Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Being A Nigerian Housewife - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Nigerian Housewife (24529 Views)

Housewife Snatched By LG Boss Dies Mysteriously After Childbirth (pic) / Housewife Dies Rescuing Electrocuted Mate / Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 5:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
Morayo747:

Lady I put this to you that there's no age where a woman cannot continue her career. Case is study : My wife is 26 at the moment By the time she's done with having kids she's at most 30 meaning the very last of the children will be okay to look after his/herself(with the help of his/her older siblings) by the time he/she's 10. Is 40yrs old too late to start or continue a career?? I'm just not going to let my young kids be left on their own or with strangers just so I can have a bit of extra money especially when its not like I'm poor or struggling. We are not rich but we are not poor either. I like it that way. Like someone said earlier I don't mind gving up few luxuries for this.

Having said that each to his/her own and what works for me may not work for others. But I'm not telling anyone to give up entirely on their career. Just hold off a bit. And I don't think staying at home is being lazy as well. I wouldn't switch places with a fulltime mum any day. Please give them credit too its a damn hard job!!

Don't mind them, if it is not their way, it has to be derided. #Typical
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:
Nowhere in Dayo's post did he say he wants women to work 5-11. But please don't let the facts get in the way of your demented ranting. Carry on.

oh lord - someone is really hurting o!
does it pinch your intestines that i found about your abysmal parenting skills? don't take it too hard upon yourself - this is why we have forums as such as this one so we can learn!

as per dayo, his mini-drama illustrated a nerve-wrecking traffic! in case you have lost touch with reality in lagos, most people working on the island don't get back till late in the night(11pm n above).

fellis:
You really truly do not see any problem in your plan. Tsk tsk tsk.
Your daughter might want to go for masters and phd and this will shift that your age range up by about 3years.

so?
even if she finishes school at 25 - is it not my money that has trained her to be in school? my responsibility as a father is to give my daughter options. she's free to take any of the options on her tab. how does this equate the drivel you spewed up there that my type won't train their daughters in school cos they expect the daughters to be a full housewife. i am not sure you have eaten today!

Her fiance might want to get married right away after she graduates and this means that she will have to let go of the love of her life and work till age thirty something because daddy commanded her to do so.

yet more heap of asinine comments....
how my daughter n her fiancé decide to plan their marriage is entirely up to them na. my mission has been accomplished once she graduates n cops a job! throughout her adolescent years, i would make her aware of the realities in the world today - she's going to marry someone who fits that bill and not the other way round like you are shamelessly claiming.

And how many men these days do you see that are willing to marry a woman in her thirties? Majority of men want young girls in their early and mid twenties, not matured women that are approaching menopause.

so all the women near 30 in naija are leftovers? no wonder there are many of you frustrated lots out here today. sorry to stab your bubble, my daughter would not be staying where 30 yr-old women are considered damaged goods!

The kids get exposure and sharpen their social skills. Staying with strangers does not always translate to abuse and bad upbringing.

when you have your own children, put them out there to get exposure and social skills - some of us place more value on children than handing them out like domestic pets!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
dayokanu:

In Nigeria How many men are WEALTHY enough in your definition? Probably less than 5%

So that means less than 5% of men can afford housewives

The operative word in my prior post is If. If my husband was part of the 5%, I'd stay at home honestly. cool If I intend to work, it would be from home. To hell with what the world thinks grin. If he isn't part of the 5%, then back to work baby. You think if I had some trust fund somewhere I'd be slugging myself at a job right now. Absolutely not! grin This isn't about kids bla bla, stress is just not good for moi cheesy. I won't even pretend I'm a flying superwoman.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

oh lord - someone is really hurting o!
does it pinch your intestines that i found about your abysmal parenting skills? don't take it too hard upon yourself - this is why we have forums as such as this one so we can learn!

Sorry dear, I only get pinched by facts not unfounded drivel pulled right out of one's rear end. When you have some real substance to share, you can give it another shot.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
dayokanu:

Yes your daughter who copped a loan of $100k to be a Neurosurgeon, Lawyer, Engineer, Pharmacist etc, schooled for 10yrs should be a Housewife cooking, cleaning and washing clothes
I swear, I would curse her... Just joking but I will be disappointed!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by swtdarling(f): 5:30pm On Jan 30, 2013
u guys get power o.all in all,it doesnt make sense for a woman to take up a job that makes her come home very late at night.and a woman shouldn't be a complete house wife.she should take up a job wud still make her have time for her kids.its dt simple.cos the economic situation isnt like those days..even rich pple some tyms bcome broke.no need for long story.both argument are kind of extreme. this is the only balance i feel is realistic
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Jan 30, 2013
stillwater:

The operative word in my prior post is If. If my husband was part of the 5%, I'd stay at home honestly. cool If I intend to work, it would be from home. To hell with what the world thinks grin. If he isn't part of the 5%, then back to work baby. You think if I had some trust fund somewhere I'd be slugging myself at a job right now. Absolutely not! grin This isn't about kids bla bla, stress is just not good for moi cheesy. I won't even pretend I'm a flying superwoman.

I agree. Its like saying If my dad is the Sultan of brunel i would never need to work.

But when discussing Nigerian households we have to consider how many people can afford that top 5% lifestyle
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 5:31pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:
Sorry dear, I only get pinched by facts not unfounded drivel pulled right out of one's rear end. When you have some real substance to share, you can give it another shot.

hahahahaha - you have been mullered!
naturally, i don't expect you to admit that publicly but i am expecting a private message from you telling me i am right in the next couple of days.

i don't just talk without substance - coogar itself is substance so get your facts right and drop the mgbeke parental skills you learnt from ibadan before someone calls child protection service gendarmes to toss your crusty arsë in a cold cell.

the only mitigating factor i can concede in your case is the fact that the american culture tend to look down on stayathome mums. so forgive my superior intellect on this subject cos i stay in a continent where stayathome mums are worshipped/respected as the society recognises their courage and selflessness!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 5:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
maclatunji:

My dear embrace your femininity, don't run away from it. Nothing outside the love of God can beat a mother's love for her children. That implies some degree of sacrifice.

It is not by gra-gra, it is with wisdom, perseverance and the Grace of God that you will get there.

I fear for the thoughts that run through the heads of young ladies of these days. Very little patience.
so that I want to be a fulfilled woman means I am not embracing my femininity? And I guess that father's love is not strong?
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

hahahahaha - you have been mullered!
naturally, i don't expect you to admit that publicly but i am expecting a private message from you telling me i am right in the next couple of days.

i don't just talk without substance - coogar itself is substance so get your facts right and drop the mgbeke parental skills you learnt from ibadan before someone calls child protection service gendarmes to toss your crusty arsë in a cold cell.

the only mitigating factor i can concede in your case is the fact that the american culture tend to look down on stayathome mums. so forgive my superior intellect on this subject cos i stay in a continent where stayathome mums are worshipped/respected as the society recognises their courage and selflessness!

Lol! You're lucky I'm posting from a phone so I can't expose all your lies and flip flops (unfortunately for all of us who have had to endure them, they are multitude and spread over many pages) but keep your crap show on and I promise to do just that the minute I have time at my computer. In what world does a superior nuisance value equate to superior intelligence?
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
maclatunji:

Don't mind them, if it is not their way, it has to be derided. #Typical
You are also doing the same thing.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
stillwater:

Woman after my heart! wink
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:
Lol! You're lucky I'm posting from a phone so I can't expose all your lies and flip flops (unfortunately for all of us who have had to endure them, they are multitude and spread over many pages) but keep your crap show on and I promise to do just that the minute I have time at my computer. In what world does a superior nuisance value equate to superior intelligence?

all of a sudden, ileobatojo's computer is not available. never mind, the high powered intelligence quotient is strong enough to destroy your hard-drive. half the cube root of my IQ is forever behind you. patiently waiting for your barrel of lies again this evening. crack on........
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

all of a sudden, ileobatojo's computer is not available. never mind, the high powered intelligence quotient is strong enough to destroy your hard-drive. half the cube root of my IQ is forever behind you. patiently waiting for your barrel of lies again this evening. crack on........

Don't worry I won't keep you waiting forever like I'm still waiting on your sources for your 30hrs nonsense and your novel, pulled right out of your arse, definition of a stay at home mom.

I'll surely be there. Just don't chicken out!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:

Don't worry I won't keep you waiting forever like I'm still waiting on your sources for your 30hrs nonsense and your novel, pulled right out of your arse, definition of a stay at home mom.

Do you women know eachother?? Sheath the swords please,..
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:

quaking in my boots!
it's the awakening of the witchdoctor. madam gandalf herself with her white beard hot enough to burn satan! mama alternative to biology and midwifery. i hail o! grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by maclatunji: 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
bukatyne: You are also doing the same thing.

On the contrary, just pointing out the contradictions in your thought process to you.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
*******drives wheel barrow over thread angry*********

Y'all still here arguing back and forth!

Lets see who gets tired first grin

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 6:41pm On Jan 30, 2013
maclatunji:

On the contrary, just pointing out the contradictions in your thought process to you.
what contradictions? Every man to his own. Some are gifted to be HW, some are not. I imagine after all the sacrifices my mom made for me in school, I ll tell her I want to me HW. After all the denial of the good things of life, I ll say I want to stay at home. I remember her telling us to endure because we ll make it. Encouraging us with great people from diff works of life. Tell us that hardwork guarantees success. After all these, I ll say my kids need me bla bla. How did she meet my needs with her job? Sorry, I don't have d gift of housewifery. I try to be the best wife, mother and career I can be by God's grace. I wonder how many women who struggled to train themselves in uni are actually HWs.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 30, 2013
bukatyne: what contradictions? Every man to his own. Some are gifted to be HW, some are not. I imagine after all the sacrifices my mom made for me in school, I ll tell her I want to me HW. After all the denial of the good things of life, I ll say I want to stay at home. I remember her telling us to endure because we ll make it. Encouraging us with great people from diff works of life. Tell us that hardwork guarantees success. After all these, I ll say my kids need me bla bla. How did she meet my needs with her job? Sorry, I don't have d gift of housewifery. I try to be the best wife, mother and career I can be by God's grace. I wonder how many women who struggled to train themselves in uni are actually HWs.

You just can't stop putting your foot in it. I saw myself through my first and second degrees and I am now a stay at home mother.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by bukatyne(f): 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
naijababe:

You just can't stop putting your foot in it. I saw myself through my first and second degrees and I am now a stay at home mother.
madam please stop following me round. Make your choice and be comfortable with it. I said I wonder how many... So because you trained yourself thru school n stayed at home means every HW trained herself? Don't you understand my statement? Did I put a percentage? Mbok, let me be. Thanks in advance!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
bukatyne: madam please stop following me round. Make your choice and be comfortable with it. I said I wonder how many... So because you trained yourself thru school n stayed at home means every HW trained herself? Don't you understand my statement? Did I put a percentage? Mbok, let me be. Thanks in advance!

You didn't put a percentage?! Is that supposed to be some sort of cop out?! Stop making sweeping/parochial statements all over the place jare.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
ifyalways: Unserious thread meant for entertainment purpose only cheesy
OP and nearly all the contributors are Internet Nigerians. it's all theorys,hearsay and a figment of their imaginations.

The only housewives,full time housewives in Naija are found in VGC,Chevron,Lekki and Ikoyi.They are either trophy wives or educated babes married to Politicians or super rich biz men.They don't need no work and they don't spend their time cleaning,cooking or babysitting either.They have nannies,cooks and helps,they live for shopping,partying and clubbing.

I don't see how they make better moms than their counterparts selling fish at Obalende mkt 6 to 6 each day.

^^^ I beg to differ Ify... maybe the ones you know sha... Nigerian wives with all those your listed ' luxury' are NOT ALL lazy bottoms like you painted it ( to each his owns )..... I partly agree with your last paragraph tho

This your belief bout only rich people do housewifery is very overrated undecided e get as e be
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 30, 2013
onimine: In response 2 ngozievergreen: U can cook stew, soup, beans , jollof rice etc dat can take d home 4 say 2wks on a sat. Go to d market once a month 2 buy foodstuffs and provisions etc. U can wash clothes 3 times a wk with washing machine. Everything thing boils down 2 ur mindset and proper planning. Its not easy but I wuld feel I wasted my energy makin gud grades in school

I cant start telling u how grateful i am for dis post. But wat abt other aspects of home mgt like cleaning. D cooking aspect has been taken care of, and d washing sounds like wat dey do in affluent homes, lolz.
Hw abt cleaning d house when d kids are stl small, bathing dem?
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
Vikin: *******drives wheel barrow over thread angry*********

Y'all still here arguing back and forth!

Lets see who gets tired first grin
hahahahahahahahaha. Lmao @ ur wheel barrow. I like funny posts
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Morayo747: Do you women know eachother?? Sheath the swords please,..

Don't you worry about it jare. Just leave us ladies to ourselves. We know how to handle each other woman to woman. Right, Sister Coogar?! grin grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:

Don't you worry about it jare. Just leave us ladies to ourselves. We know how to handle each other woman to woman. Right, Sister Coogar?! grin grin

Coogar now don turn to woman undecided

Still watching

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
Vikin:

Coogar now don turn to woman undecided

Still watching

Yes o! Can't you see 'him' arguing like a true market woman?

Don't you know 'he's' my baby sister coming for his routine, scheduled smack down! grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by onimine(f): 8:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
4 Ngozievergreen: haier thermocool washing machine is gud and d price is fair. U can get 1 4 btw 35k and 45k dependin on d size.I hav had mine since 2008. A washin machine which is life saver is not as pricy as u think. For me it is a necessity and not a luxury. As 4 bathin d kids, I do dat myself but I have someone who comes in thrice a wk 2 clean up d house
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by debosky(m): 9:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
Morayo747:

Lady I put this to you that there's no age where a woman cannot continue her career. Case study : My wife is 26 at the moment By the time she's done with having kids she's at most 30 meaning the very last of the children will be okay to look after his/herself(with the help of his/her older siblings) by the time he/she's 10. Is 40yrs old too late to start or continue a career?? I'm just not going to let my young kids be left on their own or with strangers just so I can have a bit of extra money especially when its not like I'm poor or struggling. We are not rich but we are not poor either. I like it that way. Like someone said earlier I don't mind gving up few luxuries for this.

Having said that each to his/her own and what works for me may not work for others. But I'm not telling anyone to give up entirely on their career. Just hold off a bit. And I don't think staying at home is being lazy as well. I wouldn't switch places with a fulltime mum any day. Please give them credit too its a damn hard job!!

Bros you're giving a case study yet your wife isn't yet 40, neither has she attempted going back to work. Do you know what a case study is? cheesy You are spouting theory and nothing else.

I hope for your sake it works, but it is far from certain that she will be able to re-enter the world of work at 40. I gather from your posts that you live in the UK where unemployment among older people is stubbornly high, but again I hope you will be a success story.

It's all well and good saying 'I won't do this' or 'I won't allow that' but like you said, not everyone has that luxury, neither does anyone have a guarantee on what will happen in the future.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 11:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
ileobatojo:
Yes o! Can't you see 'him' arguing like a true market woman?
Don't you know 'he's' my baby sister coming for his routine, scheduled smack down! grin

so you are into physical abuse?
ileobatoso - you need to calm down.......
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by dokunbam(m): 11:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
just passing

this is a serious issue oo

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Son Tells Mum To Leave His Home To Create Space For Girlfriend With 2kids (vid) / I Impregnanted My Best Friend's Only Daughter / As A Husband, "Before You Ask Your Wife What Are You Bringing To The Table".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.