Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year (8125 Views)

Ogun To Commission 40 Projects For The Commemoration Of Her 40th Anniversary / Dickson Hoodwinks Jonathan To Commission Flyover - Sahara Reporters / Aregbesola Set To Commission Ejigbo High School (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 29, 2013
Why can't FG replace the "TO" with "HAS"

4 Likes

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by thelastPope(m): 10:10am On Mar 29, 2013
Nonybb: The question is, will these NIPP project automatically eradicate the eratic power supply in the country. Wat if after commissing these projects, which the federal govt often boost and brag about, should we call it uhuru in the area of generation. Or should we commission these ones and wait if thats wats really need to argument our power sorry state. I have waited for years for somebody, perphaps one person to answer this question but none. Is the ten NIPP the answer? And wat if it is not, another promise?

Power is a multi-faceted industry. Power generation is just one part. The FG has actually being tackling every part silmultaneously.

Generation is being tackled by building of new plants and fixing of old ones

Transmission is being tackled with building and commissioning of backbones after backbones. The Benin-Onitsha N1 line was commissioned about a month ago. That is the first of its kind, two way line in Nigeria that meets international standard.

Transmission was also solidified with the contracting of Manitoba, a major Canadian power firm to run the Transmission company of Nigeria, which was one of the companies created from the unbundled PHCN.

Distribution has been tackled with the sale of the 16 DISCOs accross the country. That is now done and dusted and we are patiently awaiting the full takeoff of the new owners. Right now, they are all setting up their structures. Some of you will notice that the "PHCN" guys coming to read meters are now assigning new numbers to the meters.

NERC (National Electricity Regulation Commission) was setup to regulate the industry according to international best practices. NERC is to the power industry what NCC is to the telecom industry

So all these are going on and sincerely, it is a process that requires some patience. But so far, there has been no setback even in the face of blatant sabotage. We have crossed major milestones. We pray and believe we will reap major fruits sooner than later.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by fkaz(m): 10:12am On Mar 29, 2013
And so
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by thelastPope(m): 10:14am On Mar 29, 2013
chiover: Why can't FG replace the "TO" with "HAS"

Because they are not building 10 classroom blocks for primary school. They are building power plants. It takes time.

And if they don't inform you of what is going on, youu will be the first to insult them and accuse them of doing nothing.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by a1solution: 10:18am On Mar 29, 2013
thelastPope:

It is bad that you have 3 days darkness but you should learn to address issues properly. You should learn how power works. That there is darkness in UNIPORT doesn't mean there is darkness in the whole of PH. It doesn't also mean other parts of Nigeria is not enjoying improved supply.

Sometimes you have to come together in the community where you live and find out what the problem is, then put serious pressure on the local DISCO to fix it. Your problem could be a feeder line, a broken down trasmission station or a bad transformer. That is not something you should come to NL or the presidency to tackle. You have to take the fight to the local DISCO. The president is not going to go round the country checking hundreds of thousands of transformers and feeder lines. Take your issues to the local DISCO and put pressure on them to get it sorted.
You know the guy may not have money to settle the PHCN guys which always request for money before anything can be done urgently.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by otumfour(m): 10:23am On Mar 29, 2013
DJDOLA: yes it improve in my area...we use 2 to 3 hours light in 2days...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by RedLight1: 10:26am On Mar 29, 2013
payless:

I stand by my post. Obasanjo went to commission some of these projects in River State, Kwara State, and few other places between 2005 and 2007. As per the 2009, it was typing error on my part. Of course Obasanjo left on May 29, 2007.
bros stop been ignorant ..u have been schooled...learn already
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by hillsate: 10:26am On Mar 29, 2013
Another story. . .
Until the bulb in my house shows light, I ain't believing any 10 power plants propaganda. I can't believe a government whose main mission is to lie to nigerians, pardon criminals and bully nigerians.
Power plants without gas to run them. Who is deceiving who?

1 Like

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by glen87: 10:29am On Mar 29, 2013
I use this medium to plead to PHCN and the NIPP to kindly help us at Rumuola around college of Art and Science. We hardly see light. In a week, it can only be 2hours in total. Please we are Nigerians and also have the right to what's good like the way others enjoy. GEJ pls intervene
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by Activity77(m): 10:29am On Mar 29, 2013
thelastPope:

It is bad that you have 3 days darkness but you should learn to address issues properly. You should learn how power works. That there is darkness in UNIPORT doesn't mean there is darkness in the whole of PH. It doesn't also mean other parts of Nigeria is not enjoying improved supply.

Sometimes you have to come together in the community where you live and find out what the problem is, then put serious pressure on the local DISCO to fix it. Your problem could be a feeder line, a broken down trasmission station or a bad transformer. That is not something you should come to NL or the presidency to tackle. You have to take the fight to the local DISCO. The president is not going to go round the country checking hundreds of thousands of transformers and feeder lines. Take your issues to the local DISCO and put pressure on them to get it sorted.

Seconded
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by thelastPope(m): 10:32am On Mar 29, 2013
lmay18: I pray the situation improve but for now power in my area in Lagos is getting worse averyday we hardly have power this days, not as bad like this before.

Lagos is a perculiar case for 2 major reasons.

1. Because of the population of Lagos, the amount of power supplied is grossly inadequate as compared to other states. That is why states like Edo, Osun, Imo, have far better power supply. Because of this, there is rationing in most parts of Lagos while some parts are given more priority than others. In Agbara for example, power is almost 24 hours because it is an industrial area.

2. Second problem with Lagos is that the rapid population growth meant that the demands have far outgrown the infrastruture on the ground. Transformers that were meant to serve 20 to 30 houses are now serving 150 houses. Feeder lines that were meant to serve a 3 mile radius are now serving 25 miles. Trasmission stations meant to serve a small LGA now serves like 2 LGAs ten times the size of the initial projection. So even after many of these power plants are commissioned and more power is supplied to Lagos, new infrastructure will have to be built by the new owners. The good news is that many of these new infrastucture are already being built. Examples are the 3 new transmission stations recently commissioned. So there is great hope for the future.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by Ebestsmscom: 10:36am On Mar 29, 2013
Good improvement.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by brownlord: 10:39am On Mar 29, 2013
chiover: Why can't FG replace the "TO" with "HAS"

Exactly my point, i wonder why all the "TO" keep making headlines and front page, they shld keep every of their plan to themselves until actualise, let them bring it to the media after it has bn commission n is working out, no be one polithiefcian sitdown for e palour drink odeku finish begin commision tins from e bed room

1 Like

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by elOnuh(m): 10:40am On Mar 29, 2013
hearing abt his improving effort on electricity doesn't make his govt OKAY. I wl keep seeing it as d worst until it affects my life positively.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by ocelot2006(m): 10:40am On Mar 29, 2013
thelastPope:

1. Because of the population of Lagos, the amount of power supplied is grossly inadequate as compared to other states. That is why states like Edo, Osun, Imo, have far better power supply. Because of this, there is rationing in most parts of Lagos while some parts are given more priority than others. In Agbara for example, power is almost 24 hours because it is an industrial area.

2. Second problem with Lagos is that the rapid population growth meant that the demands have far outgrown the infrastruture on the ground. Transformers that were meant to serve 20 to 30 houses are now serving 150 houses. Feeder lines that were meant to serve a 3 mile radius are now serving 25 miles. Trasmission stations meant to serve a small LGA now serves like 2 LGAs ten times the size of the initial projection. So even after many of these power plants are commissioned and more power is supplied to Lagos, new infrastructure will have to be built by the new owners. The good news is that many of these new infrastucture are already being built. Examples are the 3 new transmission stations recently commissioned. So there is great hope for the future.

Excellent post. Nothing else to add.

1 Like

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by brownlord: 10:46am On Mar 29, 2013
But wait o, as them dey commission this, them don give the business man polithiefcian wen dey sale diesel take sponsor their party and promise us say as far as em dey sale diesel nigeria no fit get stable electricity another work wen em go dey do?, i sabi say all of una know this person wey i dey talk
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by ultraGM: 10:47am On Mar 29, 2013
THIS IS ANOTHER CORRUPTED LIE

National Integrated Power Project, (NIPP) has been commissioned since OBJ regime, and all of them should have been (expected to be) completed by 2015, while some are in partial operation
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Nigeria

The National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) was planned as a "fast track" project with 7 power stations conceived in 2005 by the immediate past President Olusegun Obasanjo's Administration of the Federal Government of Nigeria to address the twin issues of low electric power generation and gas flaring from oil exploration in the Niger Delta region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Integrated_Power_Project

This is another funky soccer show GEJ want to play on us, so as to win the heart of Nigerian in 2015 and we will not agree.

No carry-us for body, We no be pukin (no play wit us joo)
Ma gbe wa mora a ki se omode, (ma fi wa sere)
kar ka doke mu a jikin ka, mu na yara bane, (kar ka yi wasa da mu)
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by awodman: 10:48am On Mar 29, 2013
@ thelastpope...I want to ask..after this NIPP projects must have been commissioned..who is going to be responsible for managing them?? Will they be privatized like others??

One other thing,after all NIPP projects have been brought on stream,what is the government's plan ƒσя improving generation capacity.I know that work is been done on Mambilla hydro power plant.Are they others like mambilla?
Thanks
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by otokx(m): 10:49am On Mar 29, 2013
glen87: I use this medium to plead to PHCN and the NIPP to kindly help us at Rumuola around college of Art and Science. We hardly see light. In a week, it can only be 2hours in total. Please we are Nigerians and also have the right to what's good like the way others enjoy. GEJ pls intervene
when i say uniport suffers some dudes here will be quoting grammer. PHCN has been very bad this year and they have not giving any explanation to us at UNIPORT. Its when students riot and destroy things then they will know its serious. Tired of all this lies and wicked propaganda.

1 Like

Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by thelastPope(m): 10:52am On Mar 29, 2013
a1solution: You know the guy may not have money to settle the PHCN guys which always request for money before anything can be done urgently.

I do not agree with you. I know that those PHCN guys can be terrible sometimes but it is wrong for you to generalise.

Nigerians have developed a bad mindset that because nothing works, they have to always bribe or patronise touts. People will rather patronise touts that go to the licensing office or passport office to do their documents. But the truth is that many of these agencies have greatly improved in their service delivery and you don't need to patronise touts or bribe to get many things done.

I make it a point of duty to know where the PHCN office is situated in my community and I always find out what the issues are. I have found out that this works everytime. When you put the pressure on these guys, they sit up. If you are indifferent, they will also be indifferent.

As we speak, I don't have power but I know exactly what the fault is. It is my civic responsibility as a citizen of Nigeria. We can't just sit in our houses and assume things and we must not leave everything to chance. One reason Nigeria has a lot of issues is because her citizens are not playing their roles. We have been brainwashed to always take all our fight to Aso Rock. That is nos the right thing to do. There are issues to be taking to Aso Rock and there are issues to be tackled at the community, LGA and state level.

Getting a transformer fixed is an issue that people have to come together in a community and tackle. If 50 of you go and beseige the PHCN office and demand response, you will be suprised what will happen. I have seen it happen before.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by ultraGM: 10:55am On Mar 29, 2013
ROSSIKE:

No he didn't. He began late in his administration the actual construction of these new plants after the attempts at rehabilitating the old plants failed to deliver the much needed increase in power output. [size=14pt][s]Maybe you're mistaking the laying of foundation stone for commissioning. And he left power in 2007 not 2009[/s][/size].

According to wikipedia in the link i post earlier,
National Integrated Power Project, (NIPP) has been commissioned since OBJ regime, and all of them should have been (expected to be) completed by 2015, while some are in partial operation
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Nigeria

No Point in Believing The proposal, except they what to complete the unfinished job
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by otokx(m): 10:57am On Mar 29, 2013
The worse part is they just brought another estimated bill as if we have 18 hours of light per day. This country has a long way to go.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by ballabriggs: 11:01am On Mar 29, 2013
Another mad propaganda from the pit of hell. Till they "light the bulb" ala Jona, then all these has no meaning. Here is a list of power projects under OBJ in addition to the upgrade at the existing power stations at the time. However, where has "the bulb light"? That is the main issue.

"In summary, when our administration came in in 1999, we met seven power stations —Kainji, Jebba, Shiroro, Egbin, Afam, Sapele and Delta — all together in different stages of disrepair and obsolescence, generating about 1500MW.

My scorecard on power

"By 2007, we have added six new stations as follows with the seventh almost completed at Alaoji:
a) Okpai in Delta - 480MW by Agip

b) Afam II - 276MW

c) Omotosho - 330MW

d) Palalanto - 330MW

e) Geregu - 414MW

f) Ikot Abasi-Ibom Power - 145MW - to which Federal Government is a partner.

g) Alaoji - 545MW

h) To these must be added about 2000MW produced by Rivers State

i) We must also take cognizance of the heavy rehabilitation works in all the existing power stations: increasing their available capacity significantly.

"There are six NIPP projects in the pipeline and the expansion of Omotosho, Papalanto, Geregu and Alaoji to about 1000MW each by combined cycle and 2500MW from Mambilla.

In other words, in eight years of our Administration, we have provided six new power generating units of almost 2000MW.

Till date we are still talking megawatt, gigawatt, kilowatt, disco, reggae bla bla bla. All these has no meaning to the welder and electrician at my water side.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by Ozonna(m): 11:05am On Mar 29, 2013
otokx: when i say uniport suffers some dudes here will be quoting grammer. PHCN has been very bad this year and they have not giving any explanation to us at UNIPORT. Its when students riot and destroy things then they will know its serious. Tired of all this lies and wicked propaganda.

Oga you want GEJ to come and fix the UNIPORT problem himself You mean to say that the whole PH is in darkness for days now Lasthope has said that your community should go to the disco incharge of your area and lay a complaint.

Meanwhile what about the SUG of Uniport? Or don't they have SUG in Uniport? What are they doing about it?
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by otokx(m): 11:09am On Mar 29, 2013
Ozonna:

Oga you want GEJ to come and fix the UNIPORT problem himself You mean to say that the whole PH is in darkness for days now Lasthope has said that your community should go to the disco incharge of your area and lay a complaint.

Meanwhile what about the SUG of Uniport? Or don't they have SUG in Uniport? What are they doing about it?
i want those who are here telling lies on behalf of FG to whisper to them that no light so that Oga at the top can call NEPA to switch on UNIPORT and perhaps switch off an area tha has been enjoying light.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by awodman: 11:18am On Mar 29, 2013
otokx: i want those who are here telling lies on behalf of FG to whisper to them that no light so that Oga at the top can call NEPA to switch on UNIPORT and perhaps switch off an area tha has been enjoying light.
I wonder if you are really a student.why can't u just use your brain for once.U Ave been educated here on how PHCN works and the appropriate place to channel your complains to.Still u keep on making a fool of yourself here.smh ƒσя our undergraduates these days
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 29, 2013
KGB2008: everyday we hear power projects are commissioned but still no light.
where do u live? Cos where i live,lite is almost constant
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by phantom(m): 11:26am On Mar 29, 2013
otokx: when i say uniport suffers some dudes here will be quoting grammer. PHCN has been very bad this year and they have not giving any explanation to us at UNIPORT. Its when students riot and destroy things then they will know its serious. Tired of all this lies and wicked propaganda.
i live at eligbolo, r/okoro and i must say power has improved tremendously in my neighborhood.its still not perfect but its a lot better.your problem in UP might be a local thing.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by phantom(m): 11:29am On Mar 29, 2013
awodman:
I wonder if you are really a student.why can't u just use your brain for once.U Ave been educated here on how PHCN works and the appropriate place to channel your complains to.Still u keep on making a fool of yourself here.smh ƒσя our undergraduates these days
dont waste your time.na youthful exuberance dey worry am.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by tlops(m): 11:35am On Mar 29, 2013
That'll be good. I hope its not the one they'll commission and abandon, while they expect it to maintain and run itself... The key challenge to our expectations on power is the lack of innovation, care-free attitude, corruption and general planlessness.
Re: FG To Commission Ten Power Plants This Year by bodmasfem(m): 11:50am On Mar 29, 2013
thelastPope:

plz, stop ur deceit, power supply is worst in Imo!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari To Announce Interim Government For Rivers State / People Seeking To Be Permanent Secretaries In Ebonyi Can’t Recite Anthem / Another Proof Igbos Hate Yorubas (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.