Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt (26131 Views)

19,396 Test HIV Positive In Niger State – Perm Sec / Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? / How Will I Know If Am Not Hiv Positive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by galaxi(m): 12:46pm On Mar 18, 2013
Buchiano(m):

U jst said d truth! They drink so much $ ar lazy.
Wich LG ar U @? I served in Gboko.
H.I.V capital...GBOKO.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]I'm very much aware. It still comes down to unsafe intercourse. Straight sex or gay sex. If there's no condom, then it's not safe and they're at risk.[/size]

I agree with the doctor. Your initial post is misleading. The risk is not as high for straight sex as it is for gays, even without protection.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]There's nothing to edit. Unsafe sex is dangerous period. That's the point I'm trying to make. If people have to do it, then they should do so in a safe and responsible manner. It doesn't matter if it's from the front or back. What matters is if it's safe or not.[/size]

Agreed, safe sex is the point and rightly so but that point shouldn't be made at the detriment of the facts.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]. How can the rising number of AIDS be partly attributed to a rising number of youths becoming homosexuals? I fail to see how that mention is remotely relevant. HIV/AIDS is not a "gay disease". Homosexual or not, Nigerians have unsafe intercourse. Even if the number of homosexuals in Nigeria went down, the rate of HIV/AIDS contraction will continue to rise until more people are monogamous and use condoms, which is currently the ONLY contraceptive that can prevent HIV/AIDS if used regularly and properly (excluding abstinence).[/size]

Homos are a potent vector for HIV spread as Gays are naturally promiscuous. There is no love lost between homosexual gay men as the only attraction they have for each other is only to satisfy their depraved sexual urge.

Google Gaëtan Dugas and watch your mouth drop to the floor.

Gaëtan Dugas is wildly referred to as patient- zero.

The major difference btw lesbians and homosexuals is that in lesbian relationships love actually does exist and as such long-term partners exist.

Homos are disgusting
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by delors(m): 12:54pm On Mar 18, 2013
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Chei! Wetin I go find for Gboko ooooooo? Chei! chei! Ewooo! Bad market! I nor even trust this condom self. Chei! 1 in every four girls...chei! Tamio, Terver, Teegu, Dooter, Bad market! I don die! shocked and this yeye people nor fit show us this yeye statistics before I go there abi?

Anyway, I choose to believe that the statistics is wrong as usual...I refuse to accept the statistics....
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Missonas(f): 12:55pm On Mar 18, 2013
Read 1st page of d thread d explanation given by 1 Dr Tony makes sense.

ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Exactly. That's the statement I saw and disagree with.

"Rising number of youths becoming homosexuals = rise in HIV."

Can you honestly say that sounds right? Isn't there a missing puzzle? Let's say I'm homosexual. Does that mean the HIV rate has just risen? Or do I have to partake in something in an unsafe manner with an infected someone, and then contract HIV, for the rate to go up?

Do you see my point now?[/size]
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by jadakiss213(m): 12:57pm On Mar 18, 2013
muktar mtt: if u read d post well dey say Benue I dnt not see ware dey mension any northern state but here u r callyn dem names u trabalistic bigot u will die wit HIV keep foolyn ur self mumu
hey f00l, Benue is no longer a northern state abi? u this aboki sef.later u'ld come here to shout Arewa,Arewa!.If slap that ur wide mouth for u..
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
Patient Zero for AIDS

Gaëtan Dugas (French: [ɡaetɑ̃ dyˈɡa]; February 20, 1953 – March 30, 1984) was a French Canadian who worked for Air Canada as a flight attendant.[1] Dugas became notorious as the alleged patient zero for AIDS, though he is now more accurately regarded as one of many highly sexually active men who spread HIV widely before the disease was identified.

A study published in the American Journal of Medicine in 1984 traced many of New York City's early HIV infections to an unnamed infected homosexual male flight attendant. Epidemiologists hypothesized that Dugas had carried the virus out of Africa and introduced it into the Western gay community.[2]

Dugas is featured prominently in Randy Shilts's book And the Band Played On, which documents the outbreak of AIDS in the United States. Shilts portrays Gaëtan Dugas as having almost sociopathic behavior by allegedly intentionally infecting, or at least recklessly endangering, others with the virus. Dugas is described as being a charming, handsome sexual athlete who, according to his own estimation, averaged hundreds of sex partners a year. He claims to have had over 2,500 sexual partners across North America since becoming sexually active in 1972.[3] In addition, Dugas was legally married in Los Angeles on June 27, 1977 in an illegal attempt to receive United States citizenship.

According to Snopes.com:

Dugas appeared to move between denial that whatever he had could be transmitted sexually ("Of course I'm going to have sex. Nobody's proven to me that you can spread cancer"wink, depraved indifference to his partners' wellbeing ("It's their duty to protect themselves. They know what's going on out there. They've heard about this disease"wink, and a desire to take others with him ("I've got gay cancer. I'm going to die and so are you"wink.[4]
Dugas died in Quebec City on March 30, 1984, as a result of kidney failure caused by continual AIDS-related infections.[5]

The "Patient Zero" term arose in March 1984 after a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study. The CDC began tracking the sexual liaisons and practices of homosexual men in California, New York, and some other states. As Dugas was found to be the center of a network of sexual partners, he was dubbed "patient 0."[2]

[edit]Analysis and criticism

Genetic analysis of HIV provides some support for the Patient Zero theory. Dugas is now believed to be part of a cluster of homosexual men who traveled frequently, were extremely sexually active, and died of AIDS at a very early stage in the epidemic.[6]

However, a number of authorities have since voiced reservations about the implications of the CDC Patient Zero study, and characterisations of Dugas as being responsible for bringing HIV to cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. In the patient zero study, the average length of time between sexual contact and the onset of symptoms was 10.5 months.[2] At the time of the study it was not known that the average length of time between initial infection and AIDS is ten years. While Shilts's book does not make such an allegation, the rumour that Dugas was the principal disseminator of the virus became widespread. In 1988, Andrew R. Moss published an opposing view in the New York Review of Books.[7]

A November 2007 article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences dismisses the Patient Zero hypothesis and claims that AIDS was transmitted from Africa to Haiti in 1966 and from Haiti to the United States in 1969.[8][9]

Robert Rayford has since been confirmed as the first documented victim of HIV/AIDS in North America,[10] having died at age 16 in May 1969. He reported having experienced symptoms since 1966.

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 12:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
^^^ Tufiakwa
Gay should b burnt, I look down on such animals.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by wilfrik200(m): 1:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
Donalð Genes:
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!! No wonder their Genes are semblance of each other!! I think the overall environment(overtime) and the food there is affecting these people and that is what is making their sex hormones drive so astronomical hiqh and automatically,the genes are been passed on from First Filial Generation to the Present..it's like that and that's what am seeing

Do you rmber the local medicine (sex stimulator) sold by these benue people..... I had one benue girl in mind but i have to pick race before something stupid happens...
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by LongOne1(m): 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
To all condom adherents, condom use does not eliminate the risk, they use phrases like ‘highly effective with consistent and correct use’, ‘reduce the risk’, ‘high degree of protection’. What they forget is that the ‘heat of the moment’ can turn the smartest person on the planet to a blockhead using them inconsistently or incorrectly. The best way is still Abstinence, followed by monogamy, then finally condoms.

mobuch: This is a disaster,
Any benue people in the house?
We want to see you comments

Lol, okay, I am 50% Benue and I have commented. Now, what are you going to do, shoot me?
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by zoedicus: 1:07pm On Mar 18, 2013
make i kuku remain single if na 4rm benue my wifey go kom o.
actually, i wl hv to consult my oga at the top b4 i decide. Dazz all.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2013
Missonas: Read 1st page of d thread d explanation given by 1 Dr Tony makes sense.

[size=13pt]Does "makes sense" now substitute for truth? His post was partial truth, partial biased opinion. Yes, it's a fact that tissue tears during back door sex. However, until someone can prove to me that the composition of a woman's back door is different than that of a man's, then I will remain saying that there is no difference between homosexual contraction of HIV via back door and heterosexual contraction of HIV via back door.

"More gays" does NOT equal more HIV. If you must be intimate, straight or gay, then use protection and stop blaming gays to make yourselves feel better. The truth is that the vast majority of HIV cases in Benue, Nigeria, and Africa are those of heterosexuals, particularly those in polygamy. The secretary's mention of gays was unnecessary and distracting. Nigerians will focus on eradicating "gay-ism", the same way government quickly enacted a law to persecute gays, meanwhile the primary cause that's endangering millions remains unsolved.[/size]
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by agohavivi(f): 1:17pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]As terrifying as this news is, it was something else that caught my eye. How can the rising number of AIDS be partly attributed to a rising number of youths becoming homosexuals? I fail to see how that mention is remotely relevant. HIV/AIDS is not a "gay disease". Homosexual or not, Nigerians have unsafe intercourse. Even if the number of homosexuals in Nigeria went down, the rate of HIV/AIDS contraction will continue to rise until more people are monogamous and use condoms, which is currently the ONLY contraceptive that can prevent HIV/AIDS if used regularly and properly (excluding abstinence).[/size]
unfortunately, the chances of males contacting the virus increases by four in the case of an homosexual relationship unlike the heterosexual relatiopnship. This is so because in an heterosexual relationship, the female organ is naturally lubricated and as such there is less friction unlike homosexual relationship. This is the reason why a man who has been having steady sexual contact with a positive woman for over a year might not contact the virus but same cannot be said of a woman if the situation is reversed. This is so because women are more vulnerable to contacting the virus through sex.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2013
What is the literacy rate there? I think that is a whole state being affectd
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by StFrank2(m): 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2013
naijathings: my brother serving there says corpers are even scared of their fellow corpers.. LMFAO
In such case, no quarrel or fight with anyone o or else e go be like SA people dem wen be say if u fight with dem... Na to carry sharp object cut themselves n cut d opposite too.. I will advice to stay out of trouble o
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 18, 2013
agoha_vivi: unfortunately, the chances of males contacting the virus increases by four in the case of an homosexual relationship unlike the heterosexual relatiopnship. This is so because in an heterosexual relationship, the female organ is naturally lubricated and as such there is less friction. Unlike homosexual relationship. This is the reason why a man who has been having steady sexual contact with a positive woman for over a year might not contact it but same cannot be said of a woman if the situation is reversed because women are more vulnerable to contacting the virus through sex.

[size=13pt]The chances of males contacting the virus increases by four in the case of a homosexual relationship assuming no condoms were used.[/size]

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 18, 2013
'On paper', those living with HIV/AIDS in Benue state may be around 1 million people, but 'Off paper', those living with HIV/AIDS in Benue state is in the neighbourhood of 1.8 million people and counting.

The highest killer deseases in benue state are :
a: hiv/aids
b: Typhod - because they have no good water channel.
c: witchcraft.

No part of benue state is exempted.
From *Tiv sad40 percent of the population )
*Idoma : (30 percent of the population)
*igede : (18 percent of the population )
*igbo : (7 percent of the population)
*hausa : (3 percent of the population)
*nigerians : (1 and half percent of the population)
*foreigners : (half percent of the population)
hiv/aids is in every nook and cranny of the state.

The honourable secretary ( a woman i respect so much) is wrong with her estimation because 70 percent of the population of benue state shy away from going to the hospital and the woman's estimation is based on hospital statistical data.

From makurdi to katsina ala, obi, Vandelya, Gwer east, Gwer west, Wannune, Tarka, Alaede, oturkpo, Otukpa, ugbokpo, Ologboche, Iga,Agatu, the case is the same.

As a matter of urgency, the fed. Govt. Of Nigeria should declare a state of emergency in benue state in regards to HIV/AIDS. And they all need our help.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Does "makes sense" now substitute for truth? His post was[b] partial truth, partial biased opinion.[/b] Yes, it's a fact that tissue tears during back door sex. However, until someone can prove to me that the composition of a woman's back door is different than that of a man's, then I will remain saying that there is no difference between homosexual contraction of HIV via back door and heterosexual contraction of HIV via back door.

"More gays" does NOT equal more HIV. If you must be intimate, straight or gay, then use protection and stop blaming gays to make yourselves feel better. The truth is that the vast majority of HIV cases in Benue, Nigeria, and Africa are those of heterosexuals, particularly those in polygamy. The secretary's mention of gays was unnecessary and distracting. Nigerians will focus on eradicating "gay-ism", the same way government quickly enacted a law to persecute gays, meanwhile the primary cause that's endangering millions remains unsolved.[/size]

And your's is the truth, total truth and nothing but the truth grin grin grin. I will say it again you can make your point without distorting the facts.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by idupaul: 1:26pm On Mar 18, 2013
alyarmouk: its high time the people of benue state start cautioning their govts for these gross abuse.
all in the name of getting a larger chunk of USAID funding you label your people HIV POSITIVE... thats disheartning!
its quite obvious the country pays no attention to population and statistics, so I wonder where this biopsy of the benue state govt is coming from.

Dats all
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Buchianom(m): 1:26pm On Mar 18, 2013
galaxi:
H.I.V capital...GBOKO.

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by agohavivi(f): 1:28pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]The chances of males contacting the virus increases by four in the case of a homosexual relationship assuming no condoms were used.[/size]
Thanks. I very much agree with you.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 18, 2013
Donxavier: And your's is the truth, total truth and nothing but the truth grin grin grin. I will say it again you can make your point without distorting the facts.

[size=13pt]Well why can't anyone dispute it with facts? I asked if more gays = more HIV contractions and a member's response was the secretary's assumption was safe to make. Were we not just attacking Commandant Shem for not being able to recite his organization's URL? Why are people defending this one's err?

That was a rhetorical question. I know the answer.[/size]
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by DEEDEE111(m): 1:44pm On Mar 18, 2013
Dr.Tony:

If you understand †ђε pathophysiology of HIV then you will know why homosexual especially Male homosexuals are at a higher risk, †ђε Rectum(anus) has dense blood supply & is prone to tear on friction with any object, be it penis, this because †ђε epithelium of †ђε proximal part of †ђε rectum was not made for friction unlike that of †ђε vagina that is stratifed squamous epithelium specially designed for friction, so when there a break in †ђε epithelium of †ђε rectum it exposes †ђε capillaries there and hence tђε HIV is transmitted so easily.

Have you also forgotten that virus was first found among homosexuals in †ђε USA in †ђε early 80's.get your facts & epidemology studies right before mis-informing thousands of masses & further encouraging gays thereby increasing †ђε prevalence of this immune killer.
. U Beat me 2 it Dr Tony
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Well why can't anyone dispute it with facts? I asked if more gays = more HIV contractions and a member's response was the secretary's assumption was safe to make. Were we not just attacking Commandant Shem for not being able to recite his organization's URL? Why are people defending this one's err?

That was a rhetorical question. I know the answer.[/size]

I'm talking of the Doc. I believe he said the risk of contraction among homosexual men was higher and that's a fact. If the gay men community increased in benue, then we should see the correlation.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Missonas(f): 1:46pm On Mar 18, 2013
[quote author=ogugua88]

[font=Garamond][size=13pt]Well why can't anyone dispute it with facts? I asked if more gays = more HIV contractions....
Y dont u add ur initial statement ....[quote author=ogugua88]

[b]assuming no condoms were used.
All we have is assumptions until we do a field work...
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
Hmm, Quite terrifying that figure.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by lawizle(m): 2:43pm On Mar 18, 2013
Samelfisha: Those pple Der gals so much luv sex dy dnt care who u ar dy jst gv it to u...

I even hear sey dem galz get testicles...
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by rill: 3:01pm On Mar 18, 2013
I tink i understand a bit of Ogugua88 arguement here. D anatomy of a male's and female's an.us is basically d same. so d chances of contacting HIV during homosexual(gay men) and heterosexual intercourse shud almost b d same. And in fact it has been said dat d chances r higher for a woman to contact HIV from an infected man dan vice versa. So women r at a higher risk here.
Buh one tin dat beats all dis stats is dat, an.al se.x is far more rampant among gay men dan heterosexuals. An heterosexual cn choose to have vag!nal se.x rather dan going an.al buh in d case of gay men, its but an.al se.x alone. Now u cn easily preach d gospel of protection here buh der is a high risk factor of condom's breaking during anal se.x dan vag!nal se.x, owing to d lesser lubrication in d an.us. So wit all dis points i want u to know dat increase in gay men wud automatically increase HIV rate in d society.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Biafrarep(m): 3:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
Morgan1092: Dats just exactly my fear. Am currently in Gboko, Benue state. But no runing of shows. Chai!
BE CAREFULL! While we were in the university, some couple of years ago, we(four of us) went for our friend/course mates elder brothers wedding at Gboko, because we appeared crisp, many of the girls kept making passes at us though I wasnt interested but one of us exchanged no with one of them and later invited her in the evening, before 20 minutes of her arrival, they went into the inner room, after having sex with her, my guy came out to inform us that the girl was willing to do with us but I declined. When the girl left I asked my guy if he used condom and to my shock he said no! Now I cant have sex in Benue, even with condom.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 3:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=14pt]That's almost 25% of the state. It means 1 in every 4 people you see in Benue are HIV positive.[/size]

[size=14pt]Also note that this is a number of people who tested. Not the actual population or even a significant number of the population becouse Nigeria has the lowest number of people who go for HIV testing. SEE BELOW AND YOURSELF!

THIS IS THE TRUE STATE OF NIGERIA'S AIDS STATUS: ( N/A)

In Nigeria there is a distinct lack of HIV testing programmes. In 2010 there was only 1.4 HIV testing and counselling facilities for approximately every 100,000 Nigerian adults and only 11.7 percent of women and men aged 15-49 had received an HIV test and found out the results. 24 25 This shows how desperately the government needs to scale up HIV testing services. Whilst an estimated 2.2 million people aged 15 years and above received HIV testing and counselling in 2010, this amounts to only around 31 people per 100,000 of the total adult population. 26 Moreover, HIV testing and counselling of pregnant women is central to the prevention of mother-to-child transmission, yet this remains extremely low with only 1 in 7 pregnant women receiving it in 2010. The uptake of HIV testing among most-at- (read further for yourself) [/size]

http://www.avert.org/aids-nigeria.htm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide In Kano Over Ex-wife’s Remarriage / False Awakenings: A Dream Within A Dream / Man Collapses And Dies While Driving In Gombe State (Photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97