Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1496552 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
Tbagwell1:
That is d more reason y I prefer using fish weighing less dan 2kg for male is b'cos most of them usually have ds very tinny milt nd dark nd watery. As for stripping of d 5kg fish na 3 of us dey handle am. grin

Chai three hefty men handling one fish grin

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Belexy:

Infact u just confirmed wat i av always observed. Dey are usually bigger and fatter dan d others.

This is also what i have observed years back, it was this same light brown fishes that also changed my failure to success in fish farming. I bough some set they were all the same light brown and within 4 months i could see my money swimming in my pond grin.
well i dont know why they tend to grow faster its just something i observed and i sticked to it..

www.agricnetwork.com

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 3:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
robonski15:

Chai three hefty men handling one fish grin

www.agricnetwork.com
Boss na so.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 6:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
robonski15: My fellow farmers and aspiring farmers fish business is no joke.. Its not what u toil with, its serious business.. Before u venture into it go and learn it practically.. Go to a good farm to see for youself.. Majority of people that claim to the business are thieves.. They have sugar coated mouth to lure people into it and take their money...

I had to sqeeze out time to write this little piece for aspiring and practising farmers..

I am not here to sell any manual,book or fingerlings and juvenile please.. Am here to answer any sort of question you need to know about catfish farming.. Feel free to ask me because I want the best for everybody,let's share ideas and make money together rather than exploiting people... So am all ears to your questions.. GOD BLESS YOU ALL..

visit www.agricnetwork.com to learn more about catfish farming business and also connect with other fish farmers. like us on [url]facebook.com/agricnetwork[/url]
Simple, detailed, wonderful, good, extra ordinary, awesome splendid. Dis is wat I hv been wanting 2 hear 4 d past two years, don't tell me grammer dis is what I hv been seeking to read not all these useless manual with big big grammer. Its just as if I should start shedding tears, fish business has done me shege 4 two years now. This is really an eye opener. Nobody is willing to tell me anytin abt this business na so so manual I dey buy with big big grammer until I read this article I hv lost some cool cash in dis fish farming and eventually packed up, but reading this article I am thinking of dusting my cloths and go back.
God go bless u robonski15, ur generation upon generation will know no lack, God will bless u abudantly and ur generation to come.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sophy17(m): 8:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
Hello @ all,
I need a land I can buy or lease for fish farming within Lagos. This
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2014
fzero:
Simple, detailed, wonderful, good, extra ordinary, awesome splendid. Dis is wat I hv been wanting 2 hear 4 d past two years, don't tell me grammer dis is what I hv been seeking to read not all these useless manual with big big grammer. Its just as if I should start shedding tears, fish business has done me shege 4 two years now. This is really an eye opener. Nobody is willing to tell me anytin abt this business na so so manual I dey buy with big big grammer until I read this article I hv lost some cool cash in dis fish farming and eventually packed up, but reading this article I am thinking of dusting my cloths and go back.
God go bless u robonski15, ur generation upon generation will know no lack, God will bless u abudantly and ur generation to come.

Thank you very much sir!!! I will encourage you read through the thread and ask questions when necessary and kick start your fish farm to a greater height

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dejaylapel: 4:41pm On Jul 19, 2014
Quite an age to all my oga at the top in this house. please I want to dispose my 4 months old fish (700-1000g) at Ile Ife, Osun State. please l need buyer(s). thanks. 08032465515

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2014
I am on page 23 and I hv learnt a whole lot fron these pages, Thank you to all the contributors.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Pls, ensure U buy ur fingerlings or juvenile from a trusted source/farm & neva sell ur fish 2 any of those fish vendors(Mkt women) on credit upon matrurity... U might burn ur hand. May God crown our efforts with huge success!!!
---NUVEMBARZ FARMS PORTHARCOURT.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Keefarms(m): 7:39am On Jul 21, 2014
NUVEMBARZINTL: Pls, ensure U buy ur fingerlings or juvenile from a trusted source/farm & neva sell ur fish 2 any of those fish vendors(Mkt women) on credit upon matrurity... U might burn ur hand. May God crown our efforts with huge success!!!
---NUVEMBARZ FARMS PORTHARCOURT.
Good advice
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 21, 2014
"Stop feeding your fish 24-48hrs b4 they are harvested, this allows them to ease their intestines n makes them beta able to survive the stress of handling & transportation. At least in this way, it will also save u some feeds that would have been doled out un-neccessary."

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ugohs: 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2014
THE GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 1000 ROBONSKI ARMOURED DIVISION I SALUTE U SIR.
SIR, I RECENTLY TRIED HATCHING AND IT WAS SUCCESSFUL MANY THANKS TO YOUR TECHNIQUES BUT THE PROBLEM I HAVE NOW IS KNOWING THE SIZE AND PRODUCT OF FEED I NEED TO GIVE THEM AT 7DAY TODAY, KINDLY LET ME KNOW THE BEST APPROACH TO THIS PROBLEM
THANK YOU.

I must commend your efforts sir, 1kg -1.7kg in four months is wonderful.. Now about the present stock not growing well it 'may' be that the farm u bought them from kept the best for themselves and sold out the rest hence the poor growth. What is the size of this present stock?[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eroma(m): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
Fingerlings available for sale in Rumuodomaya Port Harcourt. Contact: 08033583412
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:20pm On Jul 21, 2014
ugohs: THE GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 1000 ROBONSKI ARMOURED DIVISION I SALUTE U SIR.
SIR, I RECENTLY TRIED HATCHING AND IT WAS SUCCESSFUL MANY THANKS TO YOUR TECHNIQUES BUT THE PROBLEM I HAVE NOW IS KNOWING THE SIZE AND PRODUCT OF FEED I NEED TO GIVE THEM AT 7DAY TODAY, KINDLY LET ME KNOW THE BEST APPROACH TO THIS PROBLEM
THANK YOU.

I am so delighted hearing this good news sir, you should give them artemia for 14 days then switch to 0.3mm for a week,then O.5mm for like a week plus. switch to 0.8mm to 1mm. It all depends on how fast they grow that will also determine when to change feeds.. keep up with good water management and low dirt in the vat

www.agricnetwork.com

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
Hello Fishpreneurs, are you about setting up a large or medium scale Fish farm and in need of a good farm manger/consultant? I have someone who the cap fits. With about 11 yrs. experience in the business.Combining both Tertiary and vocational certificates in Fishery.
His area of competence are as follows:
*Hatchery/Grow out operations ,with 98% Hatchery success rate
*Manages, determine, administer, and execute policy relating to administration, facility maintenance, and standards of fish farm operations
* fertilizing and incubating spawn, feeding and transferring fish, and planting, cultivating, and harvesting.
*Tracking fish life cycles and growth rates and controlling disease.
*Prepare or direct the preparation of fish food, and specify medications to be added to food and water to treat fish for diseases.
*Supervise the artificial spawning of fishes.
*Calculating the feeding regime,
*Monitoring the health of the fish and taking action to treat them when appropriate
*Planning breeding programmes and growing schedules to obtain maximum efficiency and adhering to environmental standards
*Applying knowledge of fish habitats and their effective time management
*Pond construction and layout (Concrete/Earthen)
*Plumbing works
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
He is a graduate of the Federal College of Freshwater and Fisheries Technology New Bussa, Niger State

call me on 08181290616,to meet this fellow.I can vouch for him 100%. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
AgrotConsult: "Stop feeding your fish 24-48hrs b4 they are harvested, this allows them to ease their intestines n makes them beta able to survive the stress of handling & transportation. At least in this way, it will also save u some feeds that would have been doled out un-neccessary."

Spot on.. i remember years back when i was about to sell my fishes, i fed them that morning with the assumption that by feeding they will gain some weight prior to sales.. When i began harvesting it turned out to be a mess, the feeds i gave them was just drooling out of their mouths and it was a total disaster.

www.agricnetwork.com

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by calistaodoh: 7:36pm On Jul 22, 2014
When using earthen pond, is there need for sorting? Pls i'll like to know this.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
This data loss have affected us negatively. Comments have been so scanty, seems the interest and enthusism is not there as before.

Please let's keep this thread going.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
Dear gurus in the house I have a question, I have not used my hatchery for three months now and the place is also used as generator house (6kva petrol gen). I intend to hatch say next week. questions :

1 do I need to go ahead wash the vats and hatch or fumigate first?
2. I've never fumigated before, if I have to fumigate, what chemical/substance do I use to?
3. Do I need to treat my water before spawning? If yes what chemical/solution is required? And how?

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
mozek24: Dear gurus in the house I have a question, I have not used my hatchery for three months now and the place is also used as generator house (6kva petrol gen). I intend to hatch say next week. questions :

2. I've never fumigated before, if I have to fumigate, what chemical/substance do I use to?
3. Do I need to treat my water before spawning? If yes what chemical/solution is required? And how?

Thank you

I will advice you first fumigate but i don't really know any chemical/substance to use, someone can assist on this. wash your vat thoroughly with detergent and rinse well with water. Test the P.H of your water to ascertain its level if you need to treat the water or not.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 12:00am On Jul 24, 2014
calistaodoh: When using earthen pond, is there need for sorting? Pls i'll like to know this.

YES..... if their sizes vary greatly.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleinc: 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2014
I will like to say Thanks to everybody that contributed to this thread, its been so amazing and helps alot. I gain much experience here in the thread.

Please i need a good buyer in Lagos or close to Ikorodu side. I have 3000 plus catfish ready for harvest. They are from 800gr to 1.2kg.

Any serious buyer should call me on 09093647351 or 08050406586

Thanks

Wale

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emeritus153: 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2014
robonski15:

I am so delighted hearing this good news sir, you should give them artemia for 14 days then switch to 0.3mm for a week,then O.5mm for like a week plus. switch to 0.8mm to 1mm. It all depends on how fast they grow that will also determine when to change feeds.. keep up with good water management and low dirt in the vat

www.agricnetwork.com
hello my man, pls I want to start my hatchery work and I want you to put me through. I will be happy if you can help with you little ability.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emeritus153: 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2014
Emeritus153: hello my man, pls I want to start my hatchery work and I want you to put me through. I will be happy if you can help with you little ability.
I mean your little capacity.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:07pm On Jul 24, 2014
mozek24: Dear gurus in the house I have a question, I have not used my hatchery for three months now and the place is also used as generator house (6kva petrol gen). I intend to hatch say next week. questions :

Thank you
let me just come in briefly, before u even think of chemical to fumigate with, u have to know d purpose, u fumigate first, then wash your vat, though advisable to cover your vat, reason is if u use a strong chemical/solution, d residue might not be washed effectively,hence when water react with it, it will keep your fries, if your water is good,why treat it, ever heard of people dying from carbon monoxide i.e. Smoke from generator,if d outlet or space is small or not properly ventilated, this fumes can dissolve in d water of your ponds,react, produce carbon dioxide, which we all know doesnt support life,u know fries can be fragile

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:03pm On Jul 24, 2014
excelsiorfarm: let me just come in briefly, before u even think of chemical to fumigate with, u have to know d purpose, u fumigate first, then wash your vat, though advisable to cover your vat, reason is if u use a strong chemical/solution, d residue might not be washed effectively,hence when water react with it, it will keep your fries, if your water is good,why treat it, ever heard of people dying from carbon monoxide i.e. Smoke from generator,if d outlet or space is small or not properly ventilated, this fumes can dissolve in d water of your ponds,react, produce carbon dioxide, which we all know doesnt support life,u know fries can be fragile

Thank you sir,

I guess I will just wash d vat and hatch but find alternative location for the yeye gen
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2014
robonski15:

I will advice you first fumigate but i don't really know any chemical/substance to use, someone can assist on this. wash your vat thoroughly with detergent and rinse well with water. Test the P.H of your water to ascertain its level if you need to treat the water or not.

www.agricnetwork.com

Thanks bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by KA24DETT(m): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2014
robonski15:

www.agricnetwork.com

Boss man, How long was your training at songhai institute? How long did you stay there for? thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 24, 2014
calistaodoh: When using earthen pond, is there need for sorting? Pls i'll like to know this.
Sorting in Earthen pond is not easy unlike Concrete pond. If pond is not over stocked & the fishes are not starving. Sorting can be done @ 2months. Personally i always sort before stocking. Tnx.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 25, 2014
robonski15:

www.agricnetwork.com
And in addition to that; a little inclusion of squeezed drops of orange lime into the water vat will go a long way, as it proves to be the only effective and natural disinfectant for fish pond or hatchery treatment.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:32pm On Jul 25, 2014
Emeritus153: hello my man, pls I want to start my hatchery work and I want you to put me through. I will be happy if you can help with you little ability.

We can be of help to you sir, which type of pond system do u want to put in place for the hatchery? concrete, plastic vat or wooden vat wit tarpoline..

www.agricnetwork.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.