Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,752 members, 7,840,935 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola (20018 Views)

Igbos And Lagos Economy / Who Runs The Lagos Economy? / Africa's New Biggest City Is Lagos - & Economy To Outweigh Johannesburg By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Rooneyboy(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
*Yawns*
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by solomon111(m): 4:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
nitrogen:
Are you sure of this?
yes, i am sure on both counts.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Orikinla(m): 4:14pm On Mar 06, 2013
Lagos can do without revenue allocations from the FG unlike other states.
Just wait and see what Eko Atlantic will look like.
God bless us all in Lagos.
Eko ni koko!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by chreldb(m): 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
playto: Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has said the economy of the state is rated above Ghana and the United Kingdom.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-economy-rated-above-ghana-uk-fashola/

E be like say Fashola don de smoke igbo.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by gramci: 4:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
reporter?:

The governor was not referring to size of the economy, but economic ratings by organisations such as Fitch, S&P, Moody, Egan-Jones, Nigeria Bureau of Stats etc.
Next time, try to comprehend within the context of a text before criticizing.

Please go through the thread again and show me where fashola referred to any of these rating organisations you mentioned.

Anyway, in another news Borno State economy has been described by experts as the fastest growing economy in ther world.

Fault it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Obiora4life: 4:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
Orikinla: Lagos can do without revenue allocations from the FG unlike other states.
Eko ni koko!

Yet it's the largest indebted state in Nigeria, indeed Lagos can do without Revenue allocations but for sure can depend on debt to live on its course.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by eriegua83: 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
FASHOLA my Mouth travel.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by OlaAjia(m): 4:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
gbadexy: That na confirm na, lagos economy is definitely bigger than ghana's economy but I doubt if lagos economy or nigerian economy for that matter is bigger than that of U.K

You seem unable to comprehend the difference between "rated ahead" and "bigger than". Those two qualifiers are markedly distinct in their descriptiveness. The former deals with performance indices, whereas the latter is concerned with size. The size of an economy is not necessarily indicative of its performance; so the economies of Ghana and UK, while probably larger than that of Lagos, may not necessarily be performing as good!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Slizbeat(m): 4:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
The Economy of Nigeria that is not up to that of the U.k? How comes lagos state which is in Nigeria has a better economy than U.k?

Fashola is taking his performance too far and it makes him look like a douche.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by ZUBY77(m): 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: "What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year"....Fashola

It's now obvious that Fashola thinks he's COMPETING with the federal govt. Is the state govt supposed to COMPETE with federal govt? This COMPETITION mentality is what has been causing schisms between federal govt and southwest state governors. The southwest governors are just being CHILDISH. There should be COLLABORATION between all tiers of govt to deliver services to the people, irrespective of party affiliation.

After all the president was in Lagos recently to flag off the Eko Atlantic city project.

You should be ashamed sometimes. Even if someone is paying you to defend him at all cost, you still have the right to avoid some topics. Doyin Okupe and Abati who earns more money than you are begining to say less while you who knows nada keeps ranting here. Fashola is far better and even educated than your GEJ., but ofcourse you will never agree

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by imperiouxx(m): 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mouthing Ghanians se una dey hear so! kiss
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Zzyzx92(m): 4:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: "What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year"....Fashola

It's now obvious that Fashola thinks he's COMPETING with the federal govt. Is the state govt supposed to COMPETE with federal govt? This COMPETITION mentality is what has been causing schisms between federal govt and southwest state governors. The southwest governors are just being CHILDISH. There should be COLLABORATION between all tiers of govt to deliver services to the people, irrespective of party affiliation.

After all the president was in Lagos recently to flag off the Eko Atlantic city project.
Mr Man, why r you thinking with your ass? When the so-called federal government is not ready to "COLLABORATE" and deliver better service to the people, the state government has no other option. Stop saying Lagos State govt is competing with Federal govt...its annoying! Eko oni baje!
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by chizel: 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fashola should shut up and mind his work as a gorvernor,enough of his stupid petty party politics.nonesense
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by MusicCafe: 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
gbadexy: That na confirm na, lagos economy is definitely bigger than ghana's economy but I doubt if lagos economy or nigerian economy for that matter is bigger than that of U.K
THE KEYWORD IS "RATED" NOT BIGGER airheadssssssssssss!!!!
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 06, 2013
I had to come back on this thread again and laugh at the delusional governor.... grin

The city of London alone(not London) has a better economy than Lagos... grin
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by tatosh: 4:34pm On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Even if all the governors didn't support the tour when it was deliberated at Nigerians Governors Forum, but the fact that majority supported it in the forum should imply that the minority that opposed the idea during deliberation should fall in line. Isn't that the essence of an association such as NGF? If decisions taken after deliberation at the NGF cannot be abided by all parties what then is the essence of NGF?

Assuming we take Fashola's word that he opposed the idea during deliberation at NGF, why didn't he state make his opposition public then (mid last yr)? Why now? Why wait until the tour has gone half way before making his opposition public?

From all indications, the opposition to the tour by Southwest governors is an after thought. They'r afraid of the positive publicity the programme is generating nationwide

Alas!! So people realy think like this. What a phool!
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by MusicCafe: 4:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
Krucifax: Nigeria's GDP is US$413.402 Billion Pending revision from 2011 (i.e it is actually higher)= Source IMF

Ghana's GDP is US$90.0 Billion Current = Source IMF

U.K's GDP is US$2.316 Trillion Current = Source IMF

Lagos State GDP is US$33,679 Billion Old figures = Source Canback Global Income Distribution Database.

Yes Lagos try no be small but Fashola should stop cracking bad jokes!
KEYWORD IS "RATED" NOT BIGGER GO READ THE ARTICLE AGAIN...FITCH RATING ...I'M SURE YOU MUST HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by halimat1985(f): 4:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
Choice of words!
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
MusicCafe:
KEYWORD IS "RATED" NOT BIGGER GO READ THE ARTICLE AGAIN...FITCH RATING ...I'M SURE YOU MUST HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT

Even with fitch ratings, there's no way in hell or heaven where Lagos would have a better rating than the UK... UK's ratings should probably be A- or something... Lagos is nowhere close to that...
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Good job Fasola. Everyone knows UK's economy is better than Nigeria. But within the past year, UK economy has been downgraded by rating agencies while that of Lagos has been upgraded from stable to a much better positive outlook. That's the context in which Fasola made his comments.

The good governance tour is a scam. You can't give what you don't have. GEJ and his ministers are a bunch of failures and thus unfit to organize such a tour. Even at that, to what end? What's the essence of the tour?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by sucess001(m): 4:48pm On Mar 06, 2013
MusicCafe:

Even if Fitch tell you that kain tin...you sef suppose believe ba? Jokers!
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by bigboyk(m): 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
This man is suffering from megalomania and delusions of grandeur. The worst part is that many will believe him. What criteria or yardstick did he use to arrive at his conclusion? Size of economy? GDP? Per Capital Income? Unemployment Rate? Investment climate? Inflation? Infrastructural development? Some people seem to get a some form of pleasure when they look down on other countries. Mr. Fashola, I appreciate you efforts in making Lagos a better state but don't blow out other people's candle to make yours shine brighter. Ghana is doing good. It will be almost impossible for Lagos state alone to beat it in any of the economic indices listed above. Manifestation of self is an enemy of progress.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by solomon111(m): 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Orikinla: Lagos can do without revenue allocations from the FG unlike other states.
Eko ni koko!
lagos can do without FG allocation?
Lol.
The last time OBJ tried it,Tinubu nearly ran mad.
Besides,most of the so-called investors in lagos and in Nigeria at large, were wooed to Nigeria by the FG under the able hands of the minister for trade and investment and the minister of finance.
Lagos state govt never did shitt.
They only thing lagos have going for them is the population.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by mfm04622: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
Krucifax: Nigeria's GDP is US$413.402 Billion Pending revision from 2011 (i.e it is actually higher)= Source IMF

Ghana's GDP is US$90.0 Billion Current = Source IMF

U.K's GDP is US$2.316 Trillion Current = Source IMF

Lagos State GDP is US$33,679 Billion Old figures = Source Canback Global Income Distribution Database.

Yes Lagos try no be small but Fashola should stop cracking bad jokes!

fashola talked of the RATING, not the size of the economies. He said the rating of Lagos economy is now rated positive, up from stable. While that of UK was recently downgraded and the AAA rating taken away. Not size, but outlook.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by EkoIle1: 4:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
solomon111: so lagos state can compete with the FG?
Lol.
It can't even compete with akwa-ibom state in basic developmental indices.

We are not talking about some rural village.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by EkoIle1: 4:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
mfm04622:

fashola talked of the RATING, not the size of the economies. He said the rating of Lagos economy is now rated positive, up from stable. While that of UK was recently downgraded and the AAA rating taken away. Not size, but outlook.

Lack of ability to read and properly comprehend is a major problem on NL.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Kairoseki77: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
If you want be mad at someone, be mad at the person that named this thread.

The Lagos economy has a "positive" rating, which is better than the "stable" rating of Ghana and the UK. Ratings like that attract investors, and make it easier for businesses in Lagos to attract funding from banks so that they can grow.

[size=20pt]Also, whoever posted those GDP figures is a liar. According to World Bank:

Ghana 39.2 Billion (2011 World Bank)
Lagos 50 Billion (2011 Credit Suisse Bank)
Nigeria 244 Billion (2011 World Bank)[/size]

I would have used World Bank for all of them but the World Bank doesn't rate cities. All of these figures are nominal GDP, and 2011 was the most recent I could find for all three.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by bigboyk(m): 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
By the way, what are the criteria used in making ratings? Please, economists and other financial experts should break this assertion down with valid and current figures. Let's discuss this topic objectively and not subjectively. I love economics, law, politics and history. These are the fields that control the world. So Nlanders, let's rub minds.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by fuke(m): 5:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
[quote author=Ngwakwe]Why is Fashola so proud to be dishing out unconfirmed Statistics?

Are those overrated, Photoshop and computer printed projects included in those numbers.

Gov. Fashola's performance - Average

[/quote

You must have another meaning for average.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
Obiora4life: Unfortunately, the man called Fashola will do anything to repair his image, like PointB rightly point, he's a showman, nothing else.

Was his image ever damaged abi that one occurred inside ya dream us usual..?
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
My governor! Go on sohun! cheesy
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by nitrogen(m): 5:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

We are not talking about some rural village.
God bless you!

I asked him a question the other time, I was expecting him to substantiate his assertion, but he never did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Labour Crisis: FG Directs Kaduna To Follow Principle Of Redundancy / See The Themes Of 2024 Budget Of Federal Government And The States / Pdp’ll Form Next Govt In Lagos —mimiko

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.