Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

How Do People Become Atheists - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do People Become Atheists (9745 Views)

Jesus Is The Reason Why People Become Atheists / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Bella3(f): 11:55am On Jan 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

This is what excessive religion does to you.

You laugh at a well referenced article with science journals.

Furthermore, a freethinker is better than a person with a closed mind
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Go and look for the image of a circle.

Thank you. Maybe that's what I should have done since as these guys have no idea what a circle is no matter how much I tried to explain it to them

BERNIMOORE The fact that I can't see the gravity doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From your logic God doesn't exist because I can't see God.

Once again. There was science long before the bible or God. God came about as a result of primitive science. Long before the bible, people knew that it was water in the clouds. So what's your point?

If you are done please explain how God supporting and encouraging slave trade isn't evil and backwards. God knows its evil which is why God said Israel shouldn't take slaves from themselves. God is racist and this was one of the justification Britain used when hey attacked our ancestors and made slaves of them while subjecting them to inhumane treatment.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 12:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
The first image is a circle. The second image is a sphere. Let's take it back to elementary education.

I hope you understand the difference now

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 12:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thank you. Maybe that's what I should have done since as these guys have no idea what a circle is no matter how much I tried to explain it to them

the problem you guys have is insincerity and inpatience!

ijawkid raise this question since but you guys dodge it, see it popping up again,

ijawkid:logicboy
Oya just open one verse of the bible that says the earth is flat...the scriptures have proven long ago before science was born that the earth is circular.......the fact is if you agree it would make you drop all your false claims that the bible is spurious..........that is why atheist like your type would keep implying rubbish to isaiah 40:22 to keep your Godless brains going.

before you accuse bible by making a case for flatness, you should have your proofs that actually mention 'flat' in the bible and not juxtapose using your own literal translations, thats pure insincere! if we go to court with this claim, your innability to show the word 'flat' but relying on my circle/globe actually found in the bible will knock your case off! and thats due to hasty accusations by you!

BERNIMOORE The fact that I can't see the gravity doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From your logic God doesn't exist because I can't see God.

dont change issues here, you are jumping exegical holes!, you are now smuggling a case for existence now to muddle things up, na ojoro we dey call that one,eh be carefull, one by one; job was talking from from 'vision'(at least you do dream) and could not see phisical things holding the earth! has that not knocked you off?

bolded above you admitted that you cant see gravity, and that is a credit to job who wrote this more than 2000 yrs before your so called science! are you not enjoying being exposed to new learnings that you have been evading over years?

If you are done please(1b) explain how God supporting and encouraging slave trade isn't evil and backwards. God knows its evil which is why God said Israel shouldn't take slaves from themselves.(2b)God is racist and this was one of the justification Britain used when hey attacked our ancestors and made slaves of them while subjecting them to inhumane treatment.

dont divert issues yet, i will treat that dully(i have coded it 1b and 2b respectively, and noted) i have the answers!

and since you admit that 'you cannot see gravity, just thats the way job saw 'nothing in the vision' ok? you are defeated in this ore!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Affiliated: The first image is a circle. The second image is a sphere. Let's take it back to elementary education.

I hope you understand the difference now

there is no way you will ever draw this objects you posted without drawing a circle(1)primarily, and can be used to form (b)its secondary usages, true or false, moreover a 'globe' was actually used in the bible, so you have no (exclusive point;unchallenged point here) to prove flatness here!

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
1. Well your post about Job not seeing gravity and concluding nothing was there is understandable so if that's the way it was I'll leave it at that.

Affiliated:
OK. First of all let me say that the bible wasn't wrong by claiming "He sits above the circle of the earth". If you view a sphere and refuse to take into account its volume then it would look like a circle. Just like those who don't know would say the moon or sun is a circle.
The bible didn't give the shape of the earth there but it didn't make a mistake either.

Notice I didn't say the bible was wrong. I already know that a sphere can be viewed as a circle. [Refer to image of earth below].
The bible isn't wrong in these claims but it isn't accurate either. And its even worse for a supposed perfect book

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 1:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
Friends as long as you approach the bible this way, you will continue to miss God. Have you ever thought about why a backslidden King Solomon's thoughts and life is included in the holy writ? It is because the bible is completely illogical. Yes it contains the word of God and He speaks to us through it when we approach it correctly, but until then, we do ourselves so much harm by even reading it.
Here is my story, by training am a
core scientist and very widely read.
My training predisposes me to ask
questions and question answers
until I arrive at questions that are
unanswerrable and answers that
are unquestionable. However, God
helped me. I realized years ago
that science as wonderful as it is
has its limitations. There are plenty
phenomena it hasn't been able to
evidentially explain. There are
several theories or positions it
held few years ago which in the
light of newer discoveries no
longer hold. What's more, it can
only investigate the natural,
physical world. Nothing more! It
has created absolutely nothing. All
true scientist and science itself are
bewildered by science's
discoveries some of which were
actually mistakes.
There is hardly any atheistic
position I haven't read,
understood and found credible
and completely satisfactory
answers to from the word of God.
And I tell you the truth, anybody
could find this answers satisfactory
as well except that they are
beyond science and logic. They are
spiritual.
"My thoughts are completely
different from yours," says the
lord. "And my ways are far beyond
anything you could imagine. For
just as the heavens are higher
than the earth, so are my ways
higher than your ways and my
thoughts higher than your
thoughts."
Is 55:8,9(NLT)
If we must find God, his terms is
that we must come in faith for
faith is what connects the physical
to the spiritual. That was how
those who walked before us
obtained God's approval and until
we have faith, we will never be
able to trully understand (Heb
11:2-3)
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
Traeces. The story you put there isn't yours. Is it?
Anyway the points there are valid except " What's more, it [Science] can only investigate the natural, physical world. Nothing more! "

That's just false on all accounts. On the basis of following illogical things on the account of faith. That method would work for anything. Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, God, Allah and so on...
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 1:45pm On Jan 28, 2013
Notice I didn't say the bible was wrong. I already know that a sphere can be viewed as a circle. [Refer to image of earth below].

good, im not trying to win argument either, but to let us fairly consider things bible says, and how credible it is or not!
The bible isn't wrong in these claims but it isn't accurate either. And its even worse for a supposed perfect book

it depends on what you refer to as accuraccy, we believed that we are not the only thing that God created and yet he cares to give a hint of truth and not put us in darkness as found in the bible, we as christians too make sure that we work by digging out corresponding truths to compliment,the way archeologists do! i personally dont expect everything to be perfect, but at least near-perfect!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 1:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
Affiliated: Traeces. The story you put there isn't yours. Is it?
Anyway the points there are valid except " What's more, it [Science] can only investigate the natural, physical world. Nothing more! "

That's just false on all accounts. On the basis of following illogical things on the account of faith. That method would work for anything. Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, God, Allah and so on...

I actually do not understand your last paragraph. Anyway, to convince on the bolded, you might want to investigate science from all the references available to you.
Science is beautiful but very limited.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by ijawkid(m): 1:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
Affiliated: 1. Well your post about Job not seeing gravity and concluding nothing was there is understandable so if that's the way it was I'll leave it at that.

Let us ask logicboy the shape of the earth from the pix you attached below..............

Where is he sef??.......

The earth is a circle when viewed from all corners(directions).............which makes it globular........

You guys should at lease respect the bible even if you've decided to be atheists(wanting to do what you like with the thinking that you're not accountable to the Creator of the universe)................
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 1:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
BERNIMOORE:

good, im not trying to win argument either, but to let us fairly consider things bible says, and how credible it is or not!

it depends on what you refer to as accuraccy, we believed that we are not the only thing that God created and yet he cares to give a hint of truth and not put us in darkness as found in the bible, we as christians too make sure that we work by digging out corresponding truths to compliment,the way archeologists do! i personally dont expect everything to be perfect, but at least near-perfect!

OK. Can we move on to issue 2 now?

Explain how God supporting and encouraging slave trade isn't evil and backwards. God knows its evil which is why God said Israel shouldn't take slaves from themselves. God is racist and this was one of the justification Britain used when hey attacked our ancestors and made slaves of them while subjecting them to inhumane treatment.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 1:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
traeces:

I actually do not understand your last paragraph. Anyway, to convince on the bolded, you might want to investigate science from all the references available to you.
Science is beautiful but very limited.

For a long time now there has been quantum physics which isn't physical as we know it. And what exactly is spiritual? Just a reality that is beyond our natural senses. Science would still find it out just the way we made x-rays to access visions outside our natural physical senses.

About the illogical-faith thing. Santa Claus is very much as real as a big man like being sitting on a white chair in the sky just above the earth [Bible definition of God]
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 2:01pm On Jan 28, 2013
ijawkid:

Let us ask logicboy the shape of the earth from the pix you attached below..............

Where is he sef??.......

The earth is a circle when viewed from all corners(directions).............which makes it globular........

You guys should at lease respect the bible even if you've decided to be atheists(wanting to do what you like with the thinking that you're not accountable to the Creator of the universe)................

I'm accountable to the creator/cause of the universe. The creator/cause of the universe is not a big man like being sitting on a white chair in the sky just above the earth [Bible definition of God] What is the creator/cause of the universe then?
The shape of the earth from the pic is still spherical to advanced minds. Only children would say that is circular
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 2:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
@affiliated, you contradict yourself. I find you holding very strong opinions about things you do not understand. why is that?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 2:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
traeces: @affiliated, you contradict yourself. I find you holding very strong opinions about things you do not understand. why is that?

Point out the contradictions please
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 2:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
Not only was the bible advocating a flat earth, in fact it says that it has foundations made of pillars and does not move. It is unequivocal about it.

Job 38:4

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

1 Samuel 2:8

8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and he hath set the world upon them.

Psalm 93:1

1 The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty
and is armed with strength.
The world is firmly established;
it cannot be moved.

These definitions do not fit with a rotating spherical rock.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 2:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
^Lol. Nice
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 2:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
BERNIMOORE I'm still waiting for your answer to issue 2

Explain how God supporting and encouraging slave trade isn't evil and backwards. God knows its evil which is why God said Israel shouldn't take slaves from themselves. God is racist and this was one of the justification Britain used when they attacked our ancestors and made slaves of them while subjecting them to inhumane treatment.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 2:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
The devil is a thief, a murderer, a destroyer, a manipulator and a liar(Jn10:10,8:44). Truth also is that he is really good at his game. How he manipulates people into choosing death in place of life all the while making them think they are intellectual and smart baffles my small mind.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 2:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
traeces: The devil is a thief, a murderer, a destroyer, a manipulator and a liar(Jn10:10,8:44). Truth also is that he is really good at his game. How he manipulates people into choosing death in place of life all the while making them think they are intellectual and smart baffles my small mind.

Is that all you can say?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Traeces when I say that I'm accountable to the creator/cause of the universe I don't mean it in any moral sense. All I mean is that I'm subject to all the laws of the universe.

I don't understand your sudden digression to the devil. I could also say that there is an evil entity called ignorance who is manipulating you into thinking that you are wise and so on...
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2013
Not only was the bible advocating a flat earth, in fact it says that it has foundations made of pillars and does not move. It is unequivocal about it.

@Advocate666

Advocate of misrepresentations

after answering your first question,as ungratefull as you are bent in misrepresentation,do you aknowledge that you erred in that book of job? you lacked respect and courtesy, anyway let me show you this again;

misrepresentation no (1) pillars not mentioned;

Job 38:4

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

metaphorial use of words in parallel with 'the poor' 'the beggar' so also 'pillars of earth' are all metaphorial;

1 Samuel 2:8

8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and he hath set the world upon them.

Psalm 93:1

1 The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty
and is armed with strength.
The world is firmly established;
it cannot be moved.

These definitions do not fit with a rotating spherical rock.

The world is firmly established here means 'not create it in vain' 'but to be inhabited forever by humans' and not 'firm' as in something that cannot rotate; see more on that below;

Isaiah 45:18
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 For thus says the Lord,
Who created the heavens,
Who is God,
Who formed the earth and made it,
Who has established it,
Who did not create it in vain,
Who formed it to be inhabited
:
“I am the Lord, and there is no other.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 3:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
If it contradicts what it is saying, call it metaphor.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 3:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
OK.I'll take it BERNIMOORE has no answer to our issue 2 and wants to ignore it rather than concede the backwardness and evilness of God's commands. Well, if that's what rocks your boat then carry on.

Explain how God supporting and encouraging slave trade isn't evil and backwards. God knows its evil which is why God said Israel shouldn't take slaves from themselves. God is racist and this was one of the justification Britain used when hey attacked our ancestors and made slaves of them while subjecting them to inhumane treatment.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by LemonBoy1: 4:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
advocate666:

What are you?

My guy, y r u so clueless about ur belives? Y r u so weak to defend nd xplain ur answers? Ok, hw cn u convert me into ur likes wen u dnt av any understanding about ur likes?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 5:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
LemonBoy1:

My guy, y r u so clueless about ur belives? Y r u so weak to defend nd xplain ur answers? Ok, hw cn u convert me into ur likes wen u dnt av any understanding about ur likes?

I will explain myself in due course, but I need to know who I am discussing with. (is this a discussion or an exam class?) I have told you my religion/belief. Why are you reluctant to say yours?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
A love letter
Love is the most beautiful thing in the world. It makes the world go round so much so that even in its false forms, it still gladdens the heart at least while it lasts. It is a fundamental need of all human beings and I should add animals as well. Some of us in our search for love have been everywhere; we have experimented with people, we turned to pets, others have turned to money and others to materials. We all love to be loved.
At the root of rebellion, the cause of wars, the reason why there is murder, rape, kidnapping, terrorism and every kind of evil is the absence of love. Some of us have even rebelled against God because God has seemed not to care. We have queried; If he cared, why will my mother have died? If he truly loved me, Will my prayer not have been answered long ago? Why will I be born this disadvantaged if he was affectionately disposed towards me? Those may be facts which I may not be able to answer to but they are not the truth. Listen to the truth:
“Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with loving-kindness I have drawn you “ Jer. 31:3 (NKJV)
This is a love letter from God to you my friend. God has loved you with love that does not depend on whether you have been obedient to him or not; He has loved you with love that is kind to you whether you believe in him or not; Love that has patiently waited for you to come around. The love God has for you is such that believes the very best concerning you in spite of what everyone else has said or thinks. It is very different from the love Nlanders have for you and supersedes even the love of your parents. God’s Love for you respects your choice whether it agrees with his or not. His love for you is not selfless neither is it easily provoked. His love for you bears all things. What’s more, that love lasts forever.
You are the apple of God’s eye and you mean everything to him. God is so obsessed with you so much so that one in a certain place exclaimed;
“What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? “
Ps 8:4 (NKJV)
You’ve always been on the mind of God; You’ve always been in his agenda and that was what the devil saw that made him Jealous so much so that he brought a row between you and your God. But God whose love does not give up on you as long as it is called today (Ps 95:7,cool made the first move at reconciliation. He sought you and has continued to seek you out. There was absolutely nothing he considered unexpendable in his quest for reconciliation.
He strategized and executed the strategy step by step and finally it culminated in the death, burial and resurrection of the lord Jesus Christ which was the necessary and sufficient requirement for your redemption back to God. Finally Christ settled that age long row and made it possible for you to regain you lost place in God. The devil whose mission statement is to steal, kill and destroy (Jn10:10) also has continued to work on us making that wonderful plan of God which ultimately conquered the devil (col2:14, 15) seem like foolishness to us.
Praise God however that in his everlasting love, He calls your attention today to what he did for you. He is saying my love for you is the reason you are still here and I interested in you. Listen to that in the words of Revelations 3:20 (TLB);
"Look! I have been standing at the door, and I am constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me. “
God is right there where you are, open the door of your heart and invite him in today with this simple prayer in faith:
Lord Jesus, I thank you for loving me so much as to accept to die on the cross so that I might be delivered from the extremely unfortunate dilemma of sin and death which I inherited. Today, I have read your word and I believe your death was the death of my sinful nature, your burial was the burial of my sinful nature and your resurrection is the resurrection of my God-nature.
Forgive me my sins and cleanse me from my unrighteousness. Thank you for removing my old sinful and stony heart and replacing it with a heart of flesh inbuilt with desires that please you. Thank you also for giving me the power to live right and to do good.
Take over my whole life and lead me in the paths of righteousness for your name sake from today onwards in Jesus name I pray. Amen.

NOTE
If you prayed this prayer, we will like you to know that even though nothing might have changed on the outward just like nothing changed physically for Adam and Eve after the fall. You must however know that you have become a completely new person on the inside. A new life has begun. 2 Cor 5:17(TLB) says, “When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!”
To this end, we urge you to please do the following:
1. Identify with a Bible-believing church and/or group of Christians around you.
2. Cultivate the habit of praying regularly.
3. Regularly and prayerfully study the word of God.
4. Openly share and preach your new found faith.
I look forward to celebrating side by side with you someday in heaven. You can reach me for further help on goldtraeces@gmail.com.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by LemonBoy1: 6:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
advocate666:

I will explain myself in due course, but I need to know who I am discussing with. (is this a discussion or an exam class?) I have told you my religion/belief. Why are you reluctant to say yours?

hehehehe, "atheistic satanist, tell me urs, want to knw mine so u'l knw hw to coil ur words" hehehe, joke of d century. Bro, does d teachings nd understanding about ur religion depends on other pipo's religion? Do ur religion hav different teachings (mayb ambiguous ones) targeted to different religiòns (e.g u av a version 4 challenging xtains, a different on 4 muslims, etc) such dt u'l nid to knw whr i fall into 2 determine d version of ur religion to use at me? A religious believe should b constant, it should'nt b subject to circumstances or situation ( e.g u to a xtain 2day satan is creator nd dwells in hell, then u, 2 a buddhist 2maro, mayb obama is creator,nt satan) bro, if u nid 2 knw whr i stand b4 u answer my questions, then its clear u dnt understand ur religion, u r nt proud of it nd u r js following d teachings unaidedly
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 6:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^Haha. you're joking right? God's love is not easily provoked, is everlasting and eternal and so on while quoting bible verses. Lol. Nice post anyway
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Affiliated(m): 6:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Traeces let me ask you a question. I once accepted Jesus Christ into my life and so on but now for all intents and purposes as far as Christianity is concerned, I am an atheist.
Am I still going to heaven?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Affiliated: Traeces let me ask you a question. I once accepted Jesus Christ into my life and so on but now for all intents and purposes as far as Christianity is concerned, I am an atheist.
Am I still going to heaven?

My dear Affiliated, Your question is a very important question and you need to know there was joy in heaven the day you made that decision and all of heaven will still rejoice today if you will return to God.
In answer to your question, I will like you to know that christianity begins with faith. The bible says without faith, it is impossible to please God. (Heb. 11:6). So if for all intents and purposes, you are now an atheist, it is sad but true that you are not walking in faith as such unless you return God, am afraid you are not presently heaven bound.
1 Tim 2:19 says "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, the lord knoweth those that are his. And, let everyone that nameth the name of God depart from iniquity."
So you see the grace of God that saves us actually saves us to good works.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Faith Of Usain Bolt In 5 Tweets / Are True Christians Suppose To Participate In Politics? / Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.