Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,680 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1495484 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Apitch(m): 2:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
bababuff:

The water level is usually higher than that. I turned of the water to take the picture.

On the average, about N30k. They consumed more when we were feeding them 3mm.

I think the 6mm u are feeding them now is part of the reason they aint eating well- too big

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:25pm On Sep 10, 2015
bababuff:

2. We feed them 3 times a day.
3. We change their water everyday for all the ponds in the morning.
4. We feed them a bag of Coppens 6mm for about 3 weeks (to me that's not feeding well for about 500 fishes)
5. Pond-1 holds 250, Pond-2, 150, Pond-3 150 fishes.
6. Water level is usually higher than in the picture

I have been told to give them fish tonic, but i don't know which brand to buy.

I will strongly advice you switch back to 3mm to help boost their growth back.. 6mm is too big for them to pick. also give them multivitamin. where did you get the juveniles from?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dkings101(m): 8:08am On Sep 11, 2015
robonski15:

What's the latest development, hope no more mortality.

Thanks my Oga..no more mortality. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:58am On Sep 11, 2015
Ttalk:
My pple in the house, please what is your take on local feed, i observed that my fish dont rush locally pelleted feed the way they rush vital feed, aqual feed and foreign feeds. What could be responsible for this? Changing from Coppens, Multi, Aqua and Vital feed does not adversely affect their appetite and rush for food but the rush for food decreases the moment one change to local pelleted feed.

For those using these locally pelleted feeds, how can one enhance fish feeding habit using these feeds?

To Mr Ab1x, is your formula FLOATING FEED or SINKING?

On the other hand, who has experience in HATCHING using earthing pond? What are the pros and the cons of using this method?

cc Oga Robonski, Belexy, Ab1x, Ayosat, Phemmy and other gurus in the house
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 11:37am On Sep 11, 2015
Ttalk:

cc Oga Robonski, Belexy, Ab1x, Ayosat, Phemmy and other gurus in the house

Lemme give you my novice response.... the day you will introduce the new local feed, starve them the previous night and if they still don't rush it.... talk to robonski and the rest because I am a novice.
On the earthen pond issues, I have been burnt using it and thereby always stay clear to I see someone I will work with nd ready to share the loss if any just like we will share the gain....
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dorammy(f): 12:04pm On Sep 11, 2015
robonski15:

Malange is catfish.. "malange" is just the name of the size of catfish.. Just like we have fingerlings, juvenile, post juvenile, melange, table size..

Oh! Really? Cos I was wondering too. Tot its a name of a different fish. Am learning. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lorjes: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Lemme give you my novice response.... the day you will introduce the new local feed, starve them the previous night and if they still don't rush it.... talk to robonski and the rest because I am a novice.
On the earthen pond issues, I have been burnt using it and thereby always stay clear to I see someone I will work with nd ready to share the loss if any just like we will share the gain....
Good luck

Sorry sir how were you burnt by earthen pond, please let us know even it's in brief
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lorjes:

Sorry sir how were you burnt by earthen pond, please let us know even it's in brief
[b]
I mean I lost money but I am yet to pin it down to a particular reason, however, here are some of the reasons that come to mind:
1. Mismanagement: Partner rented bigger house and did wedding after my loss with salary that is not enough to take him back home from work and told me he had no saving few months before I pull the plug on the business.

1a. Partner have supervision of business to someone else and he was hardly there.

2. Overcrowded stocking.... from what I know now, the pond where 5000 was stocked was meant for just 200 fishes

3. Improper feeding... the fish will surely feed on each other since they are crowded and probably my money was being used for other things and not feeding them well

4. I was greedy because I know nothing about the business and proposal was made to me and I jumped in stocking 20,000 fishes.

The list goes on but like i said won't do it again till I find the right person and I have seem that it is a business one must know about it and not just put money and look away and noticed too, it is better to grow with the business and not be greedy.

I prefer concrete for now or the tarpaulin because they are easier.to manage... when u change water u could see the fish head that has been consumed and with clean water u could see the activties in and under the water.....

I am not saying earthen is not good Oh, I am only saying for now, it is not for.me...

And remember, I am just a NOVICE.
[/b]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lorjes: 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2015
Fhemmmy:

[b]
I mean I lost money but I am yet to pin it down to a particular reason, however, here are some of the reasons that come to mind:
1. Mismanagement: Partner rented bigger house and did wedding after my loss with salary that is not enough to take him back home from work and told me he had no saving few months before I pull the plug on the business.

1a. Partner have supervision of business to someone else and he was hardly there.

2. Overcrowded stocking.... from what I know now, the pond where 5000 was stocked was meant for just 200 fishes

3. Improper feeding... the fish will surely feed on each other since they are crowded and probably my money was being used for other things and not feeding them well

4. I was greedy because I know nothing about the business and proposal was made to me and I jumped in stocking 20,000 fishes.

The list goes on but like i said won't do it again till I find the right person and I have seem that it is a business one must know about it and not just put money and look away and noticed too, it is better to grow with the business and not be greedy.

I prefer concrete for now or the tarpaulin because they are easier.to manage... when u change water u could see the fish head that has been consumed and with clean water u could see the activties in and under the water.....

I am not saying earthen is not good Oh, I am only saying for now, it is not for.me...

And remember, I am just a NOVICE.
[/b]

Ok, you have said well but in all you don't have any problem because there are many Ogas in the house who are willing to help, even some are using earthen pond. They have answer to every fish farming question.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lorjes:

Ok, you have said well but in all you don't have any problem because there are many Ogas in the house who are willing to help, even some are using earthen pond. They have answer to every fish farming question.

Very true, Sir . . . As soon as i get off my butt and get soomething going, i am sure Robonski is counting days for me . . . . Thanks for your words of encouragement, Sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 2:22pm On Sep 11, 2015
we plenty wey dey count days for you oo oga Femi
Fhemmmy:

Very true, Sir . . . As soon as i get off my butt and get soomething going, i am sure Robonski is counting days for me . . . . Thanks for your words of encouragement, Sir.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 2:30pm On Sep 11, 2015
jaz:
we plenty wey dey count days for you oo oga Femi

Yeeeeee . . . See my life, God come and help your son oh . . . . DOnt worry, soon i will surprise you all joooo . . . . . tongue tongue tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by joyewoles2014: 2:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
Seminar! Seminar! Seminar!

This is a call to invite all how want to know the secret of how to become millionaire in fish farming business.

It is an empowerment program for all.

Location : 6 Alfred Olajide Close, Alfa Bus-Stop, Sangotedo Ajah, Lagos, Nigeria.

Date : 18th of September, 2015.

Fee : just 1000 naira only.

You will not regret coming.
For more information www.moneylinks4u.com/contact or call 07066406425
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dorammy(f): 3:00pm On Sep 11, 2015
Help! Its my fist time, although I dnt ve any training yet I wish to do so as soon as I find a place to train. I started with 300 fingerlings, in a plastic tank, bt lately I am recording lots of mortality. Jst came back nw and saw five floating! Dead! They r 3 weeks n 3 days old. I was feeding dem chi feed, then I switched to coppens 2 days ago 0.8mm is it too big? Or too small? And wat else should I add to d water? Did my firrst sort this week. Pls help me.
D attached pix was taken d day I brought dem,

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
Dorammy:
Help! Its my fist time, although I dnt ve any training yet I wish to do so as soon as I find a place to train. I started with 300 fingerlings, in a plastic tank, bt lately I am recording lots of mortality. Jst came back nw and saw five floating! Dead! They r 3 weeks n 3 days old. I was feeding dem chi feed, then I switched to coppens 2 days ago 0.8mm is it too big? Or too small? And wat else should I add to d water? Did my firrst sort this week. Pls help me.

Hmmmmm, What is the size of the plastic tank and how many do you have??
Bring them all out of the tank and wash the tank thoroughly with detergent and rinse well water. Go get aquapro, aquaceryl, FLOXINOR or OXYVETO anyone you can lay your hands on and add to the water, they should be fine.

The fishes look like post fries to me and not fingerlings give them 2mm for now, then later switch to 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Good luck

i was just reading your response very slowly with smiles all over my face grin grin grin Upon all your novice rant people still see you as the guru tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2015
dkings101:

Thanks my Oga..no more mortality. Thanks.
wow good to hear... All thanks to God!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On Sep 11, 2015
robonski15:

i was just reading your response very slowly with smiles all over my face grin grin grin Upon all your novice rant people still see you as the guru tongue

God is watching you all in Theatre screen now . . . . I know i am a novice but one day, i will be guru"d"
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jamp: 5:20pm On Sep 11, 2015
oga Robonski,

please do you have any contact for fish buyer in Abuja. my friend has fish to sell.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 5:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
bababuff:

2. We feed them 3 times a day.
3. We change their water everyday for all the ponds in the morning.
4. We feed them a bag of Coppens 6mm for about 3 weeks (to me that's not feeding well for about 500 fishes)
5. Pond-1 holds 250, Pond-2, 150, Pond-3 150 fishes.
6. Water level is usually higher than in the picture

I have been told to give them fish tonic, but i don't know which brand to buy.

(1)Changing water everyday is stressful for the fishes bcoz it takes sometime before they will adjust to the new water and eat maximally; remember they have to adjust to the sudden change in water level, temperature, pH, and other things.

(2) 250 fishes in 1500ltrs tank is way over stocked. Ur fishes have reached the maximum carrying capacity of ur tank and will no more grow as expected.

(3) bcoz they av reached the maximum carrying capacity of the tank, the water quickly becomes uninhabitable for them especially once they have fed and start excreting wastes and this will lead to slow digestion and utilisation of the feed eaten.

(4) since u change ur water daily, ur fishes will vomit the feed fed the previous night bcoz it will not be digested on time before u change the water again. This happens if u feed late and then change the water very early in the morning.

It will be my opinion not to spend further money on them if u feel they are not growing as expected because the seeds could also be bad from the start; though i dnt knw the size and weight of ur fish but since u urself have expressed displeasure in their size then they are probably very small. It might be best to just sell them off very soon and restock again, but try to get you seeds from a reputable source because it helps a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:11pm On Sep 11, 2015
jamp:
oga Robonski,

please do you have any contact for fish buyer in Abuja. my friend has fish to sell.

Yes contact juve farms
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Totsy88: 1:08am On Sep 12, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
saheed,my advise is stop feed formulation for now ,because feeds that is not perfectly dried mostly contain aflatoxin which kill fishes,tarpaulin normally stores fungi & bacteria & normally have slime,it is best to clean with foam & iodine,but u hav to remove d fishes.concerning d use of tetracyline 3-4 capsules is enough to mix with water of about a feet high,this measure is mostly for extreme case of disease & when they cease to eat,afta 1Hr top up

You say make sure the fish is dry so bacteria doesn't make them sick. Is this just the case at the beginning?
So do I start with a dry feed first then is it ok to move on to a local wet feed?

Thank you in advance for any advice
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 1:31am On Sep 12, 2015
Dorammy:
this fishes looks like fry to me

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:55am On Sep 12, 2015
miqos02:
this fishes looks like fry to me
My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 3:10pm On Sep 12, 2015
robonski15:

I will strongly advice you switch back to 3mm to help boost their growth back.. 6mm is too big for them to pick. also give them multivitamin. where did you get the juveniles from?

Are you saying 6mm is too big for them at 3months?
But they do eat the 6mm.

I do give them vitamins every 2 weeks.

The juveniles were sourced from a fish farmer close to my place in Gbagada.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tobbyte(m): 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2015
bababuff which side are u in gbagada.....pls drop ur contact number sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bababuff(m): 4:53pm On Sep 12, 2015
tobbyte:
bababuff which side are u in gbagada.....pls drop ur contact number sir

Sholuyi. You can email ishoade@gmail.com or drop your own number.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
bababuff:

Are you saying 6mm is too big for them at 3months?
But they do eat the 6mm.

I do give them vitamins every 2 weeks.

The juveniles were sourced from a fish farmer close to my place in Gbagada.

6mm is too big for them, with the size I saw in the pix 3mm or 4.5 mm is ideal.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:08am On Sep 13, 2015
Been follow you guys trend here, just got administer into the platform, hav gain a lot 4rm ur posts already... am new @ catfish n I guess am doing fine already!@robonski15 I salute are...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 11:41am On Sep 13, 2015
6mm is big for a 3month fish my bro...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
please guys, pardon the foolishness of my question oo. but based on experience, what is the average size of catfish at 3 months after hatching and at 6 months after hatching
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sosolid007: 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2015
Hello All,

Before I start let me say a BIG THANK YOU TO Robonski and Ab1x for all the information you have provided. I actually started my farm last year having read your forum

I am a follower and I have tried everything you have said and I can say it all worked, I harvested last week.

Few mortality basically 2 to maturity once i sorted to the earth pond. I have 3 earth ponds for now but increasing it to 9 by end of the month.

My source of water is stream water ,each ponds has its own inflow and outflow

Some questions to ensure that I am still on the right track.

I buy fingerlings once they are 3 weeks old rear them for 2 months on coppen and transfer them to my earth pond which is 25 x 40 and accommodates 800 fishes. Can the size accommodate more than 800?. Am I over stocking or under stocking? Please give me the capacity for 25x40. i want to stock 1000 in each pond and want to know the size to use.

Also, AB1X I read your formula and want to start using your formula in my next production phase but want to know if it is something one can buy from you in bulk. let me know. I harvested after 6 months and they are averaging 1.3kg but some say that is not good. I think i might have under feed them or my people sometimes are not putting the right quantity to make the feeds Please see pictures of my harvest. Hence, the reason I want to use your formula for my next production if you produce in bulk.

Also, which is best Ziggler or coppens . I use coppen already. What is your personal experience with ziggler.

Also, for fingerlings for the 1 month and half what size of coppens did you give them?

Since, I am increasing to 9 ponds i am doing bore hole. Which size of tank should i get for 9 earth ponds. Though they will have natural stream water. I want to do it as a back up for dry season. should i also buy a filter for the borehole water, is it necessary?

Finally, how much will it cost to build a standard/professional hatching facility.

Thanks and look forward to your response

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.