Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,224 members, 7,860,430 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:56 AM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41786 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 2:41pm On Apr 03, 2008
And all these ignorant people claiming the UK doesn't produce TV shows.Many of the US shows you watch are UK franchises whether its Who Wants To Be A Millionaire or The Office.It reminds me of one girl back in Nigeria who thought that the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire she watches originated in Nigeria.

abeg jare, who watches who wants to be a millionaire. the most popular shows are the sorpanos, the wire, american idol, desperate house wives, small ville, my name is earl etc.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2008
Immigrants By Countries
Republic of Ireland: 494,850
India: 466,416
Pakistan: 320,767
Germany: 262,276
Caribbean: 254,740
USA: 155,030
Bangladesh: 154,201
South Africa: 140,201
Kenya: 129,356
Italy: 107,002

you're still wondering why your little drifting island did not make the list? hmmm. . i wonder, why are more people coming into america? hmmmm. . .is it because there are better jobs? better sanitation? better pay?

GDP for UK:
GDP (nominal) 2007 estimate
- Total $2.398 trillion (5th)

GDP for US
GDP (nominal) 2007 estimate
- Total $13.794 trillion (1st)
since you guys have been screaming all day, i guess we could say because USA has more than 6 times UK's population. . .which is making it better for us anywayz.

and eldee, about the education system in UK. . .this is a quote from wikipedia:
However, as other nations industrialised, coupled with economic decline after two world wars, the United Kingdom began to lose its competitive advantage and heavy industry declined, by degrees, throughout the 20th century.However, fewer citizens of the UK are able to speak a foreign language than in any other EU country except Ireland. This has caused fear that the poor language skills in the UK will have a negative effect on business,

and ehrrrrrrrrrrrm. , about the healthcare given to ppl without papers. . .is it really true? hmmmm, let's see what mr wiki has to say
Each system provides healthcare to their citizens
so i guess, ppl without papers are also considered UK's citizens

and oh my!! did someone mention USA as an isolated country, yest.?
The United States has vast economic, political, and military influence on a global scale, which makes its foreign policy a subject of great interest around the world. Almost all countries have embassies in Washington, D.C., and many host consulates around the country. Likewise, nearly all nations host American diplomatic missions.

the only countries USA isolated itself from are the imperialist countries. .

In 2005, the United States spent $27.3 billion on official development assistance, the most in the world; however, as a share of gross national income (GNI), the U.S. contribution of 0.22% ranked twentieth of twenty-two donor states. On the other hand, nongovernmental sources such as private foundations, corporations, and educational and religious institutions donated $95.5 billion. The total of $122.8 billion is again the most in the world and seventh in terms of GNI percentage
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 2:49pm On Apr 03, 2008
As I said previously, the Americans arrived late to the party on both occassions, the second being only when they had gotten their asses kicked by the Japanese. I would also like to add that in both wars they still weren’t sure which side they supported. When they finally arrived on the UK shores, as usual they made a lot of noise and did very little except to maybe help increase the population by leaving a load of young single woman pregnant…*chuckle*

lol, late on both occasions, please without US aid to Britain during WWI, you naija's in the UK would be screaming hail third reich grin grin. there's video and written evidence of how winston churchill was begging Roosevelt to enter the war. please, who was kicking ass in the normandy?? american,canadian and australian soldiers did most of the work in normandy. as per japan, have u heard of hiroshima, nagasaki and midway island?? and of course, it's known fact that europeans love american men.

Anyway sha go back to eating your over-sized burgers and well done to the Brit guys holding it down

quit with your shakara jare, don't u yankees have burger king, wendy's and mcdonalds over there in the UK. i've never seen one fish and chip iya put shop here in the states. na ice tea we dey drink, not that lipton trash cheesy cheesy

The government spends 44% of the GDP, the top individual income tax rate of 40% is also high, and the top corporate income tax rate is 30%. The Bank of England expects expects real GDP to grow at least 3.0% in 2007, but only 2.4% in 2008.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2008
ELDEEE. . .BACK TO THE EDUCATION TALK

IN UK:

Education

Main articles: Education in England, Education in Northern Ireland, Education in Scotland, and Education in Wales

Each country of the United Kingdom has a separate education system, with power over education matters in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland being devolved. Overall, the UK's official literacy rate (99%[100]) is normal by developed country standards. The Programme for International Student Assessment, coordinated by the OECD, currently ranks the UK's education as the [b]14th [/b]best in the world, being significantly higher than the OECD average.[8] However, fewer citizens of the UK are able to speak a foreign language than in any other EU country except Ireland. This has caused fear that the poor language skills in the UK will have a negative effect on business, and has led to calls for languages to be given priority in education.

IN US:
American public education is operated by state and local governments, regulated by the United States Department of Education through restrictions on federal grants. Children are obliged in most states to attend school from the age of six or seven (generally, kindergarten or first grade) until they turn eighteen (generally bringing them through 12th grade, the end of high school); some states allow students to leave school at sixteen or seventeen.[158] About 12% of children are enrolled in parochial or nonsectarian private schools. Just over 2% of children are homeschooled.[159] The United States has many competitive private and public institutions of higher education, as well as local community colleges of varying quality with open admission policies. Of Americans twenty-five and older, 84.6% graduated from high school, 52.6% attended some college, 27.2% earned a bachelor's degree, and 9.6% earned graduate degrees.[160] The basic literacy rate is approximately 99%.[1][161] The United Nations assigns the United States an Education Index of 0.97, tying it for twelfth-best in the world

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2008
I can see an orgy of Yank ignorance ensuing here.Can't blame them,the President hardly sets a good example.

@Morenike

You failed to give us the links.Maybe you might be able to clarify somethings by yourself.
The Programme for International Student Assessment, coordinated by the OECD, currently ranks the UK's education as the 14th best in the world,
The United Nations assigns the United States an Education Index of 0.97, tying it for twelfth-best in the world

Are these 2 studies the same? One is "coordinated by the OECD" while the other is conducted by the UN.

The government spends 44% of the GDP, the top individual income tax rate of 40% is also high, and the top corporate income tax rate is 30%. The Bank of England expects expects real GDP to grow at least 3.0% in 2007, but only 2.4% in 2008.

The top corporate income tax is 35% in the US compared to 30% in the UK so what is your point? GDP growth for the US, from the latest IMF figures, is estimated at 0.5% for the US for 2008(1/3rd of the lowest estimates for the UK).Again,did you actually research the figures before posting?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by shawn123: 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2008
you guys should stop comparing, it is soooo obvious and everybody knows. why would anybody choose u.k over the states embarassed i find this hard to believe, tell me those who are shouting U.K are joking, pls tell me you are joking.
Tony Blair always did exactly what his boss told him to do, and we all know his boss George Bush. Thesame way the Brits would do like they are told by the Americans lol, cool
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 3:14pm On Apr 03, 2008
The top corporate income tax is 35% in the US compared to 30% in the UK so what is your point?

american companies get a lot of tax breaks.

GDP growth for the US from the latest IMF figures estimate growth of 0.5% for the US(1/3rd of the lowest estimates for the UK).Again,did you actually research the figures before posting?

the US is approaching a recession with the credit crisis but the brits aren't any better.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by shawn123: 3:15pm On Apr 03, 2008
bawomolo:

abeg jare, who watches who wants to be a millionaire. the most popular shows are the sorpanos, the wire, american idol, desperate house wives, small ville, my name is earl etc.   

lol, well said. who watches who wants to be a millionaire, when you have prison break, desparate house wife, and the like of 24.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ Shawn,

You are clueless.

The Prime Minister is now Gordon Brown not Tony Blair.
This is why we think an average American cannot see beyond his nose.
What makes USA better than the UK? I just dunno apart from the lies and the facade u put on MTV. grin grin grin

@ D-reloaded,

How is your dial-up acting today?
I wanna call your landfone. . . . .Pls get off the net so i can get through. grin grin

@ Bawolomo,

The credit crisis has driven y'all down the poverty ladder.
$20 Billion had to be injected into ur economy to save y'all from a huge collapse.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by eldee(m): 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2008
@morenike
Hold that thought, I'll be back this evening. . . wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 3:22pm On Apr 03, 2008
bawomolo:

american companies get a lot of tax breaks.

American companies face,apart from Japan,the largest tax liability in the OECD.Sure,there are tax breaks within certain industries but same applies to the UK and pretty much every western nation.

the US is approaching a recession with the credit crisis but the brits aren't any better.

You are telling me the UK "aren't any better" when all the data show that the economic meltdown is far more acute in the US than in the UK.Research properly before posting.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 03, 2008
@4Play
are you bleeping serious. . , typical. anywaz, i already said i got the link from wikipedia. . .is the truth so hard to bare? anywaz, why dnt you use that free browsing to check it out. . .like is here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

olodo cheesy

the thing is as bad as our econmy gets or will get, do we not get out of it? . , so you guys can wail and cry about the economy, just know that if we go down, you all go down wink

eldee:

@morenike
Hold that thought, I'll be back this evening. . . wink

you berra
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 3:29pm On Apr 03, 2008

American companies face,apart from Japan,the largest tax liability in the OECD.Sure,there are tax breaks within certain industries but same applies to the UK and pretty much every western nation.

american companies seem to benefit a lot more from tax breaks and subsidies. many US states attract business by offering tax breaks.

You are telling me the UK "aren't any better" when all the data show that the economic meltdown is far more acute in the US than in the UK.Research properly before posting.

marginal difference buddy. the US is still the economic hub of the world,the US goes down, asian and european market go down too. your economic growth has slowed down too.

$20 Billion had to be injected into your economy to save y'all from a huge collapse.

stop being jealous u are not getting a dime of the stimulus package
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 03, 2008
man!! Bawomolo, times like this i appreciate your intelligence kiss grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2008
@morenike

You are obviously a poor poster child for the US educational system.Where are the links for the comparative studies on educational standards you just copied and pasted? You are showing us nominal GDP figures when even the latest figures show the UK has surpassed the US in GDP per capita.

bawomolo:

american companies seem to benefit a lot more from tax breaks and subsidies. many US states attract business by offering tax breaks.

This is what you get with American education. grin We are talking of data and you are trying to disguise your erroneous opinion as fact.Wetin be "american companies seem to benefit. . . ."? If you have any stats that show that US companies face lower tax liability than UK companies,please show it or keep your fallacious opinions to yourself.

marginal difference buddy. the US is still the economic hub of the world,the US goes down, asian and european market go down too. your economic growth has slowed down too.
Again,irrelevant opinion.All economists forecasts show the UK will experience significantly stronger growth than the US in 2008 which belies your earlier post.4th quarter annualised GDP growth for the UK was 2.3%(the latest figures),for the US it was 0.6% and you call that "marginal difference).That is almost 4 times the US figure

That the US has a larger economy is besides the point.A slowdown in any major market,whether China or the EU,will cause ripples in the global economy but the issue we were addressing was simple-who has the better economic prospects over the short term-The evidence is overwhelming and indisputably in favor of the UK.

As for slowdowns,inevitably they will arise but not to the extent of the US.The last US recession in 2001 did very little to budge strong growth in the UK.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 3:46pm On Apr 03, 2008
@Morenike09

I see, you are back again with your incoherent illiterate rant on things that you know little about! How old are you? 12?  

Word of advice, if you would like any of your points to be taken seriously then please use your sense and refrain from quoting Wikipedia of all places! Aren’t you aware that anyone can edit that site and spew a whole load of BS on it….lol  

Methinks that the thing really eating you fake yanks out is the fact that yes, there are people in this World who wouldn’t even set foot in the US if you paid them a million dollars to do so!!! Look at the way you and your cohorts are resorting to abuse “Stinking Britons” and “You guys are better of dead” because you obviously can’t take what you dish out! You are all a just a pathetic bunch of sore losers! *smile*

So for all the ignorant dribble that you guys can muster, just accept the fact that not everyone will go ga-ga over shallow things like large burger sizes and being able to buy 5 shirts and pair of jeans for $20 plus having clubs to go to so you can get y’all freak on! LOL! grin

P.S

If you care to be enlightened on the USA’s role in the WWI & II, then I suggest you carry out your research using more reputable sources. I reiterate, The Americans did very little in both wars but as always made a lot of noise, just like you guys are.

Oh yes, I would rather not read your next post where you will surely butcher our English language so please get hold of a dictionary, preferably Oxford or Cambridge and not that rag you guys call Websters. grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 3:48pm On Apr 03, 2008
Thread's getting too serious and boring

Can we get back to making fun of each other's sterotypes please

What did you all have for breakfast for example grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 3:51pm On Apr 03, 2008
Methinks that the thing really eating you fake yanks out is the fact that yes, there are people in this World who wouldn’t even set foot in the US if you paid them a million dollars to do so!!! Look at the way you and your cohorts are resorting to abuse “Stinking Britons” and “You guys are better of dead” because you obviously can’t take what you dish out! You are all a just a pathetic bunch of sore losers! *smile

Taking this thread a little too seriously don't you think? especially since AJ and co are known for such brash humor around here. Cool down. Thread's SUPPOSED to be entertaining

Alagolo you too stop with the wiki nonsense jare and back to clowning.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 3:55pm On Apr 03, 2008
@D-Reloaded

Are you saying interest in economic stats is boring? First time a woman ever pointed that out to me tongue

There is a great Nollywood movie scheduled for 8pm tonight.If you fly over by supersonic jet,you might still catch it. grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 3:56pm On Apr 03, 2008
This is what you get with American education. Grin We are talking of data and you are trying to disguise your erroneous opinion as fact.Wetin be "american companies seem to benefit. . . ."? If you have any stats that show that US companies face lower tax liability than UK companies,please show it or keep your fallacious opinions to yourself.

lol, for some weird reason, u seem to only be focusing on corporate tax.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa592.pdf
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/02/01/business/tax.php

US companies get tax breaks on their foreign profits. i know the state of illinois has given certain company many tax breaks if they create new jobs

anyway, america>>>>UK

you guys aren't even that good in the sport u invented. football
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 3:57pm On Apr 03, 2008
See all these yeye people . . . una no get work abi?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 4:01pm On Apr 03, 2008
D-reloaded:

Taking this thread a little too seriously don't you think? especially since AJ and co are known for such brash humor around here. Cool down. Thread's SUPPOSED to be entertaining

Alagolo you too stop with the wiki nonsense jare and back to clowning.

Who made you judge and jury so that you could decide what is humour or not?

For your information this is my sense of humour and so if the kitchen is too hot for you then get out!  grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Him(m): 4:01pm On Apr 03, 2008
bawomolo:

at least they provide us crappy teams to laugh at.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 03, 2008
see them o. . i dey show them proofs and facts. , them they yab me. , see, if i didn't them dey ask me where i got the resources. . . grin grin grin

kilode, what do you UK people want? US soil? our economy? our global recognition? what?

elosela. , me thinks that beans has been getting too much in your systems. . .anyone ever heard of beans replacing someone's grey cells. , elosela, you berra go to one of them scientist to experiment on you. . .

see this people, they take things so serious. snobby bunch of "bloody" Brits. . .
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by omoge(f): 4:03pm On Apr 03, 2008
"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,

As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "

God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 03, 2008
anywaz, the reason why i posted the wiki facts about education was what eldee said yest. . . grin

so am still waiting for him to answer. . . undecided

like i said again, with the facts smacking them in their faces. . .[size=15pt]USA rules!![/size]
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 4:05pm On Apr 03, 2008
4Play Stfu  angry

I hear that England isnt going to be in the Euro Cup

Is that TRUE?  embarassed tongue
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2008
bawomolo:

lol, for some weird reason, u seem to only be focusing on corporate tax.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa592.pdf
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/02/01/business/tax.php
US companies get tax breaks on their foreign profits. i know the state of illinois has given certain company many tax breaks if they create new jobs
anyway, america>>>>UK

You seem to miss the point.The issue is not the existence of tax "loopholes" for corporations,such tax breaks exist in every nation.The question is whether US corporations face lower tax liability as a whole compared to the UK.There is no evidence to suggest such.Corporate income tax constitutes by far a larger chunk of a corporation's entire tax liability.

Whether its the higher Capital Gains Tax or the healthcare coverage burdens borne by US companies,its clear US companies face a larger tax burden.Thanks to the Democrats,it will get worse!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2008
See fake yanks dey sing anthem.

Let me go and find that thread on AOL BlackVoices where the real Americans were dissing Nigerians in America left, right and centre! Na so you guys dey embarrass Nigerians in America with your shallow fake a$$es!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2008
wait. . . elosela. . .what did UK do in the WWII sef ?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2008
http://www.euro2008info.com/groupe.htm

chai, na croatia and russia show them pepper sad sad sad
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2008
EloSela:

See fake yanks dey sing anthem.

Let me go and find that thread on AOL BlackVoices where the real Americans were dissing Nigerians in America left, right and centre! Na so you guys dey embarrass Nigerians in America with your shallow fake a$$es!

ehrrrrrrrrrrrrm. . . .so when UK were deporting Nigerians out of their country, it was a show of gratitude? undecided

Oluwa o!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25)

10 People You Will Meet In A "Danfo" Bus / UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / Truck Plunges Into Epe River In Lagos, 2 Corpses Recovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.