Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? (8369 Views)

Northern Leaders Demand Pardon For Boko Haram / Presidential Pardon For Major Hamza Almustapha / Alamieyeseigha, Others To Get State Pardon Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 13, 2013
What makes those VIP convict different from the other ones that they can't also get state pardon?? Mtchew
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by jeffizy(m): 9:17am On Mar 13, 2013
Billyonaire: State Pardon, just like Political Amnesty are political panacea. I understand that many people will be focusing on Alameseigha more than other beneficiaries, so I will like to ask. Was Alams the most corrupt Governor then ? Why was his case different ? I think his arrest and conviction was politically motivated by OBJ to send a message to his opponents, OBJ was also doing same to Mike Adenuga, (although Mike ran away to UK, to avoid arrest), OBJ was arresting these guys to send a message to IBB, Atiku etc. Alams from that experience was inspired to derive a political philosophy which he carefully opines: "There are only two entities you can not fight, God and Government" and I agree. This state pardon, just like the amnesty programme, is a worthy step.
billionaire, should i conclude that ur comment was made to bring a balanced debate to the fore? If not, then i need to ask if u were absent when alamaisiegha was in court, when he ran out of the U.K as a woman.
Did obj plan all these? Dont be economical with the truth!

5 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ochukoccna: 9:18am On Mar 13, 2013
ckkris:

NA means Nigerian Army
NASS means National Assembly

Are you instigating a coups?
When dem catch you, na treason be that.
You certainly know what you're asking for.
Phuck you bit@h
Na ya pap dem go hold for treason
Where did I ask for the Army to take over bit@h?
Are you not aware that Nigeria is in a me$$ today because of them?
Read my post and comprehend you dumb government hack
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by BlueMurder(m): 9:19am On Mar 13, 2013
A public officer that stole his state blind and was disgraced out of office, should be hiding himself in ignominy and thanking God for not committing the crime in China. Pardoning him is the height of executive recklessness and abuse of power.

9 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ochukoccna: 9:20am On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb: People need to understand that it is not the FG as per Executive arm of government that single handedly gave the pardon .
The pardon was made by the Council of State which include Buhari, it is an elders council not ministers' forum that GEJ can influence.
Anybody mentioning clueless here should know that that include Buhari , Gowon , IBB , Abubakar etc
Buhari , OBJ, IBB , Abubakar were not there
Only Gowon and Shagari

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Afam4evaIsASlut: 9:22am On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb: People need to understand that it is not the FG as per Executive arm of government that single handedly gave the pardon .
The pardon was made by the Council of State which include Buhari, it is an elders council not ministers' forum that GEJ can influence.
Anybody mentioning clueless here should know that that include Buhari , Gowon , IBB , Abubakar etc

You monkeys will die swinging from the tree of ignorance ....

Lets even assume Buhari, IBB, OBJ, Abubabkr and co were there.....

WHO IS THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF?!?!?

3 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ochukoccna: 9:23am On Mar 13, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

You monkeys will die swinging from the tree of ignorance ....

Lets even assume Buhari, IBB, OBJ, Abubabkr and co were there.....

WHO IS THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF?!?!?
Buhari , OBJ, IBB , Abubakar were not there
Only Gowon and Shagari
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Elueme: 9:24am On Mar 13, 2013
I frown at Alamieyegshai's name. For the victim's of military junta I have no problem with them having pardon, afterall they were convicted by illegal government and so shouldn't be recognized. This is one of the flaws by the presidency and why they are humans. Fashola would do same for Tinubu if in the same position why they are all humans.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by slimfit1(m): 9:24am On Mar 13, 2013
Jonathan is finished watch out my pastor said oh not me just watch what will happen very soon. He thinks it's these big guys that will save him but he will empower is enemies which is what he is doing. He forgot the people that protested for him when he was vice president Nigeria will definitely breakup part 1
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by omenka(m): 9:27am On Mar 13, 2013

And who told you Buhari was in attendance? And even if he was, who told you he also endorsed it?

Stop trying to spread the spread blame around. If it had been a good decision, all glory wouldave gone to the dullaard but knowin its a terrible one, you guys want to share the spoils of the outcome.

The idea was the Retardeen's. Deal with it. It's his trademark attitude!
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by pheesayor(m): 9:29am On Mar 13, 2013
Buhari was NOT at this particular meeting
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by minostik(m): 9:30am On Mar 13, 2013
This is an Endorsement of corruption!!!!!!!!!!!! Some one really doesn't give a damn shocked
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 13, 2013
@ITBOMB thx iz not GEJ is our past wicked leaders that are terrolizing this country useing BOKO H to cover up. Can u imagine that.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by fxskye: 9:33am On Mar 13, 2013
State Pardon to Alams? Another reason y Jonathan does not to be a head of a community let alone a President.
@ billyonaira, I cn understand that u'r a member of Alam's family.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by tunapawizzy: 9:35am On Mar 13, 2013
Billyonaire: State Pardon, just like Political Amnesty are political panacea. I understand that many people will be focusing on Alameseigha more than other beneficiaries, so I will like to ask. Was Alams the most corrupt Governor then ? Why was his case different ? I think his arrest and conviction was politically motivated by OBJ to send a message to his opponents, OBJ was also doing same to Mike Adenuga, (although Mike ran away to UK, to avoid arrest), OBJ was arresting these guys to send a message to IBB, Atiku etc. Alams from that experience was inspired to derive a political philosophy which he carefully opines: "There are only two entities you can not fight, God and Government" and I agree. This state pardon, just like the amnesty programme, is a worthy step.
AH billyonaire FEAR GOD.

8 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by brosdoncome(m): 9:36am On Mar 13, 2013
Does it mean that any of these guys can vie for any political office having granted a state pardon?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by hassey(m): 9:36am On Mar 13, 2013
JEG said bh ar faceles and he wount grant dem is amnesty, meaning he never kia for d poor mases loosen dere lives. But here is he granting pardon to d leaders wo av indirecly kill thousand of citisen cause of poor government. Lack of job, poor health facility to name but few.... I tink it will av bin beter for him to grant fredom to d innocent nigerians dat filled up nigeria prisons. And prosecute d rogues wo av indirectly killed thousand of nigerian.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Elueme: 9:37am On Mar 13, 2013
Also, we must not fail to understand the intrigues that necessitate state pardon. Some have argued the intrigue behind Alam's conviction, however true it may be but the fact that he was guilty can't be denied and as such deserved to be treated as an ex-convict. In the same vein, pardons are orchestrated by regional or sectional wish but that wish should be rationale by itself. Fortunately for Alam's and unfortunately for us the IJAWS still think that Alam's conviction was politically motivated to silence their number one advocate for resource control and struggle against the marginalization of the Niger delta. Alam's despite his conviction is given a public accolade by his kinsmen even more than the president.. Why we need put away sentiments and analyse this critically
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Bobandgreat: 9:37am On Mar 13, 2013
This is a very wrong move by Jonathan. Alams name shouldnt have been there. This is a misguided sense of loyalty here. The man is a convict for God's sake. Nigerians should form a political party where membership should b based on:
1. Less than 60years.
2. Never held a political post before
3. Literates and Innovative illiterates
4. None military
5. All types of religious beliefs except satanists.
6. Emphasis on moderate Muslims
7. No backbiters and sabotoirs.

So we can wrestle power from these oppressors.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ITbomb(m): 9:40am On Mar 13, 2013
pheesayor: Buhari was NOT at this particular meeting
And why was he not present in a body whose collective decision is upheld by all.
If he is not interested he should resign from it otherwise let him always attend meeting and make his opinion known and fight against unpopular decision cos for any group , once a quorum has been reached , all decisions made are assumed to be a collective decision.
You either attend a meeting to reject proposals or forever shout up when the head of your team announced the decisions of the meeting

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 13, 2013
Mischievous moderators at work again. How many threads about state pardon will make front page? At the last count, about three threads, have made front page on three consecutive days. How many more do we expect?
Smh!

Personally, I dont like the decision to pardon certain political actors, but those who took the decision have their reasons.

The Council of State consists of the president, vice president, senate president, speaker of the house of reps, all the former president/head of state, past chief justices of the federation, the 36 state governors (including ACN, APGA and CPC governors). If certain persons were not satisfied with the decisions by the Council of State, they could atleast have staged a walk out or did something to register their dis-satisfaction.

But if all of them emerged from the meeting smiling, it is safe to assume they deliberated on all the issues and took the RIGHT decisions.

It smacks of mischief and opportunitics politicking to reduce a body as large as the Council of State to one man- the president.

Anyway, I will not dissipate time and energy discussing intangible issues such as granting of state pardon. For me, the pertinent issues are tangible things that impact on my life and the life of other Nigerians. Things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation,etc

2 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Ahmedie25(m): 9:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Am not suprise with the pardon,i knw corrupt politicians are hv free days in GEJ Government,bt my suprise is why is Olabode George ommitted in d pardon list
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Zinosalexander(m): 9:55am On Mar 13, 2013
Movie premier. "Presidential prison break - season 1" Staring Goodluck Joni, Alamaceya and more. Grab your copy NOW

2 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by MacOscar(m): 10:01am On Mar 13, 2013
This is the height of madness being exhibited by this govt. This is a flagrant abuse of constitutional powers to favour few unrepentant criminals. The quantum or nature of offence committed by the listed beneficiaries are not the same. It pre-supposes that anyone who commits or have committed same brazen offence of broad looting of tax-payers money will equally be pardoned by this PDP-led govt... Which way Nigeria? What's the legacy they are leaving behind for the coming generation? What happens to the wretched woman who stole her neighbours goat, she pleaded guilty and was convicted and sentenced to 2years imprisonment. Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!! Arise O'compatriot...APC must wrestle power off this deadly killer party.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ITbomb(m): 10:03am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Personally, I dont like the decision to pardon certain political actors, but those who took the decision have their reasons.

The Council of State consists of the president, vice president, senate president, speaker of the house of reps, all the former president/head of state, past chief justices of the federation, the 36 state governors (including ACN, APGA and CPC governors). If certain persons were not satisfied with the decisions by the Council of State, they could atleast have staged a walk out or did something to register their dis-satisfaction.

But if all of them emerged from the meeting smiling, it is safe to assume they deliberated on all the issues and took the RIGHT decisions.

It smacks of mischief and opportunitics politicking to reduce a body as large as the Council of State to one man- the president.

Anyway, I will not dissipate time and energy discussing intangible issues such as granting of state pardon. For me, the pertinent issues are tangible things that impact on my life and the life of other Nigerians. Things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation,etc
Thank you brother
When mischievous agents takes advantage of the uninformed peoples's mentality of a Strongman Ruler, they feast on topics like this.
We should focus on building strong institutions instead of this One Man Rule mentality
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by doveweed(m): 10:11am On Mar 13, 2013
You must be high on some cheap weed. Did you see Buhari at the meeting? Or IBB? Or OBJ? Earnest shonekan, Gowon and The tired Shagari were the only old fools that attended and still attend the rubber stamp gathering called council of state . Anyway, I'm not surprised, Alams is GEJ's godfather and political mentor. So he said.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Chegunn(m): 10:15am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Mischievous moderators at work again. How many threads about state pardon will make front page? At the last count, about three threads, have made front page on three consecutive days. How many more do we expect?
Smh!

smh
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Sammy107d(m): 10:17am On Mar 13, 2013
Jonathan Confirms Pardon For Alamieyeseigha, Says, “I Owe No One Apology”- PREMIUM TIMES

"President Goodluck Jonathan has confirmed the granting of presidential pardon to a former Governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, and a few other ex-convicts.

PREMIUM TIMES had broken the strory of the pardon while the meeting was underway Tuesday morning.

We also reported details of the proceedings minutes after the meeting ended.

Presidential spokespersons had gone underground for most of yesterday in what appeared a ploy to dodge media enquiry on the controversial pardon of a man who stole his people blind while governor.

But Mr. Jonathan, speaking through his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Doyin Okupe, has now confirmed our report.

He said he has no apology for his action.

Mr. Okupe spoke on Channels TV breakfast show, Sunrise.

“That is an action that has been taken by the National Council of States and I have no apology for that.” Mr. Jonathan said. “We must begin to respect and honour our institutions. I don’t need to defend the action that has been taken.”

When reminded that the action had created the impression that the government was not serious about the war against corruption, Mr. Jonathan said, “It is not all decisions parents take that are palatable for their kids. But with time they will realize that their parents are right.”

He said pardoning Mr. Alamieyeseigha was in order as the former Bayelsa governor had suffered enough.

“A man was deposed. He was hounded, tried and jail. What is wrong with giving pardon to a remorseful sinner?

“How come granting pardon to him has become an aberration? Is it because he is from Bayelsa? Is it from he is from South-South? Is it because he is connected to Mr. President?”"

What Mr. President fails to process, fundamentally, is that the government is not the people's parent; it's the people's employee.

3 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by omeiz93: 10:18am On Mar 13, 2013
The number one person to be given state pardon is El-Mustapha, why do we like to politicised issues in ds great country. All ds hoolla balloo is just for 2015 general election. May God deliver all our leaders.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 13, 2013
vlarge: I don't know why President Goodluck will not understand that ruling this country Nigeria is way bigger than his weak thoughts. It's just so painfull he has not realised that lots of Nigerians has died : shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked because of weak governance.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by mach3: 10:18am On Mar 13, 2013

"I think his arrest and conviction was politically motivated by OBJ to send a message to his opponents" is not the point.
Was he found Guilty of embezzling public funds? YES
Is there any iota of doubt he STOLE public funds which were meant for the people and therefore indirectly/directly deprived them of theirs? NO

Haba, brother and you think such a person should be in a position to do more. Mehn, i really dont know your stake and what u represent but its definitely not a changed Nigeria. God is watching.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by popekncept: 10:19am On Mar 13, 2013
i laugh in pidgin.... its reli called politics. i pray ds merger tin works lipsrsealed..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Mark Zuckerberg Bows To Pressure: Radio Biafra Facebook / Future Governments Will Struggle To Meet Buhari’s Records –Sagay / Lagos, UAE Mull Partnership On Traffic Management, Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.