Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,282 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497985 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:49pm On Sep 16, 2015
Totsy88:

You say make sure the fish is dry so bacteria doesn't make them sick. Is this just the case at the beginning?
So do I start with a dry feed first then is it ok to move on to a local wet feed?

Thank you in advance for any advice
i wrote make sure d feed is dried to prevent aflaxtoxin. what that means is any feed that isn't well dried,stored to feed later has v high tendency to have being affected by aflaxtoxin.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MissOpe(f): 10:43am On Sep 17, 2015
@ oga ab1x, please what's the present prices of big,medium, small and melange fishes ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 2:08pm On Sep 17, 2015
ab1x:

It is quite economical. There will be reduction in the price of the feeds as the fish continue to grow. The logic is that when the fish is small they tend to consume quality feeds which is quite costly but as times goes by there will be reduction in the cost of feeds. By the time they reach 3 and half month to four month, the cost per kg should not be more than 250 naira per kg
My honourable boss himself, Ab1x, pls I've got some questions bothering me:
I think within 3 and half month to 4 months, one should ve started feed with finisher if growing out for 6months. Pls, wat should be d ideal average weight at that month range before one can start the finisher? If at 3months 2weeks, d average weight is 500g, how realistic is it to meet d desirable size if one start giving them the finisher that contains broiler starter? Besides, which brand of broiler starter do u use or do you formulate it?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:03pm On Sep 17, 2015
MissOpe:
@ oga ab1x, please what's the present prices of big,medium, small and melange fishes ?

Big/Medium 560
Small 460
Smallest 430/420
Melange/Tiny 380
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
nice info. but which one has most demand ?
ab1x:

Big/Medium 560
Small 460
Smallest 430/420
Melange/Tiny 380
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teepompey:

My honourable boss himself, Ab1x, pls I've got some questions bothering me:
I think within 3 and half month to 4 months, one should ve started feed with finisher if growing out for 6months. Pls, wat should be d ideal average weight at that month range before one can start the finisher? If at 3months 2weeks, d average weight is 500g, how realistic is it to meet d desirable size if one start giving them the finisher that contains broiler starter? Besides, which brand of broiler starter do u use or do you formulate it?

Broiler starter can represent maize in your feed formulation however excess of everything is bad. Of a truth, feed formulation is bigger than me. This is because it varies from one farm to another. You never can tell, anyone can come here to say this is what he or she uses in his or her farm, all previous formula is just for you to understand how it looks like. I do not have a specific formula but I can give you what you can use if you need it at a specific time. I have some people that uses 20% FM for 7 months, while some uses 25% FM for 7months while others use 30% fish meal (FM) for 7 months. It all depends on money, time and result factors. To get a quick result within a shortest time, then you can use 50%, 45% or 40% FM when your stock are still very small.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
jaz:
nice info. but which one has most demand ?

They demand for all. Some customers may want a fish that 7/8 pieces of fish must give them 25KG
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:00pm On Sep 17, 2015
jaz:
oga mi, seems some numbers are lost in your quote oo. could you please fill in the gaps ?

For earthen pond: width x breath x depth /3 multiply by 2

concrete pond: width x breath x depth /3 multiply by 5

Example. 10 feet by 10 feet with a depth of 4 feet how many fish can we stock in a concrete pond
10 x 10 x 4= 400... 400/3= 133.33..... 133.33 x 5 = 666 fishes

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 8:19pm On Sep 17, 2015
@ boss ab1x, thanks for being there at all times. In response to wat u declared, I used 40% from d start and just reduced it to 30 when they turned 3months and I added a little blood meal to their feed. Now, they would be 4months next week, but lots of them re still within 500g- 650g, of which I'm envisaging 6months. Wat can I do within this short period to make them attain desirable size if at all they can still attain a reasonable size? If there's any possibility of achieving a better result, I would appreciate if could give me the formula
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 8:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
thanks boss.
robonski15:

For earthen pond: width x breath x depth /3 multiply by 2

concrete pond: width x breath x depth /3 multiply by 5

Example. 10 feet by 10 feet with a depth of 4 feet how many fish can we stock in a concrete pond
10 x 10 x 4= 400... 400/3= 133.33..... 133.33 x 5 = 666 fishes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
Teepompey:
@ boss ab1x, thanks for being there at all times. In response to wat u declared, I used 40% from d start and just reduced it to 30 when they turned 3months and I added a little blood meal to their feed. Now, they would be 4months next week, but lots of them re still within 500g- 650g, of which I'm envisaging 6months. Wat can I do within this short period to make them attain desirable size if at all they can still attain a reasonable size? If there's any possibility of achieving a better result, I would appreciate if could give me the formula

Fish tend to have rapid growth between 3 to 6months. You are very much on track. You can keep using 30% fish meal
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 8:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
30 by 60 by 9ft deep

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MissOpe(f): 9:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
ab1x:

Big/Medium 560 Small 460 Smallest 430/420 Melange/Tiny 380
Thanks brother....
Highly grateful for the info....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 1:30am On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

Fish tend to have rapid growth between 3 to 6months. You are very much on track. You can keep using 30% fish meal
Thanks for the encouragement, boss. I feel motivated. Pls, dont hesitate to keep us informed as you always do. God will in His infinite mercies continually bless ur endowments. What do you think about using groundnut seed in replace of GNC and btw Soya seed and toasted Soya, which is better?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Simcha: 3:33am On Sep 18, 2015
House please help me asap!! Animal science, the course I aspire to study wasn't given to me. But Instead "forestry wildlife and fisheries". Does anybody know if the course has a good job prospects in the labour market? Can I be an agro-entrepreneur with the course? Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 7:24am On Sep 18, 2015
Teepompey:

Thanks for the encouragement, boss. I feel motivated. Pls, dont hesitate to keep us informed as you always do. God will in His infinite mercies continually bless ur endowments. What do you think about using groundnut seed in replace of GNC and btw Soya seed and toasted Soya, which is better?

I have never used groundnut seed before so I can't say anything about it however toasted soya is effective. I have seen some farm that use gnc without soya likewise some farm use soya without gnc. The most important ingredient is fish meal and it is constant and every order thing follows
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

I have never used groundnut seed before so I can't say anything about it however toasted soya is effective. I have seen some farm that use gnc without soya likewise some farm use soya without gnc. The most important ingredient is fish meal and it is constant and every order thing follows
Thanks a great deal, boss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 10:52am On Sep 18, 2015
@Simcha
In response to your questions, I would love to contribute to the best of my knowledge. I dont know the institution in which you are being offered this admission but I'll like to say that a good grade from a reputable institution would take you far in the labour market. Any degree course in an institution is marketable provided it is accredited. Also, becoming an enterpreneur does not necessarily mean you have to bag a degree in such field. You can attend seminars, you can attend trainings, etc. If you are so keen on animal science, you can take a masters in it after your first degree in this particular course you are given.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ceysaga: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2015
Pls house, help me with this. I am about to start rearing juveniles in a plastic pond I took my water again to the lab and the pH was 6.2 with high iron content. The water is a bit coloured like diluted fanta. Please will it be ok for my fish and if not what do I do?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 2:54pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

All things cannot be equal. All other things being equal, there is no fixed KG to attain within those month. However, if the seed is alright and you are able to manage your farm very well, then be expecting an AVERGAGE of 2.0 to 2.5KG in 6months. 6months is a very long period of time so getting 1KG plus is not only a waste of money but also a waste of time. 1KG fish is not a fish at all, it is called smallest here...small start from 1.2 to 1.3 KG....thus, 20/21/22 pieces of fish must weigh 25KG

Sir, with average weight of 2kg - 2.5kg of all the fishes stocked within the 6months rearing time frame , I presume this is when you stock from juvenile stage and u practice 24hrs flow through in your earthen pond. Correct me if i am mistaken.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Sir, with average weight of 2kg - 2.5kg of all the fishes stocked within the 6months rearing time frame , I presume this is when you stock from juvenile stage and u practice 24hrs flow through in your earthen pond. Correct me if i am mistaken.

I normally stock fingerlings using flow through method
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

And what is your mortality rate for earthen pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:02pm On Sep 18, 2015
Fhemmmy:

And what is your mortality rate for earthen pond?

It is not fixed. There is no way one can determine the exact figure. Fish feed on themselves (cannibalism), mostly when they are small. A fish that die at night can sink before 8am in the morning. A lot of farms do not have time to start counting even if they do, they can't get the exact figure; that is why an additional 50 pieces or 100 pieces are put on every 1000 pieces so that it can cover for the ones that died during the rearing period. Farmers usually try to make sure mortality rate are reduced to minimal level.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

It is not fixed. There is no way one can determine the exact figure. Fish feed on themselves (cannibalism), mostly when they are small. A fish that die at night can sink before 8am in the morning. A lot of farms do not have time to start counting even if they do, they can't get the exact figure; that is why an additional 50 pieces or 100 pieces are put on every 1000 pieces so that it can cover for the ones that died during the rearing period. Farmers usually try to make sure mortality rate are reduced to minimal level.

I know that but would you say that the 100 extra on 1000 will be enough to account for cannibalism ? I am asking this because i have seen too many people got burnt using the earthen ponds compared to Concrete or all other ponds and i will like to know if there is something that is not right that they are doing (I was one of those burnt too in the past) and just the mention of earthen ponds alone gives me shiver and i wanna run.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I know that but would you say that the 100 extra on 1000 will be enough to account for cannibalism ? I am asking this because i have seen too many people got burnt using the earthen ponds compared to Concrete or all other ponds and i will like to know if there is something that is not right that they are doing (I was one of those burnt too in the past) and just the mention of earthen ponds alone gives me shiver and i wanna run.

The fact is most hatchers are not trustworthy. A lot of them do not count the fingerlings well, even if they do, they include runt in your stock. It is quite enough to cover the cannibalism and mortality. If there are no casualties and if you manage your farm very well and you notice on time that your fish hang on the water, the best is to treat them before the situation gets out of hand. I have listed several methods that I used to treat them even the most recent ones, the use of formalin. Less than 100 pieces died out of 11,000 pieces that I stock (cannibalism/Mortality). It is even so because I make use of the stream water and a times I am too preoccupied with other side jobs which do not allow me to treat them on time. One thing I will like you to know is that, you should be less worried about the cannibalism and mortality rate, the rule in catfish farming is garbage in garbage out. I have gone past the stage that I worried about the amount of fish that I stocked. I am more concerned about my return on investment.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:34pm On Sep 18, 2015
Please list all the problems you faced while you made use of earthen pond. I will provide the solution to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

The fact is most hatchers are not trustworthy. A lot of them do not count the fingerlings well, even if they do, they include runt in your stock. It is quite enough to cover the cannibalism and mortality. If there are no casualties and if you manage your farm very well and you notice on time that your fish hang on the water, the best is to treat them before the situation gets out of hand. I have listed several methods that I used to treat them even the most recent ones, the use of formalin. Less than 100 pieces died out of 11,000 pieces that I stock (cannibalism/Mortality). It is even so because I make use of the stream water and a times I am too preoccupied with other side jobs which do not allow me to treat them on time. One thing I will like you to know is that, you should be less worried about the cannibalism and mortality rate, the rule in catfish farming is garbage in garbage out. I have gone past the stage that I worried about the amount of fish that I stocked. I am more concerned about my return on investment.

Thanks a lot for this awesome points . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:

Thats nice. The fingerlings we buy in lagos are now so tiny in size... The hatchers seem to be selling them at smaller sizes now than what i was used to. I envy you guys with your regular flow through, nothing is as good as having that flow through. I have achieved something like that in some of the ponds where i do partial flow through, but thats after I have selected the best stock of the fishes to rear in that particular pond. Running flow through is damn expensive for me because I use mostly generator to pump water. Do u also practice stocking more than you intend to rear and then keeping only the fast growers till harvest? For example stocking 10K fingerlings and then selecting the best fast growing 5K - 6K which u will rear for 5 - 6months (the remaining 4K slow growing fishes would have been sold off at melange stage).
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2015
ab1x:
Please list all the problems you faced while you made use of earthen pond. I will provide the solution to the best of my knowledge.

What part of Ogun state are you ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:16pm On Sep 18, 2015
Fhemmmy:

What part of Ogun state are you ?

Ijebu Ode
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Thats nice. The fingerlings we buy in lagos are now so tiny in size... The hatchers seem to be selling them at smaller sizes now than what i was used to. I envy you guys with your regular flow through, nothing is as good as having that flow through. I have achieved something like that in some of the ponds where i do partial flow through, but thats after I have selected the best stock of the fishes to rear in that particular pond. Running flow through is damn expensive for me because I use mostly generator to pump water. Do u also practice stocking more than you intend to rear and then keeping only the fast growers till harvest? For example stocking 10K fingerlings and then selecting the best fast growing 5K - 6K which u will rear for 5 - 6months (the remaining 4K slow growing fishes would have been sold off at melange stage).

That's what every farm does. You will sort out the best, rear the ones that did not grow well, sell them off and use the money to feed the ones that grows well.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:20pm On Sep 18, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

The fact is out of that 11,000 pieces...the good ones may not be more than 3000 pieces. It is enough to bring back the return on your investment. Others will be reared for 4 1/2 to 5months after which I will sell them off.

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.