Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Is Mathematics Really Important? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics Really Important? (13931 Views)

Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / Is Mathematics A Difficult Subject? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by 32D: 5:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
IT BEATS ME HOW PEOPLE HATE/DISLIKE MATHEMATICS ....DAT HAS GOT TO BE THE SIMPLEST SUBJECT EVER...MAKES READING FUN...practise a few examples and u r good to play around till few days to exams

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
manny4life:

Mr. Bear, ah... You've been missing on NL?

You graced us with your presence today.. grin
you have been missing too Obiora! seems all the good people on nairaland are AWOL. wink

it's been a long time i solved a maths equation. back in the days i was a maths guru. don't know if am still one though. smh
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
Maths na gold 4 tertiary institutions admission o!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by seyilabi(m): 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
If X+Y+8= find the value of X/Y?.what has that got to do with POG in the market?.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by manny4life(m): 5:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
LADY OF RAGE: you have been missing too Obiora! seems all the good people on nairaland are AWOL. wink

it's been a long time i solved a maths equation. back in the days i was a maths guru. don't know if am still one though. smh

Nne, this your name na wa o... Is this who I think it is? shey dem ban you? grin grin grin Wetin happen to your other ID? I've not been missing o, just that I don't ramble with them any often, I see certain threads and jump and pass... grin
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Ahmedie25(m): 5:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
am an electrical engineer,bt am so addicted to mathematics,i can't do without maths
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
manny4life:

Nne, this your name na wa o... Is this who I think it is? shey dem ban you? grin grin grin Wetin happen to your other ID? I've not been missing o, just that I don't ramble with them any often, I see certain threads and jump and pass... grin
was not banned. just decided to keep a low profile. how have you been?
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by manny4life(m): 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
LADY OF RAGE: was not banned. just decided to keep a low profile. how have you been?

I dey o, just hanging in there... It's good to know u weren't banned and keeping a low profile because these mods can be something else. As for me, I've learned NL too well, so I just have my fun (hopefully no more abusing), and laugh it off and keep it moving. Well, welcome back... Was wondering what happened to u. grin
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by saintneo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
People are different. Mathematics happen to be my favorite subject. Back in SS, I usually fail questions that involved essay writing, definitions (teachers' definition word for word), language subjects, religion subjects, etc.

I think it's all about individual dream.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by usayab(m): 5:49pm On Mar 27, 2013
Though 'm not that good mathmaticaly but i love solving its problems. Gov't pls consida pple that hate math during giving adminsions and other things .
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
I used to be poor in Maths. In fact in primary school, I was nicknamed "I don't know maths" - for giving that as an answer when asked by my teacher to solve one maths problem. smiley

I was very poor in Maths till SS2. I was however fortunate to meet one private teacher in SSS2 who taught me factorization and that was the first 'complex' maths I knew. Almost miraculously, from that point I found myself being able to solve some questions. I decided to go back to those maths textbooks of JSS 1-3, read them myself, now got it. I later moved to SSS 1 textbook and later SS2. I can't explain how I was getting it. Few months later I wrote GCE (in SS2) and scored B2 in Maths. That was my turning point - from being complete olodo in Maths up till SS2 to scoring B2 in WAEC(only 2 people scored A1 in Maths in my set.

That motivation further drove me to go learn Further Maths voluntarily. I started from integration (imagine learning integration without starting from differentiation). Mathematical courses later became my favourites when studying economics in the university.

The point is, if you believe so much in yourself, you can be good at it.

Now, should maths be made compulsory? I think for courses as law, sociology, political science, English and other arts subjects (except philosophy) a pass (E8 - 40%) should be acceptable. For economics, geography, accounting, a credit pass (C6 - 50%) should be the minimum.

Of course, no need talking about sciences and engineering, which bedrock mathematics is.

8 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by decepticos(m): 6:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
i am no huge fan of math but if you think alot i.e do alot of deduction and probably induction you will get the importance of math logically. ok you study pol sci how then do you implement a proposed recommendation by a macro economist given various data analysis.
eventhough i get the point of using ppl who undastand the subject instead, find out how or why Juels vernes authour of 20000 leagues under the sea would need math.
if you listen to classical music then a wiki on math and music might aid you.
The need for math is endless but like some guy (sorry i am not good with names) at ted talk said it is the aspect of math that is so much no fun and the time the aspect is thaught.
e bi like say i don talk too much but you just need to open your eyes.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Arsenate(m): 6:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
All maths courses have always being bonuses for me: assured As. Just about the easiest thing around...Maths.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by leonshom(m): 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Fink we had almost similar point of view,i dnt usually get 2 understand anytin related 2 maths, buh am doin well in oda subjects, though i tried learning bit of statistics durin my Uni time which i @least passed well in it, buh still yet, i neva for once liked maths. D only course i failed then @skul was calculation which i had 2 re-take the statistics class,i tried learnin and doin sum home practices, which helped me.
Maths is nt dat friendly 2 me, ever since i lost d knowledge since my sec sch days !
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nekaa(f): 6:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Forget that thing, I love maths, I solve maths tu cheer me up when am feeling down.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Arcard(m): 6:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Sm maths ar impotnt whle sm ar nt
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nijanigga: 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
Only in Nigeria you have many educated illiterates,unknown to these morons that great philosophers,poets etc were also great mathematicians,name them Pythagoras,Plato,Galileo,Lagrange,Aristotle etal.Just goggle great mathematicians and philosophers.If Mathematics wasn't of help to them they would have dumped it.The thing with Nigerians is that we love "short cut" to anything good.Understandably many are are forced to pursue a course,but those guys had fun playing with numbers,you must learn to have fun in learning. Even Albert Einstein studied classics.
"As God calculates so the world is made". Leibniz.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by SKYQUEST(m): 6:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
Jarus: I used to be poor in Maths. In fact in primary school, I was nicknamed "I don't know maths" - for giving that as an answer when asked by my teacher to solve one maths problem. smiley

I was very poor in Maths till SS2. I was however fortunate to meet one private teacher in SSS2 who taught me factorization and that was the first 'complex' maths I knew. Almost miraculously, from that point I found myself being able to solve some questions. I decided to go back to those maths textbooks of JSS 1-3, read them myself, now got it. I later moved to SSS 1 textbook and later SS2. I can't explain how I was getting it. Few months later I wrote GCE (in SS2) and scored B2 in Maths. That was my turning point - from being complete olodo in Maths up till SS2 to scoring B2 in WAEC(only 2 people scored A1 in Maths in my set.

That motivation further drove me to go learn Further Maths voluntarily. I started from integration (imagine learning integration without starting from differentiation). Mathematical courses later became my favourites when studying economics in the university.

The point is, if you believe so much in yourself, you can be good at it.

Now, should maths be made compulsory? I think for courses as law, sociology, political science, English and other arts subjects (except philosophy) a pass (E8 - 40%) should be acceptable. For economics, geography, accounting, a credit pass (C6 - 50%) should be the minimum.

Of course, no need talking about sciences and engineering, which bedrock mathematics is.

Doing well in Maths is all about interest. I wrote SSCE and WASCE thrice because of Mathematics. This however lead to my self discovery in Math; got A1 in my last attempt, went ahead to UNILAG to study mathematically related course and finished another mathematically related professional course in a record time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by costan306(m): 6:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
wat does y and x got 2 do in a law court.wetin concern quadratic equation concern sociology
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Btruth: 6:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics is the backbone to every other subjects. You can survive without it though. So, deal with it!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by ektbear: 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
manny4life:

Mr. Bear, ah... You've been missing on NL?

You graced us with your presence today.. grin

Heh my free time has dropped a lot. So less nl than before.

Hope all is well bro
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by goldfish80(m): 6:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics is easy, just that the Exams are hard.

Seriously, I saw hell studying for My advanced calculus exams...
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by MurderX: 6:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
BABE!:

Truth.

Mathematics is a fundamental tool of research. Although potentially applicable in every discipline, the amount of training in mathematics that students typically receive varies greatly between different disciplines. In those disciplines where most researchers do not master mathematics, the use of mathematics may be held in too much awe. To demonstrate this I conducted an online experiment with 200 participants, all of which had experience of reading research reports and a postgraduate degree (in any subject). Participants were presented with the abstracts from two published papers (one in evolutionary anthropology and one in sociology). Based on these abstracts, participants were asked to judge the quality of the research. Either one or the other of the two abstracts was manipulated through the inclusion of an extra sentence taken from a completely unrelated paper and presenting an equation that made no sense in the context.
The abstract that included the meaningless mathematics tended to be judged of higher quality. However, this "nonsense math effect" was not found among participants with degrees in mathematics, science, technology or medicine.

http://journal.sjdm.org/12/12810/jdm12810.html

@ BABE - this is on point. I'll advise everyone to test the mathematics processing ability of anyone they want to marry. People with good mathematics ability are more logical and make more thoughtful decisions. Date a smart Engineering chick and compare with a smart English or Mass communications chick - the difference is clear.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by decepticos(m): 6:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
nijanigga: Only in Nigeria you have many educated illiterates,unknown to these morons that great philosophers,poets etc were also great mathematicians,name them Pythagoras,Plato,Galileo,Lagrange,Aristotle etal.Just goggle great mathematicians and philosophers.If Mathematics wasn't of help to them they would have dumped it.The thing with Nigerians is that we love "short cut" to anything good.Understandably many are are forced to pursue a course,but those guys had fun playing with numbers,you must learn to have fun in learning. Even Albert Einstein studied classics.
"As God calculates so the world is made". Leibniz.
is this supposed to be a suggestion to a stereotype, come on bro not all nigerians are as you think. The flaw is everybody solves math everyday they dont just want to accept it. We sometimes fail to realize that for every decision to be made at least two major variables are considered, the independent variables determine the outcome which is dependent on the independents. Everybody applies this everyday from what, when and how we eat to the babe we ask out, taking it to paper is a diff ball game.
Math for me is hard and no fun but i have to apply it in a way that suits me. Math is logic.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by siddiq202(m): 6:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko: Personally, I think it should be mandatory for every aspirant to tertiary education to have at least a pass grade in mathematics.
For sciences, law, social sciences, business/commercial fields of tertiary study, a credit pass in mathematics should be mandatory.
I think that is how it is
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
Yes, maths is very important for engineers, satisticians and those in the hard sciences. It is the true language of communication and analysis in these fields. It is OBVIOUSLY less important in some other bodies of knowledge.
BTW, I laugh when some people come out to claim that maths is easy. It probably is for them, but I really wonder what level of mathematics they are referring to. I have found out that more often than not, these people seem to believe that making such statements make them appear to be smart. Even after spending a whole week solving a particular question in linear systems, partial differential equations or functions of complex variables, they still come with bold smiles and claim to the uninitiated that maths is easy, and ignore the question that was asked. It should be noted that the areas I mentioned are just part of a senior level engineering or applied science undergraduate mathematics experience. How much more difficult will graduate courses in mathematics be?
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
32-D:
IT BEATS ME HOW PEOPLE HATE/DISLIKE MATHEMATICS ....DAT HAS GOT TO BE THE SIMPLEST SUBJECT EVER...MAKES READING FUN...practise a few examples and u r good to play around till few days to exams

Forgive my curiosity, please what level of maths are you referring to?
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Kamsy10:

I will teach my kids maths first cos it expands the scope of knowledge. It makes other subjects easier especially if learned early enough but dont wait to learn maths too late cos d fear of figures wld be discouraing. To answer your question ' yes maths is important'
Seek ye first the knowledge of mathemetics and every other subject becomes a piece of cake for you
Spot on!

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nijanigga: 6:47pm On Mar 27, 2013
NeoTesla:

Forgive my curiosity, please what level of maths are you referring to?
A great mathematician once said if mathematics has examples or becomes practical then it becomes uninteresting.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by BukkyDan(f): 6:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by wanted(m): 6:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
MATHS IS LIFE. If you even study english except u won't write any job aptitude test. Even in work life if you miscalculate figures and come up with a higher expense your reputation will be at stake nobody will say you are poor at maths.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: / ASUU/NEC Meets Today In Minna. / What Made You So Popular In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.