Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,614 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? (20563 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
@Op if u went to a church last week and the pastor preached about HELL and death, U attend the same church this week and he preached about HELL part 2 will u bother going to the church Next week.?? YES OR NO
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by 50calibre(m): 1:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
Flyin' Saucer:
Because nobody wants to sound stupid nowadays, pastor or no pastor. Unless u still believe in elves, fairies, unicorn, santa n d monster inna d closet.

So it's because the pastor doesn't want to sound silly right? How about you, don't you feel silly using "flying saucer" as your username? I can tell you believe in UFOs
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by moodswing(m): 1:08pm On Apr 28, 2013
How not to ruin your church: don't preach about sin an hell. It scares the hell out of everyone.

Talk prosperity, miracle and conjure up prophecies then your the eish.
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Gombs(m): 1:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
You guys are the problem of the church of God...lemme ask you somfin..if hell was preached everyday in church you for still fit enter church?..wen thr are oda much important things God wants us to learn, you are thr saying preaching abt hell has reduced

Lemme take you to hebrews 6 v 1 and 2 ( cos I knw you dnt study your bible)

Amplified: THEREFORE LET us go on and get past the elementary
stage in the teachings and doctrine of Christ (the Messiah), advancing
steadily toward the completeness and perfection that belong to spiritual
maturity. Let us not again be laying the foundation of repentance and
abandonment of dead works (dead formalism) and of the faith [by
which you turned] to God, (Amplified Bible - Lockman)
Barclay: So, then, let us leave elementary teaching about Christ
behind us and let us be borne onwards to full maturity; for we cannot
go on laying the foundations all the time and teaching about
repentance from dead works (Westminster Press)
NLT: So let us stop going over the basics of Christianity again and
again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding.
Surely we don't need to start all over again with the importance of
turning away from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. (NLT -
Tyndale House)
Phillips: - Let us leave behind the elementary teaching about Christ
and go forward to adult understanding. Let us not lay over and over
again the foundation truths - repentance from the deeds which led to death, believing in God (Phillips: Touchstone)
Wuest: Therefore, having put away once for all the beginning word of the Messiah [the first testament in animal blood, i.e., the Mosaic
economy], let us be carried along to that which is complete [the new
testament in Jesus’ blood], not again laying down a foundation of
repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God (Eerdmans)
Young's Literal: Wherefore, having left the word of the beginning of
the Christ, unto the perfection we may advance, not again a foundation laying of reformation from dead works, and of faith on God,

Pls ruminate on the above..if you still wanna be contentious, then you need...wait first, are you born again?
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Olaone1: 1:12pm On Apr 28, 2013
50calibre:

So it's because the pastor doesn't want to sound silly right? How about you, don't you feel silly using "flying saucer" as your username? I can tell you believe in UFOs
grin lmao
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by 50calibre(m): 1:13pm On Apr 28, 2013
Segeggs: @op
Hell is a myth; these pastors know it dats why u see dem living immorally. Besides,horror films dont scare people anymore,even kids.

pastors used scare tactics to draw in members,as it stop working they changed to prosperity gospel. I wonder what these smart men would use next.

The devil loves people like you, people who are spiritually blind to see and deaf to hear. The problem is by the time you realise you've been on the wrong path, it may be too late for you.

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; - 1 Timothy 4 vs 2

Don't say you haven't heard the word, because it shall stand against you someday.

4 Likes

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Olaone1: 1:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
Segeggs: @op
Hell is a myth; these pastors know it dats why u see dem living immorally. Besides,horror films dont scare people anymore,even kids.

pastors used scare tactics to draw in members,as it stop working they changed to prosperity gospel. I wonder what these smart men would use next.
You're right!
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by tchaik(m): 1:15pm On Apr 28, 2013
musKeeto: I used to think GOD was NOT REAL, until I had a vision about hell...

Red, sticky with cooked flesh floating, the bowl of peppersoup and cow meat was handed over to me. I had heard stories about this scary place, but never heard about the chef.

The following was a conversation I had with him..

@Satan: We didn't get to hear your version. What really happened?

Lucifer: You see I was king of heaven, then Yahweh and Gabriel conspired against me. They kicked me out. Of course, I was the one who planted the tree. I always knew Yahweh had their eyes on my throne. So like a good programmer, I put a backdoor in the garden, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Yahweh was scared when he found out. He tried uprooting the tree, but of course that was impossible.. He knew that if mankind ever knew the truth, they wouldn't worship Him. Why do you think He rules by fear? Look at the number of people
He destroyed in the Old Testament... how many did I kill? So I possessed a snake (by the way, forget those stories, snakes never had legs, I created them to slide) and told Eve the truth. Then she told Adam, and Yahweh was very displeased.. In His wrath, He cursed the snake and mankind. He couldn't curse me.Ever since then, mankind have tried to serve me, by chasing knowledge and freedom, yet Yahweh has always kept punishing them.. Jelosi go kill am...

Me: but Satan, na wa o.. which kain yarns be dis? Truly, you be deceiver..

Satan: you say... no be yahweh dey do all the evil wey dey this world, when im finish una go come blame me? See, I sabi speak Pidgin. According to Yahweh, all languages commot because people been dey build tower of Babel.. lie lie man.. So even pidgin (better warri broken) start on top TOWER matter? lwkmd.. Anyways, make I saturate you with a few verses from your Bible.

Even im pikin wey try beta pass am small, still get small of im papa character..

me: , stop stop e don do.. *hails fela, hitler, michael jackson, all the catholic priests, all the sinning christians, nigerian politicians, oledepo, adeboye... plus all my african ancestors wey no hear abt Jesus...*

REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND...

Yahweh's on the winning side. He's not GOOD/EVIL.. He WON.. that's all that matters.. atheists and bad belle ppl, i wan go heaven o... wink

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by badmeat(m): 1:17pm On Apr 28, 2013
If you try am,na badt market be that o,na only grannys dem go full ya church,
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 28, 2013
staggerman: Jesus did not send anyone to preach about hell, death and lake of fire. He sent His disciples to preach about the KINGDOM OF GOD (RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE AND JOY IN THE HOLY GHOST)

I beg to disagree. You cant talk about righteousness without mentioning hell or heaven cos thats your reward for obeying or disobeying
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by sweetnigga(m): 1:21pm On Apr 28, 2013
staggerman: Jesus did not send anyone to preach about hell, death and lake of fire. He sent His disciples to preach about the KINGDOM OF GOD (RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE AND JOY IN THE HOLY GHOST)
then which of the churches have you seen preaching that lately ?
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by nep2ra(m): 1:26pm On Apr 28, 2013
Hear Jesus of Nazareth:

"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out – those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned." ~ John 5:28-29 NIV

Hear the Apostle Paul:

"When the governor motioned for him to speak, Paul replied: ‘I know that for a number of years you have been a judge over this nation; so I gladly make my defence. You can easily verify that no more than twelve days ago I went up to Jerusalem to worship. My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me. However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man." ~ Acts 24:16 NIV

I don't see how hell fire applies here except you are eager to contradict yourself. undecided
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by cold(m): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2013
Kamsy10:

I beg to disagree. You cant talk about righteousness without mentioning hell or heaven cos thats your reward for obeying or disobeying
Oh really?

1 Like

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by mysticgal(f): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2013
someone buqgled my house,carted wit ma fone,parents lapy,atms,clots nd cake.so i wil be offline 4 d mintym.
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Apr 28, 2013

[size=14pt]
I've noticed too. These days, it's Prosperity, peosperity and Prosperity.

Those days, the way they use Hell to scare wil even make you start considering it as an option since it seems it's only perfect Christians that can escape hell.

[/size]
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by james1(m): 1:34pm On Apr 28, 2013
Simple;people love to live and many care less about the afterlife.many pastors have probably come to that understanding;why send your members on their way with strong talk when you can keep them?
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by coolzeal(m): 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2013
Hell does not exist and the only heaven i know is between a woman's legs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Olaone1: 1:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
coolzeal: Hell does not exist and the only heaven i know is between a woman leg.

hmmmm. words on marble? wink
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by obowunmi(m): 1:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
Because hell is not real.

1 Like

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by diamondcrownltd(f): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
ZACHIE: Except perhaps in a few old generation churches, it is hard to hear any pastor talk about hellfire, lately.
is it that the topic is no longer true, or it is not contemporaneous?

are you sure see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSE6wbM_-C4
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
musKeeto: I used to think GOD was NOT REAL, until I had a vision about hell...

Red, sticky with cooked flesh floating, the bowl of peppersoup and cow meat was handed over to me. I had heard stories about this scary place, but never heard about the chef.

The following was a conversation I had with him..

@Satan: We didn't get to hear your version. What really happened?

Lucifer: You see I was king of heaven, then Yahweh and Gabriel conspired against me. They kicked me out. Of course, I was the one who planted the tree. I always knew Yahweh had their eyes on my throne. So like a good programmer, I put a backdoor in the garden, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Yahweh was scared when he found out. He tried uprooting the tree, but of course that was impossible.. He knew that if mankind ever knew the truth, they wouldn't worship Him. Why do you think He rules by fear? Look at the number of people
He destroyed in the Old Testament... how many did I kill? So I possessed a snake (by the way, forget those stories, snakes never had legs, I created them to slide) and told Eve the truth. Then she told Adam, and Yahweh was very displeased.. In His wrath, He cursed the snake and mankind. He couldn't curse me.Ever since then, mankind have tried to serve me, by chasing knowledge and freedom, yet Yahweh has always kept punishing them.. Jelosi go kill am...

Me: but Satan, na wa o.. which kain yarns be dis? Truly, you be deceiver..

Satan: you say... no be yahweh dey do all the evil wey dey this world, when im finish una go come blame me? See, I sabi speak Pidgin. According to Yahweh, all languages commot because people been dey build tower of Babel.. lie lie man.. So even pidgin (better warri broken) start on top TOWER matter? lwkmd.. Anyways, make I saturate you with a few verses from your Bible.

Even im pikin wey try beta pass am small, still get small of im papa character..

me: , stop stop e don do.. *hails fela, hitler, michael jackson, all the catholic priests, all the sinning christians, nigerian politicians, oledepo, adeboye... plus all my african ancestors wey no hear abt Jesus...*

REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND...

Yahweh's on the winning side. He's not GOOD/EVIL.. He WON.. that's all that matters.. atheists and bad belle ppl, i wan go heaven o... wink
lame!!!
Truth be told, it is very clear dt atheism I'd a religion of the devil. U knw, i see most of u attack christians!
Why them?
I think apart from islam, we av scientology, hindism, and others.
Dude, u need not tell me christianity is d oly religion dt offended u guys d most.
Dude, u are a lame excuse!

1 Like

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by mercenaryx(m): 1:51pm On Apr 28, 2013
To say 'Atheist are fools' is enough to conclude the insanity of some of us here! For the fact that you believe that there is a God that controls and determines man's existence doesn't make you sane or a better being and it doesn't make those who differ from your beliefs any less a being than you. I am a relativist and a Pantheist but that doesn't guarantee me labeling those who don't patronize my beliefs as fools- it is sheer mediocrity and absolutism of the highest level. As for the topic at hand, Hell fire gospel no longer win bread for the rabbi'...... #FreemanDavid

1 Like

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by OmoTier1(m): 2:07pm On Apr 28, 2013
Jesus never sent you to preach about Hell! When He was about leaving to meet our God, He said..."Go yea into all nations and preach THE GOSPEL..." Gospel means the good news of the salvation which God has brought to humanity without prejudice.

No man will ever get saved by the threat of a message of Hell fire, rather, Gods redeeming works and His power to save is in the message of repentance unto righteous by accepting the ULTIMATE sacrifice of Jesus, wherein His blood was shed on the cross and His body broken that ALL man may no longer live under the bondage of sin, death and grave.

I repeat, the message of Hell fire will never set any man free from the bondage of sin and death so why not preach JESUS and let the HOLY SPIRIT convict that soul and set them free for eternity in Christ?
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by nenergy(m): 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2013
It's bad for business! What do you expect, when churches have INC behind their names.

1 Like

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by OmoTier1(m): 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2013
obowunmi: Because hell is not real.
Do not let the devil deceive you. HELL is real and the LAKE of FIRE is real. That you cannot see the wind does not mean it does not exist. Make hay while the sun shine, else it may be too late.
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 28, 2013
....preaching of hell in the churches ceases cos it's not profitable doing so......
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by fr3do(m): 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
mazaje:

I used to be petrified by this movie when I first watched it as a young teenager, my mum actually used it to convert us to christianity from islam. . .I was SO AFRAID of this thrash back it the days. . .Its so obvious that this nonsense drama will not even scare the kids of today. . .I repeat the hell myth does not make sense or sound as a just system to many christians any more. It sounds sadistic and immoral, only the very fundamentalist deluded ones still believe in the hell myth, evenamongst them they have erected their own ideas about it because it still doesn't make sense to many of them. . .

I was watching the god TV about few years(2-3) ago when i went visiting a friend in his house, a guy was on TV and was explaining the concept of hell to his audience, he was saying that god will not punish people for ever in hell, they will stay in hell and feel excruciating pains for the number of years they lived here on earth after which god will allow their souls to stay in the fire(a seperation from him) with out feeling any pain for eternity. . .I wonder where he got that concept from but its obvious that even for him as a end of day fire and brimestone preacher the hell myth doesn't sound moral or as a good form of justice. . .

our sense of morality is limited to human factors.
God is not human.
God cannot be wrong or right.
Who are we to judge Him?
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by mercenaryx(m): 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
Omo_Tier1: Jesus never sent you to preach about Hell! When He was about leaving to meet our God, He said..."Go yea into all nations and preach THE GOSPEL..." Gospel means the good news of the salvation which God has brought to humanity without prejudice.

No man will ever get saved by the threat of a message of Hell fire, rather, Gods redeeming works and His power to save is in the message of repentance unto righteous by accepting the ULTIMATE sacrifice of Jesus, wherein His blood was shed on the cross and His body broken that ALL man may no longer live under the bondage of sin, death and grave.

I repeat, the message of Hell fire will never set any man free from the bondage of sin and death so why not preach JESUS and let the HOLY SPIRIT convict that soul and set them free for eternity in Christ?

Ignoratio Elenchi
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2013
Because preaching about hell is not going to motivate you to pay your tithes cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by OmoTier1(m): 2:21pm On Apr 28, 2013
mercenaryx: To say 'Atheist are fools' is enough to conclude the insanity of some of us here! For the fact that you believe that there is a God that controls and determines man's existence doesn't make you sane or a better being and it doesn't make those who differ from your beliefs any less a being than you. I am a relativist and a Pantheist but that doesn't guarantee me labeling those who don't patronize my beliefs as fools- it is sheer mediocrity and absolutism of the highest level. As for the topic at hand, Hell fire gospel no longer win bread for the rabbi'...... #FreemanDavid
You know, it does not matter what you think or feel or yourself, God still loves you more. Like the bible says, let those who are being deceived continue to be deceive, let him that is wise take hid and flee, and receive that grace and be saved.
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by fr3do(m): 2:22pm On Apr 28, 2013
How come some of you believe that there is 'juju' and money rituals without believing there is God,heaven,satan and hell?
Atheists my foot!
Re: Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? by OmoTier1(m): 2:25pm On Apr 28, 2013
pDude: Because preaching about hell is not going to motivate you to pay your tithes cheesy
Many of you who talk about tithing are the stingy folks whose heart is forever receiving and never giving. If you do not tithe, why not leave those that tithe to continue to do so and let them continue to reap the benefit God promised?

The message of Hell is still being preached, but not in the manner many witnessed in the past. Screaming death and Hell to peoples face will not get them to know Christ.

Apostle Paul preached Christ and the mystery behind the salvation God has brought to all mankind than He ever talked about Hell and yet He was one of the greatest Soul Winners to have graced the face of the earth. Does that not tell you were the power is: Preach Jesus and His redeeming blood that saves from sin and death.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse?"- Christian Perspective / UK Christian Preacher Convicted Over Abortion Clinic Protest / Femi Aribisala: "First Fruit, 419 Pastors Salivating For Your January Salary"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.