Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54506 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Originalsly: 1:27am On Jan 17, 2013
Graphy: Extreme instead of extreme end
Saying "extreme end" is like saying "return back". Extreme is correct....as in "you can go to whatever extreme to prove me wrong".
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Serendipity: 1:31am On Jan 17, 2013
Wallie:

"Put to bed" is not wrong. Put to bed is actually an idiom and is correct.
an idiom'in which dictionary? Or do you have any other authority?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Originalsly: 1:40am On Jan 17, 2013
CARLISTO77:
Please, do correct your usage of BOTH with a verb (is)...
At that stead, Both should be followed by (ARE), ok?.
Do correct your usage....both...none...nobody...everybody...either... neither....each of these IS followed by a singular verb making both is correct.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Serendipity: 1:45am On Jan 17, 2013
Originalsly: Do correct your usage....both...none...nobody...everybody...either... neither....each of these IS followed by a singular verb making both is correct.
No. Both is not in the list. Moreover, none of can be used with either sinular or plural verb.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Serendipity: 1:47am On Jan 17, 2013
Originalsly: Saying "extreme end" is like saying "return back". Extreme is correct....as in "you can go to whatever extreme to prove me wrong".

Extreme end is correct and not redundant just like 'the reason why'
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by enuelly: 3:41am On Jan 17, 2013
sagytarius™:

Are u sure about this?

100percent right.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 5:20am On Jan 17, 2013
Too many English grammar teachers confusing themselves (lol).

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by obyrich(m): 5:48am On Jan 17, 2013
Qualcoms: @ Op,... 'I am hearing u'... It's wrong... Do u know what is called Gerund in English?
'Hearing' in this context is not a gerund. An example of gerund is 'Playing football is my hobby.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by BluStreak(m): 6:17am On Jan 17, 2013
Clefcentfelix: I am going to the saloon to barb my hair instead of I am going to the salon to cut my hair
I am going to the salon to get a haircut is more appropriate.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 17, 2013
Havilah93: i get bored of people using 'am' for i'm....

What about the abuse and rape of ...'as in'. Hissing badly this morning.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Emmy3(m): 7:25am On Jan 17, 2013
plendil:

You misunderstand OP. Current can indeed be low, so in that context its not strictly a grammatical error. But that dim light we observe as a result of power from PHCN is actually a result of low voltage, not low current.
Power = IV
Do you know that the voltage supply of PHCN is sinusoidal in form and the voltage is given as:
V = VoSINE2pieFt = VoSINEwt
Vo > max value or amplitude of the voltage
2pieF=w=angular velocity
F= frequency of the generating power plant (50Hz in Nigeria)

Io=Vo/R . . . . . The peak current
Vo=Io/Rsinwt

"low current", is infact more correct (but I don't use it because not all Nigerians are science-oriented)
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by brownlord: 7:35am On Jan 17, 2013
IbnTimothy: trouble de sleep, yanga go wake am instead of yanga de sleep trouble go wake am

Lol, and mine, conversation btw two student.

Hey, i had an A in that course, oh really, me i had an B

Na engrish na
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by plendil: 7:49am On Jan 17, 2013
Wallie:

Really?

I'm looking forward to going to naija.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
I'll be seeing you!
Do we have an understanding?
Are you not hearing me?

Yes, I should have added that the restriction applies only to its non-idiomatic or non-phrasal verb use. As such all your sentences are correct, except the last one. It should be 'Can you hear me' or 'do you hear me'.

Such verbs are supposed to express action at a specific point in time and such using them in continuous tenses is an anomaly. I should add though, that it's perhaps not a very strict rule, and that is why the Oxford dictionary will say such verbs 'not usually used in continuous(progressive) tenses'

http://esl.about.com/od/grammarintermediate/a/noncontinuous.htm

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-m_vmwct_1.htm
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by plendil: 7:53am On Jan 17, 2013
obyrich: 'Hearing' in this context is not a gerund. An example of gerund is 'Playing football is my hobby.

beautiful! cheesy
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by plendil: 8:02am On Jan 17, 2013
Em-my:

Power = IV
Do you know that the voltage supply of PHCN is sinusoidal in form and the voltage is given as:
V = VoSINE2pieFt = VoSINEwt
Vo > max value or amplitude of the voltage
2pieF=w=angular velocity
F= frequency of the generating power plant (50Hz in Nigeria)

Io=Vo/R . . . . . The peak current
Vo=Io/Rsinwt

"low current", is infact more correct (but I don't use it because not all Nigerians are science-oriented)

What the

Like I said previously, low current is not technically wrong, but it is the result and not the cause of the dim light bulbs we observe. The difference in potential between the two ends(voltage) is too low to drive the electrons(current). By the time you disconnect from PHCN and switch to your generator what do you observe? The bulb brightens! and what has changed? THE VOLTAGE!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by plendil: 8:06am On Jan 17, 2013
Wallie:

"Each other" is not wrong...here's something you can work with:

A and B do have a cordial relationship with each other.
A and B do have a cordial relationship each with the other. (This version is more formal)

yes , but it is still restricted to only two people, groups etc.

It would be wrong, for instance, to say A, B and C have a cordial relationship with each other.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Emmy3(m): 8:10am On Jan 17, 2013
plendil:

What the

Like I said previously, low current is not technically wrong, but it is the result and not the cause of the dim light bulbs we observe. The difference in potential between the two ends(voltage) is too low to drive the electrons(current). By the time you disconnect from PHCN and switch to your generator what do you observe? The bulb brightens! and what has changed? THE VOLTAGE!
voltage is dependent on the current
Voltage is the result not the cause
and current is the cause not the result.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Kabikala(m): 8:16am On Jan 17, 2013
yuzedo:
Good attitude! But change the highlighted. Plus you will find out English is very very important so reverting to vernacular might be inimical to individual and collective success. Will limit us in the global context to be quite honest.

@OP: In written English, can people learn the difference between "am" and "I'm"?? Utterly shameful, the flagrant display of ignorance of the two for people who should know better.

Nigerians using "am" instead of "I am" actually gets to me as it is being used all the time, (even by our celebrities especially on twitter) so often that it now appear normal.

Same with using "is" instead of "it's" e.g. "is not supposed to be" instead of "it's not supposed to be".
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by dnawah(m): 8:30am On Jan 17, 2013
Clefcentfelix: I am going to the saloon to barb my hair instead of I am going to the salon to cut my hair
me i don hear person wey say"am going to the saloon to cut my head grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Mavrick2012: 8:31am On Jan 17, 2013
Good thread
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by omorsexie(f): 8:37am On Jan 17, 2013
Qualcoms: @ Op,... 'I am hearing u'... It's wrong... Do u know what is called Gerund in English?
"Gerund" is when words with "ing begin a sentence.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by aishatshedey: 9:05am On Jan 17, 2013
Trafigate instead of indicate.
there is nothing like trafigate in dictionary ,u can only indicate for an incoming vehincle to know u are about taking another way,
e.g i actually indicate before i stopped the car.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Cashio(m): 9:35am On Jan 17, 2013
I no fit do am instead of i no sabi do am
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Clefcentfelix(m): 9:54am On Jan 17, 2013
mr Blunt:

kai! Serious gbagaun upon gbagaun! The correct expression is, ' I AM GOING TO THE BARBER'S SHOP TO HAVE MY HAIR CUT'.
k I guess you think you know. try and check this http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/salon
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Clefcentfelix(m): 9:55am On Jan 17, 2013
dnawah: me i don hear person wey say"am going to the saloon to cut my head grin
you're kidding me !
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Clefcentfelix(m): 9:57am On Jan 17, 2013
BluStreak: I am going to the salon to get a haircut is more appropriate.
yeah you're absolutely right
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by basty: 9:58am On Jan 17, 2013
Tell it to the Jambites.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by CARLISTO77(m): 10:17am On Jan 17, 2013
Originalsly: Do correct your usage....both...none...nobody...everybody...either... neither....each of these IS followed by a singular verb making both is correct.
Which planet do you emanate from?
I corrected someone who used BOTH with IS,
and here you come with your asinine adjudication...
In English, you can't write: BOTH IS CORRECT, but rather,
BOTH ARE CORRECT...Do you want to lecture me in Philology being a multilinguist?
Please, comprehend and assimilate people's line of discussion before intervening, ok?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by CARLISTO77(m): 10:23am On Jan 17, 2013
fermlad:
Travel bag!

Nice one there...
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by letustalk(m): 10:40am On Jan 17, 2013
smileyThese are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.

English Language not english language

know not knw

...just kidding...but true you know?

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 17, 2013
EVERY SINGLE PERSON I'VE MET ALWAYS SAYS AXE INSTEAD OF ASK. WHY NOT PRONOUNCE AS YOU SEE.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by rushman003: 11:21am On Jan 17, 2013
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Packer that is also made of rubber is a dustpan............ is it shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

New Literature Scheme For Secondary Schools (2021/2025) / Amaka The Lesbian.. / IFY - A Romantic Thriller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.