Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

How Do People Become Atheists - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do People Become Atheists (9737 Views)

Jesus Is The Reason Why People Become Atheists / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:50am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

You still call the Old testament deity God after the atrocities it/she/he committed. Example, if i saw a man trying to kill a lil boy,i would either call the police or try to defend the lil boy. Abraham was deceived by this god to kill his son,only to tell him he was testing him. What doesn't seem like an all knowing god. Otherwise he should have know if Abraham really loved him....judging from the fact that he is always said to be an all knowing god.

After reading the Old testament,the Bible god wasn't the type i would trust as a friend. Always agree,always want sacrifices.

Talk about the tower of babel.......another story we dnt wanna talk about.

My conclusion, that god did worse that hitler

Hahahahahaha. That's your reasoning and I love it. I love to reason also. The truth is, it was a shadow and picture of God himself showing his love to mankind as per the story of Abraham. These were all shadows. You know your shadow isn't your real being right? But a portrait of your real being. God was showing a picture of his redemptive plan through the scene of Abraham and Isaac. When you read/study that account, you read such that God provided himself as lamb for the sacrifice.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:53am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Hahahahahaha. That's your reasoning and I love it. I love to reason also. The truth is, it was a shadow and picture of God himself showing his love to mankind as per the story of Abraham. These were all shadows. You know your shadow isn't your real being right? But a portrait of your real being. God was showing a picture of his redemptive plan through the scene of Abraham and Isaac. When you read/study that account, you read such that God provided himself as lamb for the sacrifice.

How did you know? Any bible verse to back it up? Except you are the Bible god's private lawyer.

He did wrong and needs to be punished!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Do you think ur god wants you to be as powerful as him? If yes, why dd he hide the so called tree of life ? I sense a hidden agenda against humans.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:57am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Hahahahahaha, Noooooooooo, I can't send any evil spirit o as I have none. Anyway, just be careful wif my sister. I dey watch you closely o. If I catch you another thread again, you go see wetin I go do for you....lolz. Na to lay you don and wip you wella grin grin grin

Holyghost fire!!! Back to sender!!!gringringrin
Abeg make me I run go before you gather the boys. I don pray but na to help myself first.grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 4:01am On Jan 27, 2013
undecided
5 pages already? Wtf?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 4:15am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

How did you know? Any bible verse to back it up? Except you are the Bible god's private lawyer.

He did wrong and needs to be punished!

And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. - Genesis 22:7-8

And concerning Christ, it was said,

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. - John 1:29

That's an imagery shown in that account. It's a shadow of God's redemptive plan for mankind.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 5:19am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. - Genesis 22:7-8

And concerning Christ, it was said,

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. - John 1:29

That's an imagery shown in that account. It's a shadow of God's redemptive plan for mankind.

If you believe this story,do you believe the superman comic books too? Do you think spiderman is also real?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 5:34am On Jan 27, 2013
inurmind:

Holyghost fire!!! Back to sender!!!gringringrin
Abeg make me I run go before you gather the boys. I don pray but na to help myself first.grin

Gather boys keh? So you're now judging me by my past shey? Anyway, na you sabi sha grin. There's nothing like that anymore in the life I now possess in Christ Jesus.

BTW, Atheist like you dey pray? To who naw? To the God you don't believe in or to yourself? Or to calved images?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 5:35am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

If you believe this story,do you believe the superman comic books too? Do you think spiderman is also real?

I believed in the God that showed me redemptive plans. He had shown it in shadows and fulfilled the reality. What else you wanna hear?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 5:38am On Jan 27, 2013
toba: great I'm happy for you. cheesy
Na. u weren't ready for a serious discourse and im not sure u are ready now. See my responses thus far to Logicboy and MMW. are they not civil? If u can do likewise and stop the rhetorical questions, fine with me.

Brah, like you pointed out, or were trying to point out, what's the point of a discussion with a mor.on? You were civil only after I called you out. You insist on playing the victim, I'm confused as to why? Rhetorical question my a$$, you made a comment and I want you to clarify, very simple. Is that your opinion, or something you can back up?

toba:
Mbanu. your antecedents says it all. Ur response to be at first may be considered a rhetorical question, which shows ur unseriousness on this thread. started it and u're getting it in return.

See above. And btw, again, you get what you deserve. Sheesh

toba:
You're the troll. Remember i made a comment, which wasnt for you. What did u do? u quoted my post and then started exhibiting childishness. I didnt quote u first, but u quoted me. You are the troll.

Hmmm, lemme the post I responded to, mr adult.

toba:

You're correct young lady.

atleast having been here for about 6 years, I've come to realize this.

pathetic

This is what you were replying to

bella:
People become atheists because they want to feel smarter.
Trust me it has something to do with esteem issues.

P.S: Only a small percent of 'em are actually honest in their unbelief!

While I think she's so, so wrong, note the avoidance of using a term like 'pathetic'. That, I would say, is certainly more civil than your post, no?

And for good measure, here's some of the nonsense you posted earlier in response to the op. So, why do people become atheist, your informed opinion is...

toba:
ignorance and frustration

And do note I was ignoring you at first, but you continued, true to xter, being an a$$.

Anyhoo, you call atheists ignorant, frustrated and pathetic. I do believe I'm an atheist, mor.on, so I'm well entitled to reply to this bit of nonsense. Or I don't qualify as one of these atheists? If I don't, I have this nagging feeling that were I meeker I'd be in that list, my good bully who has been here for 10 years (when was NL formed? *smh*)

It boils down to this for the most part though, you deserve to be treated like the a$$ you are. The indignation is a tad silly. Meh
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 5:54am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I believed in the God that showed me redemptive plans. He had shown it in shadows and fulfilled the reality. What else you wanna hear?

On the slavery issue, I get confused. Is there any strong condemnation of the act in the bible?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 6:11am On Jan 27, 2013
wiegraf:

On the slavery issue, I get confused. Is there any strong condemnation of the act in the bible?
Straight answer: No.

Like some other poster (I refrain from using 'moronic' ) on that amazing coogar thread, it only regulated it, never endorsed it.. Laughable...

Imagine jega saying Inec only regulates elections, but doesn't endorse them..
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 6:25am On Jan 27, 2013
wiegraf:

I don't know what you and my brother musKeeto wants to hear. Are you guys not getting my gist? There're two definitions to slaves or kinds of slaves in the bible. Do we, Christians still fight physical war today? The slave in the Old Testament was a "Captive" Slave that existed by war captives. The NT slaves is "Subjective" by the will of a person to a master. In fact, the OT also taught that "captive" slaves should be treated fairly.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Gather boys keh? So you're now judging me by my past shey? Anyway, na you sabi sha grin. There's nothing like that anymore in the life I now possess in Christ Jesus.

BTW, Atheist like you dey pray? To who naw? To the God you don't believe in or to yourself? Or to calved images?

To the Ultimate Cassava Stick nah. No worry, very soon we go have our own official holy book and men of garri: father logicboy, bishop muskeeto, pastor cyrexx, prophet manmustwac and treasurer inurmind.grin
sebi e look good nah?grin
Our holybook sef go dey tops, watch out!wink
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 6:33am On Jan 27, 2013
^^^ No worry bro. I will have time to debunk ALL you Atheists on board one day When I have una time. Shey be we dey look una while una dey show skill all these days abi. Especially you, inurmind, I see say you dey form mighty Hegor in the recent times. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Abeg, me wan go sleep my own now. Una don sleep wake up. Na now me wan go sleep my own. It's sleep o'clock here bro. Enjoy but no make too much wahala o or else, na kain you sef go chop if I wake up catch you with wahala. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360: ^^^ No worry bro. I will have time to debunk ALL you Atheists on board one day When I have una time. Shey be we dey look una while una dey show skill all these days abi. Especially you, inurmind, I see say you dey form mighty Hegor in the recent times. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Abeg, me wan go sleep my own now. Una don sleep wake up. Na now me wan go sleep my own. It's sleep o'clock here bro. Enjoy but no make too much wahala o or else, na kain you sef go chop if I wake up catch you with wahala. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh you will find me with plenty wahala. Troublemaker is my second name.gringringrin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I don't know what you and my brother [b]musKeeto wants to hear.[/b] Are you guys not getting my gist? There're two definitions to slaves in the bible. Do we, Christians still fight physical war today? The slave in the Old Testament was a "Captive" Slave that existed by war captives. The NT slaves is "Subjective" by the will of a person to a master. In fact, the OT also taught that "captive" slaves should be treated fairly.
At first highlighted, it's a straightforward question. We just need a straightforward answer. It's not about how the slaves were treated. Was there slavery in those days? Yes, there was.
The Israelites, for example, were slaves in Egypt before Moses came along and emancipated them. Definitely God didn't approve of the way they were treated. But was He against slavery or was he just concerned because his 'chosen' were on the receiving end? The latter looks more likely.

At second highlighted, that's your definition not the Bible's. The Bible sanctioned the purchase of slaves (both Hebrew and foreigners). Slaves in OT times weren't just POWs.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

At third highlighted, I didn't quite get you.. willingly submitting oneself to another doesn't make one a slave, does it? Else, the 12 disciples would be called the 12 slaves.. Anyways, in the NT, the Bible still doesn't address the issue of slavery as evil. This time, it focuses on the Christian slave's attitude..
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 7:51am On Jan 27, 2013
musKeeto:
Straight answer: No.

Like some other poster (I refrain from using 'moronic' ) on that amazing coogar thread, it only regulated it, never endorsed it.. Laughable...

Imagine jega saying Inec only regulates elections, but doesn't endorse them..

Yes, the bolded. Facepalm moment there.
Jega wasn't involved, he just managed the process and declared the winner. He had no choice. /sarcasm.

But seriously, omnipotent god really had no choice but to go along with his puny humans desires to continue slaving. Unlike the instances he took time out of his busy schedule to condemn homosexuality, eating shell fish and working on sabbath. Heinous crimes, punishable by stoning to the death then an eternity roasting in hell (We wicked, oh boy we wicked. So wicked it's not even funny. Which human being imagine this kind thing. Che, humanity! Stone age cave dwelling...)

To expantiate on that, look at the current debacle that is religion and marriage. Judeo-xtian faiths regulate marriages within their communities. They're doctrine says gay = bad, het = good. No ghey marriage, so it's now made a statement of approval for het marriages while ghey are condemned. It has acknowledged marriage as a good thing, in fact encourages it in this case, it just regulates it.

Now, step back and apply the same to slavery. We don't get any condemnation, rather we get regulation, just like we get regulation of marriages. So, slavery is good under certain conditions as far as the bible is considered. That is quite alarming to say the least.

Supposing one argues that unlike marriage, the bible views slavery as a bad thing and thus set out to regulate it (I doubt it does that), I remember pointing out in that thread that that's still very much a nice slippery slope, it changes nothing. Consider;

Robbery is acceptable so long as the amount stolen is less than 1 mill
Rap.e is acceptable so long as the victim doesn't share your faith

Ok, that is troublesome. Now, a judeoxtian may argue that his religion doesn't do any of these (well actually, I think they do condone or even encourage ra.pe under certain conditions, but I'll ignore that for now), then again...

Murder is acceptable so long as it's for the cause (I'm looking at you muslims. What's that, jihad isn't murder? You told that to the 9/11 victims' families yet?)
Slavery is acceptable so long as the slave isn't jewish

I mean wtf?

This always leads to a question posed before the dawn of xtianity eventually; are deeds good inherently or are they good because god(s) decree them so?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 7:59am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I don't know what you and my brother musKeeto wants to hear. Are you guys not getting my gist? There're two definitions to slaves or kinds of slaves in the bible. Do we, Christians still fight physical war today? The slave in the Old Testament was a "Captive" Slave that existed by war captives. The NT slaves is "Subjective" by the will of a person to a master. In fact, the OT also taught that "captive" slaves should be treated fairly.

Read my post above, no condemnation but regulation of slavery in any form is really, really troublesome. Like muskeeto points out, all slavery is, simply put, wrong. Or there were no alternatives, like say salary?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 27, 2013
wiegraf:

That is actually a boss chief, lol. He, at least, has faith in humanity and realizes that regardless of how it may seem on the surface, unless you're dealing with a sociopath, stealing is usually the very last option any sane human being would take.

I try read that thread, e tire me lol. 2 yampions going at it. How many different religions are there in xtianity?
Lolz, consider doing same in Naija.. Cows could become extinct. I think faith in humanity's limited to environment and neighbors.. I'm what I'm because of who we are?

Lol @ religions in Xtianity... Not religions, just different ways of life... Jesus would be wondering along with His dad if their special https protocol aka the Holy Spirit, has been hacked...
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by LemonBoy1: 8:27am On Jan 27, 2013
The Holy Bible talk about God bt atheist don't believe in God so its entirely unwise for a xtain to base his arguments on biblical references. Bt i hv a question 4 d atheists: pls how did earth nd all of its likes came to exist? I nid ur enlightenment on this
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2013
musKeeto:
Lolz, consider doing same in Naija.. Cows could become extinct. I think faith in humanity's limited to environment and neighbors.. I'm what I'm because of who we are?

The argument usually leads to maturity. For instance, many well educated chinese would tell you they fully support the party's dictatorial nature. As far as they're concerned, far too many of their people are either too ignorant, greedy, petty etc to be trusted to make reasonable decisions on their own, and therefore they need someone to keep them inline. The benevolent dictator. When they see their government being criticized by the west, they cringe. Same way some cringe when told that slavery still very much exists in africa. Quite a lot of 'house helps' do qualify as some sort of slaves. Anyways, many countries were able to modernize without benevolent dictators, so a heavy handed approach is not the only available route or necessarily the best approach. But it's tricky, tricky. 9ja is probably not mature enough to support thieves with cows smiley. We wouldn't last a month I think. Tribalism in particular would kill such an approach. E fit work for secluded villages though, like the zambian's.

musKeeto:
Lol @ religions in Xtianity... Not religions, just different ways of life... Jesus would be wondering along with His dad if their special https protocol aka the Holy Spirit, has been hacked...

Hmmm, the differences no be moi moi sha. And the beef amongst them...lol

I dey go crash oga
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2013
musKeeto:

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 8:42am On Jan 27, 2013
LemonBoy1: The Holy Bible talk about God bt atheist don't believe in God so its entirely unwise for a xtain to base his arguments on biblical references. Bt i hv a question 4 d atheists: pls how did earth nd all of its likes came to exist? I nid ur enlightenment on this

Atheism has no doctrine, it's not a religion. Everyone would have his own answer. A short answer from me would be; I don't know. The one thing most atheists would agree with is this; nothing supernatural was involved. The one thing all atheists will agree on; there were no gods anywhere at all involved. All this said, there are various hypotheses flying around which speculate about the beginning (note, big b.ang says nothing about what caused it, if indeed it was caused). I have to sleep, perhaps someone else will take over.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by LemonBoy1: 9:26am On Jan 27, 2013
^^^ u av made ur point "u don't knw wat caused it" so i may assert dat u believe dat smtin actually caused it (as 4 d big bang) or formed it (as 4 d earth) nd i may also presume dat "wat ever" d cause is (too early to use "whoever" nw) is unearthly nd extra-terrestrial, nd also mst av an origin. Nw pls smbdy else (since my brother here hs gone 2 sleep) clearify me on its origin or form mayb evn reasön (science is also about reasn) please oh, mk my head clear nah
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 27, 2013
Apologies to Goshen Mazaje and co.
wiegraf:

Brah, like you pointed out, or were trying to point out, what's the point of a discussion with a mor.on?
Good boy. U are gradually coming up. Can u now see the reason why i've refrained myself from answering ur questions? Judging by the number of times u've mentioned the word mor.on, it only shows that u may be one urself. Also u did admitted to seldom being one. Any need to continue with you?
You were civil only after I called you out.
You're a liar. I didnt use insulting word that directly depicts abuse like name calling, but you did first.
You insist on playing the victim,
Never. Im only giving u the benefit of a doubt that you really deserve to be responded to.
I'm confused as to why?
Maybe because you need to work on ur comprehension skills.
Rhetorical question my a$$,
anything wrong with ur a$$?
you made a comment and I want you to clarify, very simple. Is that your opinion, or something you can back up?
You posited above that if there's a need to respond to a mor.on. You also confirmed being one and have indeed acted like one thus far, why should i respond to a mor.on? If u give a convincing response, i may decide to respond.

See above. And btw, again, you get what you deserve. Sheesh
I've seen it. its my post. I dont get why u quoted it in the first place. seems u're running out of gas.

Hmmm, lemme the post I responded to, mr adult.
ok. Thks for the complement grin

This is what you were replying to
yes it is.

While I think she's so, so wrong, note the avoidance of using a term like 'pathetic'. That, I would say, is certainly more civil than your post, no?
I see. I have the right to my choice of word provided its within the confinement of the forum rules. Pathetic in my post is an emotional word which has to do with feelings and not a direct insult at anyone. Guy are u this dumb? can u compare that with ur choice of words? SMH seriously.

And for good measure, here's some of the nonsense you posted earlier in response to the op.
No. Im not posting Nonsense and havent posted nonsense. It may be easy for a mor.on to mix things up. isnt it?

And do note I was ignoring you at first, but you continued, true to xter, being an a$$.
This is called trolling. I believe it takes an a$$ to recognise an a$$.

Anyhoo, you call atheists ignorant, frustrated and pathetic.
Yes. ignorance and frustration leads people to atheism. This is a direct response to the OP. I've heard testimonies of ex atheists and this is one of the reasons that led them into Atheism.
I do believe I'm an atheist, mor.on, so I'm well entitled to reply to this bit of nonsense.
still trolling. You could have ignored it. or do u respond to every post u read on NL? You probably wanted my attention, hence responding to my post.

Or I don't qualify as one of these atheists? If I don't, I have this nagging feeling that were I meeker I'd be in that list, my good bully who has been here for 10 years (when was NL formed? *smh*)
well thats ur biz. I care less if u are an atheist or not. its a matter of choice. 'how do people become atheist' my response ignorance and frustration leads to atheism. simple.

It boils down to this for the most part though, you deserve to be treated like the a$$ you are. The indignation is a tad silly. Meh
frustration on display again. You'll realize that u are agitated and it only shows how frustrated you are. I'll do my best to be civil in my response to you. You're trolling and seeking my attention. Dont worry, for as long as u want my attention by responding to my post, i'll indulge you. cheesy

Happy sunday.

More?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 11:13am On Jan 27, 2013
LemonBoy1: The Holy Bible talk about God bt atheist don't believe in God so its entirely unwise for a xtain to base his arguments on biblical references. Bt i hv a question 4 d atheists: pls how did earth nd all of its likes came to exist? I nid ur enlightenment on this

Satan made it. Unless you can prove he didn't.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by LemonBoy1: 11:36am On Jan 27, 2013
advocate666:

Satan made it. Unless you can prove he didn't.

pls who is satan? Hw nd y did he/she/it made it?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
Numbers 15: 32 - 36

And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

According to the story, the people actually stoned the poor man to death for collecting firewood on the wrong day. Fortunately, most who believe these are the words of God are no longer willing to follow his words - but some still do
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 12:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
LemonBoy1:

pls who is satan? Hw nd y did he/she/it made it?

A fool asks who is Satan. Satan just said let it be, and it became. Believe it or prove that I am wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

When She Wants To Talk To You About Everything Else But Jesus / Is Picking Fruits In Dream Really A Sign Of Good Omen? / A Lot Of Stories And Verses In The Bible Were Copied From Another Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.