Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,490 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71386 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by karlnyeno: 11:57am On Mar 22, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Why achebe......why not....dis guy....ooooooo too bad
He has left his foot print on de sand of time. So it should be who? Ur .....?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by merengue: 11:57am On Mar 22, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Please where can I get a pirated copy of there was a country cuz I really need it now that things have fallen apart ?

Some people are born cretins, others have had cretin-like behaviour thrust upon them but my dear Bluetooth, you are probably the first person in recorded history who has made the perfection of the art of being a cretin a lifelong ambition. KUDOS!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ofiladee(m): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2013
RIP Prof sad
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 11:58am On Mar 22, 2013
Nonybb: No! I wasnt being sarcastic. Airforce1 had long ago posted a comment here intimating us that hes HIV + and needs advice. Am serious
If it is true, it may have affected his brain cos the way he reasons is very off. Just saying...
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 22, 2013
Chinua Achebe is one of the greatest humans of all times. An erudite scholar of nature and one of the greatest teachers of all times. Who hasnt read at least one of his epistles. At 82, I will not mourn this great mind, I will only wish to be a positive force in the minds of the next generation. That is the greatest tribute to this illustrious mind.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ypzilanti: 11:58am On Mar 22, 2013
~Bluetooth:

What did the assshole contributed beside being the chief propagandist to a wayward ojuku and planted tribalism in the souls of ibos ?

Nonsense tongue

What have you contributed to nairaland apart from tribal wars? Oya answer or hide your head in shame.

What has Chinua Achebe contributed? Things fall apart is the highest selling literary work that has come out of Africa, and is listed as one of the 100 greatest books ever written on planet earth. He was also a major advocate of civil and human rights in Nigeria, and a thorn on the flesh of military and civilian bandits in government. He used the fame of his works as a platform to draw publicity to bad governance in Nigeria.

An attack against Awolowo, his contemporary and adversary in a civil war that killed millions of Igbos was never a tribal attack against Yoruba's in general. Even Wole Soyinka was a big critic of the tactics of the war and went to jail for his opposition to it...does that make Soyinka a self hater?

Those who equate attacking Awolowo to attacking all Yoruba people diminish themselves and their ability to reason with their God given brain.

15 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by godsony: 11:58am On Mar 22, 2013
Is it true? African best in literature leaves the stage
When ovation loudest?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Joeadamu86: 11:58am On Mar 22, 2013
RIP Prof..
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Udpconcept(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
because of ppl like him am always pround to be an african man we love U dear but God loves u most.IJEOMA LA NKE OMA
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nonybb: 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
Airforce1:

U claimed to be a graduate yet u could not give an answer to my simple and innocent question..

Who is chinua achebe?

*Hisses on u in every dialect of Nigeria
Oloshi.. Oniranu

just because i had asked about ur health status?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Aringarosa(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
Bluetooth and the rest of the resident bigot, why don't you take a cue from Aunty Desola? It wouldn't do you any harm you know undecided undecided

Just respect the dead, it isn't too much to ask, is it?

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Airforce1(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
Nonybb: No! I wasnt being sarcastic. Airforce1 had long ago posted a comment here intimating us that hes HIV + and needs advice. Am serious

grin grin grin
I'm speechless right here right now
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by oddy4real(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
jentlsoul: Let achebe come and compete with in this generation if I will not finish him with my God giving talent.
Olodo. It isn't 'giving', it is 'given'

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ikwikwikwi(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
Sorry Sir. We will miss you.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ike77503(m): 11:59am On Mar 22, 2013
WOW ! GREAT MAN...R.I.P the great one...wikipedia have updated their site to prove, he has indeed passed away
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Igwe9(m): 12:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Nonsense as if hiding posts will stop the whole world for remembering him for being a great tribalist.

You can hide this one too and ban me.

Bullshiit.
Bluetooth, even if nobody sees you, you are not invisible to yourself, and lemme ask you, when last did you look at yourself in a mirror?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
BlueMurder: Achebe stirred needless controversies with some of his last works/statements, but i, a northerner, can never get tired of reading his masterpieces like Things Fall Apart, No Longer At Ease, Anthills of The Savannah & A Man of The People.

Adieu, Master of Proverbs.

The bolded alone killed his reputation;propagating lies for onward transmission to unborn generation and when you talk,they punish you for blasphemy.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Brymo: 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
adieu fada,d centre,cannot hold........
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
Eternal rest grant upon him and let perpetual light shine on him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithfully departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ooconsider(m): 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
He lived his life a hero, and a hero he is gone. May his outstanding, peaceful and uncorrupted soul rest in peace,AMEN! am sure he is heaven
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
chinua achebe will be so ashamed of your grammar right now in heaven please improve on it
godsony: Is it true? African best in literature leaves the stage
When ovation loudest?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ejine(m): 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rest in peace, sir!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by aryzgreat: 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP Sir! cry cry cry

Chinua Achebe quotes (showing 31-60 of 67)

“The foreign correspondent is frequently the only means of getting an important story told, or of drawing the world's attention to disasters in the making or being covered up. Such an important role is risky in more ways than one. It can expose the correspondent to actual physical danger; but there is also the moral danger of indulging in sensationalism and dehumanizing the sufferer. This danger immediately raises the question of the character and attitude of the correspondent, because the same qualities of mind which in the past separated a Conrad from a Livingstone, or a Gainsborough from the anonymous painter of Francis Williams, are still present and active in the world today. Perhaps this difference can best be put in one phrase: the presence or absence of respect for the human person.”
― Chinua Achebe, The Education of a British-Protected Child: Essays
tags: journalism 5 people liked it like

“Africa is people" may seem too simple and too obvious to some of us. But I have found in the course of my travels through the world that the most simple things can still givwe us a lot of trouble, even the brightest among us: this is particularly so in matters concerning Africa.”
5 people liked it like

“At the most one could say that his chi or ... personal god was good. But the Ibo people have a proverb that when a man says yes his chi says yes also. Okonkwo said yes very strongly; so his chi agreed. ”
― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
tags: attitude, willpower 5 people liked it like

“It is the story that owns and directs us. It is the thing that makes us different from cattle; it is the mark on the face that sets one people apart from their neighbors.”
― Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah
tags: story 5 people liked it like

“Ogbuef Ezedudu,who was the oldest man in the village, was telling two other men when they came to visit him that the punishment for breaking the Peace of Ani had become very mild in their clan.
"It has not always been so," he said. "My father told me that he had been told that in the past a man who broke the peace was dragged on the ground through the village until he died. but after a while this custom was stopped because it spoiled the peace which it was meant to preserve.”
5 people liked it like

It is the storyteller who makes us what we are, who creates history. The storyteller creates the memory that the survivors must have - otherwise their surviving would have no meaning.”
― Chinua Achebe

5 people liked it like

“...Let me say that I do think decency and civilization would insist that the writer take sides with the powerless. Clearly, there's no moral obligation to write in any particular way. But there is a moral obligation, I think, not to ally oneself with power against the powerless. I think an artist, in my definition of that word, would not be someone who takes sides with the emperor against his powerless subjects.”
― Chinua Achebe
4 people liked it like

“In the vocabulary of certain radical theorists contradictions are given the status of some deadly disease to which their opponents alone can succumb. But contradictions are the very stuff of life. If there had been a little dash of contradiction among the Gadarene swine some of them might have been saved from drowning.”
4 people liked it like

“A man who pays respect to the great paves the way for his own greatness”
― Chinua Achebe
tags: life-philosophy 4 people liked it like

“The world is large,” said Okonkwo. “I have even heard that in some tribes a man’s children belong to his wife and her family.”

“That cannot be,” said Machi. “You might as well say that the woman lies on top of the man when they are making the babies.”
4 people liked it like

“Women and music should not be dated.”
― Chinua Achebe, No Longer at Ease
4 people liked it like

Age was respected among his people, but achievement was revered. As the elders said, if a child washed his hands he could eat with kings.”
tags: achievement, meritocracy 4 people liked it like

“...Nothing puzzles God”
― Chinua Achebe, Civil Peace
tags: civilpeace 4 people liked it like

“Paradoxically, a saint like [Albert] Schweitzer can give one a lot more trouble than King Leopold II, villain of unmitigated guilt, because along with doing good and saving African lives Schweitzer also managed to announce that the African was indeed his brother, but only his junior brother.”
4 people liked it like

“I would be quite satisfied if my novels (especially the ones I set in the past) did no more than teach my readers that their past - with all its imperfections - was not one long night of savagery from which the first Europeans acting on God's behalf delivered them”
― Chinua Achebe
tags: 1975, from-morning-yet-on-creation-day 4 people liked it like

“Those whose kernels were cracked by benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble.”
― Chinua Achebe
4 people liked it like

“In my definition I am a protest writer, with restraint.”
― Chinua Achebe, There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra
4 people liked it like

“An old woman is always uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb”
― Chinua Achebe
tags: proverb 3 people liked it like

Among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.”
tags: africa, african, african-authors, african-literature, literary-fiction, literary-quotes, literature, literature-quotes 3 people liked it like

“When we gather together in the moonlit village ground it is not because of the moon. Every man can see it in his own compound. We come together because it is good for kinsmen to do so. [...] But I fear for you young people because you do not understand how strong is the bond of kinship. You do not know what it is to speak with one voice. And what is the result? An abominable religion has settled among you. A man can now leave his father and his brothers. He can curse the gods of his fathers and his ancestors, like a hunter's dog that suddenly goes mad and turns on his master. I fear for you; I fear for the clan.”
― Chinua Achebe
tags: things-fall-apart 3 people liked it like

“Hanya kisahlah... yang bisa menghindarkan keturunan kita dari membuat kesalahan besar seperti pengemis-pengemis buta yang menabrak duri-duri pagar kaktus."
(Anthills of The Savannah)”
― Chinua Achebe
3 people liked it like

“The price a world language must be prepared to pay is submission to many different kinds of use. The African writer should aim to use English in a way that brings out his message best without altering the language to the extent that its value as a medium of international exchange will be lost. He should aim at fashioning out an English which is at once universal and able to carry his peculiar experience.”
― Chinua Achebe, Morning yet on creation day: Essays
tags: english, experience, language 3 people liked it like

“What I can say is that it was clear to many of us that an indigenous African literary renaissance was overdue. A major objective was to challenge stereotypes, myths, and the image of ourselves and our continent, and to recast them through stories- prose, poetry, essays, and books for our children. That was my overall goal.”
tags: african-literature 3 people liked it like

“Unoka went into an inner room and soon returned with a small wooden disc containing a kola nut, some alligator pepper and a lump of white chalk.

"I have kola," he announced when he sat down, and passed the disc over to his guest.

"Thank you. He who brings kola brings life. But I think you ought to break it," replied Okoye passing back the disc.

"No, it is for you, I think," and they argued like this for a few moments before Unoka accepted the honor of breaking the kola. Okoye, meanwhile, took the lump of chalk, drew some lines on the floor, and then painted his big toe.”
tags: africa, books, humor, random, things-fall-apart 2 people liked it like

“I believe in the complexity of the human story and that there’s no way you can tell that story in one way and say, This is it. Always there will be someone who can tell it differently depending on where they are standing; the same person telling the story will tell it differently. I think of that masquerade in Igbo festivals that dances in the public arena. The Igbo people say, If you want to see it well, you must not stand in one place. The masquerade is moving through this big arena. Dancing. If you’re rooted to a spot, you miss a lot of the grace. So you keep moving, and this is the way I think the world’s stories should be told—from many different perspectives.”
― Chinua Achebe
2 people liked it like

“Every generation must recognize and embrace the task it is peculiarly designed by history and by providence to perform.”
tags: inspirational-life 2 people liked it like

“Procrastination is a lazy man's apology.”
2 people liked it like

“Writing has always been a serious business for me. I felt it was a moral obligation. A major concern of the time was the absence of the African voice. Being part of that dialogue meant not only sitting at the table but effectively telling the African story from an African perspective - in full earshot of the world.”
tags: african-literature, writing 2 people liked it like

“The triumph of the written word is often attained when the writer achieves union and trust with the reader, who then becomes ready to be drawn into unfamiliar territory, walking in borrowed literary shoes so to speak, toward a deeper understanding of self or society, or of foreign peoples, cultures, and situations.”
2 people liked it like

“A toad does not run in the daytime for nothing”
― Chinua Achebe

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Coldfeet(f): 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
Okeosisi kara'aka!!! gaa nke oma! Chukwu Nna biko nabata nmkpuru obi ya amen cry

5 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by idupaul: 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
A man of the words, he was trailblazer of the independence age of Africa..Millions have learnt proper syntax from the words you sowed in paper back book for us to reap from intellectually.. Millions to come shall still reap from ur works .. Your life was blessed by the numerous awards and acclaim you got but marred by the fact you never got to see that great Nigeria you longed and fought for .. But cry not my Achebe for we the new generation shall toil till we get Nigeria to the enviable society you knew as her potential .. RIP
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by motunolajide(f): 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
“Writers don't give prescriptions.They give headaches!”― Chinua Achebe-Anthills of the Savannah//Things fall apart the centre can no longer hold and It has come to collect the debt owed!Your loss an headache to ur fans,RIP PA,your WORDS n WORKS lives.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Litmus: 12:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
I had no love for literature until reading Things fall Apart and after that, for a long time, my utterances were always sage-like. Proverbs peppered all my words until i began to sound like and old village dude with palm oil stained singlet.People got fed up with me. After this, for a long time, until i came to Niraland in fact, i always believed the Igbos would be the saviors of Nigeria because no people who counted a man like Achebe among its kindred could fail to be noble and above all enlightened -as opposed to educated.

He lived long, so his death was not unexpected, but nothing, no forward thinking or expectations can cushion one from the emotion of sadness when a loved individual passes.

RIP

just to add, people say Nigerians are arrogant when i suspect they have no words to define the unexpected character which they find imbued in Nigerians. I believe it would be none overemotional to suggest that Achebe was the cause, he informed much of a generation of Nigerians misunderstood compassion and pride.

5 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Wellloaded: 12:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
Another icon is gone!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by LarrySun(m): 12:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
Take heart, Nigerians
Sir Achebe's demise is a great loss indeed
Let's appreciate our icons while they're still alive
We still have Adichie, Soyinka, Ofeimun.
And, Oh! How would I forget? LARRY SUN. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (39) (Reply)

Atiku Speaks On Decamping From PDP To APGA / Atiku Woos Obasanjo Minutes After Becoming PDP's Presidential Candidate / Buhari's 4 + 4 Gesture Goes Viral. What Do You Think? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.