Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,196 members, 7,839,068 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1500934 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 6:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
JuveFarms: Success tips for aspiring fish farmers.

Your overall goal in the fish farming business should be to supply fish to the market at competitive prices that still allow you to make a good profit. However, most small-scale catfish farmers make a poor return on their investments because of the presence of several intermediaries and middlemen who tend to offer very low prices for your fish.

A good way to increase the profit potential of this business is to sell directly to consumers. Using this strategy, you can sell your fish at the general retail market price (which is usually much higher than what the middlemen offer), and keep all the profits that the middlemen would have taken off you. The downside to this strategy is that you will only sell a smaller volume of fish at a time compared to the high volumes the middlemen buy.

Should you successfully get a consistent customer base for your fish, this strategy will prove to be very profitable and the scale and cost of running your business will be much smaller. Households, hoteliers, restaurants and catering service businesses are good niche targets and are very likely to become loyal customers as long as your supply is steady and reliable.

In addition, your prices must be competitive and the quality (size) of your fish should dwarf your competition’s. Most entrepreneurs can make a decent living from this business if they focus less on selling volumes and aim for quality (large sizes) which command higher retail prices.

Another good strategy is to improve the value of the fish through processing. A common form of fish processing is drying (smoking). Smoked fish commands much higher prices in the market than its fresh forms and has a longer shelf life (will not spoil easily). Smoked fish has become a popular export commodity due to rising demand from Africans living in the diaspora.

Before you decide to invest your time and money in fish farming, you must first be sure that you have a target market that allows you to achieve profitability. Tnx

Excellent!!! Points noted.
Thanks juve

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AdeoyeAdekunle: 6:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
Am previledge 2 meet one of d boss in d hous yestadey mr AYOSAT in is farm, very simple & humble man. i rily apreciate is kind gesture 4 spending its tym wit me......i rily gain alot....Tanx boss

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biggyblazzy: 8:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
:oPlease house :I am in a big mess right now my fries are dying as a result of the artemia ni had been using I had try all d artemias :inve artemia,Coppen artemia,ocean nutrition artemia .please I need new artemia or feed dat I can feed my fries please help me house .I need your help house !!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 8:40pm On Jul 14, 2014
excelsiorfarm: let him do peppersoup with d sick one
ok i hear o. . . So no remedy once injured. . . . U dey joke abt ds abi
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 8:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
robonski15:

Bro Help the fish by smoking it, fry it or boil with spice

www.agricnetwork.com
is dat frm an experienced catfish farmer or robonski d jester?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 8:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
excelsiorfarm: let him do peppersoup with d sick one
ok i hear o. . . So no remedy once injured. . . . U dey joke abt ds abi
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2014
velly001: ok i hear o. . . So no remedy once injured. . . . U dey joke abt ds abi
Catfish are canivorous in nature. The sight of a wound and d mild reek of blood is enough to trigger the instinct in them. If you leave the wounded fish in there, other fish will end up devouring it. So from Oga Robonski and Excelsior's posts, the writing on the wall is clear. Isolate and consume the injured fish. Shikena!
www.wetalknaira.com

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
AdeoyeAdekunle: Am previledge 2 meet one of d boss in d hous yestadey mr AYOSAT in is farm, very simple & humble man. i rily apreciate is kind gesture 4 spending its tym wit me......i rily gain alot....Tanx boss
it was an honour meeting you sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
velly001: HELP HELP HELP
WOKE UP THIS MAWNIN AND NOTICED ONE OF MY FISH BEING PURSUED ABOUT TRIED TO PICK IT OUT BUH U NO HOW THEY CAN BE. . . AN HOUR LATER, CAME BACK AND NOTICED THAT THE PURSUED FISH WAS ALREADY INJURED IN THE STOMACH,ITS SKIN HAS BEEN BRUISED. . .SO I HAD NO CHOICE BUH TO BRNG IT OUT BY ALL COST, ABEG WAT TREATMENT CAN I USE ON IT FOR QUICK RECOVERY
P:S ITS ARND 4MONTH
i saw this in my inbox. . . Dint no hw to help him so pls guys. . .
the best you can do is to isolate the injured fish into a separate vat. if the injury is too severe it will die anyway. but if it is a minor injury isolating it may save it, with good water management. but to guide against reoccurrence, feed the fish immediately even before the water level gets to the top, it will stop the fish aggressiveness.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
biggyblazzy: :oPlease house :I am in a big mess right now my fries are dying as a result of the artemia ni had been using I had try all d artemias :inve artemia,Coppen artemia,ocean nutrition artemia .please I need new artemia or feed dat I can feed my fries please help me house .I need your help house !!!!!!
sir check the brood stock you use, or better get brood stock from another reliable source. also make sure you maintain good water management. all these artemia you mentioned are good. I use ocean artemia and it work well.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 10:44am On Jul 15, 2014
ayosat: the best you can do is to isolate the injured fish into a separate vat. if the injury is too severe it will die anyway. but if it is a minor injury isolating it may save it, with good water management. but to guide against reoccurrence, feed the fish immediately even before the water level gets to the top, it will stop the fish aggressiveness.
thnks jawe ayo. . . . I did dat already. . . any drug to be administered?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kasid: 11:51am On Jul 15, 2014
sweetpickles:

Excellent!!! Points noted.
Thanks juve
Sir, pls since u r in osun i will like to meet u in person. Pls ur contact.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 11:57am On Jul 15, 2014
velly001:
thnks jawe ayo. . . . I did dat already. . . any drug to be administered?
I don't really use drugs on the injured fish. all I do is good water management. when they start to eat, u know they are on the path to full recovery.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2014
kasid: Sir, pls since u r in osun i will like to meet u in person. Pls ur contact.

Sir, are u refering to me or juve?
We are both in abuja not osun.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
biggyblazzy: :oPlease house :I am in a big mess right now my fries are dying as a result of the artemia ni had been using I had try all d artemias :inve artemia,Coppen artemia,ocean nutrition artemia .please I need new artemia or feed dat I can feed my fries please help me house .I need your help house !!!!!!
Bro i don't think it is the artemia that is the problem, other factors might just be the issue..have u done an overall check of your water p.h, acidity? I will suggest you feed the fries with 0.3mm to clear all doubt..

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 6:28am On Jul 16, 2014
Top of the morning to you all, To all the gurus in the house, How does One identify A GOOD broodstock ? Or how does One know if d brood stock been used is Good or will produce quality seed? Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 12:43pm On Jul 16, 2014
Nice to be back on this thread.

Miss you all

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DBounty(m): 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
ayosat: I don't really use drugs on the injured fish. all I do is good water management. when they start to eat, u know they are on the path to full recovery.
@Ayosat,where is ur location? Guess u fully into hatchery. Wil like to meet u 1/1
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
DBounty: @Ayosat,where is ur location? Guess u fully into hatchery. Wil like to meet u 1/1
@Dbounty. I'm located at ABULE Egba. lagos. 08035193433. it will be my pleasure

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by osca234: 8:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
I will like to meet fish farmers based in delta state... am into fulltime hachery, with plans to go into mellenge soon.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DBounty(m): 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2014
ayosat: @Dbounty. I'm located at ABULE Egba. lagos. 08035193433. it will be my pleasure
Thanks @ Ayosat. God bless u.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
Tbagwell1: Top of the morning to you all, To all the gurus in the house, How does One identify A GOOD broodstock ? Or how does One know if d brood stock been used is Good or will produce quality seed? Thanks.

Choose only male and female fishes that weigh above 1kg so that the fries will also grow into big fishes. some hatchers use brood stock of less than 1kg which is not good because the fries may tend not to grow well.

Make sure the male organ “crosses” and its pink at the dot end.

When pressing out the female eggs for “inspecting” choose only the female fish that have eggs that separate from each other and are golden in colour

make sure that the tummy of the female fish slightly protrudes out, when placed flat-faced down

Make sure that the outlet where the egg of the female fish will come out is slightly dark in colour.

www.agricnetwork.com

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mymoniker(m): 11:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
hello house,
who has patronised kingdom aquarium and fisheries limited recently? maybe for tarpaulin vats or another fishery equipment? whats your review of your business r/ship with them? thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 8:20am On Jul 17, 2014
ayosat: I don't really use drugs on the injured fish. all I do is good water management. when they start to eat, u know they are on the path to full recovery.
ok thanks noted
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 10:54am On Jul 17, 2014
mymoniker: hello house,
who has patronised kingdom aquarium and fisheries limited recently? maybe for tarpaulin vats or another fishery equipment? whats your review of your business r/ship with them? thanks
They are good and genuine,i have done business with them more than once.Bought goods worth 400k from them and delivered to my contact in Abuja.Call the director directly,so he'll give you good discounts/price. 08033026184

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
robonski15:

Choose only male and female fishes that weigh above 1kg so that the fries will also grow into big fishes. some hatchers use brood stock of less than 1kg which is not good because the fries may tend not to grow well.

Make sure the male organ “crosses” and its pink at the dot end.

When pressing out the female eggs for “inspecting” choose only the female fish that have eggs that separate from each other and are golden in colour

make sure that the tummy of the female fish slightly protrudes out, when placed flat-faced down

Make sure that the outlet where the egg of the female fish will come out is slightly dark in colour.

www.agricnetwork.com
Boss, thanks for answering this question, the brood stock I usually use to hatch are from 5kg above the females in particular, as for the male I use from 1kg -2kg, I ve also use 800gram male to hatch, it d same result I usually get. D eggs are sometimes green in nature. Boss am nt trying to say yhu are wrong. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
Tbagwell1:
Boss, thanks for answering this question, the brood stock I usually use to hatch are from 5kg above the females in particular, as for the male I use from 1kg -2kg, I ve also use 800gram male to hatch, it d same result I usually get. D eggs are sometimes green in nature. Boss am nt trying to say yhu are wrong. Thanks

chairman the green eggs are good but the golden/light brown are better to me i prefer using them.. If u notice that there are some light brown catfish in colour not pure black, they tend to grow faster. Boss you spawn with females weighing 5kg? How do u manage to handle such broodstock for stripping considering the size.. I will prefer the male for that size because of the milt, but later changed my mind when i saw the tiniest milt twice in males above 4kg, i later realized its not by size.

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 10:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
robonski15:

chairman the green eggs are good but the golden/light brown are better to me i prefer using them.. If u notice that there are some light brown catfish in colour not pure black, they tend to grow faster. Boss you spawn with females weighing 5kg? How do u manage to handle such broodstock for stripping considering the size.. I will prefer the male for that size because of the milt, but later changed my mind when i saw the tiniest milt twice in males above 4kg, i later realized its not by size.

www.agricnetwork.com
That is d more reason y I prefer using fish weighing less dan 2kg for male is b'cos most of them usually have ds very tinny milt nd dark nd watery. As for stripping of d 5kg fish na 3 of us dey handle am. grin

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 11:17pm On Jul 17, 2014
robonski15:

If u notice that there are some light brown catfish in colour not pure black, they tend to grow faster.

www.agricnetwork.com

Infact u just confirmed wat i av always observed. Dey are usually bigger and fatter dan d others.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Aleshyto(m): 5:24am On Jul 18, 2014
Tank u all for your contributions

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emeritus153: 9:21am On Jul 18, 2014
Belexy:

Infact u just confirmed wat i av always observed. Dey are usually bigger and fatter dan d others.
but what make that different or its just an observation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Deogratiasfx and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.