Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,577 members, 7,958,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:20 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (42347 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 5:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
Dede1:

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.

I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.
I expected comments like yours, I won't insult u my gooD man, cos I know where u're coming from but like I mentioned earlier, the truth is indeed bitter, I would like u to name chinua achebe's contributions to sustainable growth in this country, what does the okada rider or the market woman think of him? This was a man whose pen was indeed mightier than the sword, but what did he do with his pen, he stooped so low to insulting Nigerians and Nigeria, this man was so full of hatred, even the ikemba of Nnewi chief odumegwu ojukwu (a man I love and respect so much) forgave Nigeria for aLl that happened during the war, that he even contemplated running for the presidency, that shows u the kind of man he was, a man who truly loved his people and wanted the best for them, he wished them the best, unlike achebe who till he died was a war monger,

13 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
The only thing Ashebe promoted in Nigeria was tribalism.

He died a bitter man. He was bitter against everything in life. Bitter against Yoruba, against Awolowo, Against Nobel committee, against Nigeria

His bitterness obviously killed him.

It would have been better if Ashebe died a year ago than now when all his legacy are now tainted with trialism

He would be remembered for being a Bigot

Thats why Soyinka excelled over him anyday

Soyinka, A Yoruba man supported and was jailed for Biafra

Soyinka a Yoruba man supported and was the spokesman for the niger Delta

Soyinka was way ahead of Ashebe in all walks of life

26 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by obowunmi(m): 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
@ OP: most so-called "African" intellectuals not just Nigerians, write from the United States or London, somewhere abroad....and not in their respective countries. Sounds like an irony to me.

Wole Soyinka is an exception. Even Adichie is based in the U.S. I find it very sad.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by kettykin: 6:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
[size=20pt]Africa owes a debt of gratitude to Achebe – Zuma[/size]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/africa-owes-a-debt-of-gratitude-to-achebe-zuma/
The South African President, Mr Jacob Zuma, says Africa owes a debt of gratitude to late Nigerian author Chinua Achebe in view of his contributions to African literature.

Zuma said this Friday in Johannesburg while expressing his deepest condolences to the Nigerian government and the family of late Achebe.

According to a statement by the presidential spokesman, Mr Mac Maharaj, Zuma expressed his deepest condolences “on the sad passing away of the distinguished Nigerian author’’.

“I have learnt with great sadness of the passing away of this colossus of African writing. Chinua Achebe was Nigeria’s and indeed Africa’s greatest literary export and a legend of African literature.

“It was in his famous novel `Things Fall Apart’ that many Africans saw themselves in literature and arts at the time when most of the writing was about Africans but not by Africans. Africa owes a debt of gratitude to the writer, Achebe.

“On behalf of the South African government and all her people, we wish to send our deepest condolences to the Achebe family, his home country, Nigeria and the whole literary community,” Zuma said. NAN

Chinua Achebe was Nigeria’s and indeed Africa’s greatest literary export and a legend of African literature

It was in his famous novel `Things Fall Apart’ that many Africans saw themselves in literature and arts at the time when most of the writing was about Africans but not by Africans. Africa owes a debt of gratitude to the writer, Achebe

18 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
Africa's greatest literary export without Nobel = False.

Ashebe gone = 1 less hate peddling and devisive bigot . A good thing for Nigerian and humanity.

9 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by kettykin: 6:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile: Africa's greatest literary export without Nobel = False.

Ashebe gone = 1 less hate peddling and devisive bigot . A good thing for Nigerian and humanity.

Possibly if Jacob Zuma and Mandela could be wrong then Millions of others including Nobel Prize winners will not be wrong, if this man was a Bigot and a local hero like Awolowo why would the whole world be mourning him.

[size=20pt]World mourn Achebe[/size]
http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-governors-mourn-achebe/

14 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by NegroNtns(m): 6:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
dayokanu: The only thing Ashebe promoted in Nigeria was tribalism.

He died a bitter man. He was bitter against everything in life. Bitter against Yoruba, against Awolowo, Against Nobel committee, against Nigeria

His bitterness obviously killed him.

It would have been better if Ashebe died a year ago than now when all his legacy are now tainted with trialism

He would be remembered for being a Bigot

Thats why Soyinka excelled over him anyday

Soyinka, A Yoruba man supported and was jailed for Biafra

Soyinka a Yoruba man supported and was the spokesman for the niger Delta

Soyinka was way ahead of Ashebe in all walks of life

......you left out that he was bitter against honorary awards by both obj and gej.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by adconline(m): 6:38pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.

Your article has not been published in any Naija Newspaper. You have not published in any journal let alone a peer reviewed one. You don't even know how to write a gossip column in a magazine. Just give us your dad's name so that we compare him with Achebe's achievements. Folks who have access to Internet think that everything happens on the Internet . You are not even sure if your obituary is going make it on Nairaland. Attacking Achebe's achievement by a nobody is like taking a fist fight to a missile fight.

17 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 6:39pm On Mar 23, 2013
If he has not promoted progress in this country at least I am sure he has not slowed the development of this country. He is better than some leaders who are pediophiles, homosexuals, mass murderers, psychotic suicidals, coup plotters, molesters, cleptomaniacs, nymphomaniacs, cry babies on national TV, shameful interviewee, slave mentality, extreme islamists, pilferers, brain washed, ill educated and greedy low lives that have been incharge of this country for some years now running this country agog.
Apart from his great cultural and literary export from Nigeria being celebrated by all media and social network in Nigeia and world over, he was a man of integrity, always said what he believed like a true innocent man devoid of hypocricy, deceit and politicing. In nairaland, what we are doing here is having thesame people that support amnesty for Boko Haram come here and ask questions about his achievement.

These Nairaland bigots are a selection of the tribe that are really the problem of Nigeria but they will be put to shame. Throws spit at the OP.

12 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 6:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
kettykin:

Possibly if Jacob Zuma and Mandela could be wrong then Millions of others including Nobel Prize winners will not be wrong, if this man was a Bigot and a local hero like Awolowo why would the whole world be mourning him.

The people you are quoting are not nigerians and the bitter and hateful old man didn't write any book insulting and dividing south Africans like he did to his own country and fellow nigerians so shove that irrelevant garbage where you got it from..

BTW. they asked you about ashebe, not awolowo. Obviously many of you don't know how to read and comprehend.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 6:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

......you left out that he was bitter against honorary awards by both obj and gej.

Great development indeed..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 6:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
kettykin:

Guy please I ask that you exercise caution when you call awo a local hero. He is only a hero to discombulated Yorubas. Nobody knows him outside Yorubaland. He is a local exconvict who died of frustration apparent suicide when it became obvious he couldn't win any elections outside yorubaland.

8 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 6:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
kettykin:

I'm not saying that chinua achebe was not a great man of literature, he was, but unfortunately he was ONLY a great man of literature, he was'nt a man who believed in progress, he was'nt a man who believed in unity, and he was'nt a forgiving man, wole soyinka is a great man to many Nigerians not only cos he is well learned, but cos he is a man of the people, someone who believes in Nigeria, someone who has always fought for the people of Nigeria, like someone mentioned he was'nt a biafran, but he went to jail because of biafrans, that's someone with integrity and who believes that in the worst situations there is always hope, is wole soyinka dies today he will be remembered for many things not only cos of literature but his numerous ways he has done to propagate peace and oneness in Nigeria, chinua achebe lost hope in Nigeria, and instead of him to keep these negative views to himself he went as far as writing books predicting all sorts of doomsday scenarios for Nigeria and Nigerians, what a shame, smh,

8 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 7:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

The people you are quoting are not nigerians and the bitter and hateful old man didn't write any book insulting and dividing south Africans like he did to his own country and fellow nigerians so shove that irrelevant garbage where you got it from..
do these people know any ex convict by name of awolowo or prospective convict Tinubu? Your opinion is irrelevant.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 7:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:

do these people know any ex convict by name of awolowo or prospective convict Tinubu? Your opinion is irrelevant.

No time for retar/ded trolls today so fcukkkkk off.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by oboy3(m): 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
@o.p,Achebe will forever be remembered unlike you who wont be missed,not even by your parents

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by IleIfe2(m): 7:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
I pray he finds peace and tranquillity wherever he is.

BTW. Lmao at Ashebe

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 7:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I'm not saying that chinua achebe was not a great man of literature, he was, but unfortunately he was ONLY a great man of literature, he was'nt a man who believed in progress, he was'nt a man who believed in unity, and he was'nt a forgiving man, wole soyinka is a great man to many Nigerians not only cos he is well learned, but cos he is a man of the people, someone who believes in Nigeria, someone who has always fought for the people of Nigeria, like someone mentioned he was'nt a biafran, but he went to jail because of biafrans, that's someone with integrity and who believes that in the worst situations there is always hope, is wole soyinka dies today he will be remembered for many things not only cos of literature but his numerous ways he has done to propagate peace and oneness in Nigeria, chinua achebe lost hope in Nigeria, and instead of him to keep these negative views to himself he went as far as writing books predicting all sorts of doomsday scenarios for Nigeria and Nigerians, what a shame, smh,
take your primitive thinking and shove it down your ewedu azz. Achebe is Igbo biafran, he does not owe yorubas any fathen. Go and cry to your ex cons awolowo and obasanjo for your elusive progress.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by IleIfe2(m): 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:

take your primitive thinking and shove it down your ewedu azz. Achebe is Igbo biafran, he does not owe yorubas any fathen. Go and cry to your ex cons awolowo and obasanjo for your elusive progress.

Economic nomad talking of elusive progress. grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by kettykin: 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:

Guy please I ask that you exercise caution when you call awo a local hero. He is only a hero to discombulated Yorubas. Nobody knows him outside Yorubaland. He is a local exconvict who died of frustration apparent suicide when it became obvious he couldn't win any elections outside yorubaland.

I am sorry for that gaffe of even calling him a local Hero there by insulting heroes.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

No time for retar/ded trolls today so fcukkkkk off.
do these people know any ex
convict by name of awolowo or
prospective convict Tinubu? who knows you self?
Your opinion is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 7:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
I have gathered from the grapevine that GEJ is about to review the state pardon of ex con awolowo. I enjoin all Yoruba people to get ready to hit the streets, protest and resist this attempt

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 7:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
With ashebe the divisive bigot gone for good, I feel so happy for Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 23, 2013
I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks

12 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by IleIfe2(m): 7:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:
I have gathered from the grapevine that GEJ is about to review the state pardon of ex con awolowo. I enjoin all Yoruba people to get ready to hit the streets, protest and resist this attempt

Grapevine kwanu? beer parlour. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by kettykin: 7:26pm On Mar 23, 2013
For those who are comparing Awolowo and Achebe

The Television station Awolowo built has only ended up producing actors and actresses who ferry drugs Overseas

The Stadium Awolowo built has not up till today produced any Olympic Gold medalist or aided any of the yoruba Team to win an African or world medal in any event like foot ball . The 3 Olympic Gold Medals were all won by an igbo studded team and the AFCON was won by an igbo coach and igbo studded team.

The Free and dysfunctional Education Awolowo foisted on the Yorubas produced inept Kleptomaniacs whose blunders has led to the closure of Ajaokuta steel , loss of Nigerian Airways, the looting and killing of NEPA, Dunlop, Unilever,Wema Bank and NITEL , Nigerians are yet to recover from the latest of such blunders by Mr. Obafaiye Shem AKA My oga at the top who despite manning a senior position in a strategic state could not offer a coherent interview and did not know what a web address looks like.

Mean while Achebe's Novel is among the 50 most read books in the world , even Soyinka's book is not among the first 1000 most read books,
Achebe has more than 30 honorary Degrees from Universities in Europe and America ( you can check Wikipedia and confirm )

14 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 7:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
Ile-Ife:

Grapevine kwanu? beer parlour. grin grin grin grin

That troll is high from too much akpu.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Duru1(m): 7:29pm On Mar 23, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks

At least, one has to be a human being in order to see the achievements and contributions of Achebe to the progress and development of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by chyz(m): 7:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
Are some people actually here doubting Chinua Achebe? I warn our SW "brothers" to don't become internationally isolated. There is never been a man EVER in all of Yoruba land that has made anywhere close to, on the level of, or more of an impact in the world than Chinua Achebe. I dare the yorubas to name one. Even Fela, had more of an impact than Awolowo,lol. I'd say he is the closes that orubas can get to Achebe and he's even at a distant close. Please come back to reality people and stop making fools of yourselves.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 7:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
Duru1:

At least, one has to be a human being in order to see the achievements and contributions of Achebe to the progress and development of Africa.

Olodo lack of reading and comprehension skills. The question says Nigeria, not Africa. WAEC reject..

Are you now ready to answer the question or run away like a damn sissie coward.?

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by adconline(m): 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

Upload your CV on NL for everyone to see and compare and Oga at the top will also confirm!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 7:49pm On Mar 23, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
Eko Ile:

Olodo lack of reading and comprehension skills. The question says Nigeria, not Africa. WAEC reject..

Are you now ready to answer the question or run away like a damn sissie coward.?

Why not ask for his contribution in the development of Yoruba people, not Nigeria or Africa. Tribalistic ideals. Is Nigeria not in Africa? Na waah ooo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Surulere Constituency 1: Desmond Elliot Celebrates As He Is Currently Leading / Photos : Thugs Who Tried To Snatch Ballot Boxes At Amuwo Odofin Arrested / Northern Youths Protest Killing Of Cows, Herder By Gunmen In Abia (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.