Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

How Do People Become Atheists - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do People Become Atheists (9741 Views)

Jesus Is The Reason Why People Become Atheists / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 7:04pm On Jan 26, 2013
toba: ignorance and frustration

as opposed to repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by UyiIredia(m): 7:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
It actually begins by having doubts about one's faith. In some cases, people where brought up by atheists and became atheists.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 7:11pm On Jan 26, 2013
logicboy03, From someone like you who has guts to direct every kind of insult against God, I will not permit myself to feel insulted.
I have noticed however that you don't read and understand posts before you reply to them. Take your time, read over and over again until you understand then respond. Remember, it is not all about winning an arguement, what's at stake is actually the eternal destiny of your soul.
Am happy that all informed atheists are in agreement on the one fact that all bible stories could be traced and proven to have happened in history. In Numbers 21, God was leading Isreal out of Egypt, In the wilderness the people spoke against God and his servant. God sent fiery serpents among the people so that much of them died. When they confessed thier sins, God forgave them and provided for them a way out. God's solution was for Moses to make a fiery serpent and put on a pole. If a serpent bit anyone afterwards AND HE LOOKED UP TO THE POLE, he survived. Now that's beyond logic or illogical as you will prefer to put it. But it was God's method nonetheless. If anyone chose not to look up after being bitten by a snake probably because the solution was 'simplistic', he died.
God in his characteristic way has made Jesus the answer to all of man need. All he requires you to do is believe. He won't come down from heaven neither will he release someone from hell. In fact you might not get the privilede of a "damascus road experience". But believing leads to life and not believing leads to death. The ball is in your court.
Am praying that God in his mercies will open the eyes of your spirit and others like you so that you can see him and heed his call. God bless you.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 7:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
wiegraf:

This has already been pointed out to you, and your response has been faaarrr from satisfactory. This here translates to god is real because you say so. Or did you provide evidence anywhere?

Pure, arrogant nonsense. You expect me to believe in your god just because you say so? Good, accept my assertion that there is no god because I say so. Or allah, zeus, pikkiwokki, paying tithes to me, discriminating against other religions, the earth as the centre of the universe, women as inferior, jewish zombies, talking fires, a man splitting the moon in half, pedophilia, the earth being on the back of a turtle, santa....etc etc etc. Accept all these, plus some, just because I say so. I have after all provided as much evidence as you have; non. Perhaps you'd like some metaphysical nonsense to go with that? Fine, all this is true because there is a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. Also, when I see suya on tv when hungry, I salivate, therefore atheism and all the other etcs.

Do you see how arrogant you are? Go and get some evidence before you come at us with this nonsense, ie is if you expect civil replies. Your other arguments are just as laughably weak, but we can stick to this for now.

And generally, how do you know you were born a theist? You do realize religion has been hammered into you from childhood? Or did you try being muslim, jain, sikh etc without any sort of pressure or indoctrination from childhood? What you're doing here is assuming you were born a manure fan, or chel$ki fan, or a jay z fan, or a republican etc. Or are you saying religious belief is biological?

you want evidence that God exists? If yes then very good. Sit down and gather every material you can on your brain. read it up and come back here to tell your thoughts on how all you'll find out came to be. We should take it from there.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 7:32pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: logicboy03, From someone like you who has guts to direct every kind of insult against God, I will not permit myself to feel insulted.

Why would you feel insulted? Are you god?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 7:35pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces:

you want evidence that God exists? If yes then very good. Sit down and gather every material you can on your brain. read it up and come back here to tell your thoughts on how all you'll find out came to be. We should take it from there.

So you want him to go and find evidence himself to prove your assertion?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: logicboy03, From someone like you who has guts to direct every kind of insult against God, I will not permit myself to feel insulted.
I have noticed however that you don't read and understand posts before you reply to them. Take your time, read over and over again until you understand then respond. Remember, it is not all about winning an arguement, what's at stake is actually the eternal destiny of your soul.
Am happy that all informed atheists are in agreement on the one fact that all bible stories could be traced and proven to have happened in history. In Numbers 21, God was leading Isreal out of Egypt, In the wilderness the people spoke against God and his servant. God sent fiery serpents among the people so that much of them died. When they confessed thier sins, God forgave them and provided for them a way out. God's solution was for Moses to make a fiery serpent and put on a pole. If a serpent bit anyone afterwards AND HE LOOKED UP TO THE POLE, he survived. Now that's beyond logic or illogical as you will prefer to put it. But it was God's method nonetheless. If anyone chose not to look up after being bitten by a snake probably because the solution was 'simplistic', he died.
God in his characteristic way has made Jesus the answer to all of man need. All he requires you to do is believe. He won't come down from heaven neither will he release someone from hell. In fact you might not get the privilede of a "damascus road experience". But believing leads to life and not believing leads to death. The ball is in your court.
Am praying that God in his mercies will open the eyes of your spirit and others like you so that you can see him and heed his call. God bless you.

Here we go again! Another deluded christian running wild on a thread. I will have to drink a gallon of fresh palm wine to believe in your God.

You are quoting from the Bible as if you wrote it. Why not quote from the Koran and the Buddist book? Make reference to them and we might see a bit of sense in what you are saying.

You Bible god according to what you said, sent serpents to bite hos own creation and forced the to look up to the searpent on the cross to be saved. How manipulative! It is like what the western government did- spreading HIV virus in Africa and selling the cure to those who can afford the hefty price tag.

You are saying Jesus is your Lord and saviour,and yet salvation is far from you. Rather than look further or look up to your non convincing sky god, look arond you and you will realze that you and i are the potential source of salvation.

It a shame people Like THOMAS SANKARA, PATRICE LUMUMBA,FELA, STEPHEN BIKO,FELA seem to have died for nothing. PLEASE STOP PATRONIZING THE FOREIGNERS god,instead be greatful for what you have and the legacies our ancestors who have paid for our liberation with thier blood........no jesus!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by benodic: 8:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
seriously i really do not know why Christians keep on wasting their time arguing with atheists over the existence of God. God is big enough to convince any one directly about Its existence if it wants to. it does not need help from any puny soul to do that for It.
when a soul has reached maturity the call of soul from God breaks through the fog of confusion and non-believe and such a soul sees and hears clearly the light and the voice of God removing any doubt about the existence of God. until one is blessed with such experience it is a pure waste of time trying to convince the person. there is even no need to.

always remember the experience of Saul on the way to Damascus. prior to that he strongly believed he was doing the right thing fighting for his God by persecuting Christians until he was blinded by the light and he heard the voice telling him he was going about it the wrong way.

put your energy in purifying yourself and making yourself a better channel for God's love and giving out this love to everybody without any form of discrimination, bias or prejudice, then you are being Godlike and that is what matters.
and of course to my atheists brothers you have every right not to believe in God and nobody should harass or judge you for that. let God prove Itself to you if It really exists.
remain blessed
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 8:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces:

Could this reply be any dumber? Wtf do you think you are? As usual, arrogance from xtians. You asserted in that post that god exists, prove it else shut up. And again, I assert all those things I listed in my initial post exist, I now expect you to accept it just because, ok?

Come to think of it, you do accept jewish zombies and talking fires existed just because. Why is it so hard to accept pikkiwokki or splitting the moon in half?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 8:52pm On Jan 26, 2013
benodic:
seriously i really do not know why Christians keep on wasting their time arguing with atheists over the existence of God. God is big enough to convince any one directly about Its existence if it wants to. it does not need help from any puny soul to do that for It.
when a soul has reached maturity the call of soul from God breaks through the fog of confusion and non-believe and such a soul sees and hears clearly the light and the voice of God removing any doubt about the existence of God. until one is blessed with such experience it is a pure waste of time trying to convince the person. there is even no need to.

always remember the experience of Saul on the way to Damascus. prior to that he strongly believed he was doing the right thing fighting for his God by persecuting Christians until he was blinded by the light and he heard the voice telling him he was going about it the wrong way.

put your energy in purifying yourself and making yourself a better channel for God's love and giving out this love to everybody without any form of discrimination, bias or prejudice, then you are being Godlike and that is what matters.
and of course to my atheists brothers you have every right not to believe in God and nobody should harass or judge you for that. let God prove Itself to you if It really exists.
remain blessed

I disagree with so much of that while agreeing with quite a bit as well. But what I disagree with is frankly, your full prerogative, not my biz. The bold I definitely agree with. Kudos.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 26, 2013
toba: ignorance and frustration
Lol, surely you mean why do people remain Zombie christians
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2013

WTF Dude!!!! undecided

are you ok?? undecided

You know absolutely nothing about your religion neither do you know the widely accepted stance on all the outrageous stories we find in your "holy" book .

From a senior citizen rounding up two of every animal (actually seven clean and seven unclean depending on which chapter u're reading) into a wooden boat to the Palestinian woman that got pregnant without a man.

Ask yourself this simple question..
What is more likely? The laws of nature, physics and science are suspended OR a Palestinian woman is telling a lie OR a bunch of guys are making up stories?

The answer to this will prevent you from saying what you do undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Heatblast(m): 9:41pm On Jan 26, 2013

Are you joking or something

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 26, 2013
What surprises me is how the xtians start a ridiculous thread and run away after been debunked.

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 26, 2013
benodic:

remain blessed
10000000000 likes.

These days, when im less busy with real issues and have little time for NL, i hardly engage atheists in argument cos its worthless. Some have been placed on my ignore list
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2013
toba: 10000000000 likes.

These days, when im less busy with real issues and have little time for NL, i hardly engage atheists in argument cos its worthless. Some have been placed on my ignore list

Good soldiers of christ run away from atheists. This is a direct disobedience of your master that instructed you to preach the gospel to all people.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 26, 2013
advocate666:

Good soldiers of christ run away from atheists. This is a direct disobedience of your master that instructed you to preach the gospel to all people.

We 'run away' from jobless trolls, sounds more like it !

smiley
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 26, 2013
advocate666:

Frosbel has given the correct response. Then i used to have time for frivolities but not anymore.

I love to get engage in productive things. cheesy
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 10:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
frosbel:

We 'run away' from jobless trolls, sounds more like it !

smiley

Not in your case. You run away when you've been b1tch slapped
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 11:19pm On Jan 26, 2013
These christians are reetarded.

One claims that inbreeding is not in the bible when the act is performed in the bible (eg Abraham and Sarah)

(1)the term 'inbreeding' is your own defination, (2)it is not contained in the bible (3)we do not need to agree with 'your terms' of defination on what alledgedly ensued between abraham and sarah, and we hold the right to our own concept reagarding the issue, and that has to be respected.

The other claims that the bible is not illogical but beyond logic! There is only logical and illogical....there is nothing beyond logic.

you dont reason beyond your nose, olodo-rabata-oju-eja-loomooje!

what you call logic 'are mere traditions of so called wise men' and are 'philosophies and empty deceptions' leading nowhere;

colosians 2:8

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

1 corinthians 1:20-21:
gave me some insights concerning people like you who think you are wise;

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Another funny comment is that one claims that it is just to set two bears loose on children for mocking a bald man.

it seems funny to you because you are lawless, and you want people to join you in that unruly state, Mocking is not just a mere offence, there was a rule prohibiting that under the law covenant then, in exodus,'honor!your father and mother, including the elderly.....in an event of not adhering to that, a punishment is awarded to regulate behaviors that cannot be condoned. unruly fools like logicboy can never see why law has to be adhered to, Agbaaya!

You foolsih christian will have children one day and I will see if you will sacrifice them wehn they are disrespectful

sorry, you dont even know what christians means, but yet you jump into condemning them, christians received their belief not through 'the written law, but by faith through christ, we are not under the written law, but our circumcision is through our 'hearts' i doubt if you will not misinterprete this oleee! onyioshi,barawo!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
toba: 10000000000 likes.

Arguments based on how real your imaginary friend is? Why we should thank you imaginary friend for every success and blame satan for our faults and failures. Please go back to your dream world!

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 26, 2013
toba: Frosbel has given the correct response. Then i used to have time for frivolities but not anymore.

I love to get engage in productive things. cheesy

You meant non productive things like enriching your pastors? Praying to an imaginary sky god rather than using common sense and working hard to solving your problems. You have been debunked,so run away like your colleagues!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
BERNIMOORE:

(1)the term 'inbreeding' is your own defination, (2)it is not contained in the bible (3)we do not need to agree with 'your terms' of defination on what alledgedly ensued between abraham and sarah, and we hold the right to our own concept reagarding the issue, and that has to be respected.

you dont reason beyond your nose, olodo-rabata-oju-eja-loomooje!

what you call logic 'are mere traditions of so called wise men' and are 'philosophies and empty deceptions' leading nowhere;

colosians 2:8

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

1 corinthians 1:20-21:
gave me some insights concerning people like you who think you are wise;

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

it seems funny to you because you are lawless, and you want people to join you in that unruly state, Mocking is not just a mere offence, there was a rule prohibiting that under the law covenant then, in exodus,'honor!your father and mother, including the elderly.....in an event of not adhering to that, a punishment is awarded to regulate behaviors that cannot be condoned. unruly fools like logicboy can never see why law has to be adhered to, Agbaaya!

sorry, you dont even know what christians means, but yet you jump into condemning them, christians received their belief not through 'the written law, but by faith through christ, we are not under the written law, but our circumcision is through our 'hearts' i doubt if you will not misinterprete this oleee! onyioshi,barawo!

You better throw away that brainwashing book you quote from all the time. Or escape with your xtian friends
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Bella3(f): 11:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
People become atheists because they want to feel smarter.
Trust me it has something to do with esteem issues.

P.S: Only a small percent of 'em are actually honest in their unbelief!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 26, 2013
seems you're new here.

Let me indulge u cos of ur 'newness'
ifeness:

Arguments based on how real your imaginary friend is? Why we should thank you imaginary friend for every success and blame satan for out faults and failures.
Imaginary friend imaginary friend. Who is this imaginary friend.

Please go back to your dream world!
Nope. I dont live in one
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 26, 2013
ifeness:

You meant non productive things like enriching your pastors?
what do u mean by 'enriching your pastor'?

Praying to an imaginary sky god rather than using common sense and working hard to solving your problems.
what gives u the impression that i pray to an imaginary sky god?
You have been debunked,so run away like your colleagues!
Nope. Because i know most atheists here have got nothing to offer, hence my unwillingness to exert my energy arguing with them, doesnt mean being timid.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 26, 2013
Bélla3: People become atheists because they want to feel smarter.

You fall my hand.

Here I was thinking that you're one of the few sensible christians.

http://freethinker.co.uk/features/atheists-are-more-intelligent-than-religious-people/
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 11:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
@seeking@truth

How would u feel if ur innocent child was among those children?

have you contracted the virus logicboy is infected with that prevents him to reason well? oh i see, you call a child not brought up well or refuse training innocent? thats unrully of you, you must be a problem in your neighborhood yet claiming innocence.

anyway i can sleep with my eyes closed,and not even thinking that my children will be reported for any offence since i have benefitted from this in the bible; below

1 Cor. 15:33 says...... "bad association spoils useful habits"

Deutoronomy 11:19

Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
prov 22:6;
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

can you see why my children are well behaved? because of the bible.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
Bélla3: People become atheists because they want to feel smarter.

You're correct young lady.

atleast having been here for about 6 years, I've come to realize this.

pathetic
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 11:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
@ifeness

You better throw away that brainwashing book you quote from all the time. Or escape with your xtian friends

'brainwashing' is your word, and i dont share your terms, i hold the right to choose how best to live my life, are you better? no, most of you think that you are free only to realise that you left what seemed to be a bondage and jump into lagoon, e.g Fela kuti, he doesnt believe in God too, although he is also in traditional things too, thinking that he is free, but easily contracted AIDS and finally submit to death at 57, in evarlasting bondage, i think you must be a fool; yourself,thinking you are free i dont mean to insult you o! while driving,why do you obey trafic laws? why dont you leave the steering? you may commit murder and be jailed or killed if you are caught by lagos area boys, so you have fear, ole!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Bella3(f): 11:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

You fall my hand.

Here I was thinking that you're one of the few sensible christians.

http://freethinker.co.uk/features/atheists-are-more-intelligent-than-religious-people/

from a freethinkers point of veiw? I dy laugh.
Some Atheists are intellegent an so are some religious folks.
Believing in evolution, or believing anyone who believes in a deity is 'deluded' doesnt make you smart, mbanu.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 12:00am On Jan 27, 2013
toba: You're correct young lady.

atleast having been here for about 6 years, I've come to realize this.

pathetic

This sounds to me like speaking out of your a$$. Is that correct?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Is Picking Fruits In Dream Really A Sign Of Good Omen? / A Lot Of Stories And Verses In The Bible Were Copied From Another Religion / The Faith Of Usain Bolt In 5 Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.