Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,546 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport (7920 Views)

3 Men Ride From Bauchi To Sokoto To Honour Governor-elect / Bauchi To Begin Work On 120MW Yankari Power Plant / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, let's leave all this english, it makes perfect economic sense to put a turboprop of less than 70seats on a route than put a 737 @ 140 seats achieving same load requirements. This is simple economics at work, then other operational issues follow. You talk about poor infrastructures in Nigeria (though they may exist), but same applies to all aircraft even if you're flying a 747.

It doesn't matter because the Q400 is a fly by wire aircraft and is subject to same airspace that a 737 enters. The Q400 may climb faster or descend faster (I really don't wanna know the rate), but what I do know is operational economics comes no1.
I understand you will make such a comment because like I suspect, you may have little or no knowledge of what operational flight control really is! I once flew from Heathrow to Benin City with Arik Air, they had hundreds of passengers at Lagos GAT waiting to fly to Benin, but they to my surprise I saw them put out a Q4000. When I Enquires, I found out the B737 the initially scheduled for that flight has been reroute e by flight ops to do a three leg round trip which will make them more money than flying a full B737 to Benin and back. I won't say much but just leave it as that, there much to flight ops that determines what aircraft flies where.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
@OMO_TIER,

Let's just agree to disagree...

Hopefully the airport will come online soon enough, I'll be more than interested to see how far it goes...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Regardless of it's potential whether regional, local or even international, it does not matter. Why I said that is because regional hubs are LOCAL and are not subject to international laws. What I'm arguing against is it's potential, serving as regional and future upgrade to international is vital due to cost wise.
Point of correction with all due respect, no Airport is subject to any international laws, rather every airport authority is expected to domesticate what ever has been agreed within the ICAO. As for the potential, it all depends what Bauchi does with Her economy and how she wants to operate it.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I understand you will make such a comment because like I suspect, you may have little or no knowledge of what operational flight control really is! I once flew from Heathrow to Benin City with Arik Air, they had hundreds of passengers at Lagos GAT waiting to fly to Benin, but they to my surprise I saw them put out a Q4000. When I Enquires, I found out the B737 the initially scheduled for that flight has been reroute e by flight ops to do a three leg round trip which will make them more money than flying a full B737 to Benin and back. I won't say much but just leave it as that, there much to flight ops that determines what aircraft flies where.

Bros, I took some important part of flight operations at Embry Riddle Aeronautical, I'm not an expert because I chose something else, but let's make one point clear, I have an idea of what you're saying.

Exactly. You're saying exactly what I'm saying - operational economics... AKA Economics of Air transportation, ECON 426 if I'm correct.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Point of correction with all due respect, no Airport is subject to any international laws, rather every airport authority is expected to domesticate what ever has been agreed within the ICAO. As for the potential, it all depends what Bauchi does with Her economy and how she wants to operate it.

Bros, if you say so, I'm not even gonna argue that.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life: @OMO_TIER,

Let's just agree to disagree...

Hopefully the airport will come online soon enough, I'll be more than interested to see how far it goes...
If we go by the same line of argument, you might as well ask, what business does Benin have that made FG to cite an airport there? Knowing how close it is to Lagos. Yet that Airport in the period I functioned with Okada air was a delight for many travellers.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Oh, abeg move aside jor, ..

Why do that? Like I said, pointing out your mental flows gives me pleasure and I'll stay here to do and keep doing that. You on the other hand can slit your wrist since it's killing you.

You might want to shut your mouth to because it's very obvious you are very clueless, you don't know anything.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, I took some important part of flight operations at Embry Riddle Aeronautical,

lmao.....Embry OLODO Aeronautical,
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
If we go by the same line of argument, you might as well ask, what business does Benin have that made FG to cite an airport there? Knowing how close it is to Lagos. Yet that Airport in the period I functioned with Okada air was a delight for many travellers.

Same reason why the govt is constantly funding all the airports at the expense of taxpayers. Let the govt step aside for a year or two, and let this respective airports function by themselves, let us see if they remain the delight of travelers.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, if you say so, I'm not even gonna argue that.
I understand your view point, but my personal opinion is sometimes, it is very difficult to see any potential in a child, yet 15years down the line, some parents begin to eat their words. Same goes with many states today in Nigeria.

We just need to get the right people in the right places and those potentials will become obvious to us all.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

lmao..... Embry OLODO Aeronautical,

BLOOD PRESSURE IS REAL O, haha...lol, don't die o... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Basically...........
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

lmao.....Embry OLODO Aeronautical,
With all due respect, I think we can have a discuss without insulting each other. That someone disagree with you does not mean we have to result to insult. Make your valid point and let the person see reasons to believe your view point.

That someone has a contrary opinion is in itself not a deadly sin that warrant insults. Just discuss, learn and move on. Can I also add that we all learn from each other even as we discuss.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I understand your view point, but my personal opinion is sometimes, it is very difficult to see any potential in a child, yet 15years down the line, some parents begin to eat their words. Same goes with many states today in Nigeria.

We just need to get the right people in the right places and those potentials will become obvious to us all.

Look man, the reason why I said I wouldn't argue on that part is because I know industry consultants here who have said (with facts) contrary to what you have said, but hey, I left that argument be because it's not worth it.

Dude, no matter how we flog this issue, one thing is clear, just like parents spend their money to train their kids till adulthood, same applies. The govt WILL CONTINUE to subsidize this airport till it's viable. Question remain, is the subsidy really important for a state like Bauchi?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 10:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Basically...........

That's his opinion, not mine. After all, he was saying exactly same thing I was saying on a different term...OPERATIONAL ECONOMICS.... grin grin grin grin

Basic flight ops is a simple course and FAA certified which doesn't require engineering math.

HAHA, dude, I have told you a million times, roads that I have crossed, you can't cross them

Like I told you, BLOOD PRESSURE IS REAL...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 10:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
With all due respect, I think we can have a discuss without insulting each other.
That someone disagree with you does not mean we have to result to insult. Make your valid point and let the person see reasons to believe your view point.

That someone has a contrary opinion is in itself not a deadly sin that warrant insults. Just discuss, learn and move on. Can I also add that we all learn from each other even as we discuss.

This I say all the time, but that character understands nothing of such.

He crossed the line in the post and quote below and many more after which you obviously missed...

manny4life:

Apparently, you just need to go hang, if it pains you too much, go and die...

Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 10:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

Look man, the reason why I said I wouldn't argue on that part is because I know industry consultants here who have said (with facts) contrary to what you have said, but hey, I left that argument be because it's not worth it.

Dude, no matter how we flog this issue, one thing is clear, just like parents spend their money to train their kids till adulthood, same applies. The govt WILL CONTINUE to subsidize this airport till it's viable. Question remain, is the subsidy really important for a state like Bauchi?
If only you knew that virtually all major airports around the world are subsidised by the state because of spiral effect. Do you know as busy as Heathrow is, it is the government subsidy that enables IAG group to come anywhere close to making a profit there? Subsidy in itself is not a bad idea if it is well utilise for the intended purpose, I.e. to stimulate until stability is arrived at.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 11:01pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

That's his opinion, not mine. After all, he was saying exactly same thing I was saying on a different term...OPERATIONAL ECONOMICS.... grin grin grin grin

Basic flight ops is a simple course and FAA certified which doesn't require engineering math.

HAHA, dude, I have told you a million times, roads that I have crossed, you can't cross them

Like I told you, BLOOD PRESSURE IS REAL...

Please face the topic and stop polluting the thread with your rubbish...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
If only you knew that virtually all major airports around the world are subsidised by the state because of spiral effect. Do you know as busy as Heathrow is, it is the government subsidy that enables IAG group to come anywhere close to making a profit there? Subsidy in itself is not a bad idea if it is well utilise for the intended purpose, I.e. to stimulate until stability is arrived at.

I don't know about international airports being subsidized, but I do know about airlines being subsidized. Subsidy in itself isn't bad, but my question remains, for a state like Bauchi, with good poverty, and poor infrastructure and what have you, is it wise that the govt is "continuously funding" the airport? The U.K. Government has taken it upon itself to subsidize LHR because of it's status on the international level, perhaps they got the money. Does Bauchi have the money?

Remember I once asked you, if you amortize $40million for 20 years, that's $2million annually, (assuming this is a debt), will the govt continue to pay this debt or do u think Bauchi will start making $2million annually to repay?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:04pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Please face the topic and stop polluting the thread with your rubbish...

Blood pressure is real o, you have been warned...lol
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
@Omo,

I want us to leave hypothesis and focus on some more reality,

I really wanna know your thoughts on this

If you amortize $40million for 20 years, that's $2million annually, (assuming this is a debt without interest etc), will the govt continue to pay this debt or do u think Bauchi airport will start making $2million annually to repay?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
Please reply, even the dead man Eko, if you have the intellectual capacity to understand what I'm saying, the floor is open to you...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life:

I don't know about international airports being subsidized, but I do know about airlines being subsidized. Subsidy in itself isn't bad, but my question remains, for a state like Bauchi, with good poverty, and poor infrastructure and what have you, is it wise that the govt is "continuously funding" the airport? The U.K. Government has taken it upon itself to subsidize LHR because of it's status on the international level, perhaps they got the money. Does Bauchi have the money?

Remember I once asked you, if you amortize $40million for 20 years, that's $2million annually, (assuming this is a debt), will the govt continue to pay this debt or do u think Bauchi will start making $2million annually to repay?
To begin, $40m is even too small an amount to build an airport runway, but it is a good start. While I am not completely against your line of thinking, I do feel bait uncomfortable with that idea that only states with billions from oil or some other sources should build one. I think for the size of Nigeria, to think that we only have 22 airports is something of great concern. If you recall during the boom of 2005 to 2008, the middle class Nigeria began flying again and most of the airliners could not meet their needs.

As the economy picks up, there would be a need for greater connectivity between cities and towns for business and administration, and places like Bauchi that already invested in infrastructure will be one step ahead of others in the game of pulling people to your local economy.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by liquid7: 11:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Actually i have to agree with those saying a new airport is misplaced priority
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 11:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
"The strategic location of Bauchi State as a gateway to the North-east sub-region and also being a home to the West African premier Game Reserve, the Yankari Game Reserve, makes the construction of an international airport imperative," Yuguda stressed.

He said an efficient and effective transport system is needed to facilitate the movement of the people and goods within the state.

"It's in realization of the direct bearing transportation has on the overall socio-economic development of the state that our government has since inception embarked on the construction of roads in different parts of the state," he noted.

He expressed hope that with an international airport in place, the state can attract more visitors, both local and foreign, as well ass more tourists to the Yankari Game Reserve, declaring that, "this will go a long way in boosting the economy of the state."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201301270089.html

One thing I respect is vision and persistent ...
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 11:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
liquid7: Actually i have to agree with those saying a new airport is misplaced priority

In your opinion it is, but in my opinion and Bauchi's opinion, it is not.

Any drive and attempt to develop and stimulate economy is never a bad priority, it's always the right and very well placed priority..
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life: @Omo,

I want us to leave hypothesis and focus on some more reality,

I really wanna know your thoughts on this

If you amortize $40million for 20 years, that's $2million annually, (assuming this is a debt without interest etc), will the govt continue to pay this debt or do u think Bauchi airport will start making $2million annually to repay?
This line of thought when it comes to infrastructure is really not the best of ideas. Come to think of it, why would FG be spending 221bn Naira on 8-lanes in Abuja when the population of Abuja as of today can be served rightly by four lanes? But FG have done a projection of what it would require to build hat lane in 10years when it will really be needed and doing it now, and the difference means do it now will save in the long run. I can see the same line of argument with the Airport.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
To begin, $40m is even too small an amount to build an airport runway, but it is a good start. While I am not completely against your line of thinking, I do feel bait uncomfortable with that idea that only states with billions from oil or some other sources should build one. I think for the size of Nigeria, to think that we only have 22 airports is something of great concern. If you recall during the boom of 2005 to 2008, the middle class Nigeria began flying again and most of the airliners could not meet their needs.

As the economy picks up, there would be a need for greater connectivity between cities and towns for business and administration, and places like Bauchi that already invested in infrastructure will be one step ahead of others in the game of pulling people to your local economy.

I don't know what class of runway you wanna build, but ok

I NEVER argued that it's ONLY states with oil should build one, I've always argued on viability and sustainability.

Right now, all you have said is true, but mere theory... let's forget about the theories and focus on actuality

Per my question, I really wanna know what your thoughts are - do you honestly believe that Bauchi can make enough to cover its expense?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by OmoTier1(m): 11:19pm On Jan 28, 2013
liquid7: Actually i have to agree with those saying a new airport is misplaced priority
You know in Nigeria we are quite good in tel others how bad they are but never good at helping know what they need to do to become good in themselves. The reason is not far fetch - we ourselves have nothing better to give.

Tell us why the airport is such a bad idea and not just agreeing with others.
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
This line of thought when it comes to infrastructure is really not the best of ideas. Come to think of it, why would FG be spending 221bn Naira on 8-lanes in Abuja when the population of Abuja as of today can be served rightly by four lanes? But FG have done a projection of what it would require to build hat lane in 10years when it will really be needed and doing it now, and the difference means do it now will save in the long run. I can see the same line of argument with the Airport.

An 8-lane projection is simply based on the "right now" demand and potential future, there are more cars and besides, the govt isn't doing this to achieve any revenue from it but rather an infrastructural development. I bet if you billed everyone who traveled on that road, it will definitely pay for itself on the first day.

You're not suggesting that an airport in Bauchi is a needed infrastructure, are you?
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by EkoIle1: 11:22pm On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life: Please reply, even the dead man Eko, if you have the intellectual capacity to understand what I'm saying, the floor is open to you...

Why should I pay attention to your bogus rants about airplanes and crap that has nothing to do with the topic?

I'll keep highlighting your flaws here and there, but you and the other poster can keep on with the redundant blah blah..
Re: Bauchi To Spend N7.9billion On Airport by manny4life(m): 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
Eko Ile:

Why should I pay attention to your bogus rants about airplanes and crap that has nothing to do with the topic?

I'll keep highlighting your flaws here and there, but you and the other poster can keep on with the redundant blah blah..

It's time for a nap, go to sleep man... let reasonable intelligent folks converse...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abubakar Badaru: N1.57 Trillion Budget Not Enough To Fight Insecurity / Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc / Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner- Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.