Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,257 members, 7,849,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:47 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1504379 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 7:01pm On Jul 11, 2014
Belexy:

Did u over stock? Are u feeding dem well d way u fed the lastbatch? yeah its possible dey kept all d shooters and den gave u the 'runts'
You are right, Sir. Excluding health challenges; quality of feed, pattern of feeding and water management are factors that can influence his results even with the same quality of seed.
www.wetalknaira.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AdeoyeAdekunle: 8:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
Belexy: For the lagos based catfish farmers, drop ur bbm pins or number so dat i can add u to the group. We need to av a meeting. Or better still, contact me on whatsapp: 08023000802 or BBM: 7C642157 so i add u to d grp.
herdex :08035256328

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AdeoyeAdekunle: 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2014
My boss in d hous kindly explain hw 2 difretiate btw clarias & hetero.....pls mr Robonski, excelsior,Ayosat, belexy,juve....we re xpetin ur judgement on dis
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hipinnacle: 11:56pm On Jul 11, 2014
mr Robonski, excelsior,Ayosat, belexy,juve & great guys in d house, it will b splendid and to make our agric ventures to be at faster rate. lets work and join hands together to make agric project a massive one in Nigeria.

we need to launch a national association of agric practitioners to put pressure on govt. to make agriculture worth venturing into by the youths. associations like NBA, MAN, ASSU etc. all started some years back and today they are big and recognised worldwide. we can borrow a leaf from them by also uniting under the same platform. i suggested and unfolds d plan on this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/1807984/let-form-national-association-youth
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 6:07am On Jul 12, 2014
hipinnacle: mr Robonski, excelsior,Ayosat, belexy,juve & great guys in d house, it will b splendid and to make our agric ventures to be at faster rate. lets work and join hands together to make agric project a massive one in Nigeria.

we need to launch a national association of agric practitioners to put pressure on govt. to make agriculture worth venturing into by the youths. associations like NBA, MAN, ASSU etc. all started some years back and today they are big and recognised worldwide. we can borrow a leaf from them by also uniting under the same platform. i suggested and unfolds d plan on this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/1807984/let-form-national-association-youth

Yes u are right. There is strenght in numbers. . . . .Thanks to Oga Robonski we are already working on somtin like dat for fish farmers. wink
Maybe you should contact robonski to discuss further with him.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
hipinnacle: mr Robonski, excelsior,Ayosat, belexy,juve & great guys in d house, it will b splendid and to make our agric ventures to be at faster rate. lets work and join hands together to make agric project a massive one in Nigeria.

@hipinnacle, its indeed a worthwhile idea. Like belexy said maybe you contact Mr Robonski for futher delebration. Expecting update asap. Tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:58pm On Jul 12, 2014

there are agric associations, it isn't enough to register a name, lots of work will be done to promote it to relevant like d associations you mentioned, at d same time it is good meeting with a few leaders(lawmaker/big farm/ good association etc for endorsement), makes it easier to endure, provided it has good goal, not self-centered, focus, interest of all, then such body will easily be acknowledge
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2014
sweetpickles:
Are those fishes or baby whale shocked
Mr juve pls tell us your secret oo.
Imagine if I got like 20tonnes fishes of this size grin
By the way where is my excelsiorfarm , belexy, abx1, tokugawa, mr fheemy the expert...
my sister aim always around, watching, u never left my radar (laugh), i believe you are doing great, God Bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hipinnacle: 12:25am On Jul 13, 2014
excelsiorfarm: there are agric associations, it isn't enough to register a name, lots of work will be done to promote it to relevant like d associations you mentioned, at d same time it is good meeting with a few leaders(lawmaker/big farm/ good association etc for endorsement), makes it easier to endure, provided it has good goal, not self-centered, focus, interest of all, then such body will easily be acknowledge

I totally agree wt u my broda, to bring any association into prominence, it entails a whole lot of works to b done. this is because nothing great comes cheaply & this is why am clamoring 4 d support of everybody to make this national transformation dream a success. i will nt hesitate to call u so as to discuss further on this to look together @ possible practicalities.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 5:05am On Jul 13, 2014
excelsiorfarm: my sister aim always around, watching, u never left my radar (laugh), i believe you are doing great, God Bless
I am doing just fine sir, enjoying my summer holiday.so happy I am on your radar. By the way, I have not seen your valuable contributions on agricnetwork, what's the problem sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:23am On Jul 13, 2014
hipinnacle:

I totally agree wt u my broda, to bring any association into prominence, it entails a whole lot of works to b done. this is because nothing great comes cheaply & this is why am clamoring 4 d support of everybody to make this national transformation dream a success. i will nt hesitate to call u so as to discuss further on this to look together @ possible practicalities.
no problem, though i feel there is lots of input others can give too, then u filter thru it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:34am On Jul 13, 2014
sweetpickles:
I am doing just fine sir, enjoying my summer holiday.so happy I am on your radar. By the way, I have not seen your valuable contributions on agricnetwork, what's the problem sir.
no problem ma, there was call for an agric section on nairaland & seun had being humble enough to oblige us such opportunity, hence i decided to key in that section ma. If none of my writeup is on agricnetwork.com; possibly it was deleted or data was lost. Have a great summer & enjoy your week
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayomill62(m): 9:53am On Jul 13, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
excelsiorfarm: no problem ma, there was call for an agric section on nairaland & seun had being humble enough to oblige us such opportunity, hence i decided to key in that section ma. If none of my writeup is on agricnetwork.com; possibly it was deleted or data was lost. Have a great summer & enjoy your week
Hmmmm, your write ups are still on the agricnetwork/blog, I still read two of your articles there yesterday. Enjoy your sunday!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
sweetpickles:
Hmmmm, your write ups are still on the agricnetwork/blog, I still read two of your articles there yesterday. Enjoy your sunday!
thanks ma
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tobbyte(m): 7:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
pls house am a novice i need farmers around lagos so i can visit dere farm and learn more...pls help a broder
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tunax5loon(m): 8:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
tobbyte: hello house...pls if u are a farmer from ijebu ode, ijebu igbo, nd around d ijebu environment pls drop ur number
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
@Sweetpickles,m always on here reading other's contributions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:56am On Jul 14, 2014
tobbyte: pls house am a novice i need farmers around lagos so i can visit dere farm and learn more...pls help a broder
You can contact belexy, mickyfish, !!!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 8:23am On Jul 14, 2014
My humble self with Ab1x

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ugohs: 10:31am On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=robonski15]

[color=#990000][i][b]I must commend your efforts sir, 1kg -1.7kg in four months is wonderful.. Now about the present stock not growing well it 'may' be that the farm u bought them from kept the best for themselves and sold out the rest hence the poor growth. What is the size of this present stock?

Many thanks for your quick response, i feel they kept the best shooters for themselves but i brought the seller to my farm, even accused him of selling me runts and he was still giving me assurance that they will grow.
I just started hatching over the weekend and found out many of my eggs did not hatch within 24hours and my tutor instructed me to remove the hatching net when there are still lots of green unhatched eggs on it.
I need to know how long the eggs are supposed to last on the hatching net before removal and also the best food and drug for the fries at this stage.please reply ASAP.
THE ABLE ROBONSKI..
(RESPECT LARGE)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by clemcy4real: 12:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
NELSON FISH FARMS

We currently have over 93,000 pieces of FAST GROWING catfish post fingerlings and juvenile.
To place your order, call:
(1) Nelson on 08071200840, for people in Delta state or closer to Delta state. OR
(2) Clement on 08163404203, for people in Ekiti state, Lagos state, Ibadan, Kwara state, Ogun state and other south east states.
Door-to-door delivery service is available on request.

NOTE: We do not sell grunts. Instead we use them as EXTRA FEED to feed our table size catfish. We sell only FAST GROWING catfish post fingerlings and Juvenile, so that our customer could be motivated to buy from us next time. That is our policy. A trial will convince you. We are hoping to see you soon. Do have a nice day.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 12:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
HELP HELP HELP

WOKE UP THIS MAWNIN AND NOTICED ONE OF MY FISH BEING PURSUED ABOUT TRIED TO PICK IT OUT BUH U NO HOW THEY CAN BE. . . AN HOUR LATER, CAME BACK AND NOTICED THAT THE PURSUED FISH WAS ALREADY INJURED IN THE STOMACH,ITS SKIN HAS BEEN BRUISED. . .SO I HAD NO CHOICE BUH TO BRNG IT OUT BY ALL COST, ABEG WAT TREATMENT CAN I USE ON IT FOR QUICK RECOVERY

P:S ITS ARND 4MONTH

i saw this in my inbox. . . Dint no hw to help him so pls guys. . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Success tips for aspiring fish farmers.

Your overall goal in the fish farming business should be to supply fish to the market at competitive prices that still allow you to make a good profit. However, most small-scale catfish farmers make a poor return on their investments because of the presence of several intermediaries and middlemen who tend to offer very low prices for your fish.

A good way to increase the profit potential of this business is to sell directly to consumers. Using this strategy, you can sell your fish at the general retail market price (which is usually much higher than what the middlemen offer), and keep all the profits that the middlemen would have taken off you. The downside to this strategy is that you will only sell a smaller volume of fish at a time compared to the high volumes the middlemen buy.

Should you successfully get a consistent customer base for your fish, this strategy will prove to be very profitable and the scale and cost of running your business will be much smaller. Households, hoteliers, restaurants and catering service businesses are good niche targets and are very likely to become loyal customers as long as your supply is steady and reliable.

In addition, your prices must be competitive and the quality (size) of your fish should dwarf your competition’s. Most entrepreneurs can make a decent living from this business if they focus less on selling volumes and aim for quality (large sizes) which command higher retail prices.

Another good strategy is to improve the value of the fish through processing. A common form of fish processing is drying (smoking). Smoked fish commands much higher prices in the market than its fresh forms and has a longer shelf life (will not spoil easily). Smoked fish has become a popular export commodity due to rising demand from Africans living in the diaspora.

Before you decide to invest your time and money in fish farming, you must first be sure that you have a target market that allows you to achieve profitability. Tnx

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
JuveFarms: Success tips for aspiring fish farmers.

Your overall goal in the fish farming business should be to supply fish to the market at competitive prices that still allow you to make a good profit. However, most small-scale catfish farmers make a poor return on their investments because of the presence of several intermediaries and middlemen who tend to offer very low prices for your fish.

A good way to increase the profit potential of this business is to sell directly to consumers. Using this strategy, you can sell your fish at the general retail market price (which is usually much higher than what the middlemen offer), and keep all the profits that the middlemen would have taken off you. The downside to this strategy is that you will only sell a smaller volume of fish at a time compared to the high volumes the middlemen buy.

Should you successfully get a consistent customer base for your fish, this strategy will prove to be very profitable and the scale and cost of running your business will be much smaller. Households, hoteliers, restaurants and catering service businesses are good niche targets and are very likely to become loyal customers as long as your supply is steady and reliable.

In addition, your prices must be competitive and the quality (size) of your fish should dwarf your competition’s. Most entrepreneurs can make a decent living from this business if they focus less on selling volumes and aim for quality (large sizes) which command higher retail prices.

Another good strategy is to improve the value of the fish through processing. A common form of fish processing is drying (smoking). Smoked fish commands much higher prices in the market than its fresh forms and has a longer shelf life (will not spoil easily). Smoked fish has become a popular export commodity due to rising demand from Africans living in the diaspora.

Before you decide to invest your time and money in fish farming, you must first be sure that you have a target market that allows you to achieve profitability. Tnx

HELP HELP HELP

WOKE UP THIS MAWNIN AND NOTICED ONE OF MY FISH BEING PURSUED ABOUT TRIED TO PICK IT OUT BUH U NO HOW THEY CAN BE. . . AN HOUR LATER, CAME BACK AND NOTICED THAT THE PURSUED FISH WAS ALREADY INJURED IN THE STOMACH,ITS SKIN HAS BEEN BRUISED. . .SO I HAD NO CHOICE BUH TO BRNG IT OUT BY ALL COST, ABEG WAT TREATMENT CAN I USE ON IT FOR QUICK RECOVERY

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 2:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
robonski15:
You can contact belexy, mickyfish, !!!
HELP HELP HELP

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 2:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
excelsiorfarm: no problem, though i feel there is lots of input others can give too, then u filter thru it
HELP HELP HELP

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2014
HELP HELP HELP

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by velly001(m): 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
i also notice same in my pond. . . altho no bruise just broken whiskers buh i left it in the pond. . .. .any side effect?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
velly001: HELP HELP HELP

let him do peppersoup with d sick one
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
velly001: HELP HELP HELP

Bro Help the fish by smoking it, fry it or boil with spice

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
TOKUGAWA: My humble self with Ab1x

Nice one.. The two earthen pond specialist

www.agricnetwork.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.