Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493589 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mekd: 11:34am On May 25, 2018
Mature table size catfish for sale. Location is portharcourt...call 08036829452
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cassie74: 1:32pm On May 25, 2018
duullie88:

Is Aquamax better than blue crown??

Nobody knows?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 10:59am On May 26, 2018
planetfood:

What is it use for
@planetfood, brine shrimp eggs are used to feed larval fishes... Basically it's food
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 11:02am On May 26, 2018
duullie88:

Is Aquamax better than blue crown??

Only those who have used both under the same conditions will be able to tell the facts. Labels are not always reliable
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ttooppee: 3:54pm On May 26, 2018
planetfood:

What is it use for
when the eggs have hatched, the baby brine shrimps can be fed live to catfish fries.
there is nothing like over feeding ,uneaten shrimps will keep moving until the fries eats them.

They are high in protein, ranging from 55% to 60% protein, supporting rapid weight gain in fries

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ttooppee: 3:55pm On May 26, 2018
fisher777:

@planetfood, brine shrimp eggs are used to feed larval fishes... Basically it's food
Yeah
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 10:47pm On May 26, 2018
abdoh:
Kudos to the gurus in the house, pls help me out, my fishes are 17 weeks old, i stocked at fingerling. My question is it normal to still av many of avg weight 300g and 400g. What is the ideal weight at 4 months

Actually there are a lot of factors to consider before giving you a straight answer. Like fisher777 said, if you practice good mgt i.e good seed, good feed, good water mgt etc then it's not proper to have average weight of 300g - 400g at 4month. If I guess right, your expenses on them so far is one of the factors of the growth/weight.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdoh: 6:24am On May 27, 2018
saheed3:

Actually there are a lot of factors to consider before giving you a straight answer. Like fisher777 said, if you practice good mgt i.e good seed, good feed, good water mgt etc then it's not proper to have average weight of 300g - 400g at 4month. If I guess right, your expenses on them so far is one of the factors of the growth/weight.

Expenses how? I don't get u, i really thank u all for ur respond, i av given them more space n also work on their feed as they av said. My concern is that will they still grow after all this adjustment ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 1:58pm On May 27, 2018
abdoh:

Expenses how? I don't get u, i really thank u all for ur respond, i av given them more space n also work on their feed as they av said. My concern is that will they still grow after all this adjustment ?

May I suggest you sell them off as melange....and start a new batch. You might have incurred heavy losses already but that's part of the business usually for inexperienced starters....my opinion.

I have come across such scenario with a friend whom someone supplied fingerlings of low performance only to abandon them without guidance. I came across when my friend was about loosing interest and after hearing the story I chipped in a few cents of ideas and personally got the next batch of fingerlings... X4 number of the initial batch...it went well and continued so till I left that area and subsequently feed prices soared throwing many farmers off the ship, my friend too.

Conclusively, start another batch. Remember to source your seed from a good producer. Start them off with a good feed...good starter feed goes a long way. Among imported feeds, it seems Coppens and others has gone on transmission so Skretting appears to be the best(affordability vs quality) in the market for that starter category....(I am not Skretting ambassador o). Follow the tips other farmers here have suggested... Take this from me, whoever will supply your seed, be it the farmer producing the fingerlings or a middleman MUST be readily available to mentor you to success at least with the fish he or she supplied, otherwise he is not interested in your success as a farmer....again my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by youngzoologist: 3:48pm On May 27, 2018
Interested in making steady income from catfish farming and other viable businesses but you've got no idea, skill, time, space, etc....the good news is here...be a part of the fast growing agro cooperative.....
Visit...www.agrowealthcoop.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sshy: 4:51pm On May 27, 2018
CRAZY PRICE SLASH!!! 3 compartment smoking oven, 11month old used NOW 300k ONLY!! Serious buyers only . 08188588576 (WhatsApp)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sshy: 4:53pm On May 27, 2018
CRAZY PRICE SLASH!!! 3 compartment smoking oven, 11month old used NOW 300k ONLY!! Gas/ Charcoal Powered...Serious buyers only . 08188588576 (WhatsApp)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by piagbara: 2:18pm On May 28, 2018
7000 healthy fingerlings available at Ades farm, ipaja Lagos, contact 09037131248 for your order.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ezinwa25(f): 3:26pm On May 28, 2018
sshy:
CRAZY PRICE SLASH!!! 3 compartment smoking oven, 11month old used NOW 300k ONLY!! Serious buyers only . 08188588576 (WhatsApp)

Picture
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hardeythunji: 5:34pm On May 28, 2018
We supply healthy fingerlings to any part of the country at affordable price range... interested farmer should chat up or contact 08163901989
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sshy: 5:01am On May 29, 2018
Ezinwa25:

Picture
send a whatsapp message to the number given. Pictures will be sent to u. Thank you

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 7:37am On May 29, 2018
sshy:
send a whatsapp message to the number given. Pictures will be sent to u. Thank you
are we watching the plastics or the oven??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cassie74: 7:59am On May 29, 2018
Pls can someone help me out... Who has used aqualis feed.. How good is it.. Heard their feed is on promo now. Cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 10:14am On May 29, 2018
FEED MILL FOR LEASE.

A well equipped feed mill is available in ifo lga of Ogun state is up for lease. The available equipment can be use for the production of poultry feed, fish feed (Floating and sinking ), pig feed,rabbit feed, dog feed and many more.

AVAILABLE EQUIPMENTS/ FACILITIES

# 200kg/hr Extruder for floating and sinking feed
#30/batch stainless steel mixer (60secs/batch)
#250kg/hr Hammer mill with blower
#500kg/batch flatbed dryer (electric and charcoal)
#300kg/hr conveyor dryer
# 45KVA silent cabin generator (Perkins)
# 3 phase connected with recline from transformer nepa light (Stable)
# 60ft by 2ft warehouse /working space.

Bonus: Direct contact to source of cheap livestock feed material.

INTERESTED? For more enquiries and terms of lease, kindly send an email to olowaolugbenga@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 29, 2018
fisher777:

May I suggest you sell them off as melange....and start a new batch. You might have incurred heavy losses already but that's part of the business usually for inexperienced starters....my opinion.

I have come across such scenario with a friend whom someone supplied fingerlings of low performance only to abandon them without guidance. I came across when my friend was about loosing interest and after hearing the story I chipped in a few cents of ideas and personally got the next batch of fingerlings... X4 number of the initial batch...it went well and continued so till I left that area and subsequently feed prices soared throwing many farmers off the ship, my friend too.

Conclusively, start another batch. Remember to source your seed from a good producer. Start them off with a good feed...good starter feed goes a long way. Among imported feeds, it seems Coppens and others has gone on transmission so Skretting appears to be the best(affordability vs quality) in the market for that starter category....(I am not Skretting ambassador o). Follow the tips other farmers here have suggested... Take this from me, whoever will supply your seed, be it the farmer producing the fingerlings or a middleman MUST be readily available to mentor you to success at least with the fish he or she supplied, otherwise he is not interested in your success as a farmer....again my opinion.
good morning sir, pls I like how much will it cost me to raise 4000 fingerlings to table sizes? your input is urgently needed... and I will be grateful if we can talk on phone...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 29, 2018
fisher777:

good morning sir, pls I like how much will it cost me to raise 4000 fingerlings to table sizes? your input is urgently needed... and I will be grateful if we can talk on phone... pls can I have ur contact,
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sshyne(m): 9:44am On May 30, 2018
Cassie74:
Pls can someone help me out... Who has used aqualis feed.. How good is it.. Heard their feed is on promo now. Cheers

Aqualis is very OK.. I do use it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cassie74: 2:38pm On May 30, 2018
sshyne:

Aqualis is very OK.. I do use it

Thanks, bought skretting since I wasn't sure.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 3:00pm On May 30, 2018
Cassie74:

Thanks, bought skretting since I wasn't sure.
skretting is better though more costly
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cassie74: 3:06pm On May 30, 2018
amba2017:
skretting is better though more costly

Got the essential... 500 naira difference
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 3:10pm On May 30, 2018
Ewilonco:
good morning sir, pls I like how much will it cost me to raise 4000 fingerlings to table sizes? your input is urgently needed... and I will be grateful if we can talk on phone...

If you're a first timer please may I suggest you start with juveniles or advanced juveniles if you can find such.

To answer your question point blank may not be easy. This is because certain factors will come into play.
Do you wish to sell after 5 or 6 months?
What is the target weight you wish yo achieve?
What type of feed do you wish to use?
What size of seed do you wish to start with?
What culture method do you wish to practice?
Do you plan to culture during cold season or warm season? -- catfish feeding and growth rate is highly reduced when the water is cold.
Among others.....

What I can tell you is that:

At about stocking your juveniles, each of the little guys is expected to eat about 13-15% of their average body weight..this will go on for nearly 2months reducing arithmetically as they age...

After about two months each would be eating 5-7% of their average body weight

At month 3--- 3-5%

Month 4---- 2-3%

At month 5--- 1-2%

At month 6--- 1% will do just fine

Do not be disturbed by the decrease in percentage consumption per body weight... Their weight gain increases GEOMETRICALLY between 3 - 5 months....mind you this is when you might consider buying feed with cheque or bank transfer.. Lol
By then you should sample 850g.... although quite a few should have made it past 1kg.(let's keep it on the lower end here).... Alright, enough said...my friend let's assume you spent 2mill(on the high side now) to raise your 4000 juveniles.... Now let's do a little math: if at 6 months your fishes average 1.3 (on the low end) and you managed to have 3500 left after rigorous care with monthly slimy hands and feet....then you sell at 800/kg you might mistakenly make a total sales of about 3500000......you could net a small profit of 1.5mill(make sure you don't tell your gf/bf, the money no big abeg).
Basically bro/sis, if you plan to start with 4000 you should have a steady source of funds or stash of 2mill to pull from as and when needed....

take note

You shouldn't spend up to that but if you do....let's hope the fish is of good breed, the feed is of suitable quality and your management is good....then we will also expect you to net av.weight of 1.6kg after 6months (on the low end)...let's hope the market price is on the high end also....I no go do the maths for this one.

My advice before you start or before they get to 3months is to identify a lower cost but good quality feed or better still locate a good feed mill and make your own feed to use after 3 months....you'll be glad you did.

Honestly, I am unable to give you the cost of your own feed should you opt to make your own feed as it will depend on several variable costs and your choice of feed stuff... which will eventually affect your final total expenses besides other operational costs of running your farm 07067248781 Whatsapp
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dnapstar(m): 3:42pm On May 30, 2018
Good day Great farmers...
I have questions.
1)
is this formula still effective and how can i source for the ingredient.
Fish meal (Hanstholm, 72%): 25%
Soya Meal (or full fat soya): 30%
GNC (Groundnut cake): 20%
Dough/Maize/Biscuit (or other main forms of energy/carbohydrate): 20%
Molasses: 5%

2)
How many Juvenile do i stock per sq meter or sq ft?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 30, 2018
fisher777:

If you're a first timer please may I suggest you start with juveniles or advanced juveniles if you can find such.

To answer your question point blank may not be easy. This is because certain factors will come into play.
Do you plan to culture during cold season or warm season? -- catfish feeding and growth rate is highly reduced when the water is cold.
Among others.....

At about stocking your juveniles, each of the little guys is expected to eat about 13-15% of their average body weight..this will go on for nearly 2months reducing arithmetically as they age...

At month 3--- 3-5%

Month 4---- 2-3%

At month 5--- 1-2%

Do not be disturbed by the decrease in percentage consumption per body weight... Their weight gain increases GEOMETRICALLY between 3 - 5 months....mind you this is when you might consider buying feed with cheque or bank transfer.. Lol
By then you should sample 850g.... although quite a few should have made it past 1kg.(let's keep it on the lower end here).... Alright, enough said...my friend let's assume you spent 2mill(on the high side now) to raise your 4000 juveniles.... Now let's do a little math: if at 6 months your fishes average 1.3 (on the low end) and you managed to have 3500 left after rigorous care with monthly slimy hands and feet....then you sell at 800/kg you might mistakenly make a total sales of about 3500000......you could net a small profit of 1.5mill(make sure you don't tell your gf/bf, the money no big abeg).
Basically bro/sis, if you plan to start with 4000 you should have a steady source of funds or stash of 2mill to pull from as and when needed....

take note

You shouldn't spend up to that but if you do....let's hope the fish is of good breed, the feed is of suitable quality and your management is good....then we will also expect you to net av.weight of 1.6kg after 6months (on the low end)...let's hope the market price is on the high end also....I no go do the maths for this one.

My advice before you start or before they get to 3months is to identify a lower cost but good quality feed or better still locate a good feed mill and make your own feed to use after 3 months....you'll be glad you did.

Honestly, I am unable to give you the cost of your own feed should you opt to make your own feed as it will depend on several variable costs and your choice of feed stuff... which will eventually affect your final total expenses besides other operational costs of running your farm 07067248781 Whatsapp
thanks bro... I will chat u up right away
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abescom: 5:07pm On May 30, 2018
fisher777:

Among others.....

At month 3--- 3-5%

Month 4---- 2-3%

At month 5--- 1-2%

take note

Bro I am impressed. Each time I read your replies here I always feel like going to buy a phone again and actually chat you up on whatsapp but will certainly do that one day. I can't for now due to my inability to stay off nairaland whenever I have a phone and oscillating BP.

I have been into this business for 3 months and I must say people like you give me the confidence ( no, don't worry about the BP part it is caused by excess blogging and nairalanding if that word exists ).

I am stocking 4000 next and I have estimated 1.6m for feeding. Won't actually stock until I have blocked 40 bags of ranna, and 1 tonne of interstine. By two months I hope to have sold the current ones ( which I don't expect much from anyway ) and will update this thread asap.

But it is kudos to you. It is a shame that those who started this thread are no longer giving out informations like this unless you buy their e-books or attend courses but you have stayed true to type which I appreciate.

I have one reserve about your post quoted above though. I don't think 800 naira per kilo is attainable. In Ibadan where I am based, the price is currently 600 naira per kilo for what they call Ibadan size and 730 for Abuja size. I think it is better to work with that figure.

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.