Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? (8370 Views)

Northern Leaders Demand Pardon For Boko Haram / Presidential Pardon For Major Hamza Almustapha / Alamieyeseigha, Others To Get State Pardon Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by kukus01(m): 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2013
eagle,eye:

Wise man, so in your stupidity you are buying this rubish story that it is the so called members of the Council of State, that approved the pardon?
I SMH for you imbe.cile
Since fools like u dont understand what the council of state stand for, and always ready to blame your failure in life on GEJ go and carry your placards and protest the pardon infront of aso rock and protest it. you this product of a bathroom quickie!!!!
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by otunbacymbal(m): 1:35pm On Mar 13, 2013
state pardon for the oil cabals very soon....
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb:
Some people are educated and can make logical argument while others were just instructed and are still waiting for instructions from their financiers to blame this morning traffic jam on GEJ

^^^
A clear case of mind atrophy, if ever I saw one.

Thankfully, the international media is not as constrained on this matter as their local counterparts.

Nigeria pardons presidential ally - BBC
Nigeria pardons corrupt ex-governor- News24
Nigeria pardons president's benefactor convicted of stealing millions - Times LIVE
Nigeria pardons former political benefactor of president who stole millions as state Governor - The Washington Post

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by eagleeye2: 1:46pm On Mar 13, 2013
kukus01:
Since fools like u dont understand what the council of state stand for, and always ready to blame your failure in life on GEJ go and carry your placards and protest the pardon infront of aso rock and protest it. you this product of a bathroom quickie!!!!

Nigeria pardons presidential ally - BBC
Nigeria pardons corrupt ex- governor- News24
Nigeria pardons president's benefactor convicted of stealing millions - Times LIVE
Nigeria pardons former political benefactor of president who stole millions as state Governor - The Washington Post

I hope all these international media are also blaming everything wrong with their outfit on St. GEJ..... Imbe.cile. Your Father should have just wanked you off... another wasted spe,rm
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by dramendra: 2:03pm On Mar 13, 2013
From every indications this country is failing. Politicians steal and get pardon, but a Yahoo boy collect small money from western union police will make a living hell out of him, the so called boko haram clain to fight the corupt government but are busy killing people that the government don't even care about. If you have a dream in this country, you better wake up, this country is going down. Those who pridict a separation by 2015 will do everything to make it come to pass and become a world hero just like Luther king predicted. Foolish country full of evil men.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Makzylopez: 2:12pm On Mar 13, 2013
[b]Nigerians are ignorantly aiding international media to paint the country the way they like in the international domain. is not as if i support the development. but my little research has made me to understand that is a prerogative power exercised by heads of government all over the globe. for instance, US Democratic President Barack Obama has pardoned 16 people up to this point in his term of office. Among them are:

*James Bernard Banks, of Liberty, Utah, sentenced to two years of probation in 1972 for illegal possession of government property.[21]

*Russell James Dixon, of Clayton, Ga., sentenced to two years of probation in 1960 for a liquor law violation.[21]

*Laurens Dorsey, of Syracuse, N.Y., sentenced in 1998 to five years of probation and $71,000 in restitution for conspiracy to defraud by making false statements to the Food and Drug Administration.[21]

*Ronald Lee Foster, of Beaver Falls, Pa., sentenced in 1963 to a year of probation and a $20 fine for mutilating coins.[21]

*Timothy James Gallagher, of Navasota, Texas, sentenced in 1982 to three years of probation for cocaine possession and conspiracy to distribute.[21]

*Roxane Kay Hettinger, Powder Springs, Ga., sentenced in 1986 to 30 days in jail and three years of probation for conspiracy to distribute cocaine.[21]

*Edgar Leopold Kranz Jr., of Minot, N.D., who received 24 months of confinement and a pay reduction for cocaine use, adultery and bouncing checks.[21]

*Floretta Leavy, of Rockford, Ill., sentenced in 1984 to 366 days in prison and three years of parole for drug offenses.[21]

*Scoey Lathaniel Morris, of Crosby, Texas, sentenced in 1991 to three years of probation and $1,200 restitution for counterfeiting offenses.[21]
[/b]
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 13, 2013
Makzylopez: Nigerians are ignorantly aiding international media to paint the country the way they like in the international domain. is not as if i support the development. but my little research has made me to understand that is a prerogative power exercised by heads of government all over the globe. for instance, US Democratic President Barack Obama has pardoned 16 people up to this point in his term of office. Among them are:

None of those felons had executive powers which provided direct control over the treasury of a state.
None of those felons were political benefactors of Obama.

Against this backdrop, do you see how easy it is to draw parallels between your contribution, here, and the onset of reta.ardation.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Makzylopez: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2013
so what is your argument wiseman, is it that their crimes are unpardonable or what ?
eGuerrilla:

None of those felons had executive powers which provided direct control over the treasury of a state.
None of those felons were political benefactors of Obama.

Against this backdrop, do you see how easy it is to draw parallels between your contribution, here, and the onset of reta.ardation.

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by eagleeye2: 2:38pm On Mar 13, 2013
Makzylopez: so what is your argument wiseman, is it that their crimes are unpardonable or what ?

GEJ, used his position to grant pardon to a Man who grossly looted his state treasury as a Governor.
Are you suporting the institutionalization of corruption in the country. ALAMs should go and hide his face in shame pardon or no pardon he is a Criminal.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 13, 2013
Makzylopez: so what is your argument wiseman, is it that their crimes are unpardonable or what ?

My argument is that GEJ appears to have reached for a new low in his fight against corruption.

The pardon granted to Salisu Buhari back in 2000 was bad enough, but this one clearly sets Nigeria apart as a country that cannot be taken seriously in matters relating to financial probity.

A more upright individual would rather walk away than to be seen spinning yarns intended to provide some kind of smokescreen.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by seyenko(m): 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2013
According to Fela Kuti - dat na Govment Magic
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Makzylopez: 2:57pm On Mar 13, 2013
you are not been objective and sincere here. your feud is just because GEJ is involved. is He the author of the constitution which empowers him to grant pardon with approval from the council of state ?
eGuerrilla:

My argument is that GEJ appears to have reached for a new low in his fight against corruption.

The pardon granted to Salisu Buhari back in 2000 was bad enough, but this one clearly sets Nigeria apart as a country that cannot be taken seriously in matters relating to financial probity.

A more upright individual would rather walk away than to be seen spinning yarns intended to provide some kind of smokescreen.

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by kunlekunle: 3:14pm On Mar 13, 2013
they are reqd for next election
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 13, 2013
Makzylopez: you are not been objective and sincere here. your feud is just because GEJ is involved. is He the author of the constitution which empowers him to grant pardon with approval from the council of state ?

As one who equates the presidential pardon afforded to small-time felons in the US with the image laundering exercise held solely for the benefit of an executive Governor who plundered the commonwealth of his people, you have the gall to talk about objectivity?

Is there any greater testament to how far moral standards have fallen in Nigeria, I wonder?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by dad007(m): 5:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
bravolad: It is very sad and pathetic for those corrupt politicians who were convicted for crimes they actually committed were granted state pardon. They have set a very bad precedence. In developed countries, state pardon is granted to very rare individuals. For instance, if you were wrongly convicted for participating in a coup, you could receive presidential pardon. But in Nigeria, most convicted politicians have been granted state pardon. What signal are they sending to the public? Of course steal, get convicted & receive presidential pardon. Very unfortunate I must confess. Politicians steal with impunity and get away with it.

I dare say Nigeria will continue to wallow in the shackles of underdevelopment with the current crop of leaders who have nothing to offer. It is very obvious that the president is acting out a script, which is the height of incompetence. He has no clue as to how to tackle the numerous challenges facing the country yet he is busy transversing the length & breath of the world which is aimed at wealth accumulation rather than development. I am with you.Dont worry,TIME SHALL TELL A BETTER STORY.

They have no positive response to the problems facing the country in terms of insecurity, economic failure of the country, lack of social amenities, hunger, poverty, unemployment just to mention a few.

It is a big shame that people can steal & go free in this country. Soon, Ibori would be granted state pardon when he serves out his jail term.

We need to rise up & challenge this corruption that has reared it's ugly head against our progress as a people.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2013
I THINK THE BEST THING TO FOR MR PRESIDENT TO DO NOW IS,
1. MAKE A NATIONAL BROADCAST AND ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE OF ALL PRISONERS SERVING IN DIFFERENT PRISONS ALL OVER NIGERIA.
2. DECLARE ALL EX CONVICTS INCLUDING FORMER COUP PLOTTERS (DEAD OR ALIVE),"PARDONED".
3. ASSURE ALL EX AND SERVING POLITICIANS, CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRIES WHO HAVE STOLEN AND HIDDEND OUR MONEY ABROAD TO BRING BACK THOSE MONIES AND INVEST IN ALL SECTORS OF THE ECONOMY AUTOMATICALLY CREATING JOBS FOR THE TEAMING YOUTHS.
4. CREATE AN INVESTMENT FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE IN THE COUNTRY AND DECLARE AMNESTY FOR ALL WARRING FACTIONS OF BOKO HARAM, REMAINDER OF NIGER DELTA MILITANTS, MASSOB, OPC, AND EVERY MILITANT GROUP IN THE COUNTRY.
5. FOCUS ON AGRICULTURE AND POWER GENERATION AND DISTRIBUTION.
6. THEN LEAVE ASO ROCK AND COME BACK TO YENAGOA.
GOD PLS SAVE JONATHAN FROM NIGERIA.......(A TIME BOMB WAITING TO EXPLODE)
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by aidelojestan(m): 11:19pm On Mar 13, 2013
Wether we accept it or not, GEJ is stil d president so he's got d right to do whatever he wishes to do
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by jgatherer(m): 7:45am On Mar 14, 2013
Makzylopez: [b]Nigerians are ignorantly aiding international media to paint the country the way they like in the international domain. is not as if i support the development. but my little research has made me to understand that is a prerogative power exercised by heads of government all over the globe. for instance, US Democratic President Barack Obama has pardoned 16 people up to this point in his term of office. Among them are:

*James Bernard Banks, of Liberty, Utah, sentenced to two years of probation in 1972 for illegal possession of government property.[21]

*Russell James Dixon, of Clayton, Ga., sentenced to two years of probation in 1960 for a liquor law violation.[21]

*Laurens Dorsey, of Syracuse, N.Y., sentenced in 1998 to five years of probation and $71,000 in restitution for conspiracy to defraud by making false statements to the Food and Drug Administration.[21]

*Ronald Lee Foster, of Beaver Falls, Pa., sentenced in 1963 to a year of probation and a $20 fine for mutilating coins.[21]

*Timothy James Gallagher, of Navasota, Texas, sentenced in 1982 to three years of probation for cocaine possession and conspiracy to distribute.[21]

*Roxane Kay Hettinger, Powder Springs, Ga., sentenced in 1986 to 30 days in jail and three years of probation for conspiracy to distribute cocaine.[21]

*Edgar Leopold Kranz Jr., of Minot, N.D., who received 24 months of confinement and a pay reduction for cocaine use, adultery and bouncing checks.[21]

*Floretta Leavy, of Rockford, Ill., sentenced in 1984 to 366 days in prison and three years of parole for drug offenses.[21]

*Scoey Lathaniel Morris, of Crosby, Texas, sentenced in 1991 to three years of probation and $1,200 restitution for counterfeiting offenses.[21]
[/b]
How are all these people related to OBAMA !?!?!?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Edeze(m): 8:47am On Mar 14, 2013
[i][/i] Pls pple should always think critically b4 cming here to ud8. If it were u, u would also have done anything to get what u want and secondly dose u see as ur leaders dn't just take decisions on their own... Stop blaming GEJ bt rather blame National Council of States... And d most important thing is that dy have been stripped of their loots... D only options we should be considering are 1: Release them or 2: Pass a death sentence... So they were right in their actions!!!
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Vires: 11:25am On Mar 14, 2013
Since Alams has repented and he is remorseful, let him take a trip to UK and face the music
The British Judiciary would SURELY GRANT HIM PARDON
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by digospel2: 4:23pm On Mar 14, 2013
To forgive is divine. God does not wish a sinner to die in his sin. Anyone who is not guilty of lie, adultery, fornication, cheating, lesbianism, homosexuality,envy,jealousy e.t.c should first return Alamasiegha back to prison. I give kudos to Mr. President. Those who retired without benefit will begin to enjoy retirement benefit and those who are death their families will be given their death benefit. Thank you Mr. President.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by deviduff(m): 5:40pm On Mar 14, 2013
aidelojestan: Wether we accept it or not, GEJ is stil d president so he's got d right to do whatever he wishes to do
Really? Did u even think b4 u wrote dis?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by olajide8(m): 10:39am On Mar 15, 2013
N-o-n-sense!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aregbesola Declares Free Train Ride For Sallah Celebration / Kwankwaso Best Governor / Law Enforcement Agencies Should Be Allowed To Do Their Work – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.