Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt (26130 Views)

19,396 Test HIV Positive In Niger State – Perm Sec / Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? / How Will I Know If Am Not Hiv Positive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by ynas002(m): 3:16pm On Mar 18, 2013
it shows the high level of ignorance across the state!!!
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by bokohaman: 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2013
If I'm to be a corper serving in benue, I will never risk going to any barbing salon over there to have my hair-cut. Better still, I will go there with my personal clipper. Else I will have to keep an afro throughout my service year... grin
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 3:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Emekamex: This is terrifying. Warning to all corpers serving in benue.

[size=14pt]The problem with HIV is you cannot point it away from your direction, what you see afar could be even worse closer to you. This is a real TEST YOURSELF FIRST desease. Hence the slogan " IT BEGINS WITH YOU"

You cannot warn others you must test yourself!!!

A lot of HIV/AIDS EDUCATION is needed in Nigeria.[/size]

1 Like

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 3:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
django1:
I thought you are a medical personnel? Don't you know AIDS is more prevalent among gays?

Homosexual men 44 -86 times more likely to be infect with HIV:  "In 2007, MSM [Men Sex with Men] were 44 to 86 times as likely to be diagnosed with HIV compared with other men, and 40 to 77 times as likely as women."

http://carm.org/statistics-percentage-population-hiv-infected

[size=14pt]Have you also checked that more women are infected with HIV/AIDS than men? Becouse there are still a million times more heterosexual relationships than homosexual relationship. In a society like Nigeria that prohibits homosexuality then there should be far less HIV/AIDS cases involving women and children if the main culprit was homosexuality.

So Ogoggua is 100% correct, stop pointing HIV/AIDS away from yourselves, everyone is a potential carrier of the virus and as long as you sleep with a number of people who inturn sleeps with a number of people you are as lethal as any other gay person who sleeps with different partners. NO EXCUSE!

[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 3:47pm On Mar 18, 2013
Dr.Tony:

If its so madam, so kindly edit your previous post as it might be mis-leading. †ђε chances of getting †ђε virus from unsafe anal intercourse far out-weighs that of contacting it by vaginal intercouse by a hundred fold.
Thanks once again.

[size=14pt]I also think you are mis-leading people to think if they only have sex with women their chances of getting the virus are are less by a hundred folds

Now you edit your post! This is not a desease of comparison it is a fatal one. It only takes one exposure whether you homo, hetero, bisexual once again, IT BEGINS WITH YOU! [/size]

2 Likes

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Klinee: 4:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]The chances of males contacting the virus increases by four in the case of a homosexual relationship assuming no condoms were used.[/size]
u talk like animal al d time.100% sure dat the condom must tear in any homosexual.stop talkin rubbish homo is vry bad ok.the only solution is nigeria should make gay death penalty(jungle justice) all this tins will stop
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Iykeponti(m): 4:08pm On Mar 18, 2013
Na normal thing be that.... there's nothing wrong by going back through dsame way u came , everything in d world now is all about sex-sex sex . Na price we dey pay so....
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by 190theclown: 4:19pm On Mar 18, 2013
hehehe thats where my ex was posted to

i hope shes caught it by now wink wink
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by omega25red(m): 4:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Klinee: u talk like animal al d time.100% sure dat the condom must tear in any homosexual.stop talkin rubbish homo is vry bad ok.the only solution is nigeria should make gay death penalty(jungle justice) all this tins will stop
you are the one typing like an animal with your jungle justice. I don't co sign on homosexuality but saying someone should be killed because of what they do in their bedroom makes you an animal with no morals.

@ topic dayuuuuuum 1 million people shocked shocked that state is a floating petri dish full of viruses. they need funding for the education of the masses in that state and they also need to seriously start a free condom program.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by kelvin1191(m): 4:23pm On Mar 18, 2013
Chaaai!!! So my frnd no get beta plans 4 me dats Y he has been asking me to get a girlfriend since i came back home 4rm kaduna 4 my I.T. (1:5)
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Venchy: 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2013
Staggering number....what a waste of life, this is what ignorant caused some people, I like skin to skin and a dier country with no medical facilities.

So what the Bleep are this CROOKS in government doing, BUSY FILLING THEIR POCKET while the country keeps going down.

Mother fucker, greedy black bastard.

I wish politician are amongst this lots.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Ofuks(m): 4:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
caesaraba:

Like you, I'm also Idoma from Benue. Although the statistics may have been exaggerated, it isn't far from the truth (especially in the rural areas).

Still trust the Suswan - led govt to maximize this for personal gains though.

I'd like your opinion on this. Thanks.

I agree with you that sexual promiscuity is especially high in the rural areas and in my opinion due largely to ignorance and the quest to belong to a perceived cool generation. However, I don't believe that the sexual proclivity of Benue people is different from any other tribe in Nigeria. I have resided in different zones of this country and related with folks from different climes and I find some of the comments here laughable. I am certain that this statistics is a brilliant idea to attract foreign aid and make some folks smile to the bank.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by ckkris: 4:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
Dygeasy: Probably their S.€.x drive is high, save for the fact that 2face is from benue statecheesy

How many children has 2Face from how many different women?
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Biafrarep(m): 5:01pm On Mar 18, 2013
sweetcheecks:

[size=14pt]Also note that this is a number of people who tested. Not the actual population or even a significant number of the population becouse Nigeria has the lowest number of people who go for HIV testing. SEE BELOW AND YOURSELF!

THIS IS THE TRUE STATE OF NIGERIA'S AIDS STATUS: ( N/A)

In Nigeria there is a distinct lack of HIV testing programmes. In 2010 there was only 1.4 HIV testing and counselling facilities for approximately every 100,000 Nigerian adults and only 11.7 percent of women and men aged 15-49 had received an HIV test and found out the results. 24 25 This shows how desperately the government needs to scale up HIV testing services. Whilst an estimated 2.2 million people aged 15 years and above received HIV testing and counselling in 2010, this amounts to only around 31 people per 100,000 of the total adult population. 26 Moreover, HIV testing and counselling of pregnant women is central to the prevention of mother-to-child transmission, yet this remains extremely low with only 1 in 7 pregnant women receiving it in 2010. The uptake of HIV testing among most-at- (read further for yourself) [/size]

http://www.avert.org/aids-nigeria.htm

No, the 1 million HIV carriers that was mentioned in the article is total estimate, both those that tested and those that did not. Frankly, I see this estimate as grossly exagerated, though Benue does have a hige prevalence rate but not as presented. It is not rocket science to decipher that this estimate is wrong. Now simply consider the demography, if Benue population is 4 million+, thats including the aged,nuns,disabled and the infants(including mother to child) and yet the ratio falls at 1:4 i.e overall, now considering the fact that over 7O% of HIV infections is through se.x then when you now extrapolate with the sexually active bracket, you'll now find out that the ratio now falls to around 1:2! Now is this feasible?? If it is, then we have a disaster on our hands and Benue is worse than Botswana!!!
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by caesaraba(m): 5:09pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ofuks:

I agree with you that sexual promiscuity is especially high in the rural areas and in my opinion due largely to ignorance and the quest to belong to a perceived cool generation. However, I don't believe that the sexual proclivity of Benue people is different from any other tribe in Nigeria. I have resided in different zones of this country and related with folks from different climes and I find some of the comments here laughable. I am certain that this statistics is a brilliant idea to attract foreign aid and make some folks smile to the bank.

Good to get ur point of view. I believe the reason the statistics are so high is because Mrs. Alaga is trying to borrow a leaf from Mrs. Mariah Iduh (guinea worm era) in order to increase counterpart funding from USAID and co. You'll agree with me that a lot of people now come out for treatment without feeling shame and this has really curbed the rate of HIV - related deaths. As stated here earlier by one of the Wazobian air-heads, there are many heart-to-heart centers in various areas and that's as a result of increased counterpart funding so no need to fret over such comments.
And as for the issue of promiscuity, the ignorance on this thread provides a comic relief. Peace.

1 Like

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Malubi(m): 5:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
Azonto is the best music for this Topic.
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Biafrarep(m): 5:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
190-the-clown:
hehehe thats where my ex was posted to

i hope shes caught it by now wink wink
WTF! Are you a saddist? Please leave the poor girl alone, jilting you is not the end of the world, there are many girls out there!
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Biafrarep(m): 5:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Venchy: Staggering number....what a waste of life, this is what ignorant caused some people, I like skin to skin and a dier country with no medical facilities.

So what the Bleep are this CROOKS in government doing, BUSY FILLING THEIR POCKET while the country keeps going down.

Mother fucker, greedy black bastard.

I wish politician are amongst this lots.
You sound like a white supremacist! Thats a racist rant!!
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by aletheia(m): 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88:
[size=13pt]Exactly. That's the statement I saw and disagree with.

"Rising number of youths becoming homosexuals = rise in HIV."

Can you honestly say that sounds right? Isn't there a missing puzzle? Let's say I'm homosexual. Does that mean the HIV rate has just risen? Or do I have to partake in something in an unsafe manner with an infected someone, and then contract HIV, for the rate to go up?

Do you see my point now?[/size]
Stop being pedantic. How many homosexuals engage in safe rectal intercourse (whatever that means)? It has been proven again and again that the prevalence of HIV infection is much higher among homosexuals. Your basic epidemiology should tell you that if the practice of homosexuality rises in the general population, then it's going to drive the prevalence up unless some intervention is brought to bear on the situation. So yes: "Rising number of youths becoming homosexuals = rise in HIV."
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 18, 2013
Emekamex: This is terrifying. Warning to all corpers serving in benue.
For those who have ears!! I served in Benue and sex in Benue τ̲̅ȍ them is like a handshake.We were warned right from camp about the high rate of HIV there.I think this came about due τ̲̅ȍ their ancient practice of offering Sex as kola τ̲̅ȍ visitors.So bad that the Federal medical centre treats more HIV cases than Malaria and typhoid,so •̸№ suprise its that bad now!!! Τ̲̅ȍ be forewarned is τ̲̅ȍ be.........!

1 Like

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Bashoruntolu(m): 7:13pm On Mar 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Benue is now the official HIV/AIDS capital of Nigeria.

kiss

Two whores around me! They both came 4rm d capital city. Haa, I do mistake ooo
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 18, 2013
HIV/ AIDS IS REAL
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by kollytin(m): 7:31pm On Mar 18, 2013
Lobatan!
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 7:37pm On Mar 18, 2013
Biafra rep: No, the 1 million HIV carriers that was mentioned in the article is total estimate, both those that tested and those that did not. Frankly, I see this estimate as grossly exagerated, though Benue does have a hige prevalence rate but not as presented. It is not rocket science to decipher that this estimate is wrong. Now simply consider the demography, if Benue population is 4 million+, thats including the aged,nuns,disabled and the infants(including mother to child) and yet the ratio falls at 1:4 i.e overall, now considering the fact that over 7O% of HIV infections is through se.x then when you now extrapolate with the sexually active bracket, you'll now find out that the ratio now falls to around 1:2! Now is this feasible?? If it is, then we have a disaster on our hands and Benue is worse than Botswana!!!

REALLY NIGERIA WITH THIS KIND OF ATTITUDE WILL BE THE GROUND ZERO OF A BUBANIC PLAGUE ONE DAY BECOUSE OF THE IGNORANCE, THE "I KNOW IT ALL" ATTITUDE AND A DENIAL DELUSION WORD!

NOW LETS SEE WHAT THE POST SAYS AS FACTS:

contactmorak: The Benue State government has disclosed that over one million out of the 4.5 million population in the state have been infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

This was made known at the training of media professional on HIV/AIDS held at the Conference Hall, Ministry of Information, Markurdi, Benue
State, on Thursday.

The Executive Secretary, Benue State Action on Control of AIDS (BESACA), Mrs. Grace Wende, in a paper entitled “Basic facts on HIV/AIDS,”[size=14pt]said that about 400,000 children living with the virus have been placed on antiretroviral drugs (ARV), adding that 708,640 adults are living with the disease. [/size]

Based on the statistics, about two out of five people in the state are carriers of the disease, with women having it more than men.

“In Benue State, the number of adults infected with HIV/AIDS was 708,640, out of which 21,259 were new infections in 2011. In the same year, 17,139 women were found positive.
The number of children requiring ARV was 398,888,” she said.

Mrs Wende cited the attitude of the people of the state to unprotected sex and the rising number of youths becoming homosexuals as factors responsible for the rise in the scourge.
Speaking further, Mrs. Wende noted that many men who flock around ladies and engage in unprotected sex also transmit the virus to their unsuspecting wives.
[b][size=14pt]

Please note the red bolded, these are real numbers 400K children & 700K adults who have been tested and were positive.

Where does it say total population estimate? Or any estimate for that matter?

The rest of the gibberish about money and this and that will take you straight to helll if you do not refrain from trivialising something that could kill a 2/5 of a population and more. Please this note a joke. Imagine Nigeria will always be behind in health issues. Some countries got rid of Polio more than 40 years ago and Nigeria is still relactanctly dealing with this. 40 years from now HIV/AIDS will be a thing of the past in the rest of the world and Nigeria will be when they start facing the truth about it. Word! Look at history.

YOU could even be worse than Botswana becouse Botswana is dealing and curbing its epidermic and a lot of you are here arguing about everything else except reality meaning you are still very far with dealing with the reality of this disaster.
[/size][/b]
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by autchman144(m): 7:49pm On Mar 18, 2013
7.5million HIV +ve in Nigeria, 1million of them in benue. Interesting
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by sweetcheecks(f): 7:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
aletheia:
Stop being pedantic. How many homosexuals engage in safe rectal intercourse (whatever that means)? It has been proven again and again that the prevalence of HIV infection is much higher among homosexuals. Your basic epide kissmiology should tell you that if the practice of homosexuality rises in the general population, then it's going to drive the prevalence up unless some intervention is brought to bear on the situation. So yes: "Rising number of youths becoming homosexuals = rise in HIV."

[size=14pt]Why the is the highest number of infection is that of women And just above a half of the adults numbers are children Were they molested by these homosexuals
Do not let hate blind you and plunge you into helll. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR GET YOUR PARTNER, FAMILY AND FRIENDS TESTED THAN ARGUING NONSENSE ON THE INTERNET. IT BEGINS WITH YOU! undecided[/size]
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by peterson02(m): 8:05pm On Mar 18, 2013
HIV/AIDS TSUNAMI
Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by Nobody: 8:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]As terrifying as this news is, it was something else that caught my eye. How can the rising number of AIDS be partly attributed to a rising number of youths becoming homosexuals? I fail to see how that mention is remotely relevant. HIV/AIDS is not a "gay disease". Homosexual or not, Nigerians have unsafe intercourse. Even if the number of homosexuals in Nigeria went down, the rate of HIV/AIDS contraction will continue to rise until more people are monogamous and use condoms, which is currently the ONLY contraceptive that can prevent HIV/AIDS if used regularly and properly (excluding abstinence).[/size]
dats it sis. Our people stil have a long way to go. Everyone was busy campagning and building structures while d people are dieing. Who blamed d disease increase on homosexuality? Nonsense! 'Onye ulo ya na-agba oku anaghi achu oke'. We av illiterates as president and senators, and such low standard nation would always put off a spurious theory to delicate matters. America remain my no.1 country in d world. If u wanna undastand a complete nation, take a view at America. This kinda issue shuld b a frivolous one 4 them, as their theory ar properly made by literate executives and senators.

1 Like

Re: 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt by bank2k4real(m): 8:41pm On Mar 18, 2013
I think its high time we developed an anti virus to help delete this virus before it speeds to the entire system(PC)(naija)....where are the gurus, let's start work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide In Kano Over Ex-wife’s Remarriage / False Awakenings: A Dream Within A Dream / Man Collapses And Dies While Driving In Gombe State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.