Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,605 members, 7,955,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:05 PM

Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (54484 Views)

Post Pictures/ Profile Of Notable Nigerians Who Attended Your University. / Helpful Tips For Newly Admitted Students / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 11:36pm On Oct 18, 2014
iyisco2001:

Talking about US, can I get the idea of such school that could admit a second class lower. Thanks for your timely response.

A second class lower might get conditional admit depending on your last 2 years in school and the conversion of your GPA. Try to run an evaluation of your transcript on WES and if it is up to 3 points, then you just check with schools of your choice for their requirements. If it is below 3.0 and above 2.7, you can look for institutions that give conditional admission. Regarding a list of schools, I cannot help with that however, you can use usnews.com or braintrack to get that.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by iyisco2001(m): 7:13am On Oct 19, 2014
GboyegaD:

A second class lower might get conditional admit depending on your last 2 years in school and the conversion of your GPA. Try to run an evaluation of your transcript on WES and if it is up to 3 points, then you just check with schools of your choice for their requirements. If it is below 3.0 and above 2.7, you can look for institutions that give conditional admission. Regarding a list of schools, I cannot help with that however, you can use usnews.com or braintrack to get that.
You've been really helpful, thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by carik(m): 9:21am On Oct 19, 2014
GboyegaD:

If you want to travel abroad for a top up degree, UK will be fine since it is a year. I read in the Guardian Newspaper of late that UK schools now have an option for Nigerians to be lectured in Nigeria for their top up degree while they go to UK for their convocation.

Thats a very good option.Do you have a rough estimate of how much that il cost cos i hear its very expensive
Thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
iyisco2001:

You've been really helpful, thanks

You are welcome.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
carik:

Thats a very good option.Do you have a rough estimate of how much that il cost cos i hear its very expensive
Thanks

I don't but you can get the information on the website of the university you want to attend.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by yuggie(f): 1:17pm On Oct 19, 2014
GboyegaD:

If you have a good MCAT score, I will suggest you check to be sure you have taken all the pre-requisite classes for Med School and then try to apply. The probability of getting admission is very slim though because many do not admit international students. Another option is to check for schools who admit students such that the 1st 2years of medical school is in the Caribbeans and you then transfer to the US for the final 2years.

Please do u have a list of schools that do that? I mean 1st 2years in the Caribbean and then transfer.....and also is the transfer assured??
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 1:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
yuggie:

Please do u have a list of schools that do that? I mean 1st 2years in the Caribbean and then transfer.....and also is the transfer assured??

Can't remember any right now but I used to know 2 in the past. I will try get in touch with the friends concerned and get back to you.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by carik(m): 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
GboyegaD:

I don't but you can get the information on the website of the university you want to attend.

yeah il check that out
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by osenidvdg(m): 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
Bros what course of study you think will be the best for accounting and a qualified accountant in master level.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Rabo04: 10:03pm On Oct 19, 2014
As a veterinary medicine student please where can I go for master in abroad?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Joelaking(m): 11:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
GboyegaD:

Good. Try to finish with good grades and hopefully you could get into top/middle programs in the US with some funding. I did suggest you check TAMUK (Texas A&M, Kingsville). I don't know their rating but I know a number of Ife Tech graduate who studied/ are studying there. Their website is www.tamuk.edu.
thanks bro. I appreciate it.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by yuggie(f): 12:32am On Oct 20, 2014
GboyegaD:

Can't remember any right now but I used to know 2 in the past. I will try get in touch with the friends concerned and get back to you.

Thanks dear, will be expecting it
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 1:59am On Oct 20, 2014
Joelaking:
thanks bro. I appreciate it.

You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by DominicX(m): 1:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
Thanks OP for ur good work, please do you think its advisable to do masters in bioinformatics in china and how cheap do u think it could be
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 7:42am On Nov 01, 2014
sluvy4tune:

I wouldn't advice cyprus for medicine, the pronounced schools in cyprus has no medical faculty , if they do its either a pathway program or its not more than 2-3 years old.

I might be wrong thou
That's totally correct. EMU in North Cyprus offers Medicine, but its a pathway. You'll be transferred to a school Turkey for completion. I suppose that's cool still. Turkey is a second world country which is a plus.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 7:48am On Nov 01, 2014
Rabo04:
As a veterinary medicine student please where can I go for master in abroad?
Ukraine has quality schools to this effect. But you shouldn't have the mindset to hustle. Anyway, veterinary medicine is enough hustling smiley
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 7:54am On Nov 01, 2014
DominicX:
Thanks OP for ur good work, please do you think its advisable to do masters in bioinformatics in china and how cheap do u think it could be
China as an emerging country offers quality education to match the US/UK... Interestingly, education in China is very affordable. Most Art/Social/Science/Engineering courses would fly for $2500/$3000 per year. Plus if you're into business, it's the best destination.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 9:05am On Nov 01, 2014
benson3788:

That's totally correct. EMU in North Cyprus offers Medicine, but its a pathway. You'll be transferred to a school Turkey for completion. I suppose that's cool still. Turkey is a second world country, of which is a plus.

Seconded !!!!

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by queenkoropt(f): 11:19pm On Nov 08, 2014
Please I have a bachelor in education but with thifd class.I want to do my masters in Europe.ready for any top up.any advice
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 5:02am On Nov 16, 2014
queenkoropt:
Please I have a bachelor in education but with thifd class.I want to do my masters in Europe.ready for any top up.any advice

Your chances are cool, but answer these questions honestly... (1) What part of Europe? (2) What program? (3) Do you have the funds? (4) What's your mentality of abroad?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
DailyNews:
WARNING: Don’t quit your job or business to travel abroad for studies!

Before you make up your mind to travel abroad to study as a Nigerian, please read the tips below:

1. If your choice of field or course of study is Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, etc, please don’t be quick to travel abroad to study because those courses are well-tutored here, and mostly based on Nigerian business environment. Most of the facilities for tutoring those courses are here in Nigeria, so consider Nigerian universities than going abroad to waste a whole lot of money only to come back with same probability of securing a job like those who studied here in Nigeria
2. If your choice of course is Engineering, foreign universities will be a better option because most Nigerian universities don’t have the necessary facilities to ground students in this field. Now, if you want to study Mechanical Engineering, consider United States of America (MIT, etc), India, and maybe UK.
3. If you want to study Chemical Engineering, and such related courses, consider Russia and United States as your best destination
4. If you want to study Medicine, United States, India and Canada is your best choice
5. If you want to study computer science, look no further than United States and India. If you want to be grounded in programming and all those stuffs, head to India.
6. If you want to study Law, Literature, etc, UK and United States should be your choice destinations.
7. If you want to stand higher chances of securing a job after graduating from a foreign university, then you must be an engineering student (mechanical, electrical, etc, from United States, India, etc).But if you studied Administrative courses, then save up money and enroll at Lagos Business School, otherwise known as PAN-AFRICAN University in Lagos Nigeria. If you can get an MBA from there (cost around 3.5 – 4million naira), you will stand better chances of securing a job in Nigeria.

There is something you need to know before deciding to travel abroad to study. First, you must find out if there are no local Nigerian universities offering your course of choice, and if they are offering it, find out if they have a proven good record in that course- are there graduates employed in good places? How are their performances after graduation? Do employers value their graduates? If your findings says yes, then why going abroad to waste resources.

For instance, Nigerian higher institutions don’t have good facilities to train graduates in Mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering, biomedical technology, etc, so it wouldn’t be a bad choice for you to make the decision to travel abroad to further your engineering knowledge or education.

How can you travel abroad to study marketing? Our marketing environment here in Nigeria is quite different from the western own, so it may not be so easy for you to succeed here when you graduate from there, and employers will unlikely give you a preferential consideration as someone who studied abroad because they know that there is no difference between you and those who studied marketing in a Nigerian higher institution.

Again, before making a decision to travel abroad to study, have it in mind that you are not going there to acquire certificate and come back to be rushed after by employers. Have it in mind that you are going there to expand your practical knowledge in your chosen course, and to enrich your knowledge to be able to apply the knowledge to establish your own company if employers fail to hire you within the first two three years of returning back to Nigeria.

Lastly, don’t use your last card or last penny to further studies abroad, it is more advisable to even use half of it to acquire a higher certificate from a reputable Nigerian institution and then invest the remaining one in a viable business that you can be running while furthering your studies.

And if you want to study computer science abroad, make sure you are going there to learn truly and not just to bag certificate to stand greater chance of being employed in big firms here in Nigeria because you may not succeed, why? Employers that employ computer scientists look for their practical knowledge, how they can use programming and all of that to debug their company problems and bring more solutions, and not just to have you for nothing. Remember, we have few successful dotcom companies here in Nigeria that can pay you huge salary, so have it in mind that you will either be working independently or as a contract staff, and your success will be highly determined by your high level programming expertise and not your class or kind of certificate or degree. India and United States seem to be a good destination for computer scientists and aspiring tech-developers. Good luck, and please look well before you leap to avoid later regrets.
pls can you connet me with any of your friends in india, am a graduate of mechanical engineering currently working in dubai but will love to enroll for a masters degree in india. I av some questions regarding the breakdown of the cost.
Thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by 1stdami(m): 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2014
Am a computer science student in 200level with GCPA 3.3 but in school we are not really taught much most just little back ground knowledge and no pratical works of the knowledge have gained is usually from the internet. i really wish to learn more about this course. i want to know a cheap and good university in india specially to further my studies
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by 1stdami(m): 3:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
benson3788:

As I don't know any cheap school in India to propose, what about using google. Education in India is affordable anyway. Good luck.
thanks found 1 but looking for a beta 1
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Uniqueseglo: 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
Pls as a Mechanical Engineering graduate which foreign country is the best for running master degree in Mechatronic Engineering and which university is suitable for that?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by koolmd: 7:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
Hello House,

Anyone practicing Health & Safety as a profession in the US? can anyone share with me info on any University in Texas where I can study M.Sc in Occupational Safety & Health...I prefer Houston because this is my sure bet to get free accommodation?

I have gone on-line but I prefer someone already studying this course or practicing this profession to share there success story with me....Thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
This is to inform you that to study in India is now easier
by getting right people to do it for you. Why study in India?

1. Global Recognition
2. Largest & Strongest University Network.
3. Second largest education system in the world.
4. Low & Moderate Tuition Fee.
5. Low Accommodation Fee & Cost of Living

We are not only helping international students for admission but also we guide them on how to obtain Student visa from Indian Embassy in that country. Furthermore, we help student on arrival in India and also student are placed in a good place to stay...

For more information about this and contact information, please see website: www.internationalstudents.in

Please find application form on the website, application can be sent to: admission@internationalstudents.in

www.internationalstudents.in

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by emirate0(m): 12:54am On Jul 15, 2015
Op am a first class graduate of electrical/electronics engineering, where would b suitable for me to further my education wit d prospect of gettin a good job after d program
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Meomar(m): 12:41pm On Aug 31, 2015
WARNING: Don’t quit your job or business to travel abroad for studies!

Before you make up your mind to travel abroad to study as a Nigerian, please read the tips below:

1. If your choice of field or course of study is Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, etc, please don’t be quick to travel abroad to study because those courses are well-tutored here, and mostly based on Nigerian business environment. Most of the facilities for tutoring those courses are here in Nigeria, so consider Nigerian universities than going abroad to waste a whole lot of money only to come back with same probability of securing a job like those who studied here in Nigeria
2. If your choice of course is Engineering, foreign universities will be a better option because most Nigerian universities don’t have the necessary facilities to ground students in this field. Now, if you want to study Mechanical Engineering, consider United States of America (MIT, etc), India, and maybe UK.
3. If you want to study Chemical Engineering, and such related courses, consider Russia and United States as your best destination
4. If you want to study Medicine, United States, India and Canada is your best choice
5. If you want to study computer science, look no further than United States and India. If you want to be grounded in programming and all those stuffs, head to India.
6. If you want to study Law, Literature, etc, UK and United States should be your choice destinations.
7. If you want to stand higher chances of securing a job after graduating from a foreign university, then you must be an engineering student (mechanical, electrical, etc, from United States, India, etc).But if you studied Administrative courses, then save up money and enroll at Lagos Business School, otherwise known as PAN-AFRICAN University in Lagos Nigeria. If you can get an MBA from there (cost around 3.5 – 4million naira), you will stand better chances of securing a job in Nigeria.

There is something you need to know before deciding to travel abroad to study. First, you must find out if there are no local Nigerian universities offering your course of choice, and if they are offering it, find out if they have a proven good record in that course- are there graduates employed in good places? How are their performances after graduation? Do employers value their graduates? If your findings says yes, then why going abroad to waste resources.

For instance, Nigerian higher institutions don’t have good facilities to train graduates in Mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering, biomedical technology, etc, so it wouldn’t be a bad choice for you to make the decision to travel abroad to further your engineering knowledge or education.

How can you travel abroad to study marketing? Our marketing environment here in Nigeria is quite different from the western own, so it may not be so easy for you to succeed here when you graduate from there, and employers will unlikely give you a preferential consideration as someone who studied abroad because they know that there is no difference between you and those who studied marketing in a Nigerian higher institution.

Again, before making a decision to travel abroad to study, have it in mind that you are not going there to acquire certificate and come back to be rushed after by employers. Have it in mind that you are going there to expand your practical knowledge in your chosen course, and to enrich your knowledge to be able to apply the knowledge to establish your own company if employers fail to hire you within the first two three years of returning back to Nigeria.

Lastly, don’t use your last card or last penny to further studies abroad, it is more advisable to even use half of it to acquire a higher certificate from a reputable Nigerian institution and then invest the remaining one in a viable business that you can be running while furthering your studies.

And if you want to study computer science abroad, make sure you are going there to learn truly and not just to bag certificate to stand greater chance of being employed in big firms here in Nigeria because you may not succeed, why? Employers that employ computer scientists look for their practical knowledge, how they can use programming and all of that to debug their company problems and bring more solutions, and not just to have you for nothing. Remember, we have few successful dotcom companies here in Nigeria that can pay you huge salary, so have it in mind that you will either be working independently or as a contract staff, and your success will be highly determined by your high level programming expertise and not your class or kind of certificate or degree. India and United States seem to be a good destination for computer scientists and aspiring tech-developers. Good luck, and please look well before you leap to avoid later regrets.
Op pls wat do u knw about Aditya engineering college India.. Pls how good n equiped is dis skool?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Laura123: 2:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
Please is it advisable to do a Certification course in Dubai (International Corporate Human Resource Management Course).
Would it be recognised in Nigeria?
Kindly advise please
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by motherless: 5:55pm On Nov 16, 2015
hello guys, I hope this thread is still functional. I am new here and I think this site is awesome. so I finished my B.Sc in Unilag, political science with a 2.1 and now I'm thinking of doing my masters (MBA in human resource management). But the thing is I have a budget of 2 million for everything including flight, tuition fee, accommodation, visa and survival and I wish to work to also support myself. please where do you guys suggest I do my masters withing my budget. I'm thinking Dubai, Australia, Scotland or Canada.
Thanks a lot
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by papyskinsy: 11:15pm On Mar 03, 2016
k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University / What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / What School Did This Guys Graduate From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.