Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Is Mathematics Really Important? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics Really Important? (13930 Views)

Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / Is Mathematics A Difficult Subject? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by elmajid(m): 6:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
My bros i hate maths pass u, but men, the knowledge of even a little maths is d begining of wisdom in ur daily productive transactions, nd i mean n what eva u do.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by kingston247: 7:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Everytin in dis life is an equation(mathematics)...its just a question of X and Y....if u good in maths all other subject ll b easy...maths made me an engineer today,believe me I can turn anytin to an equation....God bless Newton,Albert Earstian,Pythagoras etc....
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Dospix(m): 7:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
I hate mathematics with passion. Mathematis is not my calling...student of english for life.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
nijanigga:
A great mathematician once said if mathematics has examples or becomes practical then it becomes uninteresting.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, but you come off as someone who is interested in pure mathematics. Pure mathematicians seem to love mathematics for mathematics sake. For those in the applied sciences and engineering, I am quite sure mathematics that has examples and is practical is what they find beautiful, interesting and enjoyable. But it is by no means easy.
For fun sake, I just remembered this joke that involved a pure mathematician, an engineer and a physicist:

A physicist, an engineer and a mathematician were all in a hotel sleeping when a fire broke out in their respective rooms. The physicist woke up, saw the fire, ran over to his desk, pulled out his CRC, and began working out all sorts of fluid dynamics equations. After a couple minutes, he threw down his pencil, got a graduated cylinder out of his suitcase, and measured out a precise amount of water. He threw it on the fire, extinguishing it, with not a drop wasted, and went back to sleep. The engineer woke up, saw the fire, ran into the bathroom, turned on the faucets full-blast, flooding out the entire apartment, which put out the fire, and went back to sleep. The mathematician woke up, saw the fire, ran over to his desk, began working through theorems, lemmas, hypotheses , you-name-it, and after a few minutes, put down his pencil triumphantly and exclaimed, "I have *proven* that I *can* put the fire out!" He then went back to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by ewet: 7:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
Gwekzy: If Mathematics was the only course to offer in the university I would prolly won't go to school...I lost interest in it since my early sec sch days..I rememba when i was in ss1 i had F9 in maths dere is no point being ashamed...Yeah I did n many whose gona read aint any better..am not a dull boy,hell no..as a matter of fact am in d university doin really well...trust me when i say ave really tried in knwin maths all to no avail...am a political scientist n in my 100 level 1st semester i had A's in all my courses except 1 maths course which i had D...not even sure if i deserved it...my questions are as follows ...are sum pple blessed with maths understandin? Is it really necessary for maths 2 be compulsory in secondary schs? Why wuld a political scientist like me be offering calculation courses in d university? 2 round it up, I hate maths.
Men you are not alone and there is really nothng to be ashamed abt.Maths is important but anythng beyond the basics i do not feel it shuld be a matter of compulsion for evrybody.I really goofed at math myself and it made me an average student.but i made up my mind tht i would make up for it in the subjects i was good at.I read sociology, university of Ilorin class of 2005 and i was one of the brightest.
Just work on your strenghts and be contented with the little math you know,you really do not need much of the stuff beyond division,addition,multiplication and subtraction.however as a pol sci student statistics is equally important.Goodluck we really need good political scientist to help us solve our political lacun in naija. wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
math is not meant for humans.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Blackentity: 7:27pm On Mar 27, 2013
So you don't know that mathematics is very important in schools?
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by nnabuike1(m): 7:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
"Is Mathematics Really Important?"

What a stupid question to ask!

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
As a Computer Science student, I will honestly tell you that math is everything. I used to have the same mind-set as you but once I discovered something called discrete maths, well I had to make myself like the subject.
So yeah, Maths is really, really important to me.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by buske(m): 7:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
Hmmm,the phones computers and other gadgets u use...wetin u tink say make them?.....Maths is more important than u tink ooo...
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by manny4life(m): 7:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
nna_bu_ike: "Is Mathematics Really Important?"

What a stupid question to ask!

No it isn't a silly question, but a very honest one that requires honest and insightful answers. It's your types AND Profs, that made the OP and others hate math without having the patience to explain to them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Didi8: 7:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics is the most important subject. Those who say that maths has nothing to do with philosophy and linguistics need to know that at a point maths is philosophy and philosophy is maths, and that some aspects of linguistics is complete maths too. Thats is the much I can say here. I thank God I passed maths well in school. It has helped me so much.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by jmoore(m): 7:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
Maths is the simplest, you only need the formula and the answer will arrive. eg if x=1 and y=4 what is x+y? ans=5 smiley
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by SpaceWorld2013(m): 7:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
I'll teach you maths from O'level to A'level for free
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
jmoore: Maths is the simplest, you only need the formula and the answer will arrive. eg if x=1 and y=4 what is x+y? ans=5 smiley

Another misleading post. Next time say arithmetic and introductory algebra are easy.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by waldigit: 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
US classifies literacy as follows: Word literacy(read,write,& speak) Maths literacy and Computer literacy. So to avoid being half baked pls. Update youself in every aspect of literacy.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Ojobojo1(m): 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
yuzedo: NO!!!!! angry angry Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. Just open shop in Alaba. Hope dis helps, cheers. angry
LMAO,see d english of someone who says english is more important
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by amosuoluwaseyi(m): 8:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
am a political science student too, i hate maths like GEJ
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
amosuoluwaseyi: am a political science student too, i hate maths like GEJ
GEJ hates maths?
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Ojobojo1(m): 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
Maths is the most important course on earth,see all day to day calculations i.e Buying and Selling to complex engineering maths which are used to create products for the improvement of life.You won't really appreciate maths except you are a mathematician or engineer.I'm studying electrical engineering and I tell you,secondary school maths is trash,when u start doing maths dat tells u x*x=x,x+1=x,x+x=0,you will know dat secondary school maths is just 4 kids.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
SKYQUEST:

Doing well in Maths is all about interest. I wrote SSCE and WASCE thrice because of Mathematics. This however lead to my self discovery in Math; got A1 in my last attempt, went ahead to UNILAG to study mathematically related course and finished another mathematically related professional course in a record time.

Nice seeing someone with same experience.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by jmoore(m): 8:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
NeoTesla:

Another misleading post. Next time say arithmetic and introductory algebra are easy.
Maths is diverse. Arithmetic and algebra are part of mathematics
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
I hate maths with a passion but iv never actually "failed" the subject...
What can I say? grin grin
I'm a medical student and Personally I don't think its important sha!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by NosaHenry(m): 8:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
I am surprised that in this jet age person still ask the relevant of mathematics. Maths is everything and in everything
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by lagcity(m): 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
seyilabi: If X+Y+8= find the value of X/Y?.what has that got to do with POG in the market?.

It has a lot to do with price of garri in the market. You and your 2 broke friends decide to collectively buy garri Ijebu in bulk in order to get a better deal on pricing. You contribute N5000, Emeka contributes N4000 while Adamu puts in N6000. So you (seyilabi) buy 50 kilograms of garri with the money and decide to give each friend his proportionate share of the garri. Now how do you share the garri without Adamu breaking a Gulder bottle on your head?

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 27, 2013
Kamsy10: In my opinion 'all mathematicians are intelligent'. Though not all intelligent people are mathematicians"
i agree with u. Mathematics is the root of human knowledge. Politically, analysis of a mathematician in court makes awolowo lost to shagari. algebra, logic, probability, statistics ,business maths are some of what students learn in school. There is no field of human endeavour that does not need an aspect of mathematics.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
Kamsy10: In my opinion 'all mathematicians are intelligent'. Though not all intelligent people are mathematicians"

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by cigaricon(m): 8:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
Its not as if i hate the subject entirely, its just some of the topics i hate e.g logarithm, surds chai i hate these two like i hate boko haram eh.

the thing is that if you find the subject very knoty, just try and master at least six of its topics (for passing's sake oh)
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
jmoore:
Maths is diverse. Arithmetic and algebra are part of mathematics

Let me illustrate my point with this. There are hundred people in a hall. 2 of hall's occupants' heights measure 1.6m. The other 98 occupants have heights ranging from 1.8m to 1.96m. Given that I happen to meet the shortest two people and no one else, can I say that the heights of the hall's occupants is about 1.6cm?

BTW, Algebra isn't easy either. I said introductory algebra.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by babaowo: 8:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ojobojo1: Maths is the most important course on earth,see all day to day calculations i.e Buying and Selling to complex engineering maths which are used to create products for the improvement of life.You won't really appreciate maths except you are a mathematician or engineer.I'm studying electrical engineering and I tell you,secondary school maths is trash,when u start doing maths dat tells u x*x=x,x+1=x,x+x=0,you will know dat secondary school maths is just 4 kids.
.....lol
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Rick9(m): 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2013
I hate maths, cos of maths am still at home i grad from highs in 2011 but maths is keeping me at home, i had a D(pass) Grade and i cant use it,
shall i cry or what,

! Just hate maths,i want to study pubADMIN Or Sociology,
wetin Maths dey find there self. Wtf

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: / ASUU/NEC Meets Today In Minna. / What Made You So Popular In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.