Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:34 AM

Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (54486 Views)

Post Pictures/ Profile Of Notable Nigerians Who Attended Your University. / Helpful Tips For Newly Admitted Students / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 6:36am On Jan 02, 2014
rapcy: Good Job Bro.What of computer science, undergraduate level. With affordable tution fee...

China, India or even Turkey is cool considering their Tuition fee
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 6:37am On Jan 02, 2014
Thanks @Op for creating this Thread I will contribute in anyway possible.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by frankob(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2014
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 6:14am On Jan 06, 2014
frankob: Please sir I need your help, I just had National Diploma in Mass communication, I want to study abroad is the result useful or I have to start all over again? Please I need help.

Yes the result is useful, what course do you inteend to study ?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by yuggie(f): 10:17am On Oct 11, 2014
Good day house....please I need ur help. Graduated from UNN with 2.1 biochemistry/microbiology and want to further my studies in medicine abroad. Please do u know ppl who have gotten into medical schools in USA or Canada cos I know it is difficult without doing the premed in these countries..........and how much will it cost per/yr.
Thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 12:09pm On Oct 11, 2014
yuggie:
Good day house....please I need ur help. Graduated from UNN with 2.1 biochemistry/microbiology and want to further my studies in medicine abroad. Please do u know ppl who have gotten into medical schools in USA or Canada cos I know it is difficult without doing the premed in these countries..........and how much will it cost per/yr.
Thanks

Medical school in Canadian & USA, no way except you go thru Their Premed.

If you can present your transcript to other countries you might be considered for a 4years medical program.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by yuggie(f): 12:35pm On Oct 11, 2014
Wow even after writing the mcat?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by ridgcity: 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
hello what of a student who wants to apply to MIT what are the requirements.

my olevel results are not that good all c's and am using two results. also i am on a 3.2 cgpa and am not sure its going up. what do i do.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Ikemsinachi(m): 8:57pm On Oct 13, 2014
DailyNews:
WARNING: Don’t quit your job or business to travel abroad for studies!

Before you make up your mind to travel abroad to study as a Nigerian, please read the tips below:

1. If your choice of field or course of study is Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, etc, please don’t be quick to travel abroad to study because those courses are well-tutored here, and mostly based on Nigerian business environment. Most of the facilities for tutoring those courses are here in Nigeria, so consider Nigerian universities than going abroad to waste a whole lot of money only to come back with same probability of securing a job like those who studied here in Nigeria
2. If your choice of course is Engineering, foreign universities will be a better option because most Nigerian universities don’t have the necessary facilities to ground students in this field. Now, if you want to study Mechanical Engineering, consider United States of America (MIT, etc), India, and maybe UK.
3. If you want to study Chemical Engineering, and such related courses, consider Russia and United States as your best destination
4. If you want to study Medicine, United States, India and Canada is your best choice
5. If you want to study computer science, look no further than United States and India. If you want to be grounded in programming and all those stuffs, head to India.
6. If you want to study Law, Literature, etc, UK and United States should be your choice destinations.
7. If you want to stand higher chances of securing a job after graduating from a foreign university, then you must be an engineering student (mechanical, electrical, etc, from United States, India, etc).But if you studied Administrative courses, then save up money and enroll at Lagos Business School, otherwise known as PAN-AFRICAN University in Lagos Nigeria. If you can get an MBA from there (cost around 3.5 – 4million naira), you will stand better chances of securing a job in Nigeria.

There is something you need to know before deciding to travel abroad to study. First, you must find out if there are no local Nigerian universities offering your course of choice, and if they are offering it, find out if they have a proven good record in that course- are there graduates employed in good places? How are their performances after graduation? Do employers value their graduates? If your findings says yes, then why going abroad to waste resources.

For instance, Nigerian higher institutions don’t have good facilities to train graduates in Mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering, biomedical technology, etc, so it wouldn’t be a bad choice for you to make the decision to travel abroad to further your engineering knowledge or education.

How can you travel abroad to study marketing? Our marketing environment here in Nigeria is quite different from the western own, so it may not be so easy for you to succeed here when you graduate from there, and employers will unlikely give you a preferential consideration as someone who studied abroad because they know that there is no difference between you and those who studied marketing in a Nigerian higher institution.

Again, before making a decision to travel abroad to study, have it in mind that you are not going there to acquire certificate and come back to be rushed after by employers. Have it in mind that you are going there to expand your practical knowledge in your chosen course, and to enrich your knowledge to be able to apply the knowledge to establish your own company if employers fail to hire you within the first two three years of returning back to Nigeria.

Lastly, don’t use your last card or last penny to further studies abroad, it is more advisable to even use half of it to acquire a higher certificate from a reputable Nigerian institution and then invest the remaining one in a viable business that you can be running while furthering your studies.

And if you want to study computer science abroad, make sure you are going there to learn truly and not just to bag certificate to stand greater chance of being employed in big firms here in Nigeria because you may not succeed, why? Employers that employ computer scientists look for their practical knowledge, how they can use programming and all of that to debug their company problems and bring more solutions, and not just to have you for nothing. Remember, we have few successful dotcom companies here in Nigeria that can pay you huge salary, so have it in mind that you will either be working independently or as a contract staff, and your success will be highly determined by your high level programming expertise and not your class or kind of certificate or degree. India and United States seem to be a good destination for computer scientists and aspiring tech-developers. Good luck, and please look
I think for medicine, china heads usa
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by carik(m): 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2014
bro how do i further my studies to get a bsc with my hnd studying abroad or in Nigeria and the estimated cost of it all..thanks

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by MrsAnyanwu(f): 9:29am On Oct 14, 2014
pls i am a graduate of biochemistry with a 2.2, i want to study medicine abroad, what are the requirements with my first degree, tnx
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 9:56am On Oct 15, 2014
frankob:
Please sir I need your help, I just had National Diploma in Mass communication, I want to study abroad is the result useful or I have to start all over again? Please I need help.

If you'll like studying in Eastern Mediterranean University, North Cyprus, a semester could be waived for you. Depending on the program you want to do.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 11:23am On Oct 15, 2014
MrsAnyanwu:
pls i am a graduate of biochemistry with a 2.2, i want to study medicine abroad, what are the requirements with my first degree, tnx

Which country ?

Aside your basic academic credentials other requirement are based on country of choice
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by carik(m): 12:34am On Oct 16, 2014
carik:
bro how do i further my studies to get a bsc with my hnd studying abroad or in Nigeria and the estimated cost of it all..thanks
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by MrsAnyanwu(f): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2014
sluvy4tune:

Which country ?

Aside your basic academic credentials other requirement are based on country of choice
tnx dear, i am thinking of usa, but are there schools abroad that accepts 2.2 for medicine cos my friends told me its only first class or 2.1,tnx, but pls what of cyprus,do they accept,God bles
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 12:04pm On Oct 16, 2014
MrsAnyanwu:
tnx dear, i am thinking of usa, but are there schools abroad that accepts 2.2 for medicine cos my friends told me its only first class or 2.1,tnx, but pls what of cyprus,do they accept,God bles

I wouldn't advice cyprus for medicine, the pronounced schools in cyprus has no medical faculty , if they do its either a pathway program or its not more than 2-3 years old.

I might be wrong thou
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by MrsAnyanwu(f): 3:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
sluvy4tune:

I wouldn't advice cyprus for medicine, the pronounced schools in cyprus has no medical faculty , if they do its either a pathway program or its not more than 2-3 years old.

I might be wrong thou
tnx dearie, but pls try nd reply my first questions,tnx
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2014
carik:

If you can provide your HND transcript u will get a Waiver ,chances are that you might get a 3years program instead of 4 .
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
MrsAnyanwu:
tnx dearie, but pls try nd reply my first questions,tnx

If you have the cash you might want to consider Caribbean , With your first degree transcript u could get a 4years medical program instead of 5.

Most USA & Canada schools is difficult to get a direct medicine , u must go thru pathway and if u don't meet up u end up doing other medical related course
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by carik(m): 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2014
sluvy4tune:

If you can provide your HND transcript u will get a Waiver ,chances are that you might get a 3years program instead of 4 .

Oops....Lawd! 4 years seems too much even after hnd
I understand the importance of the degree but can't they consider the number of years spent in getting the hnd
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
carik:

Oops....Lawd! 4 years seems too much even after hnd
I understand the importance of the degree but can't they consider the number of years spent in getting the hnd

Maybe u didn't get me right, u might spend 3years instead of 4

& that's base on the fact that u are able to provide ur HND transcript
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by MrsAnyanwu(f): 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
sluvy4tune:

If you have the cash you might want to consider Caribbean , With your first degree transcript u could get a 4years medical program instead of 5.

Most USA & Canada schools is difficult to get a direct medicine , u must go thru pathway and if u don't meet up u end up doing other medical related course

tnx a lot dearie,pls is 2.2 in biochemistry accepted anywhere in the world to study medicine,tnx
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by sluvy4tune(m): 1:14pm On Oct 17, 2014
MrsAnyanwu:
tnx a lot dearie,pls is 2.2 in biochemistry accepted anywhere in the world to study medicine,tnx

I don't know for anywhere in the world, I have given info on some countries I am sure of.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by MrsAnyanwu(f): 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
sluvy4tune:

I don't know for anywhere in the world, I have given info on some countries I am sure of.
pls my dear list the countries for me,tnx
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:01am On Oct 18, 2014
abbakacici:
PhD candidates are encouraged to complete their degree in four years and, with but few exceptions, funding generally isn’t provided beyond this period. But looking at studies on PhD completion times at Canadian universities, it is clear that the vast majority of students do not finish in four years: the average post-master’s completion time is about five years, according to a 2003 report by Frank Elgar (PDF). this shows you have to paid for your fifth year yours self
nternational students who cannot pay their fees are unable to prove to Immigration Canada that they have sufficient funds to remain in the country. They are faced with having to leave Canada without a degree, after four years of hard work,
Placements and funding at Canadian universities, we are told, are accorded on merit. But in practice it will be those international students who can pay who will be academically more successful. Or, international students are tacitly expected to be superior academicallythan their Canadian colleagues. This is not a “culture of completion” as university authorities tell us, but a “culture of discrimination.”

Most times people get dissertation completion grant to do the 5th year and sometimes, additional departmental funding.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:03am On Oct 18, 2014
Mayouree:
@Daily news, thanks for this info, as hav been thinking about dis topic since I graduated this year. I want to study petroleum economics and finance , and am thinking of studying in USA because that is my sure bet of free accommodation texas to be precise, I will like u to surggest to me a better university in USA (texas) to run this program for my masters degree or if not going abroad to do this and any better school for this postgraduate course here in Nigeria or if u hav any related course that i can do in USA that is in demand here in Nigeria.I studied Economics for my first degree. God bless.

I am not sure there is anything like Petroleum Economics as a course in the US however, you can apply for a course in Economics and take classes in Natural Resources and Energy Economics. As for your school of choice, since you are considering free accommodation, I would suggest you pick a school close to where you have the accommodation but please, do not tell the VO this is why you are considering the school as that could be termed "Migration Intent".
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:06am On Oct 18, 2014
Joelaking:
Bro. I seriously need your advice. Im an elect/elect stdt in OAU. But d way i see lectures videos of our mates in M.I.T. I knw we re far behind. So im thinking on getting a transfer to a better university anywhere overseas buf im not too bouyant financially. But if there wont be any option for (n undergraduate transfer. I will just complete my undergraduate studies and then seek to further overseas. Now whats ur advice sir

Good. Try to finish with good grades and hopefully you could get into top/middle programs in the US with some funding. I did suggest you check TAMUK (Texas A&M, Kingsville). I don't know their rating but I know a number of Ife Tech graduate who studied/ are studying there. Their website is www.tamuk.edu.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:10am On Oct 18, 2014
yuggie:
Wow even after writing the mcat?

If you have a good MCAT score, I will suggest you check to be sure you have taken all the pre-requisite classes for Med School and then try to apply. The probability of getting admission is very slim though because many do not admit international students. Another option is to check for schools who admit students such that the 1st 2years of medical school is in the Caribbeans and you then transfer to the US for the final 2years.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 12:13am On Oct 18, 2014
carik:

If you want to travel abroad for a top up degree, UK will be fine since it is a year. I read in the Guardian Newspaper of late that UK schools now have an option for Nigerians to be lectured in Nigeria for their top up degree while they go to UK for their convocation.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by iyisco2001(m): 2:15pm On Oct 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

If you want to travel abroad for a top up degree, UK will be fine since it is a year. I read in the Guardian Newspaper of late that UK schools now have an option for Nigerians to be lectured in Nigeria for their top up degree while they go to UK for their convocation.
I love what u have done in this thread and its nice. I want to ask some few questions though, i am a graduate of mech engr, i wish to pursue my second degree in Germany, now that you've talked about UK America and india, what do you think of Germany?, i am about the cost and ability to work and study. thanks in advance.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
iyisco2001:

I love what u have done in this thread and its nice. I want to ask some few questions though, i am a graduate of mech engr, i wish to pursue my second degree in Germany, now that you've talked about UK America and india, what do you think of Germany?, i am about the cost and ability to work and study. thanks in advance.

Good you are considering cost and the ability to work while studying. As for the U.S., you can get funding to study and you work 20 hours a week for the department or university as your funding applies however, you cannot work extra hours. The good thing is if you are prudent, the funds you get from school will sustain you but you might not have savings. For Canada, they are a bit flexible however, they rarely funds course based masters. As for the other countries you listed, I have no information on them.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by iyisco2001(m): 9:13pm On Oct 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

Good you are considering cost and the ability to work while studying. As for the U.S., you can get funding to study and you work 20 hours a week for the department or university as your funding applies however, you cannot work extra hours. The good thing is if you are prudent, the funds you get from school will sustain you but you might not have savings. For Canada, they are a bit flexible however, they rarely funds course based masters. As for the other countries you listed, I have no information on them.
Talking about US, can I get the idea of such school that could admit a second class lower. Thanks for your timely response.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University / What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / What School Did This Guys Graduate From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.