Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,918 members, 7,824,858 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41755 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by IGBOSON1: 10:50pm On Mar 23, 2013
namfav: good question, the answer is no

^^^But of course the answer will be 'no' from you, aboki; i never expected any different. wink

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 10:55pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:
No. I meant just you at the moment.

You are gooffing. This has nothing to do with me because I did not coin the word ibo nor forcing your people and your leaders to call themselves ibo unless yours is the usual selective tribalistic mentality stripes you carry on your shoulder.

You sound like the other goof balls on NL with no sense of identity and history.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
ypzilanti: What does OP want Achebe to do? Bulid roads and bridges? The guy was an author and he excelled at what he did...in fact he was among the best in the world. All that he was fighting for was for your governor and president to be the among the best in the world too. Hope that answers your question.
Exactly. I don't understand how some people think here. He was a brilliant writer, a literary giant, a guy who achieved milestones, a man who is popularly referred to as "the father of modern African writing" and some buffoon who can't even write like a normal human being is asking what he did for Nigeria. He was and still is one of the positive things to be tied to Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Andyforte: 11:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
This poster has a serious problem with thinking.

He claims the renown icon did nothing but point out the problems. Isn't that what any common sense we person who isn't a politician would do? The problems he pointed out did u and ur folks listen. As though he knew he would be going soon he left u more to brood on, you haven't read it yet u ask annoying questions.

What has anybody done? What have u done? What has ur father done? What did his father before him do? What did obj, abiola, abubakar, marwa, sultan of sokoto, or any politician done for this nation? What have u done?

U must be blind !!

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.
Another useless rant from another Yoruba man.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ebosed: 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
This is special dedication to the poster: a significant level of your foolishness must prevail in the society for our wisdom to have value.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by talktimi(m): 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
We all know the most tribalistic and bigoted group in this country but they are the ones who blame others the most for these same things. I dey laff dem

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2013
The triaslistic bas't'ard succeeded in planting hatred in the minds of his people.

That is one hell of an achievement.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 11:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

You are gooffing. This has nothing to do with me because I did not coin the word ibo nor forcing your people and your leaders to call themselves ibo unless yours is the usual selective tribalistic mentality stripes you carry on your shoulder.

You sound like the other goof balls on NL with no sense of identity and history.
I thought we have done with your IBO thing now as I realise not everybody is educational/instructive material. There people who still believe that the world is flat or is seating on top of a giant elephant, so trying to deviate them to the real fact is like pouring water on a stone, it will never sink.

I hate to repeat myself, we have a name for such a person and I don't like it.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
ypzilanti: Nigeria was in the news yesterday on a positive (though sad) note. When was the last time Nigeria was celebrated in world news for anything? It is the measure of the greatness of a nation to produce people of world renown. Nigeria, at least can boast of having two of the greatest writers of this century.

If Nigeria was working well, the man would have just sat and wrote his books without being overly political. You do not see American and British classic writers talking politics. It's the writers of 3rd world nations that have to fight beyond the page of their manuscript due to the decadence and corruption that they see around them.
Leave them, let them keep gushing out crap through their änuses. I can bet my two legs that they're among those who partake in the literary glory Achebe brought to us.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:
I thought we have done with your IBO thing now as I realise not everybody is educational/instructive material. There people who still believe that the world is flat or is seating on top of a giant elephant, so trying to deviate them to the real fact is like pouring water on a stone, it will never sink.

Ashebe died, suddenly you and dende resurrected from hibernation.where is udezue ?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:

What more is there to be said. Nairaland is like a field where retartded individuals have the opportunity to display foolishness and relate with smart and intelligent folks. The Op will have such fraudsters as awolowo, Fashola and Tinubu as a hero and contributor to the development of Nigeria as against people like Achebe and Soyinka
Achebe was a pan african. His views go beyond the shores of nigeria. If the OP fails to see what he contributed to nigeria, then thats his biz. Awo was great but only in his own Yoruba enclave. Achebe on d oda hand is a world renowned figure.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by seechris(m): 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
the biafran civil war left a a scar on chinua achebe,he couldnt forgive what Nigeria did to biafra,read half of a yellow sun to see the view from the biafrans

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Andyforte: 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2013
dayokanu:

Ojuku was already sleeping with Bianca when she was under aged he only waited to formally marry her.

Before I call u a big fool, let me first ask u for the validity of that statement.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Andyforte: 11:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
talktimi: We all know the most tribalistic and bigoted group in this country but they are the ones who blame others the most for these same things. I dey laff dem

Abi
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by YorubaOmoge: 11:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The triaslistic bas't'ard succeeded in planting hatred in the minds of his people.

Just like Ojuku who eventually succumbed to Hausa puzzie.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Yea. And ur tribalistic war criminal cum ex-convict, died of suicide from rat poison. That is one hell of an achievement.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Andyforte: 11:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

lol @ he didn't involved himself directly. That bigoted and mean spirited old man involved himself in the most profound and pronounced way than any nigerian with his hateful book. He single handedly erased the gains we've made, he even poisoned the minds of many generations unborn who are destined to read that hate and bigotry book.

The man did too much damage because of hate and personal bitterness.

You r just deceiving yourself.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 23, 2013
seechris: the biafran civil war left a a scar on chinua achebe,he couldnt forgive what Nigeria did to biafra,read half of a yellow sun to see the view from the biafrans

Bullshiit

Where was he when a wayward 33 years old oju-iku decided to lead over 2 million people to destruction ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by muredo(m): 11:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
[quote author=Dede1]

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used h sir,with due respecu,pls tell me what achebe award has done to you personally,or creating employment for the youth,instead the man came up with dead civil war saga,when nigeria really need peace

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 11:16pm On Mar 23, 2013
The comments on this thread brings nothing but tears to my eyes. I am yet to see a man with some much integrity like Achebe. He told the truth to the world and he never minced his words. He is nothing like us, who fight the government and yet dine with them. We have lost a true gem, a great man, a true world class citizen and an African hero. I RESPECT YOU SIR. REST IN PERFECT PEACE.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by CyberG: 11:18pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:
I am Igbo and there are no people anywhere in Africa called Ibo, and not in Biafra that I knew. ACHEBE is an African Icon of good repute, and that is why from China to Europe or America, all humans that matters are talking about his death, the day you or me dies and there was such a trend, you can come back for this chat chat.

It is ibo. I-b-o. Read more history books and even Ashembe's book.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eziachi:

You can repeat that rubbish till you turn blue, the fact remains that ibo people and your leaders call themselves ibo and that you can not change.

You still lack common sense of identity and belonging.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
Why can't Nigerians co-operate to move the country forward? Why would Nigerian young generation dwell on the past mistakes our fathers made?

Not until we do some soul-searching and come to term as youths of Nigeria who have place in the scheme of things in the world we will remain another backward people who failured to use the power of knowledge nature offered to us freely, yet we are destroying it with hate and tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 23, 2013
all4naija: Why can't Nigerians co-operate to move the country forward? Why would Nigerian young generation dwell on the past mistakes our fathers made?

Not until we do some soul-searching and come to term as youths of Nigeria who have place in the scheme of things in the world we will remain another backward people who failured to use the power of knowledge nature offered to us freely, yet we are destroying it with hate and tribalism.

Because some fathers are worthless and responsible for spreading tribalism eg Ashebe

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 11:23pm On Mar 23, 2013
all4naija: Why can't Nigerians co-operate to move the country forward? Why would Nigerian young generation dwell on the past mistakes our fathers made?

Please can you save this comment and when next there is an e-tribal fight, copy and paste it. I am ashamed from what I read on nairaland these days. We will destroy ourselves with this. Why can't we correct the mistakes of our fathers.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
@muredo, how do u expect an entire people to forget the atrocities of a man that is revered as a god by his people for the war crimes he committed against others. Its difficult, Achebe only put it on record for the whole world to see. He expects u people to acknowledge that it happened and promise never to do it again. No matter how u look at it, u cannot dispute that the events happened and that they are bad, u can only bring up reasons why it happened which inadvertently annoys the recepients of these atrocities.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by great063(m): 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
Dede1:

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.

I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.
You're simply stupid.So much hate and bitterness in your comment.Make it a tad constructive next time...Achebe did a terrific job in placing Nigeria on the world's literary map.I feel he was indifferent toward the Nigeria project.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by muredo(m): 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
I think he will have enough time to write his stupid disintegrating book in heaven,achebe ko,anichebe ni,mtcheeewww

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
I have heard about ACHEBE but what is ASHEBE? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dayokanu is a legend on nairaland! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by chyket(m): 11:26pm On Mar 23, 2013
Achebe's relocation to the US was as a result of the accident He had in one of our numerous death trap roads caused by failure of Government to tackle basic social infrastructures.This left him paralyzed and He felt USA will be the best location to manage his paralysis.So people insinuating that he ran away to the USA do not have their facts right.

8 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 11:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Because some fathers are worthless and responsible for spreading tribalism eg Ashebe
I previously considered you to be a beautiful mind with the way you analyze political issues. However, i am shocked you would stoop this low and incline yourself to tribal backwardness.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Mocks Oby Ezekwesili: "See What You Have Been Reduced To" / Ministerial Screening: Uchechukwu Ogah Screened By Senate, Nigerians React / Iranians Storm Nigerian Embassy In Tehran To Protest Army Attack On Shiites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.