Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? (11765 Views)

Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / Highest Speed You Have Ever Tried On Your Automobile Includimg Road Details / What Influenced You To Buy Your Automobile? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ikenna351(m): 11:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

I'm sure I'm speaking for others. We don't need to know th details.

I shake my head for you!

Ikenna.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Feb 11, 2013
[quote author=aka tonero]

Aka Tonero's vehicle data - Volkswagen Passat:

Make: Volkswagen.
Model: Passat.
Model year: 2003.
Engine size: 2,771cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 30V.
Power: 190 hp.
Torque: 280 Nm.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Induction: Naturally aspirated.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic.
Drive configuration: AWD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by obailala(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

Go and sit down somewhere. People have different interests and passions. I might be driving a car because it's a cheaper option for me but must I be interested in it! While will I bother myself with car details when other areas in my life need my interest and attention. Yes, I need to know the basics but not the details. People know in details about clothes, some about the environment, others about finance, more about music, some about fine and a handful about women! And every 'expert' in these areas can give you tons of reasons why these areas are significant in your lives; even more than cars!

So relax OP, we don't need to know the details. The basics will suffice. Thanks.

NOIBMUUL:

No disrespect Mr.NOIBMUUL but I think I would like to know the details. Could you kindly speak for yourself alone and sign off since you don't seem interested.

3 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by optimusprime2(m): 11:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
Danielstainz: iz diz worth being on da front page?....wld even perfer 2 c a post lik no light ..dan diz
Exactly what Sienna was talking about...peeps like you wif no auto-Idea, becuz you Lack the interest to even learn... *SMH*

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by femionasan(m): 11:16pm On Feb 11, 2013
@NUMBSKULL shut up and get a life if this thread doesnt interest u. Speak for yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by FindOut(m): 11:17pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

Did you read and COMPREHEND the Original Post you quoted at all You are speaking for yourself man. I seriously doubt you have a car coz if you have one, and you are familiar with terms like "registration", "vehicle maintenance" "fuel consumption" e.t.c., then you'll know just how important and HELPFUL it is to know these things. & frankly, if you have nothing important to contribute to the thread, respectfully buzz off.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Freezle(m): 11:19pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hi siena, I want to say thank You on behalf of nairaland, you doing a great job and please keep it up. This trend is really helpfull to us! Ones again THANK YOU.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: NISSAN
Model: ALTIMA
Model year: 2003.
Engine size: 2,5 S
Engine configuration: I4, DOHC 16V
Power: 175 HP @ 6000 RPM
Torque: 180 FT-LBS @ 4000 RPM
Fuel type: GASOLINE
Induction: NATURALLY ASPIRATED
Transmission: 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC
Drive configuration: FWD
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Feb 11, 2013
Femionasan's vehicle data - Nissan Maxima.

Make: Nissan
Model: Maxima SE
Model year: 2000.
Engine size: 2,987cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 24V.
Power: 227 hp.
Torque: 294 Nm.
Induction: Naturally aspirated
Transmission: 4-speed automatic.
Drive configuration: FWD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by FindOut(m): 11:26pm On Feb 11, 2013
optimus-prime1:

Exactly what Sienna was talking about...peeps like you wif no auto-Idea, becuz you Lack the interest to even learn... *SMH*

Later they'll come to the car talk section and start asking why their 3.5 litre V6(unknown to them) Nissan Altima consumes a lot of fuel compared to their friend's Nissan Altima (2.5 litre i4 - again unknown to them) of the same model year.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

Arrogant and very foolish. You speak for yourself. When you see a topic that is above your station, kindly pass. This is not politics where you demented undergrads spill all sort of nonsense.

Does sienna even look like your mate, are you Mard or high on cheap drugs?

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ikenna351(m): 11:29pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

Go and sit down somewhere. People have different interests and passions. I might be driving a car because it's a cheaper option for me but must I be interested in it! While will I bother myself with car details when other areas in my life need my interest and attention. Yes, I need to know the basics but not the details. People know in details about clothes, some about the environment, others about finance, more about music, some about fine and a handful about women! And every 'expert' in these areas can give you tons of reasons why these areas are significant in your lives; even more than cars!

So relax OP, we don't need to know the details. The basics will suffice. Thanks.

The other day, someone approached me that he had found a clean 406 (D8) to buy. He went on to say it was an American spec. I quickly told him USA & Canada never got 406. That the last Peugeots sold US & Canada were 405 & 505, before Peugeot finally left US & Canada market in 1992 or so. This guy started shouting that "I TOO Know" will kill me one day. That the seller was a friend too, so that he believed him. "After all, how much do you know about cars sef!", he said. He went on and mentioned the location of the car, for me to go and find out how I have shamed myself before him. I swallowed the insult and kept quiet. Later in the day, I decided to go and see the vehicle "the American wonders" that brought all these. Lo and behold! It was just not a Euro spec as expected, but a converted RHD to LHD. "Since when did US started driving RHD?", I asked myself. Well, I didn't bother to go back to the ignorant guy. Of course, he had made his choice to be a fool. I never bothered to find out if he eventually purchased the car. After all, it was an "American spec 406". Isnt that what he wanted?

@ NOIBMUUL,

So knowing your vehicle engine size is left for the expert? So knowing if what is under your vehicle bonnet is Naturally Aspirated Engine or Turbo engine is left for the expert? Some of us don't even deserve to own a car, honestly, even though we can afford them.

So knowing my shoe size is for fashion expert? So knowing the LED screen size I intend buying is for the expert? So knowing the operating system of your laptop is for the IT expert? Hmm!

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by skoltic12: 11:31pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: Nissan
Model: Altima
Model year: 2002
Engine size: ?
Engine configuration: V6
Power: ?
Torque: ?
Induction: ?
Transmission: Auto

Thanks so much, Siena. Your posts on NL are always a treasure-trove of vital info. Please keep up the exceptional work.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by FindOut(m): 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2013
Car I recently started DRIVING (not exactly own) fairly on the regular.

Make: SEAT
Model: CORDOBA SX Coupe
Model year: 1996.
Engine size: 1595cc
Engine configuration: I4, OHC 8V Multipoint injection
Power: 100HP*
Torque: ?? *edited*
Fuel type: GASOLINE
Induction: NATURALLY ASPIRATED
Transmission: 5 SPEED MANUAL

* = Not completely sure if it's 100hp or 75hp but with the way the vehicle jets off from 0km/hr and the number of Accords, CR-Vs and Corollas e.t.c. i have dusted with ease grin , i suspect its 100hp
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2013
Skoltic12's vehicle data - Nissan Altima.

Make: Nissan.
Model: Altima.
Model year: 2002.
Engine size: 3,498cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DOHC 24V.
Power: 240 hp.
Torque: 334 Nm.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by NOIBMUUL(m): 11:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
Ikenna351:

The other day, someone approached me that he had found a clean 406 (D8) to buy. He went on to say it was an American spec. I quickly told him USA & Canada never got 406. That the last Peugeots sold US & Canada were 405 & 505, before Peugeot finally left US & Canada market in 1992 or so. This guy started shouting that "I TOO Know" will kill me one day. That the seller was a friend too, so that he believed him. "After all, how much do you know about cars sef!", he said. He went on and mentioned the location of the car, for me to go and find out how I have shamed myself before him. I swallowed the insult and kept quiet. Later in the day, I decided to go and see the vehicle "the American wonders" that brought all these. Lo and behold! It was just not a Euro car as expected, but a converted RHD to LHD. "Since when did US started driving RHD?", I asked myself. Well, I didn't bother to go back to the ignorant guy. Of course, he had made his choice to be a fool. I never bothered to find out if he eventually purchased the car. After all, it was an "American spec 406". Isnt that what he wanted?

@ NOIBMUUL,

So knowing your vehicle engine size is left for the expert? So knowing if what is under your vehicle bonnet is Naturally Aspirated Engine or Turbo engine is left for the expert? Some of us don't even deserve to own a car, honestly, even though we can afford them.

So knowing my shoe size is for fashion expert? So knowing the LED screen size I intend buying is for the expert? So knowing the operating system of your laptop is for the IT expert? Hmm!

Ikenna

I know the basics not the details. Why won't I know my plate number (as someone opined), engine capacity, transmission oil, tyre size? Even the sizes of my break pads, radiator fan belt and wheel ball joint I know. Thanks to our Nigerian road anyway. However, I still repeat, we don't need to know the details.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by femionasan(m): 11:43pm On Feb 11, 2013
@ Siena, thinking of going for the 2007 C230 Merc, whats your take on that?

Make: Mercedes benz
Model: C230 sport
Model year: 2007
Engine size:
Engine configuration: V6 24 valve DOHC
Power: 201 hp.
Torque: 181 @2700 rpm.
Transmission: 7-speed automatic.
Drive configuration: RWD.

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by femionasan(m): 11:49pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

I know the basics not the details. Why won't I know my plate number (as someone opined), engine capacity, transmission oil, tyre size? Even the sizes of my break pads, radiator fan belt and wheel ball joint I know. Thanks to our Nigerian road anyway. However, I still repeat, we don't need to know the details.

Then leave the thread alone if you dont want to know the details, those of us that want to know are here, those that dont arent and kindly speak for yourself. Probably dont know if your car has an OBDI or OBDII slot.

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by adanny01(m): 11:52pm On Feb 11, 2013
Make: Toyota.
Model: Landcruiser Prado.
Model year: 2006.
Engine size: 2,694 cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16valves VVTi.
Power: 159 hp.
Torque: 244 Nm.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.
Drive configuration: 4WD.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL: I know the basics not the details. Why won't I know my plate number (as someone opined), engine capacity, transmission oil, tyre size? Even the sizes of my break pads, radiator fan belt and wheel ball joint I know. Thanks to our Nigerian road anyway. However, I still repeat, we don't need to know the details.

Bro, I'm not going to be rude here, and this will be my last response to you on this subject.

If you're ordering parts for your vehicle, your license plate won't identify what parts are required. In the UK or US, it does help, but not always. In Nigeria with no electronic record-keeping or other database, knowing the license plate won't help. If you're ordering parts online, there's no way you could describe parts accurately to someone on the other end of a phone line, or an automated website will accept dimensions to identify parts.

Size of your brake pads? Could you please tell me the size of the pads fitted to your car? Unless you take the old ones to a shop, there's no way knowing the size will be useful. There's nothing wrong in admitting your arguement's going downhill with each counter-response you make. Sure, this thread may be of no use to you, but others may find it helpful.

I wish you all the best.

5 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Ikenna351(m): 11:54pm On Feb 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

And what is not basic about knowing the hp of your engine? What is not basic about knowing engine torque of your engine? Are you saying car configuration (FWD, RWD or AWD) is not something 0ne must know buying choosing the car to purchase? Are you saying knowing the number of cylinders in my car is not a basic thing I should know before i even thought of buying the car? Seriously, am I talking to a fellow man here or some primary school pupil? Even some ladies I have met in car talk here know all these already about there cars and my fellow man is saying what? Unless you are truly underage, otherwise, shame don dey catch me make women no see your position here. Guy, Its very shameful!

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by hustla242: 11:55pm On Feb 11, 2013
Ok fine I'll indulge before it turns into something else wink

Make: Merc
Model: CLS320 CDI
Model year: 2008
Engine size: 2987cc
Engine configuration: V6 turbodiesel
Power: 221 hp.
Torque: 398 @2400 rpm.
Fuel type: Diesel.
Induction: I think it's turbocharged.. not sure exactly what that means though tbh
Drive configuration: RWD

Handling/Performance- 5**
Fuel Economy- 2** undecided.. Please how can I improve fuel economy around the city?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 11, 2013
femionasan: @ Siena, thinking of going for the 2007 C230 Merc, whats your take on that?

Make: Mercedes benz
Model: C230 sport
Model year: 2007
Engine size:
Engine configuration: V6 24 valve DOHC
Power: 201 hp.
Torque: 181 @2700 rpm.
Drive configuration: RWD.

Good choice. Thpough may be best to open a new thread, so I can do a mini write-up.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by ocelot2006(m): 12:00am On Feb 12, 2013
Well this is the lil I know about my cars.

Make: Kia
Model: Forte (sedan)
Model year: 2012
Engine size: 1.6L
Engine configuration: 4-cylinder engine
Power: 126hp
Torque: 156Nm
Induction: Cold Air Intake (CAI)
Transmission: automatic

Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Model year: 2012
Engine size: 1.8L
Engine configuration: 4-cylinder engine
Power: 132hp
Torque: 128lb-ft
Induction:
Transmission: automatic
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Davico(m): 12:04am On Feb 12, 2013
Passat 2006 manual transmission 2.0L turbo 4 cylinders
Am planning to get this car any moment from now.pls advice sir. I have opened a thread on it but u didn't respond, I also called your line several times but u didn't pick up
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 12, 2013
hustla242: Ok fine I'll indulge before it turns into something else wink

Make: Mercedes-Benz.
Model: CLS320 CDI.
Model year: 2008.
Engine size: 2,987cc.
Engine configuration: V6 2 x DODH 24V.
Power: 221 hp.
Torque: 398 @2400 rpm.
Fuel type: Diesel.
Induction: Turbocharged.
Drive configuration: RWD

Please how can I improve fuel economy around the city?

Best way to improve economy is to anticipate traffic before you encounter it. Slow driving would make any engine thirsty, especially big V6 diesels! smiley

Your engine's turbocharged. Naturally-aspirated means the engine is atmospheric, i.e no turbocharger or supercharger (forced-induction).
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 12, 2013
Siena:

001) Make. = Lexus
002) Model. = RX 300
003) Model year. 2002
004) Engine size. = ? ? ?
005) Engine type. = V6
006) Number of gears (less obvious if automatic).
007) Drive type = AWD.

Some transmission failures are also due to incorrect fluid use. Again, because the owners assume what transmission their vehicle's are fitted with. Ignorance can sometimes cause minor issues, other times the cost implications can be huge. It pays to know what you drive, at ALL times.

Na wah oh. Na the ones wey I sabi I don talk so. Any other thing, I rely on my mechanic's opinion, to my own financial detriment, of course. The issue of incorrect transmission fluid is particularly interesting because I suspect it is a big issue in my case. . .anyway, make I dey manage my kabukabu(s) jeje.

Na when I get money for Mercedes G65 AMG (Insha Allah) na im I go begin consult this Sienna. The guy na the largest man for NL, lol.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by hustla242: 12:19am On Feb 12, 2013
Siena:

Best way to improve economy is to anticipate traffic before you encounter it. Slow driving would make any engine thirsty, especially big V6 diesels! smiley

Your engine's turbocharged. Naturally-aspirated means the engine is atmospheric, i.e no turbocharger or supercharger (forced-induction).

Thanks, sometimes traffic is unavoidable though smiley.

Quick question for you Siena, do you know much about the 05-08 Cayenne? How does it compare to the RR sport? Both engine sizes around 3.0L, any common problems?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Ocelot2006's vehicle data - Kia Forte.

Make: Kia.
Model: Forte (sedan).
Model year: 2012.
Engine size: 1,591cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16V.
Power: 126 hp.
Torque: 156 Nm.
Induction: Naturally-aspirated.

Make: Toyota.
Model: Corolla.
Model year: 2012.
Engine size: 1,794cc.
Engine configuration: I4 DOHC 16V.
Power: 132hp.
Torque: 128lb-ft.
Induction: naturally-aspirated.
Transmission: 5-speed automatic.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:32am On Feb 12, 2013
Davico: Passat 2006 manual transmission 2.0L turbo 4 cylinders
Am planning to get this car any moment from now.pls advice sir. I have opened a thread on it but u didn't respond, I also called your line several times but u didn't pick up

My apologies, I've posted on your thread, full write-up tomorrow.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 12, 2013

Make: yes benz

Model: yes

Model year:yes
Engine size:?
Engine configuration: ?
Power: ?

Torque: ?
Fuel type: yes
Induction: ?

Transmission: ?
Drive configuration: ?.
thanks op. Dont have one yet, but the '?' above, are the above engraved clearly on the engine of the car? Torque and power, what is the difference? Finally am novice about cars, so the above questions, could you briefly explain the '?' . Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lamborghini Recalls 5,900 Supercars Due To Risk Of Fire / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? / Overheating In Rover 75 V6 2.5 Liter Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.