Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,546 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7921 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2013
beebop: Are you a special assistant of chopping money in Bauchi state?

People have come with well reasoned arguments at the pointlessness of building an airport in Bauchi and your only rejoinder is to insult them

Come with well reasoned arguments with economic benefits on how an airport is a superior investment to basic primary industries such as agriculture or even education and we can talk.

I have been to Bauchi state in the last year. I have also been to Yankari Game Reserve which has totally fallen apart. Come again with a proper argument and for now, you are talking out of your arse

I bet you call this rubbish a well reasoned argument. My numbered points are there if you know how to read and comprehend. The fact that you think your points are well reasoned doesn't mean its well reasoned to the next man.

Please make your point if you have any or move on.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by beebop(f): 8:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile:

I bet you call this rubbish a well reasoned argument. My numbered points are there if you know how to read and comprehend. The fact that you think your points are well reasoned doesn't mean its well reasoned to the next man.

Please make your point if you have any or move on.

grin Is your a.sshole tingling? Other people have made good points that doesn't warrant rehashing. The further questions raised that I do not see any of your a.rselicking answers to are, IS there a COMPARATIVE advantage to having an airport in Bauchi State? Can the money invested in the airport not be spent in overhauling other primary industries that can potentially involve a lot of LOW SKILLED labour with tangible RETURNS over time? If I was making a cost benefit analysis (Google it), would 7.9 billion spent on an airport make enough returns that will warrant the investment?

I said that I have been to Bauchi state and my responses to these questions have been articulated well enough by people above it. Now YOU are making a case for the airport SO ANSWER these questions. I have seen your responses and they are not satisfactory
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by dustydee: 8:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
What were some of you thinking when GEJ promised to build an airport in each state? Are you now against it because it is being built by a state government?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
beebop:

grin Is your a.sshole tingling? Other people have made good points that doesn't warrant rehashing. The further questions raised that I do not see any of your a.rselicking answers to are, IS there a COMPARATIVE advantage to having an airport in Bauchi State? Can the money invested in the airport not be spent in overhauling other primary industries that can potentially involve a lot of LOW SKILLED labour with tangible RETURNS over time? If I was making a cost benefit analysis (Google it), would 7.9 billion spent on an airport make enough returns that will warrant the investment?

I said that I have been to Bauchi state and my responses to these questions have been articulated well enough by people above it. Now YOU are making a case for the airport SO ANSWER these questions. I have seen your responses and they are not satisfactory

You don't know how to read or you are just hopelessly reta..rded. The state made a decision to build a airport based on their needs and the governor justified the need with sensible economic reasons and realities. You don't have to agree with him based on your own layman opinion, but he's the governor and he's privileged with economic info that you don't have.

What you have is opinion and nothing more so keep quiet with all that gra gra nonsense. Learn to respect other peoples opinion no matter how well reasoned you sound to yourself.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by beebop(f): 9:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
Last time I looked, we were in a democracy which allows us to question the decisions of the state government and even deem them as idiotic or inspired. Living in a country as corrupt as Nigeria is, I'm sorry if I shouldn't be skeptical and just swallow everything our dear leaders shove at us and not express my "opinion" and keep quiet.

I'm not sure what privileged economic information that the governor has that is not manifested in the state that is outwardly one of the worst places I've seen in my life, economically speaking. FACT and not opinion.

With this note I'm off. Enjoy your hard earned lucre from spreading propaganda and telling citizens to keep quiet and stop questioning. I hope you can sleep well at night

Eko Ile:

You don't know how to read or you are just hopelessly reta..rded. The state made a decision to build a airport based on their needs and the governor justified the need with sensible economic reasons and realities. You don't have to agree with him based on your own layman opinion, but he's the governor and he's privileged with economic info that you don't have.

What you have is opinion and nothing more so keep quiet with all that gra gra nonsense. Learn to respect other peoples opinion no matter how well reasoned you sound to yourself.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 9:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
@beebop,

Unless you're new to this forum, stay away from this guy's argument...

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:43pm On Jan 27, 2013
beebop: Last time I looked, we were in a democracy which allows us to question the decisions of the state government and even deem them as idiotic or inspired. Living in a country as corrupt as Nigeria is, I'm sorry if I shouldn't be skeptical and just swallow everything our dear leaders shove at us and not express my "opinion" and keep quiet.

I'm not sure what privileged economic information that the governor has that is not manifested in the state that is outwardly one of the worst places I've seen in my life, economically speaking. FACT and not opinion.

With this note I'm off. Enjoy your hard earned lucre from spreading propaganda and telling citizens to keep quiet and stop questioning. I hope you can sleep well at night

^^^ like I said, all you have is opinion and nothing more. If you are so aggrieved and feel the need to question and challenge the governor, your NL gra gra with me is the most ID.iotic way to go about it, you need to go to bauchi and challenge the governor to his face.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
manny4life: @beebop,

Unless you're new to this forum, stay away from this guy's argument...

lol @ many4fool. I guess you are still struggling with your irrelevant status. Please face the wall...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 9:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile:

lol @ many4fool. I guess you are still struggling with your irrelevant status. Please face the wall...

Eko- The MASTER fuckard,,,

Lol... my irrelevant status? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

What is wrong if I'm seeking the attention to make it better? Abeg, go and hang jor... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by beebop(f): 10:04pm On Jan 27, 2013
Lol, I'm far from a frequent poster, so I haven't taken notice of this particular i..diot.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:22pm On Jan 27, 2013
beebop: Lol, I'm far from a frequent poster, so I haven't taken notice of this particular i..diot.

Enjoy.

Well, welcome..

Unless you're able to tame him like some people do, stay away from him. He's very crude and venomous...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
beebop: Lol, I'm far from a frequent poster, so I haven't taken notice of this particular i..diot.

Enjoy.

Dundee, I hope you know the feeling is more than mutual. I don't know why you clowns think only your dumb opinions matter and if others don't side with your re.tarded opinions, you have to get mad and start acting like little kids.

Fcukkkk you.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Mogidi: 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2013
@Eko Ile

If in a hole, conventional wisdom demands you stop digging, yes?

3 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:56pm On Jan 27, 2013
dustydee: What were some of you thinking when GEJ promised to build an airport in each state? Are you now against it because it is being built by a state government?

Abi now. That's NL stupidity and silliness for you.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by otokx(m): 11:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
misplaced priority
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 12:03am On Jan 28, 2013
fenando po: my brothers, what kind of airport cost 8 billion naira? thats less thatn 60million dollars? an iternational airport for that matter!! lets be realistic; the sums /figures dot add up. infact i am angry that till now no one was able to figur this out in this forum. whan i heard the asaba airport will cost 40billion naira...l lauphed till i fell. thats small for an international airport!! talkless of 8billio for bauchi. Look at this, the abuja national stadium was built at a princely sum of 300millio dollars. now, thats 45billion naira. so how can some one now build an international airpiort for 8 billion whats the maths behind this? i feel the accountant of bauchi state is a former enron employee!!!

moreover, someone said jos is just a hour drive away. why not use that airprort instead. this is an elephant project, that will benefit not even the rich. now, i have always been against anambra state building an airports, we can use the asaba, enugu or owerri airports. my own 2 cents

It's not about money, its about who is building it. Runway alone takes a major chunk of airport construction money and the airport in bauchi @ 3.4km has a longer runway than most of the airports in Nigeria . Its designed to accept jumbo jets. On top of that, it has 1km/60meters crash road and a fire station.

So, you should be asking the governor in asaba or whatever what he's doing with all that money.

btw. Any airport can be an international airport, its all about having enough runway,radar and tower capacity to handle multiple flights.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by free13: 12:06am On Jan 28, 2013
Mogidi: @Eko Ile

If in a hole, conventional wisdom demands you stop digging, yes?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 12:09am On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

It's not about money, its about who is building it. Runway alone takes a major chunk of airport construction money and the airport in bauchi @ 3.4km has a longer runway than most of the airports in Nigeria . Its designed to accept jumbo jets. On top of that, it has 1km/60meters crash road and a fire station.

So, you should be asking the governor in asaba or whatever what he's doing with all that money.

btw. Any airport can be an international airport, its all about having enough runway,radar and tower capacity to handle multiple flights.

This dude NEVER cease to amaze us.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 12:12am On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

This dude NEVER cease to amaze us.

Irrelevant many4fool. Shut up and sit somewhere if you don't have anything better to contribute.

You can also join the trolls with the silly grins.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 12:14am On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Irrelevant many4fool. Shut up and sit somewhere if you don't have anything better to contribute.

You can also join the trolls with the silly grins.

Again

[size=14pt]This dude NEVER cease to amaze us.[/size]

Here's a GRIN grin grin grin grin for you person...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 12:20am On Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for finally accepting and displaying your trolling ways as suggested. Now I can ignore you like the other trolls.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 12:27am On Jan 28, 2013
Do what you do best, it will NEVER change the fact on how you NEVER cease to amaze us...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 28, 2013
Inflated costs, totally unnecessary project given the level of abject poverty and ignorance that permeates the state.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by fenandopo: 6:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile: [b][b]

[/b

My guy where did u get all these statistics from? Even if the stats are correct, why on earth should they build a jumbo jet accommodating airport I Bauchi? Is it sustainable? Of any economic significance? What airliners will be landing there; are they Chinese, British, France or delta airlines? How many Bauchi residents travel to China? Or India? Or Malaysia for business? Even if the Asaba governor is siphoning money from the 47billion, I still feel like the money is small for an international airport…..have u been to joburg airport/oliver tambo international? 100 billion naira cant get you that airport!!!!

Any airport ca be an international airport? You can have the longest runway in the worlrd, which cant handle a bigger and cumbersome jumbo jet!!!
[b]
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
fenando po: [/b

My guy where did u get all these statistics from? Even if the stats are correct, why on earth should they build a jumbo jet accommodating airport I Bauchi? Is it sustainable? Of any economic significance? What airliners will be landing there; are they Chinese, British, France or delta airlines? How many Bauchi residents travel to China? Or India? Or Malaysia for business? Even if the Asaba governor is siphoning money from the 47billion, I still feel like the money is small for an international airport…..have u been to joburg airport/oliver tambo international? 100 billion naira cant get you that airport!!!!

Any airport ca be an international airport? You can have the longest runway in the worlrd, which cant handle a bigger and cumbersome jumbo jet!!!
[b]

We argue needlessly on NL because people don't do their research and instead talk talk and talk and question's about what's available to them on the internet.

Money doesn't determine what's an international airport.

Going by your argument about money and international airport, the eyesore bellow shouldn't be labelled anything close to international.

Please find a better and sensible argument. Bauchi airport is designed to accept 747 Jumbo jets..

You are free to ask how many Bauchi people do this and that, it's still irrelevant since we both don't know what concessions and agreements they've reached with carriers and operators to utilize this airport.

People flying to china is not the only basic requirement for any airport to succeed, they have their own potentials to generate traffic and money too with their local resources including their game reserve that from 2000 figures attracted 20,000 tourists from over 100 countries so it's easy to boost this number significantly especially with infrastructure like arts and crafts, hotels and restaurants upgrades in and around the reserve areas to infuse tourist money into the local economy.

They have something to tap into and benefit from significantly. They don't have oil, but they have something that a lot of state in Nigeria doesn't have. It's really a shame that for so many years, they neglected and didn't focus on this major asset, but it's never too late.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Some people like arguing for argument sake
Bauchi already has a local airport it cannot maintain but someone thinks an international airport is needed
Read this from 2011

| Print | E-mail
Wednesday, 16 March 2011
IT was nearly death in the afternoon at the Bauchi Airport on Tuesday, March 8. A plane made contact with a herd of goats on the runway as it was taxiing after being landed.The impact was violent enough to kill some of the goats.

THE people aboard the plane were mercifully unharmed. One of them was Mr Fola Adeola, who is running with Mr Nuhu Ribadu on the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) presidential ticket. Mr Ribadu and some other party chiefs were on another plane, which had to be kept in the air for more than half an hour because of the accident.

SPOKESMAN for the Ribadu campaign organisation, Mr Ibrahim Modibbo, said that the goats were deliberately herded onto the runway to cause an accident and stop the campaign in Bauchi, or worse. He called for an investigation into the incident.

MR Modibbo’s allegation was hasty and not very responsible. The Federal Executive Council characterised Mr Modibbo’s allegation as low politics and it was not wrong.

THE Federal Government disputed the claim that the plane made a crash landing. A crash landing is, of course, a more serious accident than a plane hitting some animals on the runway. However, it does not minimise the gravity of the incident, as the government appears to believe, that the plane had already safely landed before its progress was halted by some goats. The issue is that goats walked on the runway, where animals have no right to be, and that there was an avoidable accident.

THE manner of the March 8 accident is not the only thing in dispute about the Bauchi aviation facility. The Federal Government says it is an airstrip, but the Director General of Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Dr Harold Demuren, told a newspaper, “the place is an airport and not an airstrip.”

IT is also not clear who owns the airport. Some say the Bauchi State government while others say it is owned by the Federal Government. The General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, Mr Supo Atobatele, was quoted as saying that the airport was owned by the state government.

THE Operation Manager of the airport, Mr Danjuma Zaka, also said that the airport was owned by the Bauchi State government. He reportedly told a newspaper: “If you visit the airport frequently, you will see Okada (motorcycle taxis) and animals crossing the runway at will.” He said the state government had taken no action to stop the incursion onto the runway.

BUT some members of the House of Representatives said during a debate on the Bauchi Airport accident on Thursday that money was approved for the fencing of the airport in the 2009 and 2010 budgets.They said they were surprised that the airport had not been fenced.

THE Minister of Aviation, Mrs Fidelia Njeze, said contract for the fencing of the airport was awarded before the accident and that the contractor had told her that the job would be completed in two weeks’ time. The Federal Government is not likely to award a contract for the fencing of an airport owned by a state government. Or has the Federal Government taken over the running of the airport?

THE country’s major airports, which are owned by the Federal Government, are only a little better equipped than those owned by state governments or airstrips belonging to companies. Navigational aids are inadequate and in some cases primitive. A special fund was provided to equip the airports to international standards, but two former ministers of aviation are facing trial for allegedly mismanaging the fund.

SECURITY is lax at the airports. On March 31, 2010, a man crashed his car through two gates, which collapsed like decaying wood, at the Margaret Ekpo Airport, Calabar, and rammed it into a plane that was about to take off. There were close to 100 people aboard the plane, which was badly damaged. In 2005, a foreign airliner landed on cows at the Port Harcourt Airport.

[size=18pt]SOME airports and airstrips in the country are only occasionally in use. Politics or the wrong assessment of priorities informed their construction. The airports are a white elephant.[/size]

[size=18pt]A town that is close to a major airport does not need its own airport even if it is a state capital. Only a tiny percentage of Nigerians flies, but hundreds of thousands of people use the roads every day. Most of the roads are in a bad shape and death is busier on them than on a battlefield.[/size]

THE roads should be repaired and the problems of the railway should be honestly tackled. The airports should be made safe and animals must no longer be allowed to take over the runway, as happened at the Bauchi Airport on March 8.

Set as favorite Bookmark Email this
Comments (1)

Mallam Isa Yuguda,Bauchi does not need an international airport,use a fraction of that money and maintain the underutilized airport you already have.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
Same on Bauchi airport/ airstrip

The airplane carrying the vice-presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Mr Fola Adeola, who was in Bauchi for the presidential campaign of the party in the state, hit some sheep which had strayed unto the airstrip’s runway. Several concerns were raised by the authorities, including lack of safety equipment, perimeter fencing, fire fighting equipment, among others, at the airstrip then.

Following the closure of the airstrip, people coming and leaving the state through air transport had to make do with airports in neighbouring Plateau and Gombe States, which costs extra. But in a bid to boost tourism and ease air transportation to and from Bauchi, the Yuguda administration, decided to renovate the closed airstrip. It awarded a contract for the complete overhaul of the airstrip in August 2010, with a 70 per cent down payment given to the contractor to boost speedy completion of the project.

The contractor, however, collected the amount and abandoned work at the airstrip. This forced the state Ministry of Works to promptly take over the renovation job and complete it through direct labour. At the end of the whole exercise, the government had expended N290 million on the renovation of the airstrip with a perimeter fence, fire fighting equipment and raising the height of the control tower.
This was in addition to the overhaul of the 2.5 kilometre runway. The airstrip was inaugurated on February 13.

Tags: Business, Isa Yuguda, Nigeria

They say the international airport will boost tourism
The airstrip is not busy but an airport will be
How many of you have been to Yankari game reserve? I have
And how many people did you see there
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:08pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

International airport in Bauchi
For who and who?
The one in Kano has been reduced to Hajj airport
A state that had 4 students clear 5 credits in WAEC thinks an international airport is their immediate concern?
That this generation may not know how to live in peace does not mean the next generation will not. Your ignorance of what Bauchi has to offer is clearly apparent in your post. The game reserves, mineral resources if properly tapped would bring in so much to that state.

It is no wonder white folks come to Nigeria to lecture us about Nigeria because too many of us busy ourselves with bigotry and. Tribalism instead of learning of the great opportunities each region has to offer and prepare ourselves towards taking due advantage.

I ask you, how much do you. Know about Bauchi? What is her main revenue base? What potential has Bauchi got? Don't tell me nonsense boko haram because even in the heat of the inhumane kidnapping in the East, that has not deterred the sensible governors from investing infrastructure.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
That this generation may not know how to live in peace does not mean the next generation will not. Your ignorance of what Bauchi has to offer is clearly apparent in your post. The game reserves, mineral resources if properly tapped would bring in so much to that state.

It is no wonder white folks come to Nigeria to lecture us about Nigeria because too many of us busy ourselves with bigotry and. Tribalism instead of learning of the great opportunities each region has to offer and prepare ourselves towards taking due advantage.

I ask you, how much do you. Know about Bauchi? What is her main revenue base? What potential has Bauchi got? Don't tell me nonsense boko haram because even in the heat of the inhumane kidnapping in the East, that has not deterred the sensible governors from investing infrastructure.

Somebody wrote up there that there's Only one flight into and out of Bauchi a week,in a lucky week
Is that a place that needs an airport let alone an international one?
Do you build an airport hoping the state will grow into it or do you build one because it is a necessity

Think

2 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^
With Kano, Jos and Gombe having airports, the economic viability of Bauchi's airport is seriously in doubt. If the Bauchi govt is merely upgrading the existing airstrip, that would be a different story altogether.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 9:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

The bold is the keyword.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan: ^^^
With Kano, Jos and Gombe have airports, the economic viability of Bauchi's airport is seriously in doubt. If the Bauchi govt is merely upgrading the existing airstrip, that would be a different story altogether.

Thank you!

NIgeria needs more international airports IMHO but Bauchi is not the location
The equipments will lay waste and rot
It will be overgrown with grass
It will cost more money to maintain than any revenue it could ever bring
There are many things Mr Yuguda could do with those billions
This is not what his people needs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner- Minister / Abdulrazaq Okays N350m For Colleges Of Education, FADAMA / More Than 20 States Experience Inter and Intra State Border Clashes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.