Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (191) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492247 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:26am On Sep 07, 2015
noblefarm:

what n what is the facilities on it and what's a asking prize, these are things that'll motivate ppl

Oga noblefarms Hw is the farm going on??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:35am On Sep 07, 2015
keemaQ:
About 3 years ago, I stocked just a thousand fishes and failed terribly, I wasn't really perturbed because this failure was a learning in disguise, I met a guy on here(nairaland) he sold me runts.. My very good friend deceived me in stocking a thousand fishes in a space I would stock just 100 fishes if I were to re start my fish business. My challenges then were literally the most challenging ones.

- Space
- water
- Good fishes

Fast forward three years, A friend's neighbor that used to come check my kekere pond then found the business both viable and interesting and is ready to invest big and wants me involved.. I'm just a bit nervous if I can manage 10,000 fishes from my 1000 fishes experience.
Bro to be honest managing 10k fishes is not easy especially for someone that is not that established in the business, it takes a whole lot to manage 10k fishes. I will Advice you seek and work/learn with a good and experienced consultant who can manage the fish till harvest then you can handle it yourself..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:37am On Sep 07, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Ntooorrrrr..... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy My own loading....coming soon to theatre close to you joooo
Na today e don tey wen we don dey hear coming soon tongue

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:42am On Sep 07, 2015
mercylicious:

Hahaha. How you take know say all my neighbours dey eye one range rovers sports for the compound? A neighbour is going back to his base to start live all over again after being deported. He is contemplating selling his range cos he feels his brother who is a contract staff cannot maintain the car. Just one tire na 45k.
We all dey wait make d guy make up his mind and name his price.

Don't worry let your neighbors buy the car.. who first buy car na hin first buy old model cheesy. Yours will be the latest range sport.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 07, 2015
robonski15:

Bro to be honest managing 10k fishes is not easy especially for someone that is not that established in the business, it takes a whole lot to manage 10k fishes. I will Advice you seek and work/learn with a good and experienced consultant who can manage the fish till harvest then you can handle it yourself..

Thanks for the advice, I already advised him starting small is the best thing but he's bent on stocking at least 5000 for a start.. I presume you are both established & experienced, can we come to your farm or call you to discuss about this matter extensively & work something out ?
Thanks in advance!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2015
robonski15:

Na today e don tey wen we don dey hear coming soon tongue

Yes now, tomorrow never finish an... tongue tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2015
All Abuja Catfish Farmers should NOTE. While hoping to maximize profit during harvest after spending so much on feeding, Logisitics & all. Dont expect the buyer to buy @ N900 per Kg just to please you. N450 per Kg for Below 1kg (800g-900g) inclusive, and N550 for above 1kg (1kg-4kg) inclusive, i believe is a Fair price. Put the blame on yourself for trusting the wrong person who suppling you fingerlings/Juveniles/Jumbo, Also blame yourself for not feeding them as needed. Tnx

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chuksogb(m): 1:45pm On Sep 07, 2015
This thread is dedicated to fish farmers with limited water supply.when i say limited i mean : 1 those without boreholes 2 those without wells and 3 those with no near by river. lets discuss the way forward because their are machines which i think can aid such ppl achieve a good result after harvest .lets rub minds together.
firstly,The most common method used by ppl with littele water supply is the recirculatory system but due to its cost of installation and maintainance many average nigerian fish farmers can not afford it. so therefore i ruled it off. secondly is the use of a locally built aerator in a pond which is my main purpose of this thread. in my case of study is discovered that in a situation whereby a farmer has to buy water for his pond and also due to the need for a farmer to practice a good water management in his pond i came to a conclusion thus: USING A CONCRETE POND AS CASE STUDY Since it is expected of a farmer to change the water in d pond atleast every 2 to 3 days to keep d pond fresh to maintian the level of the DO, you can to extend 10 days with my simple method......
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chuksogb(m): 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2015
The setup is to build a low cost electric or solar powered aerator materials needed includes: 1 a centrifugal electric water pump( or more depending on d size of your pond) 2 two diff sizes of pvc pipe ( one and1/2" and 1"wink 3 plumbing fittings (determined by the setting of ur pond) 4 A qualified plumber. with the above materials you can build a local aeration system in a pond of 20 * 10*3 feet. after the setup the pond was aerated wit sufficient Dissolved Oxygen for the fish and they fishes were happy. note: To achieve this you must practice on a spot feeding to reduce pollution for the 10 days period before water is changed. If you are hoping to be a fish farmer but with no readily available water source OR you are a farmer with wishing to improve your pond aeration this is your answer to that.Omega plumbing services can make this happen with little cost .we also specialize in concrete pond construction.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chuksogb(m): 1:52pm On Sep 07, 2015
To our admins in the house i m not here to advertize but to help people get optimum result from their investment. you can check my profile for contact.thank you.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by naypam: 3:38pm On Sep 07, 2015
@robonski15 pls i sent you a mail from kosin.tega@gmail.com about some needed information.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by naypam: 4:19pm On Sep 07, 2015
robonski15:

My chairman.. E mail: robonski15@gmail.com BBM 75128EC6 whatsapp 08061682047
@robonski15 please i have been trying your number...please i sent you a mail concerning this topic. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:29pm On Sep 07, 2015
naypam:
@robonski15Didn't se i have been trying your number...please i sent you a mail concerning this topic. thanks

Didnt get your mail, resend it to robonski15@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 6:08pm On Sep 07, 2015
@robonski15, nice work.

Please what's your take on the use of plastic ponds?
The 1500 gallons type.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2015
bababuff:
@robonski15, nice work.

Please what's your take on the use of plastic ponds?
The 1500 gallons type.

Hello sir, the plastic pond is also good, I used it some time ago and had no issues. Are u planning on getting one.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yankison(m): 11:53pm On Sep 07, 2015
robonski15:

You mailed me theses questions.. I have answered them.. Thanks

please why dont u reply her here so many people can ;earn from this . including myself
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:19am On Sep 08, 2015
My pple in the house, please what is your take on local feed, i observed that my fish dont rush locally pelleted feed the way they rush vital feed, aqual feed and foreign feeds. What could be responsible for this? Changing from Coppens, Multi, Aqua and Vital feed does not adversely affect their appetite and rush for food but the rush for food decreases the moment one change to local pelleted feed.

For those using these locally pelleted feeds, how can one enhance fish feeding habit using these feeds?

To Mr Ab1x, is your formula FLOATING FEED or SINKING?

On the other hand, who has experience in HATCHING using earthing pond? What are the pros and the cons of using this method?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sejeje: 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2015
please house kindly link me up to where I can get good broodstocks of a year or more in Ibadan.Thanks in advance.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yankison(m): 3:21pm On Sep 08, 2015
robonski15:

Didnt get your mail, resend it to robonski15@gmail.com

Hello i added you to whats app and bbm last night hut i dd not accpt or reply any of my whats app message , please am looking forward to that
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 5:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
robonski15:

Hello sir, the plastic pond is also good, I used it some time ago and had no issues. Are u planning on getting one.

I have invested in about 3 ponds already. Just for trials, but i am not happy about the development of the fish in them.
They are about 3 months now but they are not big at all.

The picture below is just to show the size of the ponds (dirty water was been drained).
I have about 200 fish in each pond.

I started from juveniles and has been feeding them with coppens feed.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:54pm On Sep 08, 2015
Boskaii:

Thank you for asking, they look better but saw one today with white patch by the side of the head and recorded one mortality also. I change my water after 48 hrs since i stocked I don't know what the problem could be.

Good to know sir, they are fine now.. keep it up sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:56pm On Sep 08, 2015
chuksogb:
off i zoom.my pond construction begins next month no more fear.
We are solidly behind you boss..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:57pm On Sep 08, 2015
mitchel:
. Thanks Robonski. You have been so helpful and you inspire other fish farmers.

Hello how was the sales?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pinnocho: 9:02am On Sep 09, 2015
Pls house, I need where i can get viable juveniles to buy in Portharcourt. Can anyone help?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 10:21am On Sep 09, 2015
@Robonski,
My fishes at 3 months. These sizes are too small.
Please, what am i doing wrong? Or are these offsprings of "runts"?

I plan to invest more this business for my retirement in future and i want to get it right before spending more money.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by korel9: 10:44am On Sep 09, 2015
bababuff:
@Robonski,

I plan to invest more this business for my retirement in future and i want to get it right before spending more money.

I dnt know if I'm qualified to respond to your question owing to d fact that we have professors in da house. But based on my little experience so far
1. There's a possibility that you were sold runts which may lead to slow or no growth.
2. What's their feeding culture like?
3. How often do you change their water?
4. Do they eat well?
5. How many do you have stocked in there?
6. That water level seems low to me judging from this angle.

Thess are my observations and questions u might need to respond to.
I don't know if our professors in the house can add to these and even correct where I'm wrong.
Cc robonski15, abix et al

I remain humble

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
bababuff:
@Robonski,

1. There's a possibility that you were sold runts which may lead to slow or no growth.
4. Do they eat well?

These are my observations and questions u might need to respond to.

Korel9 has said it all sir...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
korel9:

I dnt know if I'm qualified to respond to your question owing to d fact that we have professors in da house. But based on my little experience so far
4. Do they eat well?

I don't know if our professors in the house can add to these and even correct where I'm wrong.

I remain humble

chairman no one is an expert we are all trying to improve, everybody is entitled to give suggestions/advice. Your response was so on point.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 8:58pm On Sep 09, 2015
bababuff:
@Robonski,

the water level is low, try to weigh them, let's know their average weight and lastly what is their total number and how much have u spent on feeds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
korel9:

4. Do they eat well?

I remain humble

2. We feed them 3 times a day.
3. We change their water everyday for all the ponds in the morning.
4. We feed them a bag of Coppens 6mm for about 3 weeks (to me that's not feeding well for about 500 fishes)
5. Pond-1 holds 250, Pond-2, 150, Pond-3 150 fishes.
6. Water level is usually higher than in the picture

I have been told to give them fish tonic, but i don't know which brand to buy.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
miqos02:
the water level is low, try to weigh them, let's know their average weight and lastly what is their total number and how much have u spent on feeds

The water level is usually higher than that. I turned of the water to take the picture.

On the average, about N30k. They consumed more when we were feeding them 3mm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 2:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
bababuff:

The water level is usually higher than that. I turned of the water to take the picture.

On the average, about N30k. They consumed more when we were feeding them 3mm.

u have spent average of 55naira on each fish, I guess the problem is that they are not eating enough, u need to get fish multivitamins

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.