Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Enugu State And High Cost Of Living - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu State And High Cost Of Living (10941 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Entitlements Of Former Heads Of State And Presidents / The Rawls Centre Laments High Cost Of Petrol In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
The low cost housing will be for everyone...The point i was trying to make is that Igbos who ran away should not be made more special than those who had kept fate with Igboland. If anything, those that have remained in Igboland despite the odds, should be more appreciated.

They ran away to develope another mans city, even though they are hated like demons
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 1:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Developed by whom? Dont tell me the government should do everything in this nation. Whaere is the private sector if there is profit to be made from it?
It can be a Government and private partnership.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by finegidigal: 1:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
House rent 100,000 for a self contain with only toilet
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:53pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
It can be a Government and private partnership.

I dont trust the government o, any government grin
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 1:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
fine_gidigal: House rent 100,000 for a self contain with only toilet

Build your own and people will pay rent, dont criticize another for what you cannot do.

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by goldfish80(m): 1:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
Whats all this noise about? People should learn to cut their coats ƒoя once. Enugu is one of τђΞ places in Nigeria you can α very decent living with very little. Everyone must not stay ιϞ New heaven, Indy,GRA. Places like Obiagu,Abakpa,Amorji,Emene, Nkwo nike, υ can get α very decent 3 bedroom flat less than 10000 α month. At Ngenvu one room aprtments go for N500... Paying 100000 α year for one room self contain apartment is cheap by by Nigerian standard!!
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by free2ryhme: 2:06pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Yes, but instead of some tenants to mass together and find ways to exploit the situation, they will be crying for the government to intervene. If the government intervenes things will get worse, and 800 thousand cannot rent you a flat anymore.

Can Ibo tenants mass together for to find ways to stop their being exploited? Ordinary fuel subdidy crisis you ibos where busy crying for business to continue .. Ibo people are by nature selfish, self-centered, self-seeking, self-conceited, Narcissistic, self-absorbed.. It is the same thing you people have done to Lagos that the price of housing has sky rocketed becos u always pay too extra above the reasonable price...
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by HAH: 2:06pm On Mar 24, 2013
Different story for different folk, if you say 100k for self contain is expensive in Enugu I wonder what you will say of Abuja where self contain goes for 400 to 750k depending on improvement and area
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
HAH: Different story for different folk, if you say 100k for self contain is expensive in Enugu I wonder what you will say of Abuja where self contain goes for 400 to 750k depending on improvement and area
I guess house rent everywhere in Abuja is the same. SMDH.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by free2ryhme: 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
goldfish80: Whats all this noise about? People should learn to cut their coats ƒoя once. Enugu is one of τђΞ places in Nigeria you can α very decent living with very little. Everyone must not stay ιϞ New heaven, Indy,GRA. Places like Obiagu,Abakpa,Amorji,Emene, Nkwo nike, υ can get α very decent 3 bedroom flat less than 10000 α month. At Ngenvu one room aprtments go for N500... Paying 100000 α year for one room self contain apartment is cheap by by Nigerian standard!!

bros so so u can pay 100000 a year for self contained abi ... U are a typical selfish, self-centered, self-seeking, self-conceited, Narcissistic, self-absorbed ibo man
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nightshift(m): 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
Population pressure on Enugu is just starting; as the population of Ndigbo(40 million?)increases so will the number of Ndigbo in Enugu. As the choicest city in Igboland, Enugu's cost of accommodation will continue to rise more than anywhere in Igboland. The only thing the state govt. can do is to build accessible roads to nearby villages. Town or village unions of nearby villages should encourage its inhabitants to build and rent houses in those villages for workers and students. Often i wonder why do someone from Ozalla or Amodu Akwunanaw prefer to live as a tenant in Achara-Layout,than living in his village and commuting to work? Although such attitude is gradually changing. Multi-storey buildings are being built in towns like Agbani, Ozalla, Umueze, Obe and 9th Mile. If such positive trends continue, it will offer workers at UNTH, students of ESUT and Law School alternative accommodations thereby relieving Enugu off some pressure. Amechi-Akwunanaw was the first village that took advantage of it's proximity to Enugu. Today thousands of people found cheaper accommodation there. My prediction is that greater Enugu by the end of the century will expand towards Agbaogugu, Ngwo, Umulumgbe, the entire Nike town, Agbani and some parts of Akpugo on the border to Ugwu-Aji. There are ample lands in the state to offer Ndigbo homes.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by asha80(m): 2:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
free2ryhme:

Can Ibo tenants mass together for to find ways to stop their being exploited? Ordinary fuel subdidy crisis you ibos where busy crying for business to continue .. Ibo people are by nature selfish, self-centered, self-seeking, self-conceited, Narcissistic, self-absorbed.. It is the same thing you people have done to Lagos that the price of housing has sky rocketed becos u always pay too extra above the reasonable price...
who sets the price of rent in lagos?yoruba landlords or igbo tenants?

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Afam4eva(m): 2:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
Nightshift: Population pressure on Enugu is just starting; as the population of Ndigbo(40 million?)increases so will the number of Ndigbo in Enugu. As the choicest city in Igboland, Enugu's cost of accommodation will continue to rise more than anywhere in Igboland. The only thing the state govt. can do is to build accessible roads to nearby villages. Town or village unions of nearby villages should encourage its inhabitants to build and rent houses in those villages for workers and students. Often i wonder why do someone from Ozalla or Amodu Akwunanaw prefer to live as a tenant in Achara-Layout,than living in his village and commuting to work? Although such attitude is gradually changing. Multi-storey buildings are being built in towns like Agbani, Ozalla, Umueze, Obe and 9th Mile. If such positive trends continue, it will offer workers at UNTH, students of ESUT and Law School alternative accommodations thereby relieving Enugu off some pressure. Amechi-Akwunanaw was the first village that took advantage of it's proximity to Enugu. Today thousands of people found cheaper accommodation there. My prediction is that greater Enugu by the end of the century will expand towards Agbaogugu, Ngwo, Umulumgbe, the entire Nike town, Agbani and some parts of Akpugo on the border to Ugwu-Aji. There are ample lands in the state to offer Ndigbo homes.
You're spot on. One reason why a lot of people may not want to like in places like Amodu and Obe and commute to Enugu town is due to inaccessibility. Once all parts of Enugu are connected with good durable roads then it won't matter much where one lives. When i finally move to Enugu, i actually intend living in my village in Amaechi and commute fro there to other parts of Enugu.

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
free2ryhme:

bros so so u can pay 100000 a year for self contained abi ... U are a typical selfish, self-centered, self-seeking, self-conceited, Narcissistic, self-absorbed ibo man

So you cannot make your points without insults?

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by 7842I: 2:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're spot on. One reason why a lot of people may not want to like in places like Amodu and Obe and commute to Enugu town is due to inaccessibility. Once all parts of Enugu are connected with good durable roads then it won't matter much where one lives. When i finally move to Enugu, i actually intend living in my village in Amaechi and commute fro there to other parts of Enugu.

There is no single pothole betwee Obe to enugu, or Amodu to enugu. People just want to mass together and claim Enugu residents even when its not financially possible, they blame the landlords, where were they when their mates were buying cement?
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by goldfish80(m): 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
free2ryhme:

You couldn't help putting an 'ibo man' at τђΞ end of your gibberish bile can you? My little niece is currently paying 120k per anum ƒoя α self contain apartment at Awka,she's paying it cos she can afford it. You sound so bitter & unable to factor in paying 100k ƒoя a self contain apartment. Could it be uve never come across 100k in ur lifetime?for thrice that amount you will be lucky to find a decent self contain apartment ιϞ Abuja distric areas. Like I said earlier, cut your coat according to your size if e pain you take two teaspoons of acid!

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by ZUBY77(m): 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
People just want to claim ' i live in Enugu' tag. My Village ' IHE' is 7 minutes away from garriki. (Enugu - PH express, no hold up, no pothole. Never) Each time i visit Enugu, i usually go down to the village to sleep even by 12am. Publiic transport from IHE to garriki is 70. From garriki to new heaven is over hundred naira.. Why wpuld any sane person from Ihe pay huge money to rent a house in Garriiki?
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
front page plz
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Activity77(m): 6:50pm On Mar 24, 2013
ZUBY77: People just want to claim ' i live in Enugu' tag. My Village ' IHE' is 7 minutes away from garriki. (Enugu - PH express, no hold up, no pothole. Never) Each time i visit Enugu, i usually go down to the village to sleep even by 12am. Publiic transport from IHE to garriki is 70. From garriki to new heaven is over hundred naira.. Why wpuld any sane person from Ihe pay huge money to rent a house in Garriiki?

From gariki to new heaven is 60 or highest 70.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by cecegorz(m): 7:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
Instead of insulting each other for nothing, it's better to look at the holistic approach to affordable housing issues plaguing the land.
I bet you, it's not only in Enugu, it's a national problem.
Individuals can never provide enough housing for the ever growing population with the current high cost of procuring lands and building materials.
Why is it that government is not investing in housing estates that will be affordable to the middle class? The money they siphon to build wasteful Hotels can build block of flats or detached bungalows for people that earn up to 5 - 15m/annum to pay over an agreed mortgage terms.
Do you know that if state govts can empower only 50% of middle class citizens to own their homes, they will leave the houses they rent today to the rest of the population at a far cheaper rate for the lower class. While the luxury apartments can be for the people that can afford to live their dreams.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by urchrlex: 12:47am On Aug 09, 2013
some one should please help me am looking for a house in Enugu now i finished my nysc want to stay in Enugu for sometime, where can i get a cheap accomodation that will be cheap and close to the main cities with no trafic ............... I ve like 60k. Someone please help ........
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Ikengawo: 2:55am On Aug 09, 2013
The cost of living in the east is set to skyrocket for years to come. many factors are playing in

1. Culture: People simply don't want to sell land. They know it's scarce and they feel it's one of the greatest investments you can make towards your children's future (give them a place to build a home, etc)

2. Demand: Everyone wants a house in the east that's from the east, it's the objective of all the hard work igbos do in the region and world wide. 35-40 million people with eyes on building and buying is going to make the value of land overheat, especially when it's so scarce

3. Location: Enugu is right next to Onitcha and close enough to Aba for it to be a hotbed for the rich to want to live. It has become the 'suburb of the east'. It's not a secert that many of Anambras richest have homes in Enugu, and the trend only seems to grow with the development of the state. If there's one place in the world that's going to be plagued with land scarcity issues it's going to be Anambra, and settling in Enugu seems to be the best option due to location and the comparatively less dense population.

We should look to the Japanese to learn how to better manage this issue.

Their management of their density has been legendary

Two solutions

Land tax: Tax people annually for using land. You need to cool off demand and most importantly scare of the diaspora nigerians that build mansions they will never ever visit. I've seen people hold 1/4th of a village as their personal land that only go to nigeria in December while the locals are dealing with the effects of scarcity. If someone wants to build a home fine, but if they're not there the only way to stop the taxation is to make it government property and hold government as a care taker until they comeback. Government can then use the mansions as government facilities and pay tax to the owner that will be collected upon his physical return. Otherwise you would just pay the tax

Build up: They should make a height requirement in all cities that all new buildings have to be 5 stories minimum. hey should also set width restrictions

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Ikengawo: 2:57am On Aug 09, 2013
I also have no sympathy for people trying to live above their means which is also a cause of this problem

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by biafranqueen: 4:30am On Aug 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Isn't Achara layout also a high brow area? Btw, i'm not supporting the unnecessary hike in house rent, my anger is that these people are trying to blackmail landlords to give them special treatment because they relocated from the north. If they cannot afford the highbrow areas, there are other low cost places that they could go to.
People have to live within there means like Afam stated you can't pop champagne on beer budget.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by MaximusDMeridux: 4:31am On Aug 09, 2013
Part of the reasons you people are running away to the SW and North ba? You better start building sky scrappers, minimize s.ex and population for we are not selling lands with C of Os to you people again. Occupy your land resources now!
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by biafranqueen: 4:34am On Aug 09, 2013
Ikengawo: I also have no sympathy for people trying to live above their means which is also a cause of this problem
Exactly, honestly when you lower the price for people they end up being the ones that damage your property, they will not even appreciate the reduction even start owing you. You have to live where you can afford until your income increases.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by MaximusDMeridux: 4:43am On Aug 09, 2013
biafranqueen: Exactly, honestly when you lower the price for people they end up being the ones that damage your property, they will not even appreciate the reduction even start owing you. You have to live where you can afford until your income increases.

so you damage things in the SW but are protecting your property in iboland? we will make you go back and live there full time!
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by biafranqueen: 4:55am On Aug 09, 2013
Awka is more affordable safe and it is close to Enugu. New developments are being built as we speak. If you go outside Enugu city you have plenty choices. They may not be as luxurious, but they are clean, new and comfortable.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by osile2012: 8:52am On Aug 09, 2013
There are still affordable properties in Enugu in descent areas. To find the best property deals in Enugu. Click the link on my signature.And for those of you complaining of high cost, there is this undeveloped part of independence layout, where a plot of land cost 800k now, Government is about to create a connecting road from independence layout phase 2 to that area. As soon as this is done, the price will skyrocket.

For more info, click the link in my signature.
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 09, 2013
Dejohnbull: Lie lie liars, scaring ppl away frm Enugu, shm.

You dont live in Enugu so keep quiet...
Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 09, 2013
7842I:

I wonder o, must everybody live in New Haven and Trans Ekulu, what happened to Udi and Obollo Afor or Awgu? Is rent 5oo thausand there as well?

Are Udi, Obollor Afor and Agwu part of Enugu town You dey vex ooo.

Btw if you stay in those places you mentioned, what will be your ocupation? I guess you are into farming or raising donkeys.

Re: Enugu State And High Cost Of Living by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Isn't Achara layout also a high brow area? Btw, i'm not supporting the unnecessary hike in house rent, my anger is that these people are trying to blackmail landlords to give them special treatment because they relocated from the north. If they cannot afford the highbrow areas, there are other low cost places that they could go to.

Afam, you are making a serious blunder.. Achara layout is my birth place. It is a medium class area.

Noting makes it highbrow abi wetin you go call independence layout.

World's Poorest President's Pictures And His Beautiful Car / Buhari Receives Calls From Presidents Of Egypt, Gambia And Ghana / Truck Owners, Freight Forwarders Protest Over Poor State Of Apapa Roads

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60