Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Is Mathematics Really Important? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics Really Important? (13928 Views)

Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? / Is Mathematics A Difficult Subject? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by samkoro: 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
As a matter of fact,God used mathematics to create the universe.Everything ,both phycal and spiritual is essentialy numbers.Ur bed Time,body Temp,Food calorie and quantity,distance to church,biological clock,space time and distance,body weight etc Everything in existence could be reduced to numbers.

Without numbers and mathematical relationships,the universe will dissappeaar.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by dachisom(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
OP you nid to know math.i 4 one was a commercial student nd intended 2 b an acctant bt ended up as a mathematician.had it bin dat i hated math or have no idea of it, wat wud hv bin my fate.i wasnt that gud in it back in high sch, bt i needed to face when it mattered.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by calcal: 9:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics is a perfect science. OP as a future politician, we are in serious problem in this country.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by MrMcJay(m): 9:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
My hatred for maths is only superceeded by that for the devil. When I was in SS3, my maths teacher called me to the mathemetics staff room one day and pointedly told me that she'll like to see what I would become without mathematics. All my life, that statement never left my head. I decided to work on my core arts courses for UTME and apply to a university that didn't require maths for admission. A year later, I got admitted into Law at OAU with a Pass in maths and a Post Ume score of 310/400.
This was only able to work out 'cos I wasn't in any of the management, science or social sciences.

The important thing for everyone is to find out your strenghts, work on it and find out where it is required.

Whenever I see my Maths teacher, I'll tell her that 'without mathemetics, I became a lawyer'.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by 32D: 9:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
NeoTesla:

Forgive my curiosity, please what level of maths are you referring to?
d entire chain i can attest to....@ least up to masters level
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by osifred(m): 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2013
While I agree that mathematics is needful in our everyday life I think some topics which doesn't have direct relevant should be taken out from the syllabus especially as it relate to those who wouldn't major in maths
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
Gwekzy: If Mathematics was the only course to offer in the university I would prolly won't go to school...I lost interest in it since my early sec sch days..I rememba when i was in ss1 i had F9 in maths dere is no point being ashamed...Yeah I did n many whose gona read aint any better..am not a dull boy,hell no..as a matter of fact am in d university doin really well...trust me when i say ave really tried in knwin maths all to no avail...am a political scientist n in my 100 level 1st semester i had A's in all my courses except 1 maths course which i had D...not even sure if i deserved it...my questions are as follows ...are sum pple blessed with maths understandin? Is it really necessary for maths 2 be compulsory in secondary schs? Why wuld a political scientist like me be offering calculation courses in d university? 2 round it up, I hate maths.

I don't mean to brag but maths its in my family's dna; hence, d reason u don't know maths is cos there's a dunce ontop of ur family tree dat hv transfered dull genes to u tongue

But I don't c any big deal wit maths, I even taught my own classmates! Now u said u're studying political science...hence u're aiming 2 b a politician....just know dat d moment u steal govt money, u'll get caught by a blind man cos u don't know d basics of 1+1 tongue

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
32-D:

d entire chain i can attest to....@ least up to masters level

That's very impressive then. You must be one in a million.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by cycluse: 9:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Maths is the foundation of every subject,it help in building and expanding your knowledge to other subject,I'm not saying you most be a guru in maths but at lease you most know the basis of maths is very important.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by indoorlove(m): 9:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics runs in my blood. I love it with passion.!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by eagle25: 9:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
Kamsy10:

I will teach my kids maths first cos it expands the scope of knowledge. It makes other subjects easier especially if learned early enough but dont wait to learn maths too late cos d fear of figures wld be discouraing. To answer your question ' yes maths is important'
Seek ye first the knowledge of mathematics and every other subject becomes a piece of cake for you
Yeh,it even takes the knowledge mathimatics to botton your shirt.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by wi5dom(m): 10:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
If you don't like maths sud not mean it is useless nor will a university drop its standard. Maths is a problem to dose who hate maths and a source of pleasure for dos who love it but at the same time it is a source of restlessness if he/she did not get the right answer to a question.
To me Maths is fun!!!!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by jmoore(m): 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
NeoTesla:

Let me illustrate my point with this. There are hundred people in a hall. 2 of hall's occupants' heights measure 1.6m. The other 98 occupants have heights ranging from 1.8m to 1.96m. Given that I happen to meet the shortest two people and no one else, can I say that the heights of the hall's occupants is about 1.6cm?

BTW, Algebra isn't easy either. I said introductory algebra.

can't you get the point? Maths is the general term. smh
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by coputa(m): 10:27pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mathematics makes one to think analxtically which improves your problem solving skills
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Kaxmytex(m): 10:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
[size=28pt]The mystery behind Mathematics is dat,it deals with determination...
Once u determine say u wan knw a particular topic,no matter hw hard d topic iz,u go knw am,even if dem wake u up 4rm ur slip and dem tok say make u kum solve a question 4rm dat particular topic,u no go knw d tym wey u go solve am finish....
Buh if u wan kill ursef,jux tok say u hate mathematics or u hate ur maths teacher.......i swear 2 gawd,dat person iz as gud as dead....
[/size]

[size=28pt]i r'mba dose dayz when i still dey ss1.....o boi,i hate maths 2 d extent dat,i alwayz fly out of d class through d window when it'z maths period...i did that 4 a complete whole year,when d result came out,i had f9 in mathematics buh d rest of my subjects na distinctions.....d skul had no alternative than 2 stamp 'promoted' on my report sheet buh my papa tok say,4 failing mathematics which was hiz best subject,i'm nothin buh a bastard and i hv 2 repeat d class.....my mum waz lyk,whattttt!....Big Thnks 2 d lovely mum wey God give me o,she pleaded on my behalf 4 complete 2wks b4 my father agree o.....
hmmm....i notice some changes in d attitude of my dad buh i dnt care..wot kips flashing in my brain waz d statement he made"u're nothin buh a BASTARD".....anytym wey i r'mba dat statement,e go b as if dem stab me....
One day i dey search 4 sumtin insyd mah bag,i kum see my new general mathematics textbook...."so,na diz book wey dey make my papa 2 dey call me bastard" "wetin dey insyd diz book sef wey i no fit knw"...i said 2 myself..
Dat was hw i got my own determination...i determine within masef dat at all cost,i must knw diz tin.....
I promoted 2 ss2 buh i still dey work on ss1 txtbook...right 4rm then,i no dey score 80+,d least wey i alwayz score na 90+.....the tym wey i kum give my papa my result,all i see waz a smile on hiz cheeks...,.hope am no more a bastard,dad? Hey! C'mmon mah boy,u knw i aint mean dat...dem tok say waec and neco maths dey tough....i got mah beautiful A's wey dey dance azonto and etighi all wit ease...
Mathematics is d "most simplestest" subject o...dnt get it twisted
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by 9jagobetter: 11:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
The truth? Mathematics is probably the most important subject. Almost everything revolves around maths.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by usdane: 11:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mujitapha: If u don know math, u cant think critically.
and sumtyms Rationally...
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Ibime(m): 11:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
Cori_corde: Math is necessary for implementation and application. It's like the framework of Physics and other Sciences.
But it isn't taught very well in Nigerian schools. They teach students to pass exams rather than truly learning. But really, math is quite interesting.

You are wrong darling. Maths is taught very well in Nigerian schools, a lot better than it is taught in European schools. It is only when you get to University level that European schools catch up with their Nigerian counterparts and then overtake them due to better use of ICT for computing algorithms and decision analysis etc. Other than that, Nigerian secondary schools are head and shoulders above anything to be found in Europe when it comes to MATHEMATICS!

@ topic,

Maths is certainly very important in all endeavours and many people have made uninformed decisions in life due to poor Mathematical background. Take one girl at my office who is on 50k and was offered 75k by another company which was even closer to her house and a good step up in her CV. She told me she turned it down because her and her new husband are trying for a baby and the other company offer no maternity pay for the first year whilst our company offer full maternity pay for 6 weeks only, and 10% for the next 7.5 months. I simply told her that all she would have had to do was to save the difference in salary for 12 weeks in order to make up the 6 week maternity difference, whilst a further 1.5 months of saving the difference in salary will cover the full 7.5 months @ 10% salary. Just an example of poor application of Maths in everyday life.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by zubinike(m): 11:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
Yeah mathematics is too vital,in compiling these results for linguistic students,I do believe maths is involved,those who studied education did little curriculum which involved mathematics..I do believe mathematics should be involved big time.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
Me sef dey always wonder this issue oh. I use to feel addition, subtraction, division and multiplication are simply the basic arithmetic dat we should know. Shikena! Shey i wan dey do bearing, longitude and latitude for bank ni?? Or i wan dey solve logarithm and indices for goverment office??
Ok..seriously, my comment may sound like dat of a lay man..but thats simply the fact. Though i didn't hate math in sec sch, i never failed it. But now, i suddenly developed hatred for it in the uni..it doesn't have anything to do with my course anyway. So when we had to do introductory math in 100L and 200L, i hated it with a passion mehn! I tot whats the phucking use??for pete's sake i'm in political sci department?! Duh! angry
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by linearity: 12:24am On Mar 28, 2013
The Mathematics you do at WAEC is very important, because the truth is that at that level all you are doing is mainly Arithmetic.

We all need Arithmetic, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with real numbers and operators to be good Poet, Lawyer, Linguistic or Engineer.... But we do not all need the other aspect of Mathematics which deals with unreal numbers, Calculus, theorems, integrations, differentiations, etc.

Except for a very few questions, every question in your WAEC is Arithmetic and not the Mathematic that the Engineer or Scientists would need to be good in their profession and Yes at that level at least a P in Arithmetic should be compulsory to read any course in the University.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by linearity: 12:35am On Mar 28, 2013
From my experience, maths was the easiest subject and I hated English with a passion and but love Maths and always Ace it.

My brain lights up and ready to assimilate every and anything whenever the Maths teacher walk into in the class but it shuts down whenever the English teacher is teaching and all am interested in is when he is going to leave.

So, it really boils down to where you put your focus and love....
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by ikpom55: 12:43am On Mar 28, 2013
Without mathematics which is the bedrock of engineering and technology you will not be typing this.
To your question about if you will ever need mathematics as a political scientist, I will say it can come handy when making political analysis, where you will have to correctly make use of division, multiplication, addition etc of figures and data.Don't you hope to one day speak intelligently on the world stage about international politics/economics? You will really need a basic understanding of elementary mathematics then, cause you will not want to mix-up your figures/data.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by mikyke(m): 12:51am On Mar 28, 2013
yuzedo: NO!!!!! angry angry Only English are important. Is a this-grace dat dey still teaches Maths in skoool. dey shud change to Quantitative. Nobody need Algibra, calculux, aritmetick, geometri, etc to progrees in life. Just open shop in Alaba. Hope dis helps, cheers. angry
God's grace is sufficient for us all and u need "this-grace" to be able to spell DISGRACE!
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by 19naia(m): 12:58am On Mar 28, 2013
there is a science to every art and an art to every science....Music can be seen as a part of foundation of mathmatics and music performance also helps today to enhance math performance...Math was born out of art as did every science..So dont seperate them and one without the other will lead to confusion....
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by honorsam(m): 1:04am On Mar 28, 2013
Yes,it provides means through which critical thinking skills can be refined and applied in real life.Most part of our daily life revolves around it,as its almost impossible to live a life secluded from basic maths skills.We are able to handle discounts quoted in percentages,budgets,interests and debt discrepancies thru basic Maths skills learnt in school.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 4:33am On Mar 28, 2013
Me sef dey always wonder this issue oh. I use to feel addition, subtraction, division and multiplication are simply the basic arithmetic dat we should know. Shikena! Shey i wan dey do bearing, longitude and latitude for bank ni?? Or i wan dey solve logarithm and indices for goverment office?? Ok..seriously, my comment may sound like dat of a lay man..but thats simply the fact. Though i didn't hate math in sec sch, i never failed it. But now, i suddenly developed hatred for it in the uni..it doesn't have anything to do with my course anyway. So when we had to do introductory math in 100L and 200L, i hated it with a passion mehn! I tot whats the phucking use??for pete's sake i'm in political sci department?! Duh!??

ahn ahn! which one be your own sef? Mathematics sharpens analytical skills. Your ability to grasp and play with complex math problems makes almost other subjects you learn relatively easier as it helps you analyze/think through concepts rigorously.

Gotcha love math o. na d only way to go be dat.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by jeffizy(m): 4:46am On Mar 28, 2013
Gwekzy: Yea i wuld prollY do dat...But dat ll be in my resting yrs...I c no reason y a Linguistic studenT shld be offerin maths...Its lame
Mathematics is an encompassing subject. It gives you not just figures to play with, but also stimulates your reasoning vis-a-vis quantitative and verbal.
Do you know why maths will be necessary in linguistics?
It will enhance your brain to assimilate the different aspects in the subject. Lol.
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by bbulldog(m): 5:40am On Mar 28, 2013
I promise nigerians, if I am elected as the president of this country, I WILL cAncel MATHEMATICS for nigeria students..........I pledge
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Nobody: 6:43am On Mar 28, 2013
you claimed that in your first year as a political science student, you did maths? I beg to disagree with you. I'm a politcal science student(300L) @Kogi State University. Not until your 2nd semester in 200L before you will come across a course related to mathematics, (and that's statistics). So my question ȋ̝̊̅​ƨ̣̇, where your own school d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥? Wey na maths dem first d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ teach you
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Petraman(m): 6:48am On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author ...am a political scientist n in my 100 level 1st semester i had A's in all my courses except 1 maths course which i had D...[/quote]
No dey bobo us for here jo... We're also university students and we've 'political animals' - political scientists as friend, and i've never had or seen them doing any mathematics in 100level talkless of 1st semester. D only thing i know is dat dey can borrow from Economics, Bus. Admin., History, Religion, among others which are not mathematical aspect of these courses. U're only saying this just cos u hate Mathematics. As for me, i'm a geographer by profession and i like mathematics, even i'll av preferred to be a mathematician but due to d fact dat i'm not a science student and admission problem dat's y i'm now a geographer. So no dey bobo us for here o, 'So gbo?'
Re: Is Mathematics Really Important? by Ibehdonl(m): 6:51am On Mar 28, 2013
To be honest,mathematics is my favourite soup.maths is as simple as A,B,C.i love maths d same way i love chelsea fc.of all d subjects i did in mechanical engineering,maths is my favourite,dats y i taught maths during my nysc yr in Aragba Sec. Sch,aragba-orogun.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: / ASUU/NEC Meets Today In Minna. / What Made You So Popular In Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.