Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,999 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7918 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 9:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
babyosisi:

You will not do what I just described
If Isah Yuguda was building this as a private venture from his money,he wouldn't do that either
He will ncrease the size of his warehouse as his goods increase

No sensible human being should follow what you described. That's for weak and incompetent people with no vision and zeal to survive against all odds.

I wont bet on you as a business man.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 9:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
CFCfan:

Wow! I always thought MMIA was bursting at the seams. This info already puts the viability of the Lekki Airport in doubt, but I like the idea of an airport in Lekki though, for aesthetic/business purposes smiley.
Lekki airport is for business not for political jobbers! Ever business hotspot these days want connectivity to the outside world and mostly an airport is what you find closer by. Yesterday, I flew out to one of France's business hotspot and I found it very convenient that I could fly directly there rather than flying to CDG! Plus it saved me more than 5hours of business time and I could rest and be prepared for my business meeting this morning!

That is what lekki will be offering touch and go people like me who want to get to a place swiftly, do business and out they go again!

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
By your reasoning, I pointed out to you that you don't have to wait for opportunities to present themselves when you can make them happen. That is just what those 'private' folks did and they envisioned how they would change the way humanity lives and whether you like it or not you are doing just that today. Same goes with the state government. If the man at the head has the right vision, he can change the way Bauchi as a state operates by tapping into her potentials rightly and you and I with business interest will begin to see Bauchi as another business heaven!

I already know the outcome of that airport anyway
This one is a no brainer
First of all,it won't be built in the next 10 years and I am being generous
All subsequent governments will set aside Billions for it like the Lagos Benin expressway grin
And after it has consumed 10 times the amount budgeted for it,it will be worse than Kano airport because Bauchi cannot sustain any visits to warrant it's existence
I could bet on this if I were a gambler
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:01pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

I already know the outcome of that airport
First of all,it won't be built in the next 10 years
And after it has consumed 10 times the amount budgeted for it,it will be worse that Kano airport because Bauchi cannot sustain any visits to warrant it's existence
I could bet on this if I were a gambler
When I read comments like these from people like you, I thank God that your type are very few in Nigeria, else our dreams and struggle would be in vain! I, not exempting myself as a Nigerian, we are too quick to condemn anything in Nigeria. We spend no energy understanding the rational behind a thing and with our very limited knowledge we criticise high heaven, yet we in ourselves cannot come up with better alternatives!

I am sure people like you would have bet their lives on Akwa-Ibom airport as at the time it was conceived that it would never materialise, but today, someone has brought it to fruition. Lt be forward thinking and positively expectant of good things not negativity al the time!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
When I read comments like these from people like you, I thank God that your type are very few in Nigeria, else our dreams and struggle would be in vain! I, not exempting myself as a Nigerian, we are too quick to condemn anything in Nigeria. We spend no energy understanding the rational behind a thing and with our very limited knowledge we criticise high heaven, yet we in ourselves cannot come up with better alternatives!

I am sure people like you would have bet their lives on Akwa-Ibom airport as at the time it was conceived that it would never materialise, but today, someone has brought it to fruition. Lt be forward thinking and positively expectant of good things not negativity al the time!

How can you compare Akwa Ibom to Bauchi?
I keep redirecting you
bauchi already has an airport that sustains one flight per week
An airport built over 20 years ago

What is stopping it from averaging 2 flights a week in the last 20 odd years?
You have not answered that question

If you are driving a danfo and can barely fill it up for a trip from Afikpo to Abakaliki in 25 years of danfo business,will you go and buy a luxurious bus?
Isn't this common sense?

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

How ours you ompare Akwa Ibom to Bauchi?
I keep redirecting you
bauchi already has an airport that sustains one flight over week

And this mean they shouldn't build a better airport to support their needs and growth?

What if a better airport with modern facilities is a requirement by carriers and operators for them to fully utilize this airport and what if the state already have concessions and agreement with carries and operators to make it a regional hub?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

I keep redirecting you

If you are driving a danfo and can barely fill it up for a trip from Afikpo to Abakaliki in 29 years of danfo business,will you go and buy a luxurious bus?
Isn't this common sense?
Simple question, who owns that airport you keep referring to?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:11pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

I keep redirecting you

If you are driving a danfo and can barely fill it up for a trip from Afikpo to Abakaliki in 29 years of danfo business,will you go and buy a luxurious bus?
Isn't this common sense?

Their airport is not for danfo in afikpo, it's for tourism and movement of service and goods..
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

And this mean they shouldn't build a better airport to support their needs and growth?

What if a better airport with modern facilities is a requirement by carriers and operators for them to fully utilize this airport and what if the state already have concessions and agreement with carries and operators to make it regional hub?

Even in mathematics you work from the known to the unknown
What if
What if
What if
What if they can increase to daily flights in and out of Bauchi?
So far they have shown that they cannot so why waste money on a useless venture
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Their airport is not for danfo in afikpo, it's for tourism and movement of service and goods..

Where are those tourists now?
And where are those goods and services now?

I was in Yankari in the 80's and I am sure the traffic now is less than
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
If I have to say this a million times, I will. You don't sit brand let opportunities present themselves, you make them happen! First, having a direct connection between your capital and anywhere around the world is a huge boost! Bauchi has so much to offer but like most states in Nigeria, they are yet to be lead by a visionary leader who can harness the potentials of the state

I do not know how we'll you know the UK but you need to see some places that have international airport built and they handle less than 1m flight yearly!

You say direct connection, have you thought of local, regional, or even hub connection, why does it have to be international connection? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

You say Bauchi has more to offer, no doubt that it doesn't, however my point remains, till the offers are worth it, why sink the money into this. Looking on a short term perspective, this is a HUGE liability. Give supposedly three years from now, after building it, are there possibilities that it will yield enough revenues to sustain itself?

To me, international airport isn't necessarily about the size but the operation part of it, that's what makes it different. If you're gonna meet ICAO standards of operations, it cost good money to put certain things in place, and that is fact.

Sorry could not respond, was driving home
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

I keep redirecting you

If you are driving a danfo and can barely fill it up for a trip from Afikpo to Abakaliki in 25 years of danfo business,will you go and buy a luxurious bus?
Isn't this common sense?
Do you know Gombe as small as it may look has 5 flights to Abuja from the capital? Going by your reasoning all along, what has Gombe to offer to warrant 5 flights to Abuja alone and now plans are in full gear to make it daily flight! That should tell you how government make things happen!
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Do you know Gombe as small as it may look has 5 flights to Abuja from the capital? Going by your reasoning all along, what has Gombe to offer to warrant 5 flights to Abuja alone and now plans are in full gear to make it daily flight! That should tell you how government make things happen!

You do know it's one thing to have five flights in a 737 @ 130 people (100%LF) and it's another to have five flights using a Cessna single engine...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

You say direct connection, have you thought of local, regional, or even hub connection, why does it have to be international connection? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

You say Bauchi has more to offer, no doubt that it doesn't, however my point remains, till the offers are worth it, why sink the money into this. Looking on a short term perspective, this is a HUGE liability. Give supposedly three years from now, after building it, are there possibilities that it will yield enough revenues to sustain itself?

To me, international airport isn't necessarily about the size but the operation part of it, that's what makes it different. If you're gonna meet ICAO standards of operations, it cost good money to put certain things in place, and that is fact.

Don't mind Blind arguments
Abeokuta perhaps has more visitors going to see Olumo rock in one week than Yankari gets in a month
There was more tourism going in in Jos with shere hills and wild life park than Yankari at its peak
I visited both places at the same period

I have done more with publicizing Yakari game reserve than Bauchi govt has ever done
I have colleagues going to the safari in Kenya and they always ask if we had one Nigeria
Why is Isah Yuguda not advertising his tourism

A tourist doesn't have to fly straight from Obodo oyibo to Bauchi,he can catch a connecting flight to Bauchi and now that it flies weekly Yuguda should work on getting a daily flight more than anything else
A bigger airport a useless venture for now
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

What makes an airport international is dependent on runway length, aircraft type handling capacity which is impacted by the radar, ILS etc you have to put in place. So if these are part of the current contract, I do not understand how you mean by liability
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

You do know it's one thing to have five flights in a 737 @ 130 people (100%LF) and it's another to have five flights using a Cessna single engine...
Does Arik Air have Cessna as part of her fleet? Do you know that Arik Air operates 5times out of gombe to Abuja? As for Bauchi, do you know what business case has been presented by Arik Air, Aero , etc to the governor showing how many Bauchi citizens fly to other states daily for onward connection to Bauchi via road?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:21pm On Jan 28, 2013
Baby mama:

Don't mind Blind arguments
Abeokuta perhaps has more visitors going to see Olumo rock in one week than Yankari gets in a month
There was more tourism going in in Jos with shere hills and wild life park than Yankari at its peak
I visited both places at the same period

I have done more with publicizing Yakari game reserve than Bauchi govt has ever done
I have colleagues going to the safari in Kenya and they always ask if we had one Nigeria
Why is Isah Yuguda not advertising his tourism

A tourist doesn't have to fly straight from Obodo oyibo to Bauchi,he can catch a connecting flight to Bauchi and now that it flies weekly Yuguda should work on getting a daily flight more than anything else
It takes a visionary and politically sincere leader to turn things around and people like you will start posting pictures all over the Internet hailing the individual.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

You don't know what's worth it or doesn't simply because you are a lay person on NL speaking nothing but a fact-less opinion.

You are not in possession of any economic data or projections about Bauchi State, talk less it's economic outlook for the future. ..but I'll gladly take it back if you are able to show is any economic fact or forecast to back up your comment..

I'll ignore the rest of your pointless and bogus I sabi airport rant..
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
What makes an airport international is dependent on runway length, aircraft type handling capacity which is impacted by the radar, ILS etc you have to put in place. So if these are part of the current contract, I do not understand how you mean by liability

All these are supposedly parts of operational certification and not necessarily size of the airports. What I mean by liability is SIMPLE - if you have an average of 1,000 passenger per week (very minute volume) compared to the cost of operation (direct + indirect cost, fixed cost of operation such as electricity,) etc, all these will definitely outweigh the revenue thus becoming a liability for the govt. The govt will continue to subsidize till it becomes viable. The question remains (WHEN?)
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Does Arik Air have Cessna as part of her fleet? Do you know that Arik Air operates 5times out of gombe to Abuja? As for Bauchi, do you know what business case has been presented by Arik Air, Aero , etc to the governor showing how many Bauchi citizens fly to other states daily for onward connection to Bauchi via road?

My argument is simply on the passenger inflow and outflow based on their equipment. After all it's same Arik that flies Q400 on smaller routes, so my point remains (not necessarily Cessna), but the number of passengers. Rather than say we have 5 flights, (which is good), let's say how many passengers actually utilize it to calculate cost wise.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

You don't know what's worth it or doesn't simply because you are a lay person on NL speaking nothing but a fact-less opinion.

You are not in possession of any economic data or projections about Bauchi State, talk less it's economic outlook for the future. ..but I'll gladly take it back if you are able to show is any economic fact or forecast to back up your comment..

I'll ignore the rest of your pointless and bogus I sabi airport rant..

Apparently, you just need to go hang, if it pains you too much, go and die...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

All these are supposedly parts of operational certification and not necessarily size of the airports. What I mean by liability is SIMPLE - if you have an average of 1,000 passenger per week (very minute volume) compared to the cost of operation (direct + indirect cost, fixed cost of operation such as electricity,) etc, all these will definitely outweigh the revenue thus becoming a liability for the govt. The govt will continue to subsidize till it becomes viable. The question remains (WHEN?)
What people like you fail to understand is no government wakes up to say oh.. I need a new airport, I am going to build one next week! Serious business case is made for such an airport and in most cases, airlines who want to develop routes into those states put pressure on the government to do something! I was amazed when I did a scan of flights from London to Nigeria, I saw agents offering flights direct to Asaba or warri via Lagos connection. Now that got me thinking again.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:30pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
What people like you fail to understand is no government wakes up to say oh.. I need a new airport, I am going to build one next week! Serious business case is made for such an airport and in most cases, airlines who want to develop routes into those states put pressure on the government to do something! I was amazed when I did a scan of flights from London to Nigeria, I saw agents offering flights direct to Asaba or warri via Lagos connection. Now that got me thinking again.

Apparently, you're not seeing my line of arguments. It's people like you and I that have thoughts, (though we may not wake up one morning to decide it), that's absolutely not the point. N7.9billion which is like $40million for an airport is quite enormous.

I have no problem with govt building the airports or simply airlines wanting to penetrate into the market, but using an International airport as an excuse is plainly lame. That's why I said, why can't it be local or regional or whatever? Why should the govt bring out $40million annually for that project? If you amortize that money in 20years, that's $2million per year. Will this airport make more than $2million/yr?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

My argument is simply on the passenger inflow and outflow based on their equipment. After all it's same Arik that flies Q400 on smaller routes, so my point remains (not necessarily Cessna), but the number of passengers. Rather than say we have 5 flights, (which is good), let's say how many passengers actually utilize it to calculate cost wise.
Go figure out, most routes Arik Air flies her Q4000 is not because there are not passengers, mainly down to poor infrastructure within the nigeria airspace and also as a result of terrain and distance. With turbo props, you can fly climb quick, and descend quick within a short space. I flew Bremen in Germany to Amsterdam and then England with KLM and the airplane they used was a hawker from Bremen to Amsterdam and a Turbo from Amsterdam to England. So there are so many operational reasons why Arik Air will deploy a Q4000 on those routes.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

1. This is your opinion and it's not rooted in any fact

2. High passenger volume is never any form of liability since passenger traffic is attached to so many economic and revenue generating factors in airport operations and tax base for the state.

3. With high traffic, the airport make more money, the airlines make more money and the state make way more money from taxes within the airport operations and more money from what people spend within the state from the reserve, to hotels, restaurants, car rental and so on.

It's a win win siutaion.

This is the first time in m life hearing more costumers = LOSS.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Apparently, you're not seeing my line of arguments. It's people like you and I that have thoughts, (though we may not wake up one morning to decide it), that's absolutely not the point. N7.9billion which is like $40million for an airport is quite enormous.

I have no problem with govt building the airports or simply airlines wanting to penetrate into the market, but using an International airport as an excuse is plainly lame. That's why I said, why can't it be local or regional or whatever? Why should the govt bring out $40million annually for that project? If you amortize that money in 20years, that's $2million per year. Will this airport make more than $2million/yr?
It can't be regional because Bauchi is a near border state that can serve as an international feeder to those towns and cities in Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Apparently, you just need to go hang, if it pains you too much, go and die...

Why should I go hang for pointing out your mental errors? It gives me pleasure if you don't know.

Depart thread if you and your flowed posts can not stand scrutiny and grading.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:37pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Go figure out, most routes Arik Air flies her Q4000 is not because there are not passengers, mainly down to poor infrastructure within the nigeria airspace and also as a result of terrain and distance. With turbo props, you can fly climb quick, and descend quick within a short space. I flew Bremen in German to Amsterdam and then England with KLM and their airplane they used was a hawker from Bremen to Amsterdam and a Turbo from Amsterdam to England. So there are so many operational reasons why Arik Air will deploy a Q4000 on those routes.

Bros, let's leave all this english, it makes perfect economic sense to put a turboprop of less than 70seats on a route than put a 737 @ 140 seats achieving same load requirements. This is simple economics at work, then other operational issues follow. You talk about poor infrastructures in Nigeria (though they may exist), but same applies to all aircraft even if you're flying a 747.

It doesn't matter because the Q400 is a fly by wire aircraft and is subject to same airspace that a 737 enters. The Q400 may climb faster or descend faster (I really don't wanna know the rate), but what I do know is operational economics comes no1.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, let's leave all this english, it makes perfect economic sense to put a turboprop of less than 70seats on a route than put a 737 @ 140 seats achieving same load requirements. This is simple economics at work, then other operational issues follow. You talk about poor infrastructures in Nigeria (though they may exist), but same applies to all aircraft even if you're flying a 747.

It doesn't matter because the Q400 is a fly by wire aircraft and is subject to same airspace that a 737 enters. The Q400 may climb faster or descend faster (I really don't wanna know the rate), but what I do know is operational economics comes no1.

lol... This is a sad case of over sabi. What's this rubbish go to do with anything?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
It can't be regional because Bauchi is a near border state that can serve as an international feeder to those towns and cities in Cameroon.

Regardless of it's potential whether regional, local or even international, it does not matter. Why I said that is because regional hubs are LOCAL and are not subject to international laws. What I'm arguing against is it's potential, serving as regional and future upgrade to international is vital due to cost wise.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

lol... This is a sad case of over sabi. What's this rubbish go to do with anything?

EKO, GO AND DIE.... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yes o, I over sabi too much... you don't like it... head over to the mainland bridge ...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Why should I go hang for pointing out your mental errors? It gives me pleasure if you don't know.

Depart thread if you and your flowed posts can not stand scrutiny and grading.

Oh, abeg move aside jor, let important people talk on the thread...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jos Court Rejects Bail To Minors And Injured On Shia Ashura Procession / US Secretary Of State, Rex Tillerson To Visit Nigeria March 6 / Obasanjo Kneels To Greet The Next Governor Of Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.