Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7892 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 27, 2013
Contract for the construction of Bauchi International Airport has been awarded to Messrs Triacta Nigeria Limited at a cost of N7, 998, 595, 433:13K with a completion period of 18 months.

Bauchi state governor, Mallam Isa Yuguda while laying the foundation of the airport acknowledged the importance of air transportation as not only safer but also faster and more comfortable.

According to the governor, the airport when concluded will attract and enhance movement of people and goods, which will thereby boost the economy of the state.

Dignitaries including politicians, traditional rulers, military officers as well as community leaders gathered at Durum village about 15 kilometres to the state capital for the foundation laying ceremony.

Among the dignitaries that grace the occasion is former Minister of Communications, Prof Dora Akunyili.

She expressed her satisfaction on the project claiming that the airport will open up the state to investors as well as tourists.

The project manager of the construction company expressed optimism that the project will be completed as scheduled and measure up to the required standard.

The concept of the Bauchi International Airport dates back to the early 1980’s but could not be constructed due to lack of political will on the part of the leaders until now that the foundation laying ceremony is performed.

The presence of an international airport in the impoverished stated is believed to open up the state with its strategic location as a gateway to the north east sub-region and this is expected to direct bearing on the overall socio economic development of the state and the region.

link: http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/01/26/bauchi-to-spend-n7-9billion-on-airport/
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 1:35am On Jan 27, 2013
Way to go. This is a state government showing leadership and political will to build their own airport from scratch While some beggars on the other side of the Niger are as usual are begging the federal government to refurbish some dirty old warehouse with ribbon and ladder called airport.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile: Way to go. This is a state government showing leadership and political will to build their own airport from scratch While some beggars on the other side of the Niger are as usual are begging the federal government to refurbish some dirty old warehouse with ribbon and ladder called airport.

What a miserable village tout
I bet you must be as as ugly as the bad energy all around you
It shows

4 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 2:05am On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
Nne, biko take it easy o. Let's not turn this thread into an ethnic-bashing one.

With the Boko Haram menace in the North-east, I doubt the viability of this airport in the long-run.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 2:08am On Jan 27, 2013
CFCfan: ^^^
Nne, biko take it easy o. Let's not turn this thread into an ethnic-bashing one.

With the Boko Haram menace in the North-east, I doubt the viability of this airport in the long-run.

International airport in Bauchi
For who and who?
The one in Kano has been reduced to Hajj airport
A state that had 4 students clear 5 credits in WAEC thinks an international airport is their immediate concern?

14 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 2:08am On Jan 27, 2013
These low self esteem and insecure people and their guilty conscience. You don't even have to call their name before they go berserk ....

People with old and dusty village airstrips with ribbon and ladder and chalk board schedule are now hating on Bauchi .....

smh..

3 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 2:11am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile: These low self esteem and insecure people and their guilty conscience. You don't even have to call their name before they go berserk ....

smh..

Low esteem?
You respond on a thread and take a jab at Igbos like a market woman selling crayfish
Where is your esteem?
Do you need NdiIgbo to feel worthy
Are you a complete male?
Why are many of you so effeminate,I have asked that question a lot
Where is your manhood?
No wonder your women chase you out of the homes at will
Grow some balls will ya
Look at this nonentity that couldn't even stand toe to toe with an average Igbo man in real life
I don't blame you
We are online where any riff raff OPC tout with a cellular phone can claim to be whatever

12 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 27, 2013
Moving on: Babyosisi is spot on. This airport may be mainly used for hajj operations/private jets.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 27, 2013
CFCfan: Moving on: Babyosisi is spot on. This airport may be mainly used for hajj operations/private jets.

Hajj airlifts and nothing more
bauchi doesn't need an international airport
The one in Kano is underutilized
Nigerians have a penchant for white elephant projects
I wager it won't even be built before he leaves office
The man has 4 wives
What he has done is siphon some millions to his account
Na today

The concept of the Bauchi International Airport dates back to the early 1980’s but could not be constructed due to lack of political will on the part of the leaders until now that the foundation laying ceremony is performed.

I bet you money is being allocated to it annually grin
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 3:02am On Jan 27, 2013
It's a misplaced priority.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:38am On Jan 27, 2013
babyosisi:

Hajj airlifts and nothing more
bauchi doesn't need an international airport
The one in Kano is underutilized
Nigerians have a penchant for white elephant projects
I wager it won't even be built before he leaves office
The man has 4 wives
What he has done is siphon some millions to his account
Na today

I bet you money is being allocated to it annually grin

^^^If you knew the distance he and other Bauchi big men have to travel when they're leaving or going back to Bauchi, then you'd understand the real reason for the airport. Having to travel all that distance makes him a sitting duck!......he'd be having doubts over the effectiveness of his security in the face of those bloodthirsty, virgin-loving bokites; just ask the poor Emir of kano, as he knows first hand what i'm on about.

3 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 27, 2013
^^^
Exactly what I said. The airport will be used mostly by private jet owners and for hajj.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by nurus: 4:26am On Jan 27, 2013
I call this a misplace of priority.There is airport both in Kano and Jos and jos is about an hour drive to Bauchi.I think he could have used that money to either build infrastructure or as a Soft loan to people of Kano.The problem with Nigerian leader is that we always want to be quoted with the so call big project even when we are nt in the office anymore.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 5:46am On Jan 27, 2013
Not everything is misplaced priority, in fact this is a very smart priority for so many reasons.

1. Creates jobs from construction to final operations

2, Boost the local economy by circulating a good chunk of that money in and around the local economy.

3. Deliver an up to date and modern infrastructure to serve the region

4. Divert traffic and commerce from the old and outdated airports in the surrounding states.

5. Creation of support economies and jobs like flight catering, ticketing agencies, cab service and so on.

Why fly into old airports with outdated facilities when a new airport with modern airport facilities and landing systems is available just a few miles away?

If marketed properly, this is the new regional airport with more than enough strength to take away business and commercial activities away from the
other airports ion the area.

It's a shrewd move and it makes no sense to pull back on development and potential economic gains just because of other entities and considerations.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by lekkie073(m): 6:12am On Jan 27, 2013
boko harm to spend a hundred thousand to level it back

2 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:19am On Jan 27, 2013
lekkie073: boko harm to spend a hundred thousand to level it back

At this very second, all the airports in the North are still standing and unleveled.

Don't kill yourself with doom and gloom.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by lekkie073(m): 6:27am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile:

At this very second, all the airports in the North are still standing and unleveled.

Don't kill yourself with doom and gloom.
@ekoile, musiwa sent u his regards......

6 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:29am On Jan 27, 2013
lekkie073:
@ekoile, musiwa sent u his regards......

Please leave thread if you have nothing better to contribute...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 6:30am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile: Not everything is misplaced priority, in fact this is a very smart priority for so many reasons.

2, Boost the local economy by circulating a good chunk of that money in and around the local economy.

4. Divert traffic and commerce from the old and outdated airports in the surrounding states.

5. Creation of support economies and jobs like flight catering, ticketing agencies, cab service and so on.

Why fly into old airports with outdated facilities when a new airport with modern airport facilities and landing systems is available just a few miles away?

If marketed properly, this is the new regional airport with more than enough strength to take away business and commercial activities away from the

It's a shrewd move and it makes no sense to pull back on development and potential economic gains just because of other entities and considerations.

It's beyond what you have itemized above. Airport is good but pointless if there is no "economic base" to match the investment. There is airport in Akure which is more or less useless or becomes useful in case of emergency landing for flights in trouble. How many people are using the airport in Ibadan? and the one in Benin? The airport in Asaba is targeted at Onitsha and Aba which are the epicentres of economic activity in SE.

Now, there are airports in Kano, Jos, Kaduna, Maiduguri and Yola which are the capital cities around Bauchi. You won't fly to Bauchi and then drive to Kano because there is an ultramodern airport in Bauchi. As long as safety is not an issue, you ll fly straight to those surrounding cities. So how many people are in Bauchi itself that can afford flying apart from corrupt politicians? What's driving people to the area-oil business, factories/industries, markets? Nothing!

The governor should spend that money on agriculture. Let him work on Tomatoes. Yes, Tomatoes. Cultivate a large farm (mechanized preferably), invest in storage facilities and then build a factory to make paste. That ll be more of help in areas of job creation, developing local economy than an airport.

11 Likes

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by hercules07: 6:32am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile: Not everything is misplaced priority, in fact this is a very smart priority for so many reasons.

Some very good points, but, do you not think that yuguda is using this to fleece his people? A state like Lagos might be sincere but yuguda?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:53am On Jan 27, 2013
hercules07:

Some very good points, but, do you not think that yuguda is using this to fleece his people? A state like Lagos might be sincere but yuguda?

He might be fleecing his people, but I'm giving him a pass simply because this is a high profile and very public project that's really not too easy for monkey with. Besides, work is currently going on and the 3.4km long and 1km wide runway is almost done.There's also a targeted completion date of 18 months.

This looks pretty much straight forward.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 6:56am On Jan 27, 2013
Prof Corruption:

It's beyond what you have itemized above. Airport is good but pointless if there is no "economic base" to match the investment. There is airport in Akure which is more or less useless or becomes useful in case of emergency landing for flights in trouble. How many people are using the airport in Ibadan? and the one in Benin? The airport in Asaba is targeted at Onitsha and Aba which are the epicentres of economic activity in SE.

Now, there are airports in Kano, Jos, Kaduna, Maiduguri and Yola which are the capital cities around Bauchi. You won't fly to Bauchi and then drive to Kano because there is an ultramodern airport in Bauchi. As long as safety is not an issue, you ll fly straight to those surrounding cities. So how many people are in Bauchi itself that can afford flying apart from corrupt politicians? What's driving people to the area-oil business, factories/industries, markets? Nothing!

The governor should spend that money on agriculture. Let him work on Tomatoes. Yes, Tomatoes. Cultivate a large farm (mechanized preferably), invest in storage facilities and then build a factory to make paste. That ll be more of help in areas of job creation, developing local economy than an airport.

I truly see what you are saying and I agree with you to some extent, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because I see a lot of local and regional potentials here.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by lekkie073(m): 6:59am On Jan 27, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please leave thread if you have nothing better to contribute...
what's there to contribute to a rubbish thread? Bauchi airport? who dey go there? close this thread because it senseless
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 9:59am On Jan 27, 2013
Yankari game reserve is in Buachi,and people 4m other countries are going there all d time,so an airport is a very good idia.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Afam4eva(m): 11:19am On Jan 27, 2013
A state where majority of it's people are poor is building an international airport. Talk about misplaced priority.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by HAH: 11:23am On Jan 27, 2013
The truth is that this is a misplaced priority because bauchi does not need an airport, the town is an hour form both Gombe and Jos which they can use.

I believe those in Ajah axis spend more than an hour to reach MMA or those in Mararaba to NAA in abuja
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by taharqa: 11:28am On Jan 27, 2013
babyosisi:

Low esteem?
You respond on a thread and take a jab at Igbos like a market woman selling crayfish
Where is your esteem?
Do you need NdiIgbo to feel worthy
Are you a complete male?
Why are many of you so effeminate,I have asked that question a lot
Where is your manhood?
No wonder your women chase you out of the homes at will
Grow some balls will ya
Look at this nonentity that couldn't even stand toe to toe with an average Igbo man in real life
I don't blame you
We are online where any riff raff OPC tout with a cellular phone can claim to be whatever
Chai!!! This babe has murdered somebody. Completely... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by mansmith(m): 11:35am On Jan 27, 2013
bloody waste of money that would have been used to send those under aged baggers in the state to school
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by ITbomb(m): 11:35am On Jan 27, 2013
babyosisi:

International airport in Bauchi
For who and who?
The one in Kano has been reduced to Hajj airport
A state that had 4 students clear 5 credits in WAEC thinks an international airport is their immediate concern?
And zero cutoff mark for Common Entrance
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 27, 2013
For N8billion Naira I bet they could build 100 world class 5-story medium income housing estates and 20 Western standard high schools. The Airport is the least of their problems.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by Reference(m): 11:38am On Jan 27, 2013
There is nothing wrong in an airport itself but it is certainly not my idea of development. What Bauchi and Nigeria needs is investment in either commercial or social infrastructure (the former, a better starting point).

Invest first in what people badly need and will pay good money for - rail, power, etc. Then use the proceeds to invest in social infrastructure - things people need but are unwilling or unable to pay for - health, education.

Am afraid, an airport for Bauchi is not a mass market investment, it will hardly be able to generate funds to sustain itself and so over time will become a money pit until the Feds come in. If he badly wants to fly from home a simple airfield for light aircraft will do. Then he lets the thing grow and develop organically.

If I were him what I would do with 7 billion is to sit around a table with guv's forum and the Feds and propose a revival of the rail system to evac. my farmer's products and my solid minerals cheaply by creating a spur off the northern line to my state.

The development that positively impacts the majority of people is first and biggest priority.

1 Like

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by billante(m): 11:41am On Jan 27, 2013
Every state in nigeria needs an airport! I hav always been saying this...those calling it a misplaced piority should shut up.

Airport if planned well with business around it is a major economic driver....you either choose tourism, aircraft maintenance, agriculture, oil nd gas, commerce etc in planning and building an airport....there is nothing like a dormant airport.

Far less economic and populous Countries have more airports than nigeria...

For example Anambra airport is planned on being an aviation fuel hub airport connected directly to d aguleri refinery...even with d nearby asaba airport it will still be a viable airport! Cause it will be known to hav regular and cheap aviation fuel and it will make it a busy airport.

That's how to to plan and build airports.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Vigilante Group Nabs 19 Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno. / Nigerian Army Arrests Generals,senior Officers For Letting Boko Haram Take Baga / 7 Months Later; Is Nigeria Getting Worse Or Better Under Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.