Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (486946 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Mystiqme: 10:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
Happy birthday, OjaP.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 11:01pm On Apr 12, 2013
OjaP:

Thanx dear. I just clocked 20 grin grin grin grin
20? shocked Weren't you and Obasanjo classmates?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:11pm On Apr 12, 2013
Mystiqme: Happy birthday, OjaP.

Thanx a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ms Nas:
20? shocked Weren't you and Obasanjo classmates?

Na you and Rolling-dollar go be mate....lol #troublemaker gringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 11:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
Thank you so much.
I still have a long way to go. God and Luck on my side i will get there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 11:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
OjaP:

Na you and Rolling-dollar go be mate....lol #troublemaker gringringrin

tongue I'm not a troublemaker angry lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 12:07am On Apr 13, 2013
OjaP:

Thank you so much bro. I say a big Amen to the prayers.

Congratulations to you again.

Thanks bro!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eduson002(m): 5:21am On Apr 13, 2013
Hbd OjaP,wish U̶̲̥̅ llnp!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:41am On Apr 13, 2013
Happy birthday, OjaP. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 10:59am On Apr 13, 2013
bigfrancis21: Happy birthday, OjaP. Cheers.
Happy Birthday Ojap Baba. D only irunmola ton je chicken in da house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 2:41pm On Apr 13, 2013
Happy birthday Mr OjaP.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Ajala70: 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
imperiouxx:

Because VO wants to know how enthusiastic you are about studying.... criterion for selection.
Well,my friends did'nt have all that and they are sniffing in American air as "speak".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:45pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ajala70:
Well,my friends did'nt have all that and they are sniffing in American air as "speak".

Then you can follow their foot steps, no crime in trying. Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sigilolu156: 4:52pm On Apr 13, 2013
Happy belated birthday !!! OjaP.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lolabunny90: 4:54pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hi house,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of months and I must say it is the most informative thread online.
I am 22 years old I am preparing to go for my undergrad interview at the end of next month.

Please, can anyone who has gone for their interview this past month elaborate on what the VOs are like this time around? What were your observations at the embassy? What are the VOs really looking for this time around? What types of people are they giving visas to and who are they rejecting and what are their main reasons for rejection?

I'm just trying to understand the embassy environment this year please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by djunit1(m): 4:59pm On Apr 13, 2013
lolabunny90: Hi house,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of months and I must say it is the most informative thread online.
I am 22 years old I am preparing to go for my undergrad interview at the end of next month.

Please, can anyone who has gone for their interview this past month elaborate on what the VOs are like this time around? What were your observations at the embassy? What are the VOs really looking for this time around? What types of people are they giving visas to and who are they rejecting and what are their main reasons for rejection?

I hail the house....

I doubt any one has answers to your questions! This interview is not a general thing. Every case is different. The way they assessed the guy that went last week is not the way they would assess you.

They are not looking "any type/kind of persons"... Plus, they most of the time, do not have any reason for denying any body.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:00pm On Apr 13, 2013
lolabunny90: Hi house,

That's a good question. Current information about the two locations should start flowing on thread......

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by henryogb(m): 5:12pm On Apr 13, 2013
Adolite:
You can fill ds160 as many time you want, just make sure you handover the recent filled ds160 to VO.......

thanks bro so i can still go ahead with the interview ?even if i have the wrong passport num on the appointment schedule
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Prettychyna(f): 6:56pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hello house,I have been following this thread for sometime now and I must commend everybody
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
Prettychyna: Hello house,I have been following this thread for sometime now and I must commend everybody for their contributions. please I need your expert opinions, I recently got admitted into texas tech university for fall 2013 for phd in human development and family studies(area of concentration is gerontology).I was also offered graduate assistantship. I have bachelors degree in nursing science. I finished NYSC last year oct and have been working in a private hospital since then. my 1-20 has arrived and am about to book for embassy appointment. Please, I want to know what to expect during the interview.
I applied to 3 schools all in texas but got one admission. I also did both GRE and TOEFLE. Is there need to go with bank statement since I have funding? How is the school? And what are the likely questions to expect? Thanks in advance

Yes! But just for formality, you got a PhD admission and which usually comes with funding. See you in TTU, Lubbock. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nice4life: 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2013
Prettychyna: Hello house,I have been following this thread for sometime now and I must commend everybody for their contributions. please I need your expert opinions, I recently got admitted into texas tech university for fall 2013 for phd in human development and family studies(area of concentration is gerontology).I was also offered graduate assistantship. I have bachelors degree in nursing science. I finished NYSC last year oct and have been working in a private hospital since then. my 1-20 has arrived and am about to book for embassy appointment. Please, I want to know what to expect during the interview.
I applied to 3 schools all in texas but got one admission. I also did both GRE and TOEFLE. Is there need to go with bank statement since I have funding? How is the school? And what are the likely questions to expect? Thanks in advance
First congrats on your admission.I do not think you need the bank statement since you already have full funding. Does the funding covers living expense as well? It doesn't hurt to go with a bank statement anyway but hardly will any student pay for a Phd degree so I am very sure the visa officer will not bother about the bank statement.However you need to prove that you are going to return to Nigeria after your studies, thats what am going to worry about if am in your position.Think of how you can demonstrate strong ties to nigeria to the visa officer.Good luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lolabunny90: 7:34pm On Apr 13, 2013
djunit1:

I hail the house....

I doubt any one has answers to your questions! This interview is not a general thing. Every case is different. The way they assessed the guy that went last week is not the way they would assess you.

They are not looking "any type/kind of persons"... Plus, they most of the time, do not have any reason for denying any body.

Thanks! I should clarify a bit. I meant what type of VOs are there this time? I live in Lagos and plan on going to the Lagos Consulate. I know a few years back there was the "dreaded chinko lady" everyone on NL talked about so I just want to know if I should mentally prepare myself for such person. lol

Also, I am applying for an undergrad in biological sciences. I finished high school a couple years ago, in the UK actually, because my mother was temporarily working there and I hope that the consulate will not find it strange that I want to study in the US instead of the UK. It's just that I really prefer the program structure of this major in the US and it is cheaper for me. Also, my old passport with my UK visa is lost and I have my current passport that was issued in the UK with a few stamps from West African countries. I hope that will be ok. Since I graduated high school, I worked as a child and youth programmer in the UK (I was in charge of the health and safety of several children's recreational programs) and I currently work for an organization as an instructor and health and safety awareness coordinator (well i just teach basic anatomy and health sha but I'm practicing how to present it to the VOs). I hope this previous work experience is close enough to my intended major of study?
Please house, what type of questions can I expect in my case?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:39pm On Apr 13, 2013
lolabunny90:

Thanks! I should clarify a bit. I meant what type of VOs are there this time? I live in Lagos and plan on going to the Lagos Consulate. I know a few years back there was the "dreaded chinko lady" everyone on NL talked about so I just want to know if I should mentally prepare myself for such person. lol

Also, I am applying for an undergrad in biological sciences at Arizona State University. I finished high school in 2009, in the UK actually, because my mother was temporarily working there and I hope that the consulate will not find it strange that I want to study in the US instead of the UK. It's just that I really prefer the program structure of this major in the US and it is cheaper for me. Also, my old passport with my UK visa is lost and I have my current passport that was issued in the UK with a few stamps from West African countries. I hope that will be ok. Since I graduated high school, I worked as a child and youth programmer in the UK (I was in charge of the health and safety of several children's recreational programs) and I currently work for a performing arts organization as an instructor and health and safety awareness coordinator (well i just teach basic anatomy and health sha but I'm practicing how to present it to the VOs). I hope this previous work experience is close enough to my intended major of study?
Please house, what type of questions can I expect in my case?

Answer: Questions like those that have been asked before if you read through part 2 and 3 (at least).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 7:44pm On Apr 13, 2013

U shd still go with financial documents. Besides the GA z not likely to cover all your expenses (tuition + living expenses)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:49pm On Apr 13, 2013
olsmade:

U shd still go with financial documents. Besides the GA z not likely to cover all your expenses (tuition + living expenses)

Mine does (tuition + living). Moreover, she was talking about PhD and Lubbock isn't that expensive to stay. Bank statement from a PhD applicant with fellowship is required by the embassy as what she can fall back to in case she loses her funding and this is likely not to happen on a % of 98.5
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 14, 2013
@lolabunny90: I think the questions they gonna ask is basically about your family background and the school you applied for. Try to explain more on why you want to study in the US instead of UK. And of course your flamboyant work experience. I am pretty sure you will smile after your interview. Pray for luck!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sigilolu156: 9:50am On Apr 14, 2013
I think that we tend to forget the importance of good first impressions I recommend a regular form fitted suit (not those new nigerian designer suits that just look tacky in my opinion)like a CK for example. I also recommend not using a tie to keep it semi formal and portray an air of confidence and respect. Another thing I think is to answer calmly. The worst thing that will happpen is u will be denied and u will just try again. For women I think tasteful western degined trads sends the right message. And avoid any lies if u must. make sure u can back it up with evidence (good, concrete ). Most of the guys I was them give had suits on .
Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sigilolu156: 10:06am On Apr 14, 2013
I hope u have your sevis fee before the interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Prettychyna(f): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2013
sigilolu156:
I hope u have your sevis fee before the interview
will pay that soon
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by elkharpone: 4:09pm On Apr 14, 2013
Prettychyna: will pay that soon
kindly pay it on time so as to get it over with...so you won't be in a rush before your interview.
Its really good to get everything you need ready before your interview date
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lolabunny90: 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2013
De Tus: @lolabunny90: I think the questions they gonna ask is basically about your family background and the school you applied for. Try to explain more on why you want to study in the US instead of UK. And of course your flamboyant work experience. I am pretty sure you will smile after your interview. Pray for luck!!

Thank you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.