Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Is Mathematics Really Important? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics Really Important? (13929 Views)

Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / Is Mathematics A Difficult Subject? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Chynx(m): 7:14am On Mar 28, 2013
yuzedo: NO!!!!! angry angry Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. Just open shop in Alaba. Hope dis helps, cheers. angry
Your command of your much cherished "English" is second to none! I doubt if any mathematician would murder English the way you just did. English Lover!

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Chynx(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2013
bbulldog: I promise nigerians, if I am elected as the president of this country, I WILL cAncel MATHEMATICS for nigeria students..........I pledge
You should have just told Nigerians that if elected; you wish to inject everyone with a virus that would eat-up their brains in order to build a country full of morons. Go do your campaign in Gh*n* grin

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by berbajiday(m): 7:28am On Mar 28, 2013
yuzedo: NO!!!!! angry angry Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. Just open shop in Alaba. Hope dis helps, cheers. angry
LMAO!!!!!!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Fantacy1(m): 7:42am On Mar 28, 2013
Yes! Maths is d bases 4 evry field of life especially sciences...
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by means(m): 7:47am On Mar 28, 2013
[b][/b]yuzedo: NO!!!!! Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. Just open shop in Alaba. Hope dis helps, cheers.

@Yuzedo, u just killed(murdered) English!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by vislabraye(m): 8:14am On Mar 28, 2013
Kamsy10: In my opinion 'all mathematicians are intelligent'. Though not all intelligent people are mathematicians"

You got it right.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by vislabraye(m): 8:18am On Mar 28, 2013
A scientist or an engineer wouldn't ask such question. Even an economist knows the value of maths.
If you watch the movie, "beautiful mind," you would appreciate maths.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by dgb4(m): 8:23am On Mar 28, 2013
mathematics should be made compulsory in Nigeria. that's why our politicians don't governed well, they only loot our hard earned money.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by punche(m): 9:19am On Mar 28, 2013
Mathematics makes one thinks very fast. I read Metalurgical and Materials Engineering but believe it Mathematics is so interesting.. Really wish I could go back to university. The funny thing is that this is course I used to hate while in Secondary school.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 28, 2013

Are u a cousin to patience dame jonathan, the Nigerian First Lady?...jst asking o, becos of this ur errors o...datsall
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by chic2007: 9:48am On Mar 28, 2013
Jarus: I used to be poor in Maths. In fact in primary school, I was nicknamed "I don't know maths" - for giving that as an answer when asked by my teacher to solve one maths problem. smiley

I was very poor in Maths till SS2. I was however fortunate to meet one private teacher in SSS2 who taught me factorization and that was the first 'complex' maths I knew. Almost miraculously, from that point I found myself being able to solve some questions. I decided to go back to those maths textbooks of JSS 1-3, read them myself, now got it. I later moved to SSS 1 textbook and later SS2. I can't explain how I was getting it. Few months later I wrote GCE (in SS2) and scored B2 in Maths. That was my turning point - from being complete olodo in Maths up till SS2 to scoring B2 in WAEC(only 2 people scored A1 in Maths in my set.

That motivation further drove me to go learn Further Maths voluntarily. I started from integration (imagine learning integration without starting from differentiation). Mathematical courses later became my favourites when studying economics in the university.

The point is, if you believe so much in yourself, you can be good at it.

Now, should maths be made compulsory? I think for courses as law, sociology, political science, English and other arts subjects (except philosophy) a pass (E8 - 40%) should be acceptable. For economics, geography, accounting, a credit pass (C6 - 50%) should be the minimum.

Of course, no need talking about sciences and engineering, which bedrock mathematics is.

This is really good. I have a daughter who also hates maths but I know that when one finds a really good teacher, her attitude towards it might change. Can you kindly give me the details of the private teacher so I can arrange for lessons for her. She is currently in SS2. Thanks in advance.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by chic2007: 9:50am On Mar 28, 2013
chic2007:

This is really good. I have a daughter who also hates maths but I know that when one finds a really good teacher, her attitude towards it might change. Can you kindly give me the details of the private teacher (if you still have them) so I can arrange for lessons for her. She is currently in SS2. Thanks in advance.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by bright007(f): 10:17am On Mar 28, 2013
This one is strong....Eleyi gidi gan

...Wen I was in SS1,I had this classmate who was a maths guru but wen it came to anything essay~the guy na gbagaun,na confirm yoruba boy....I remember asking him to put me through indices in classes.
He was explaining indices involving division where a number in the denominator cancels the same number in the numerator...guess how he explained it
.....seun eleyi pa seun eleyi ...meaning this seven cancels out this seven...anytime I remeber this scene,I like maths d more.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by bright007(f): 10:23am On Mar 28, 2013
chic2007:

This is really good. I have a daughter who also hates maths but I know that when one finds a really good teacher, her attitude towards it might change. Can you kindly give me the details of the private teacher so I can arrange for lessons for her. She is currently in SS2. Thanks in advance.
I hope this maths tutor is a female ooo...to avoid stories that touch
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nacl: 10:43am On Mar 28, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 10:48am On Mar 28, 2013
MY REASON FOR BRINGING DIS UP IS NOT BECOS I ENJOY IT BUT SIMPLY COS IT HURTS NOT KNOWING MATHEMATICS....
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 10:56am On Mar 28, 2013
doyexy: Wat is dis OP saying sef? U beta go and learn mathematics fast...y?
Becos most companies makes it compulsory to pass both maths and english in waec (very compulsory even if u studied an arts course)..then when u do job test,,u don't kw dat gmats, shl, and d likes r mostly mathematics??
Pls for your own sake go and learn maths and fall in love with maths because u will definitely come across it and this goes out to dose nairalanders still in skul dat entard d uni witout eida eng or maths in waec..
If u entard college witout a credit in english or maths just go and retake anoda waec or neco..if not na OYO u dey!!!!!
TANX 4 DIS BRO...I HAD C6 IN MATHS IN MY O LEVEL...PLS DONT ASK ME HOW I GOT IT..AM CURRENTLY IN MY 300L IN D GREAT UNIBEST N I WUNT BE OFFERING ANY MATHS COURSE TILL I GRADUATE..I MADE A PROMISE 2 MY SELF DAT I LL GO START 4RM D BASICS AFTA I GRADUATE.. IT PAINS ME NOT KNOWING MATHS
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 10:59am On Mar 28, 2013
Mujitapha: If u don know math, u cant think critically.
I DISAGREE WIT U..DAT REQUIRES SIMPLE LOGIC
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 11:04am On Mar 28, 2013
nijanigga: Only in Nigeria you have many educated illiterates,unknown to these morons that great philosophers,poets etc were also great mathematicians,name them Pythagoras,Plato,Galileo,Lagrange,Aristotle etal.Just goggle great mathematicians and philosophers.If Mathematics wasn't of help to them they would have dumped it.The thing with Nigerians is that we love "short cut" to anything good.Understandably many are are forced to pursue a course,but those guys had fun playing with numbers,you must learn to have fun in learning. Even Albert Einstein studied classics.
"As God calculates so the world is made". Leibniz.
U RE SPOT ON
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 11:08am On Mar 28, 2013
nna_bu_ike: "Is Mathematics Really Important?"

What a stupid question to ask!
ASKING DIS QUESTION WASNT OPTIONAL BRODA...TRY READ 4RM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 11:11am On Mar 28, 2013
vislabraye: A scientist or an engineer wouldn't ask such question. Even an economist knows the value of maths.
If you watch the movie, "beautiful mind," you would appreciate maths.
NOTED...AHMO GO SEARCH 4 DAT MOVIE
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Gwekzy: 11:13am On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k:

I don't mean to brag but maths its in my family's dna; hence, d reason u don't know maths is cos there's a dunce ontop of ur family tree dat hv transfered dull genes to u tongue

But I don't c any big deal wit maths, I even taught my own classmates! Now u said u're studying political science...hence u're aiming 2 b a politician....just know dat d moment u steal govt money, u'll get caught by a blind man cos u don't know d basics of 1+1 tongue
BE USEFUL BRO....
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by DrTony1(m): 11:19am On Mar 28, 2013
carr96: I hate maths with a passion but iv never actually "failed" the subject...
What can I say? grin grin
I'm a medical student and Personally I don't think its important sha!
Had †ђε same scenario back in high school days, didn't like it but did well at it.
But as a med student u can't say its not necessary, which MBBS programme are you doing right now miss? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? cos if you have done public health, then you ll know maths its important, also coming to real life hospital experience you would be faced with challenges on how to calculate fluid loss & fluid replacement, very important especially in paediatrics, then you ll know that truely maths is relevant to all fields & †ђε field of medicine is not excluded.
Thanks
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 28, 2013
Olekumaster: you claimed that in your first year as a political science student, you did maths? I beg to disagree with you. I'm a politcal science student(300L) @Kogi State University. Not until your 2nd semester in 200L before you will come across a course related to mathematics, (and that's statistics). So my question ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ̣̇, where your own school d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥? Wey na maths dem first d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ teach you
go jare! Which school u sef go?? I also graduated from political science in Olabisi Onabanjo University, we did compulsory introductory mathematics in 100L and 200L, it was not our departmental course but a faculty course for all social and management sciences course. Then in 300L, we pol.sci did a departmental course which is purely statistics. You can't just argue like dat..schools are different from each other.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by darel007(m): 12:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
yuzedo: NO!!!!! angry angry Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. angry
well first of all i must say that this nairalander needs some basic lecture in english.he can't even make a good sentence in english.back to the matter.i feel that understanding fundamental principles in maths helps to develop reasoning and besides for a mind that can comprehend some key principles in maths,such mind will be a mind that probes deep for maths indeed makes your logical part of the brain developed.that said,i believe for those in social sciences you do basically statistics which is a comprehensible part of maths,for those in law you do basically logic which is a very important aspect of law,for us in sciences and engineering maths is our bedrock n a sure foundation for all our courses.so maths is important 2 al.by d way i'm a maths student in unilag
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2013
chic2007:

Well, the one that did the magic for me is in Kwara state.
Not having my education in Lagos or have children of school age, I don't know much about teachers in Lagos.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by iota: 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2013
sorry for your live. u may end up as political thug. learn few maths like factorization, simple and quardratic equation to know when to change and define ur x and y. possibly wen to bring ur Anini and Akpabio. math is all about everyday live. get interested

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by pgiddy(m): 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
Mathano: Maths is d best subject ever,I luv mathematics,playing with ordinary differential equatn,groups and rings nd studying direct nd Iterative way of solving equtns.In short maths is fun.
homomorphism,monomorphissm and epimorphism, u must b a maths major. I love mathematics
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by gift53(f): 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
yorke: Maths is my favorite course anytime any-day.....kinda wondering what i could have done without it. Any course that had to do you maths was my saving grace back in school.

Op,maths is very important cos all our day to day activities revolve around it.
are we twins??... seriously, maths has always been my best n i dnt think i could hav done well in any course not related to calculations
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nijanigga: 4:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
NeoTesla:

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, but you come off as someone who is interested in pure mathematics. Pure mathematicians seem to love mathematics for mathematics sake. For those in the applied sciences and engineering, I am quite sure mathematics that has examples and is practical is what they find beautiful, interesting and enjoyable. But it is by no means easy.
For fun sake, I just remembered this joke that involved a pure mathematician, an engineer and a physicist:

A physicist, an engineer and a mathematician were all in a hotel sleeping when a fire broke out in their respective rooms. The physicist woke up, saw the fire, ran over to his desk, pulled out his CRC, and began working out all sorts of fluid dynamics equations. After a couple minutes, he threw down his pencil, got a graduated cylinder out of his suitcase, and measured out a precise amount of water. He threw it on the fire, extinguishing it, with not a drop wasted, and went back to sleep. The engineer woke up, saw the fire, ran into the bathroom, turned on the faucets full-blast, flooding out the entire apartment, which put out the fire, and went back to sleep. The mathematician woke up, saw the fire, ran over to his desk, began working through theorems, lemmas, hypotheses , you-name-it, and after a few minutes, put down his pencil triumphantly and exclaimed, "I have *proven* that I *can* put the fire out!" He then went back to sleep.
Worst joke ever.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nijanigga: 4:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
Nacl: shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You use them everyday,unaware,understanding them will make you and the society a better planet.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by tantita(m): 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
dfolan: in the Western part of the world mathematics is indispensable but not in this part of the world I mean sub Sahara Africa what we do in Africa is theoretical not applied. in western countries mathematics is applied in various fields to solve problems
....dnt sy dt pls we apply it 2 bt to solve our own problem jst ask those greedy accountants if dnt blive me!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: / ASUU/NEC Meets Today In Minna. / What Made You So Popular In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.