Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,989 members, 7,859,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 02:23 PM

United States Of America Vs United Kingdom - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (41783 Views)

Poll: Which country would you rather live in, given the choice?

The United States?: 62% (110 votes)
The United Kingdom?: 37% (66 votes)
This poll has ended

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by 4Play(m): 9:11am On Apr 03, 2008
OMO IBO:

thanks u for shedding more light on my point. but the point i want to send home is, a british citizen or british passport holder can travel to more countries than a US citizen or US passport holder with a Visa.

Many of these Yanks here are simply delighted to have been "rescued" from Nigeria.They are like a kid in a sweet shop.If they were in South Africa,they will be singing praises of South Africa.They are not concerned with where they can travel to ,simply being allowed to leave Nigeria is good enough for them and they remain eternally grateful to the US. grin

I don't know whether a British citizen can travel to more countries,I guess that is plausible because of Britain's historical ties.I know Americans can come to Europe without a visa and vice versa.However,the distance and time difference deters a lot(only a quarter of Americans have a passport) from traveling at all.

The key thing for me is the proximity of some of the greatest cities in the world to the UK and the fact that you enjoy much of the same rights as any EU national in a wide variety of countries. The best Americans can do is go to Canada or Mexico,except the few who have the time or money to come to Europe.No wonder many seem to think London is a country. grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by eldee(m): 9:18am On Apr 03, 2008
Please don't say
Can he afford the bride price?
Unless if your parents will accept payments in fish and chips
Me, pay what bride-price, she's only been calling me to help her arrange one invitation letter
She just heard that UK students earn £1000 for just choosing to get a degree.
Let's not talk about what you get for performance.
Smart girl like Toyin, she figured out that she could even take this and go set-up a low-price hospital in the Brooklyn or Compton. cheesy

Toyin jare, ye ma gora e, come to the land where our predecessors have set up a cushion for us grin
If you want, you'll get a free house ooh

Many of these Yanks here are simply delighted to have  been "rescued" from Nigeria.They are like a kid in a sweet shop.If they were in South Africa,they will be singing praises of South Africa.They are not concerned with where they can travel to ,simply being allowed to leave Nigeria is good enough for them and they remain eternally grateful to the US
Don't mind them jare, they'll be talking bout the war in iraq, like it changes the price of a meal in chinese restaurant grin
I can't be too surprised, some Nigerian dude was shouting bout SA on the sports section too
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 9:35am On Apr 03, 2008
Proud to be an American. . .where at least I know I'm free! kiss Everyone should please stay where they are. . .no qualms! cool

God Bless the USA!!!!!!!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 03, 2008
4 Play:

Many of these Yanks here are simply delighted to have been "rescued" from Nigeria.They are like a kid in a sweet shop.If they were in South Africa,they will be singing praises of South Africa.They are not concerned with where they can travel to ,simply being allowed to leave Nigeria is good enough for them and they remain eternally grateful to the US. grin

I don't know whether a British citizen can travel to more countries,I guess that is plausible because of Britain's historical ties.I know Americans can come to Europe without a visa and vice versa.However,the distance and time difference deters a lot(only a quarter of Americans have a passport) from traveling at all.

The key thing for me is the proximity of some of the greatest cities in the world to the UK and the fact that you enjoy much of the same rights as any EU national in a wide variety of countries. The best Americans can do is go to Canada or Mexico,except the few who have the time or money to come to Europe.No wonder many seem to think London is a country. grin

boss, u just put a smile on my face.
2 years ago i was at fort lauderdale. i followed this girl into denny's. as we chatted away she asked where i came from and i told her i came from London (although i don't live in london). she was like 'oh my gosh' i love that country.

Americans think africa is a country. the ones with some brain think London is UK
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by JJay1(m): 10:31am On Apr 03, 2008
UK is 100% better than the US, why check out the exchange rate---> £1=$2.

America claims to be the richest country but unequal distribution of income is massive, many of the victims of hurricane Catrina are still homeless, 2 years after, this simply cannot happen here in the UK.

Check out the "projects" estates in US it can only be compared to Mushin, however there is no council estate in the UK without basic amenities like electricity, hotwater and cold water, gas telephone facilities and are fair in terms of cleanliness, trust me these are luxury in the US

On health issues, in the UK there is a State funded and no matter how poor you are you will still get the same healthcare just as the millionaires but in the US the hospital would not even take a second look at you without the health insurance. In the UK if you have a baby healthcare is free for both mother and child for 1 year whilst its still free for the child until 18 years!!!

The US is rich but a vast number of citizens live in abject poverty that is compared to the poorest countries in the world.

In the summer of 2005, I was in Philadelphia and to my amazement I saw boys and girls of about 10-15years old were hawking bottled water to motorists during school hours, I have live in the UK for 6 years and I know that just can't happen.

I'll choose the UK, then Naija, maybe then US
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by JJay1(m): 10:36am On Apr 03, 2008
Believe this or not, In 2006 I was at a get together in New Jersey and I was introduced as a visitor from the UK, to my amazement one of the american guest actually asked me "what language do they speak in the UK?" How dumb,

Most Americans actually think Africa is one country where people still wear leaves
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 10:40am On Apr 03, 2008
4 Play:

Very valid point.

Furthermore, most of em have to save for 3 years before they can afford to travel to their motherland in Nigeria.
Going to Africa from the USA is never a quick decision for em. Nwando and Almondjoy will need to put in some extra hours to afford such stuffs.
An average American does not travel out of his state. . . .  all they do is pack their fat backsides to MacDonald's and get FAT.

@ Almondjoy,

Cheap rent in London? What part of London is that?
I am very positive that the cheapest one bedroom flat in London is more expensive than a 3 bedroom flat in the USA.
We shell the mighty pounds here not that worthless currency y'all call the dollar. grin grin

@ JJay1,

Please don't belabour the obvious. . . .
An average American is the dumbest individual in the world.
Many of em don't know where Africa is. . . . . . . .To them, Africa is a country in Europe where animals run on the streets.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 03, 2008
JJay1:

Believe this or not, In 2006 I was at a get together in New Jersey and I was introduced as a visitor from the UK, to my amazement one of the american guest actually asked me "what language do they speak in the UK?" How dumb,

Most Americans actually think Africa is one country where people still wear leaves

what da heck? thats some blonde question by the american.

The Jackal:

Very valid point.

Furthermore, most of em have to save for 3 years before they can afford to travel to their motherland in Nigeria.
Going to Africa from the USA is never a quick decision for em. Nwando and Almondjoy will need to put in some extra hours to afford such stuffs.
An average American does not travel out of his state. . . . all they do is pack their fat backsides to MacDonald's and get FAT.

@ Almondjoy,

I am very positive that the cheapest one bedroom flat in London is more expensive than a 3 bedroom flat in the USA.
We shell the mighty pounds here not that worthless currency y'all call the dollar. grin grin

@ JJay1,

Many of em don't know where Africa is. . . . . . . .To them, Africa is a country in Europe where animals run on the streets.

guys guys guys, the 2 of u just made me laugh my ass out.

but i co-sign everything u said.

the british are stingy with the money they make abi? at least they dont have to work for 3 yrs to gooutside their country.

IYA, ur relatives must be living in areas worse that peckham or brixton.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Blatant: 11:11am On Apr 03, 2008
Nigerians in America work 18hours a day: no time to really live their lives. THEY LIVE TO WORK!

How can you say British are stingy when they travel far more than the average American? Naija in America only go to naija once in 5 years whereas we go to naija 2ce/3ce or more every year. When naija in America goes to naija once in 5 years, he spends all his 5yrs savings to impress knowing that he wont be in naija again for a long time.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 03, 2008
Blatant:

Nigerians in America work 18hours a day: no time to really live their lives. THEY LIVE TO WORK!

How can you say British are stingy when they travel far more than the average American? Naija in America only go to naija once in 5 years whereas we go to naija 2ce/3ce or more every year. When naija in America goes to naija once in 5 years, he spends all his 5yrs savings to impress knowing that he wont be in naija again for a long time.
boss, i agree with u. na the same thing we dey yan. someone called Nigerians in Britain stingy. i was trying to be sarcastic but its obvious its not working.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:29am On Apr 03, 2008
The Jackal:

Very valid point.

An average American does not travel out of his state. . . .  all they do is pack their fat backsides to MacDonald's and get FAT.

@ Almondjoy,

@ JJay1,

I think that place was Lewisham are something like that!  The reason I said most of you are suffering there.  Non of you can dare invite an "American" even a Nigerian one to visit you over there.  Walmart just keeps calling you guys instead.  You guys also love to prize everything.  As dumb as you guys are, you come over here and still ask "how much last", with the prizes staring you in the faces! cheesy

I would rather work extra hours over here, than come over there to "window shop" like most of you do.  You spend your free time roaming around stores over there so you can smell like new clothing.  Church rats!

Talking of fashion. . .who has ever heard of a Designer from the UK please.  Thank God for the Italians, French and Spaniards!  Even Belgian made shoes will beat those from the UK anyday!  When did you ever see an item with "Made in UK" on it anywhere in the world?

You shell mighty pounds that make your hearts pound with fear.  I am at work now, out of those so called 18 hrs, my but is on the computer for like 12 of it! cheesy  So that when we do our thing, you can only marvel how.  HARD WORK DOES NOT KILL!  You guys should learn some work ethic and stop banking on your semi-communist economy.  No where in the world would use that your archaic "pound". . .only Nigerians of course. Give me the Euro any day! cool
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:33am On Apr 03, 2008
Let us educate the world what a village the UK is.  I think you guys must be drunk!

Geography
The United Kingdom, consisting of Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland) and Northern Ireland, is twice the size of New York State. England, in the southeast part of the British Isles, is separated from Scotland on the north by the granite Cheviot Hills; from them the Pennine chain of uplands extends south through the center of England, reaching its highest point in the Lake District in the northwest. To the west along the border of Wales—a land of steep hills and valleys—are the Cambrian Mountains, while the Cotswolds, a range of hills in Gloucestershire, extend into the surrounding shires.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108078.html

No wonder you act like a bunch of cow milking farmers! You guys are really the dumbsters here! Villagers! Look at the kinds of names you have over there. Nothing but bushmanism and ignorance! Shire this, shire that! Lazy country bumpkins! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:41am On Apr 03, 2008

http://www.infopleasin the World

Largest countries in the world.

Rank Country Area (square kilometers) 

1 Russia 17,075,400
2 Canada 9,976,140
3 United States 9,629,091
4 China 9,596,960
5 Brazil 8,511,965
6 Australia 7,686,850
7 India 3,287,590
8 Argentina 2,776,890
9 Kazakhstan 2,717,306
10 Sudan 2,505,810
11 Algeria 2,381,740
12 Democratic Republic of the Congo 2,345,410
13 Mexico 1,972,550
14 Saudi Arabia 1,960,582
15 Indonesia 1,919,440
16 Libya 1,756,540
17 Iran 1,648,000
18 Mongolia 1,565,000
19 Peru 1,285,220
20 Chad 1,284,000

UK with all your noise does not come close to Libya in size or economic prosperity. Empty UK vessels! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 11:41am On Apr 03, 2008
@ Almondjoy,

I am not taking this lightly anymore.
When is your next vacation? I want to personally invite u to the UK and see how we roll. . . .
You need to work less and enjoy yourself. . . . All y'all get to do is WORK. . WORK. . and WORK!!!!
18 hours a day is just too tasking. . . . .no wonder Americans die quicker than Brits. grin grin grin grin

Did u just say there are no British designers?
Burberry, Thomas Pink, TM Lewin, Ted Baker, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hackett, Hawes n Curtis?
These are 60-120 pounds shirts not all those $10 Roc-a-wear and Sean John shirts americans wear.
You need to see how ma buddies in America beg me to send quality shirts to em. grin cheesy grin

Comparing the GB Pounds to Euro?
Babes, please pass that spliff u are smoking to the left hand side. grin wink cheesy
The number of EU immigrants gatecrashing into the UK will give u an idea of how the Pound is valued.
Its the highest single denomination in the world as we speak.

1 Like

Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:46am On Apr 03, 2008

Ten most fashionable cities of the world:
1. New York
2. Rome
3. Paris
4. London
5. Milan
6. Tokyo
7. Los Angeles
8. Hong Kong
9. Las Vegas
10. Singapore

http://www.lifeistravel.org/content/184

Thank God only London made the list. Any other hot fashion spots in the UK? tongue Ragamuffins!
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by aboroma: 11:47am On Apr 03, 2008
Americanism for the Americans inside America is good, outside it stinks. Like a rotten egg, it shines outside and stinks inside. Nairalanders don't forget that America and Nigeria are British colonies.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:52am On Apr 03, 2008
The Jackal:

@ Almondjoy,

I am not taking this lightly anymore.
When is your next vacation? I want to personally invite u to the UK and see how we roll. . . .
You need to work less and enjoy yourself. . . . All y'all get to do is WORK. . WORK. . and WORK!!!![/b]18 hours a day is just too tasking. . . . .[b]no wonder Americans die quicker than Brits. grin grin grin grin

Did u just say there are no British designers?
Burberry, Thomas Pink, TM Lewin, Ted Baker, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hackett, Hawes n Curtis?
These are 60-120 pounds shirts not all those $10 Roc-a-wear and Sean John shirts americans wear.
You need to see how ma buddies in America beg me to send quality shirts to em. grin cheesy grin

Comparing the GB Pounds to Euro?
Babes, please pass that spliff u are smoking to the left hand side. grin wink cheesy
The number of EU immigrants gatecrashing into the UK will give u an idea of how the Pound is valued.
Its the highest single denomination in the world as we speak.

Invite who to where? cheesy I don't think I want to ever visit that place again so spare me the gory details.  Those obi-oma tailors you named over there cannot make it anywhere outside your backyard.  Those items can only be found in "thrift stores" over here or bend down pick joints at Idumota or Oshodi!

Sorry, I love to work.  Because it is part of socialization too!  Hanging around Americans will make you want to leave your house everyday to enjoy life while at work.  Americans die faster than Brits?  With all the rotten teeth you have over there?  You are joking right? cheesy

I say that your pound is not a legal tender anywhere in the world only in that you UK! Which value does it have?  As a relic fit for the smithsonian I say.  Move jo! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 03, 2008
Chinekemeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. lewisham ri ri ri! tufiakwa. so when u come to england then na lewsiahm of all places u dey go stay. that explains why u dey rant.

why have u chosen to embarrass ur relatives like this on nairaland? they price clothes even with the price tag on it? that sounds like some lewisham bend down select market to me.

u can't compare our 'shires' to ur 'villes' and 'boulevards'. there something posh about the .shires'. whateverville and backyard blvd sounds tacky to me.

u dont have to re-emphasis the point that we made and acknowledged a few pages ago. yes, the UK is expensive but we still manage to buy stuff in this our expensive land. how many of u 'so called rich and influential' americans spend the kind of money that we spend over here? tell me, how much do u spend when u come to england for holiday? when we go to yanky we shop and almost die because we have the money to burn.

so really what is ur point?
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 11:58am On Apr 03, 2008
Most expensive countries in the world!

World Bank has published the report on world economy development. In the report (2005 International Comparison Program Preliminary Global Report Compares Size of Economies) the data of 2005 are compared, the statistics covers 146 states. Also in the report the price level in the various states on the basis of this calculation is compared and the most and the least expensive countries for life are revealed. If the price level is equal to hundred points, it means, that it is identical to a price level in the USA. If the price level exceeds 100, the country is more “expensive”, than the USA if it is less 100 - less “expensive”. The average price level for the world makes 81 point.

Iceland (has received 154 points),

Denmark, Switzerland, Norway and Ireland are the most expensive to residing and business countries.
The USA (100 points) is on the 20th place,
having conceded to France (115), Germany (111), Japan and the Great Britain (on 118).

The price parameter of Russia is equal to 45 points,
Kazakhstan - to 43,
Georgia - 41,
Armenia - 39,
Belarus - 36,
Azerbaijan and Moldova - 35,
Ukraine - to 33.
Latvia and Lithuania have received on 53 points,
Estonia - 62.
The life in Tajikistan (24 points),
Ethiopia, Gambia, Kyrgyzstan (28 points) and Bolivia is the cheapest.
For comparison, Saudi Arabia has received 64 points,
Egypt - 28,
Venezuela - 55,
Sweden - 124, Turkey - 64, I
srael - 83, Czech Republic - 60,
India - 33, Iran - 30,
China - 42

GB is only more expensive since you can't manufacture anything yourself. Lazy people! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ Almondjoy,

Lewisham? Ohhhhh ma daysssssssssss. . . .  .
Lil wonder u had a horrible experience. . . Lewisham is the equivalent of Oshodi in London.
It is very expensive here but trust me, we pay more because everything around us is quality.

So which would u rather have. . . .100 pounds or $100? grin grin grin
I can bet me balls that even if u were blindfolded, your hands would still grab the 100 pounds.
Like ma friend will say, who no like better thing? grin cheesy grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2008
OMO IBO:

Chinekemeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. lewisham ri ri ri! tufiakwa. so when u come to england then na lewsiahm of all places u dey go stay. that explains why u dey rant.

why have u chosen to embarrass your relatives like this on nairaland? they price clothes even with the price tag on it? that sounds like some lewisham bend down select market to me.

u can't compare our 'shires' to your 'villes' and 'boulevards'. there something posh about the .shires'. whateverville and backyard blvd sounds tacky to me.

u don't have to re-emphasis the point that we made and acknowledged a few pages ago. yes, the UK is expensive but we still manage to buy stuff in this our expensive land. how many of u 'so called rich and influential' americans spend the kind of money that we spend over here? tell me, how much do u spend when u come to england for holiday? when we go to yanky we shop and almost die because we have the money to burn.

so really what is your point?

My point is that it is Nigerians like you who live there! All sufferheads like you. Wetin concern me with UK? grin  The people invited me and I went to see them. . .like you are here making mouth on Nairaland. . .like you will dare show us where you live? cheesy  Na so all of una be jare.  Stop pretending. Yes!  They may be ma relatives and friends and represent your kind over there.  Na so all of una dey live jare.  You think you will see my leg there again? grin

Poor refugees like una!  You can afford to laze around without working hard.  How won't you live in slums? grin I am sure you live worse than they do. Infact most Nairalanders have their ISPs traced to that location! grin Coming here to quote nice places you have never been to.  Don't worry, I will soon use my "moderator" privileges and fish all of you out with your slum addresses. . .including the cyber cafes most of you live in over there above Chinese and Pakistani restaurants over there!  Fake people! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 12:12pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ Almondjoy,

Don't sweat! grin grin
If i were u, i would try and come to the UK again.
Someone like me will not judge the US of A because i stayed in New Orleans for a while . . .
I would ONLY judge based on 3 or 4 other places.

Lewisham is at the lower rung in London. . . . . It's the derrrrrrrrrty South.
Why not try the posh parts of London and see the difference?? cheesy cheesy cheesy
I am sure your friends musta taken u to Primark and Debenhams to shop. tssssk. . . . .tssssk.
You need anutha trip, maite!!!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 03, 2008
almondjoy:

My point is that it is Nigerians like you who live there! All sufferheads like you. Wetin concern me with UK? grin The people invited me and I went to see them. . .like you are here making mouth on Nairaland. . .like you will dare show us where you live? cheesy Na so all of una be jare. Stop pretending. Yes! They may be ma relatives and friends and represent your kind over there. Na so all of una dey live jare. You think you will see my leg there again? grin

Poor refugees like una! You can afford to laze around without working hard. How won't you live in slums? grin I am sure you live worse than they do. Infact most Nairalanders have their ISPs traced to that location! grin Coming here to quote nice places you have never been to. Don't worry, I will soon use my "moderator" privileges and fish all of you out with your slum addresses. . .including the cyber cafes most of you live in over there above Chinese and Pakistani restaurants over there! Fake people! cheesy

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahha. na wa for IYA sha. now we have addressed issues regardin ur relatives, where they live etc etc.
if u must know i dont live in london. hahahahahah. i never lived in london hahahahahah and i dont think i'll ever live in london but guess what what london is one of the places to live. Ask all the russian billionaires wey dey relocate to london and its surroundings.

by the way, 'as a well off american' how much do u spend when u come to england? or how much did u spend the last time u came to england?

N/B i live in nice area and have a nice house if u must know. but lets not go there
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2008
The Jackal:

@ Almondjoy,

Don't sweat! grin grin
If i were u, i would try and come to the UK again.
Someone like me will not judge the US of A because i stayed in New Orleans for a while . . .
I would ONLY judge based on 3 or 4 other places.

Lewisham is at the lower rung in London. . . . . It's the derrrrrrrrrty South.
Why not try the posh parts of London and see the difference?? cheesy cheesy cheesy
I am sure your friends musta taken u to Primark and Debenhams to shop. tssssk. . . . .tssssk.
You need anutha trip, maite!!!!! cheesy cheesy
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha, o boy, u dey crase.
i bet she'd be back in the UK in another 5 yrs.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2008
The Jackal:

@ Almondjoy,

Lewisham? Ohhhhh ma daysssssssssss. . . .  .
Lil wonder u had a horrible experience. . . Lewisham is the equivalent of Oshodi in London.
It is very expensive here but trust me, we pay more because everything around us is quality.

So which would u rather have. . . .100 pounds or $100? grin grin grin
I can bet me balls that even if u were blindfolded, your hands would still grab the 100 pounds.
Like ma friend will say, who no like better thing? grin cheesy grin

Expensive for nothing! Go and find full time jobs and stop importing even grey hair!  I say most of you live in such areas jare.  You will come to Nairaland and be showing us Buckingham palace. . .when you are living in slums.  Even YIMs revealed your locations! grin  I will soon expose all of you.  I don't care if they are ma relatives or friends. . . they repersent the way YOU Nigerians live over there.  PERIOD!  You are not better so please stop "forming"!

Lai lai people.  The reason you can never invite anyone to your places over there and you keep changing ID names on Nairaland so we cannot track you down.  I say your days are numbered, you poverty-stricken refugees! grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by almondjoy(f): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2008
God save una say I don close for work! Lazy people! cheesy
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by TheJackal1(m): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ Almondjoy,

What a way of living!!!!!!
U have closed for work today to quickly get into anutha office. . . .
How many jobs do u work a day? Ma spider senses say 3-4.
Gosh. . . . .I think its about time u relocate.
Errrrrm, tomorrow might be too late, call ur travel agent NOW. wink wink wink
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by EloSela(f): 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2008
Maternity care is the pits in America and whoever is on here trying to sound off about it being good is just lying to themselves.

A woman who has just given birth in the UK gets six months leave with full pay with an option to take another six months off at half pay.  cool In the US up to a pitiful 12 weeks with no guaranteed paid and this only for those who work for larger companies. I know a lady who had to take just 6 weeks!

‘In New York City, Kelsey Goss, a public-school teacher, is trying to build her tutoring business so she and her husband can stay afloat financially when she goes on unpaid maternity leave in October.
"When I tell people that as a teacher I get zero paid maternity leave, they're stunned," she says. "In a job like that, that's about taking care of kids, those are the benefits?" ‘
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-07-26-maternity-leave_x.htm

Also read this: http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10502.php
[quote Born in the USA says]

* Why women are 70% more likely to die in childbirth in America than in Europe

* What motivates obstetricians to use dangerous and unnecessary drugs and procedures

* How the present malpractice crisis has been aggravated by the fear of accountability

* Why procedures such as cesarean section and birth inductions are so readily used [quote][/quote]

TV:

Most of the well known shows in the US are recycled UK ones. ‘Legendary show Sandford and Son’ was based on the UK original ‘Stepford and Son’. ‘Absolutely Fabulous’ was remade as ‘Cybil’, ‘The Antiques Road Show’ remade in the same name, ‘Dear John’ remade as ‘Dear John US’, ‘POP Idol’ as ‘American Idol’, ‘Hell’s Kitchen’, ‘I’m a celebrity get me out of here’, ‘Man about the House’ remade as ‘Three’s Company’, ‘Masterchef’ and ‘Dancing with the Stars’
The list goes on and on. For more information click on this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_market

However there are few examples of US TV made for Brits.

It is only a matter of time before you guys get your own version of ‘Eastenders’ sef….lol!

Undoubtedly, Hollywood is that aspiration of any actor worth their salt, but just because you can make movies it doesn’t make you better than anyone else. Besides for a small country such as Britain, we have have also made more than our fair share lot of classic films that have beaten Hollywood in awards and revenue e.g examples would be Oliver Twist, My Fair lady, The Sound of Music, Ghandi and more recently, The English Patient and The Harry Potter series.

WW2

As I said previously, the Americans arrived late to the party on both occassions, the second being only when they had gotten their asses kicked by the Japanese. I would also like to add that in both wars they still weren’t sure which side they supported. When they finally arrived on the UK shores, as usual they made a lot of noise and did very little except to maybe help increase the population by leaving a load of young single woman pregnant…*chuckle*

The Internet

Sir Tim Berners-Lee is British and he invented the World-Wide Web and also HTML which is allowing you to view this web page and navigate around the net.

The Dollar
It is weak! End of! Had Nigeria gotten their act together and denominated their money, even the Naira would have been kicking the dollar’s a$$ right now. The US owes China $2trillion and so I say give or take a few decades, very soon you guys will be speaking Chinese!…lol

Sense of humour…LOL!

Now why is the these yeye “Americans” always come into such threads each and every time to bytch and slag of someone’s country and city all in the name of yabbing and then the minute they get presented with hard cold facts and home-truths they start whinging:

“You guys don’t have a sense of humour”
or
“You guys take things too seriously”

…LOL
Sour grapes anyone? tongue

Anyway sha go back to eating your over-sized burgers and well done to the Brit guys holding it down  grin fort!, grin
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Frizy(m): 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2008
I'm have been to the U.K a couple of times but not the U.S. Some tell me that some places in the American setting is just a perfect description of naija (I don't mean in appearance but as in mentality). I really want to travel to the U.S and see for myself but my father doesn't travel to the U.S any long because he says they like to ask too much questions in their embassy and at the airport especially when they figure out your name is musli'm. They can even decide to search your. . . lipsrsealed
Maybe is a way of saying they don't like to take chances but I was told the scenerio is often disgraceful. The U.K especially London is a good place, but very expensive you know. I love travelling there for holidays but if I will live somewhere, it's better to live in a country where you know people like your families and not the otherwise. I prefer the United Kingdom. A beautiful place, with not too much hositility
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by shawn123: 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ uk fans
i dont know about all these facts about t.v series of who invented what, the truth is from a normal point of view. UK is soooooo boring, you shouldnt compare uk to the states its like comparing Sudan to South Africa.
Obviously, the clubs in the state are better, finer and better music, American movies are a billion times better (not sure if i can stand british movies), the cities in the states are finer, best of all American women are a billion times finer than the straight looking British women, The British lack dress sense ( please all they wear is addidas tracks and trainers), British accent is irritating (why wld i wanna talk through my nose, i have a mouth dont i?).
British guys are the most boring of all in this world, trust me. They absolutely dont know how to role. Common guys lets not be bias at all, it is soo obvious. Just visit the two and you dont need to argue. Daaaammmmmmnnnn i cant believe anyone would even compare. With all the crazy taxes in the u.k coommmmmonnn,
New York baby anyday any time, beautifull people, lovely clubs, lovely buildings, lovely everything. Wont even knot my tie the British way. I suppose we have British music to lol grin, cant imagine. The only reason why most Nigerians would say they prefer u.k to the state is because they probably werent given visa to the states, British visa is for every
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by Dreloaded(f): 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2008
As for those talking of dental problems,lets face the reality that under the wonderful health system in the US,life expectancy is one of the lowest in the Western world.I guess the Americans want to die earlier with their shiny teeth.What is the point of a full set of dentition on a corpse?

That doesnt anwer my question 4Play. With the so called free dental care and all that why is the UK known for have horrible oral hygiene? Shouldnt they have the best teeth? After all you opeople dont work as many hours as us either so I'd think you'd have time to see a dentist, abi no be so?

Poor refugees like una! You can afford to laze around without working hard. How won't you live in slums? I am sure you live worse than they do. Infact most Nairalanders have their ISPs traced to that location! Coming here to quote nice places you have never been to. Don't worry, I will soon use my "moderator" privileges and fish all of you out with your slum addresses. . .including the cyber cafes most of you live in over there above Chinese and Pakistani restaurants over there! Fake people!

Rofl grin I don die,.
Re: United States Of America Vs United Kingdom by bawomolo(m): 2:39pm On Apr 03, 2008
The best Americans can do is go to Canada or Mexico,except the few who have the time or money to come to Europe.No wonder many seem to think London is a country.

i'm smelling hatorade from afar, an american can travel to jamaica, puerto-rico, guam, the virgin islands, guyana and a host of other places. people forgot that the caribbean and southern america are great tourist destinations. why yall are suffering with high taxes, we dey consoligbadun here in the USA grin grin grin

UK is 100% better than the US, why check out the exchange rate---> £1=$2.

America claims to be the richest country but unequal distribution of income is massive, many of the victims of hurricane Catrina are still homeless, 2 years after, this simply cannot happen here in the UK.

another hater, have a nice cup of hatorade. regardless of ur exchange rate, we still get money pass u.

New calculations by consultancy Oxford Economics show that GDP will reach £23,500 per person in the UK in 2008, beating £23,250 in the US, and also topping the levels in both Germany and France by 8 per cent.

However, since the calculations are at market exchange rates, not what economists call 'purchasing power parity', Britain's consumers cannot necessarily afford the same standard of living as their cousins on the other side of the Atlantic.

'The American consumer still has far stronger purchasing power because of the lower cost of goods and services,' he says.

oh wait, u broke asses can't afford gatorade, what about some free government lipton grin grin

why don't u go rent an apartment in chicago, new york, or california. then come back and spew out this bullshit. all that fish and chips has corroded ur brain cells cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25)

10 People You Will Meet In A "Danfo" Bus / UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / Truck Plunges Into Epe River In Lagos, 2 Corpses Recovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.