash (nonsense).
Packer. instead of, dustpan.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
Contact a disease. instead of, contract a disease.
Eye/sun glass. instead of, eye/sun glasses.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage.
Half bread is better dan none. instead of, half a loaf is better dan no bread.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back.
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy.
Open d floor (occasions) instead of declare d floor open.
Running nose. Instead of, runny nose.
Raining season. Instead of, rainy season.
Alright. Instead of, all right
Nice one but few corrections:
plate number and number mean two different things and are both correct. Plate no is colloquial for registration no.

More grease to your elbow is idiomatic expression meaning sustained or better performance next time. Literally...elbow is a joint and every joint needs oil to operate well. So the statement is right.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by theripper: 6:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
ThanK God I no kuku ma sabi English. My broken pay me. Pple I dey talk to dey understand sef, na d koko for communication b dat. I fit learn OYibo one day sha.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 6:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
Yvete:
Oga Imperiouxx. I see you. Yvete fish tailing.... cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Hey! Babe, we meet here again. American English is the best. No hunting, no fish tailing! grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by passion007: 6:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
xynerise: Nyam instead of Yam
Funny. However, here's a fun fact. The word 'yam' has its etymology from the Fulani word, 'nyame' meaning 'to eat'...but as there's no 'ny' sound in English, it became 'yam'. Another interesting example is 'okra' or 'okro' with its origin from the Igbo word 'okwuro'
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
passion007:
@topic: the only time you can refer to a baby as 'it' is when their gender is unknown or yet to be determined.

...very BIG lie, in fact... a BIG FAT lie!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by 2rutalk1: 6:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.

I disagree with you on No. 14 'It' can never be a pronoun for baby.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Jayses(m): 6:08pm On Jan 16, 2013
shame to those who are busy trying to pefect the way they speak another man language , if chinese had done the same thing they won't be were they are 2day. Mtheew
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 6:08pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:

...very BIG lie, in fact... a BIG FAT lie!

grin grin americans don't give a fucck about what they like to call baby...either unborn child or 20 years old child or their pets...... They are all the same. British English will be looking for it/she/he.

Americans can say "It is my baby - for their kid and He/She is my dog - for their pet" grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by shadrach77: 6:09pm On Jan 16, 2013

This is so funny and true. Another common mistake is when people say relaxing fever instead of relapsing fever. Or people saying fatal accident when they mean serious accident. Then some people say, he lost gallantly when they mean to say, he lost woefully. However the bolded part of your article is wrong in my own opinion. Driver's licence and driver's license are both right. My license has driving license written on it. Driver's license = a license for drivers. Driving license = a license to enable you drive, a license for driving. I'd say both are right smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:10pm On Jan 16, 2013
2ru-talk:

I disagree with you on No. 14 'It' can never be a pronoun for baby.
The fact that u disagree doesnt change the fact/truth.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by 2rutalk1: 6:13pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:
The fact that u disagree doesnt change the fact/truth.

Can we substantiate that?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:15pm On Jan 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

grin grin americans don't give a fucck about what they like to call baby...either unborn child or 20 years old. British English will be looking for it/she/he.

Americans can say "It is my baby for their kid and He/She is my dog for their pet" grin
Because the British are the owners of the language thus the perfection they seek as far as their language is concerned.
When something is yours you tend to take very good care of it but when not yours you treat it anyhow. That explains why American and Australian English differs from Queens English.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by godstino(m): 6:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
YOU CAN'T EAT YOUR CAKE AND HAVE IT INSTEAD OF YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT.,,,,JOKE APART INSTEAD OF JOKING APART...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IFY - A Romantic Thriller / "The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.