Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? (13558 Views)

Notable Signs That You Had A Good Or Bad Interview- What To Do Afterwards / How To Reply To Interview Invitation / Is It A Must You Wear A Suit To Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Caracta(f): 11:22am On Apr 04, 2013
Chei! Rotflol...

But seriously, why take an iPad to an interview? Wait, you mean you would bring out your laptop, set it on the table, plug its charger, punch in your password and start reading questions you have prepared for the interviewers? You are kidding, right? You expect them to wait for you while you do all that?
Except on request, an iPod, iPad, iPen, iPhone, iPin, i-whatever is absolutely unnecessary.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 04, 2013
Artistree: Normally, interviews are conducted by 3 or more persons so I'll suggest you go with a projector instead 4 a wider view of your CV by d panel as d a laptop would be 2small.
You are baaaad. lol
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by rozayx5(m): 11:25am On Apr 04, 2013
Una still dey go interview, smh ... for this economy undecided undecided
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by adewasco2k(m): 11:27am On Apr 04, 2013
Seriously i have gone for interviews with my tablet and sometimes laptop as the case may be....it depends on the job in focus....if i am going for a programing or graphic designing job i take my laptop along otherwise i go with my Tablet, reason being that i can easy get to all my works if need be and also i can still get online to get some information about the firm as sometimes when seated waiting for an interview you can see things in the waiting room and you will want to know more before gong in...

But to go into the interview holding a tablet? NO WAY
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 04, 2013
Not a bad idea oo
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ogbodavies(m): 11:31am On Apr 04, 2013
U forget 2 include a socket,so as to plug d ipad incase there is limited pluggin space grin

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by aadetoyin(f): 11:33am On Apr 04, 2013
chinnyonwu: Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.

Una fit kill person for NL.
@Op, seriously this idea of yours aint right. U should take ur laptop or notebook to an interview only if u are asked to bring it incase u have to give a presentation.

I know some organizations that will gladly walk you out because u will seem unserious.

A cousin of mine who's father filed for him once went to the American embassy for an interview with his laptop because the pictures he was supposed to submit was in softcopy form. Believe the laptop was not allowed into the embassy and so when he told his interviewer that his pictures are on his laptop, he seemsed sooooo stupid and unserious thereby loosing that opportunity.

But if u donnt need d job u can take ur gadgets to an interview so that u can be able to update ur fb status to "interview tinz" or even to tweet and blog. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by slimyem: 11:35am On Apr 04, 2013
Except your interview requires some form of graphical presentation,its foolish ,unserious,and unnecessary.
What are you bringing all for.show-off?Isn't humility supposed to be one of the qualities a job applicant should portray?
Oversabi na hin dey worry some people and na hin go killi them especially that @gparker and the dumbos who liked his post.No wonder he never got the jobundecided
Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by tlops(m): 11:35am On Apr 04, 2013
gparker: Interesting topic,

I figure AdoOloro is being sarcastic. Well I'll share my personal experience with you, two weeks ago I had an interview with an oil & gas firm where I took my laptop with me (it's actually a notebook, the mini laptop). I took it along because it has my resume on it as well as a list of questions I've prepared for every interviewer I'll be meeting with. In addition to that I just feel it's tidier to go with soft copies rather than hard copies of such documents.

Well guess what? The feedback I later received from the company as well as the consulting firm responsible for the recruitment was disheartening,hilarious and annoying all at the same time. They felt bringing a laptop to the interview was unnecessary and it was also a minus for me. The recruitment firm pretty much berated me for doing so and asked why I carry a laptop to interviews (this particular interview was my 2nd with the firm and one of it's clients). I was even adviced to carry hardcopies of my resume and a diary to make notes during the interview.

Me, I just thought to myself these people are not serious oooo. In this age and time of information technology, if you can't see or understand why I brought the laptop or the necessity of having your documents together in one place and on soft copy which makes life easier then you shouldn't be in this line of business. I also felt they weren't a forward looking and up to par organization.

Is that going to stop me from taking my laptop to interviews HELL NO, because as far as I am concerned

1. The interview is a two way business conversation and if the laptop is a tool that will help or enable me conduct my own interview who are you to tell me otherwise. Moreover if people are comfortable carrying hard copies of documents everywhere they go I am not.

2. The only thing I would do differently next time regarding the laptop is that, I would inform the interviewer from the start that I plan to use my laptop during the course of the interview because it has my resume and list of questions on it. I won't even say it, as if I am asking for permission to use it. I will say it assertively like hey it's the IT age get with the programme cool.

3. I realized some time ago that I have some measure of control over the interview as an applicant so I no longer let people bullshit me in anyway ooo. Gone are the days when an interviewer will have the upper hand at my interviews I am so changing the game to make sure I walk away with a better deal than I've gotten in the past.

As you are assessing me to verify my suitability I am also assessing you to see if you are the sort of organization I want to align myself with. I am sick and tired of feeling cheated and being short changed by some of these naija employers.

Well I have since decided to severe my ties with that recruitement firm because not only was I disappointed I wasn't even given a chance to explain why I carry the laptop with me to interviews. I could have done that in writing via email but I felt this people would think I'm either being combative or making excuses so I didn't bother and having met with two of their clients so far I think I've had enough because the experience in both cases wasn't nice at all and I'll be damned if I put myself through that ever again with any interviewer.

In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be change the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

If I make any sense at all then like this post. LOL grin

y

it is easier to take a few sheets of papers (cv & co) than to take a 2-4 kg laptop.

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by slimyem: 11:50am On Apr 04, 2013
These sarcarstic posts rock btw.I totally love them!!
AdoOloro: You can take your Laptop, or even your desktop together with your Dstv decoder. They enhance your chances of being selected!

Another good choice is your Power Bike. Picture below:
AdoOloro: Like I advised, go to a job interview with something that will really help you at the interview. Something like a private jet to ease the difficulty of transportation and to avoid lateness.
Artistree: Normally, interviews are conducted by 3 or more persons so I'll suggest you go with a projector instead 4 a wider view of your CV by d panel as d a laptop would be 2small.
chinnyonwu: Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.
Totally!!cheesycheesy

8 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by oluking: 11:53am On Apr 04, 2013

I figure AdoOloro is being sarcastic. Well I'll share my personal experience with you, two weeks ago I had an interview with an oil & gas firm where I took my laptop with me (it's actually a notebook, the mini laptop). I took it along because it has my resume on it as well as a list of questions I've prepared for every interviewer I'll be meeting with. In addition to that I just feel it's tidier to go with soft copies rather than hard copies of such documents.

Well guess what? The feedback I later received from the company as well as the consulting firm responsible for the recruitment was disheartening,hilarious and annoying all at the same time. They felt bringing a laptop to the interview was unnecessary and it was also a minus for me. The recruitment firm pretty much berated me for doing so and asked why I carry a laptop to interviews (this particular interview was my 2nd with the firm and one of it's clients). I was even adviced to carry hardcopies of my resume and a diary to make notes during the interview.

Me, I just thought to myself these people are not serious oooo. In this age and time of information technology, if you can't see or understand why I brought the laptop or the necessity of having your documents together in one place and on soft copy which makes life easier then you shouldn't be in this line of business. I also felt they weren't a forward looking and up to par organization.

Is that going to stop me from taking my laptop to interviews HELL NO, because as far as I am concerned

1. The interview is a two way business conversation and if the laptop is a tool that will help or enable me conduct my own interview who are you to tell me otherwise. Moreover if people are comfortable carrying hard copies of documents everywhere they go I am not.

2. The only thing I would do differently next time regarding the laptop is that, I would inform the interviewer from the start that I plan to use my laptop during the course of the interview because it has my resume and list of questions on it. I won't even say it, as if I am asking for permission to use it. I will say it assertively like hey it's the IT age get with the programme cool.

3. I realized some time ago that I have some measure of control over the interview as an applicant so I no longer let people bullshit me in anyway ooo. Gone are the days when an interviewer will have the upper hand at my interviews I am so changing the game to make sure I walk away with a better deal than I've gotten in the past.

As you are assessing me to verify my suitability I am also assessing you to see if you are the sort of organization I want to align myself with. I am sick and tired of feeling cheated and being short changed by some of these naija employers.

Well I have since decided to severe my ties with that recruitement firm because not only was I disappointed I wasn't even given a chance to explain why I carry the laptop with me to interviews. I could have done that in writing via email but I felt this people would think I'm either being combative or making excuses so I didn't bother and having met with two of their clients so far I think I've had enough because the experience in both cases wasn't nice at all and I'll be damned if I put myself through that ever again with any interviewer.

In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be change the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

intresting!but it will lead you nowhere.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sirhot(m): 12:01pm On Apr 04, 2013
Naija boys too dey form computer guru... Ok lets say you attend an interview with five people on the panel and they want to see your cv, how do you present your cv on your laptop to five people at the same time? Think!

Go with hard copies, keep your iPad, notebook, phone book, iPod and iPhone at home, it's not necessary. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sunnyt1(m): 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
hammedkola: I used to wonder how one must prepare for a job interview, and this thought came to me that with the level of civilization, is it good or bad to take iPad or galaxy tab to an interview that worth it?

Bt unfortunately, ur opinion doesnt change logic, its funny that it even crossed ur mind, and it didnt crossed ur mind wat d interviewer or the dudes u might come in contact wit wud feel. Are u tryin to show them that u are on the same page as them or u are some rich guy.
Follow logic man. Could u do a 4+4 of wat dat guy who went for an interview wit his laptop experienced?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
@ tlops

Actually for me it's easier to carry the 2-4kg laptop, than the sheets of paper because often I tend to lose them while in transit either on the back seat of a taxi while trying to re arrange my bag or something.And I am prone to squeezing sheets/pieces of paper and throwing them away because it's just messy for me to have sheets/pieces of paper lying around in my bag

@ slimyem

No be oversabi dey worry me ooo, I carry it because honestly it's just tidier I wasn't trying to show off at all and I once worked with a CEO of two companies and he was the one who actually taught me this thing of carrying soft copies. You always show your immaturity on threads with your insults you really need to grow up and show some class girl

@ naijacutee

Helloo I didn't have a modem or access to the internet during the interview it was just the laptop and the MS word documents on it I needed. The idea wasn't to start researching the company while there I had already done my home work also I wasn't reading any notes from it. The laptop came on only when the interviewer was done asking me questions and then asked if I had any questions of my own.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 12:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
All the responses here are funny. In recent times, I just attended a set of interviews where I had met like 8different senior people and went on to meet the Chairman of the group. At every point of the way, I had my iPad with me and while waiting to be called up into the chat sessions, I took my time to look up mails from my office and actually respond on an ongoing basis. For me, my prospective employer should know he is not otherwise doing me a favor.I hold another job where I keep adding value and I expect them to take that into consideration in negotiating with me. Taking a tab or pad to meetings is not a big deal, it's a basic work tool and should not be an issue. Of course it will be rude to open the pad or tab once the interview is in session.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sixteen08(m): 12:10pm On Apr 04, 2013
In as much as u no fit carry ur laptop or desktop to d test centre to write a CBT why d unnecessary gadget 4 interview btw I suspect maybe ur fresh in d labour market or u don't nid a job at all bt tryin 2 fulfill all righteousness.
tellwisdom: You wan go browse for there?

Maybe dem tell am say hotspot dey d office grincheesycheesygrin
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by oluwasola01(m): 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
not bad at all cos samsung notebook has replaced your paper notebook and pen :d
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ladeski: 12:16pm On Apr 04, 2013

I am going to be brutally honest and a tad bit harsh. Note I bolded key words in your post. here goes..........

1. The recruiter or firm DOES not care what you think. They are ONLY interested in whether you are the right fit for the role or not. Besides they have countless other applicants waiting to be interviewed.

2. The recruiter is in a position of strength, you are in a position of weakness. If you were the strong one you wouldn't have applied for the job

3. Take a cue from my bolded parts. You keep getting similar feedback from various companies yet you feel you are the right one and they are wrong

4. If you don't change your thinking you may stay 'unemployable and unemployed' for a while, get prepared for it. I suggest you work for your self

5. Bringing a laptop/notebook etc is extremely unprofessional. It shows you are unable to retain simple information in your head. I mean how hard can it be to remember the chronological events of your career (if you actually did work there)??

6. The only thing you should take is a list of questions as you mentioned above and a pen to note down any pertinent points during the session.

7. They are serious. You are the unserious one. Yes you took time to be there for an interview but remember they are at work already (a place you desire to be) and can be late sometimes due to previous engagements.

8. GROW up

7 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 12:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
@ hardbody

At last someone who understands and shows he is proactive and forward thinking.

Clearly a lot of my naija people are stuck in their old and traditional ways of doing things, refusing to change with the times and current trends in our world. If it is to imbibe negative aspects of the western culture that do more harm than good most people will do just that, but to embrace positive aspects na wahala.

By the way the laptop thing is not something I saw in the west or copied from them ooo, A naija CEO actually gave me that idea of carrying soft copies of documents rather than hard copies when I worked with him.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ama28(f): 12:17pm On Apr 04, 2013
Wrong choice of item to take to your interview unless they ask for it or your going to be using it there.

Imagine walking into such room and meeting an old lady who hates teachnology and is anti tech! Na failure be that naa!

Or you walk in and one of the guys in the group has saved for what you have and other priorities won't let him afford it. Na show you come naa!
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sixteen08(m): 12:17pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ogbodavies: U forget 2 include a socket,so as to plug d ipad incase there is limited pluggin space grin
And extension cable so u and oda interviewees go fit charge una bb

3 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 12:18pm On Apr 04, 2013
hardbody: All the responses here are funny. In recent times, I just attended a set of interviews where I had met like 8different senior people and went on to meet the Chairman of the group. At every point of the way, I had my iPad with me and while waiting to be called up into the chat sessions, I took my time to look up mails from my office and actually respond on an ongoing basis. For me, my prospective employer should know he is not otherwise doing me a favor.I hold another job where I keep adding value and I expect them to take that into consideration in negotiating with me. Taking a tab or pad to meetings is not a big deal, it's a basic work tool and should not be an issue. Of course it will be rude to open the pad or tab once the interview is in session.
grin
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dammytosh: 12:25pm On Apr 04, 2013
No big deal.

I do send a copy of my resume ahead of time. During the interview, i address you with my Ipad infront of me. if you can not stand that, we definitely have no business working together.

Simple as abc.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ayodot(m): 12:28pm On Apr 04, 2013

u wan use laff kill me oh. lmao
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by AKO1(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
Your tablet isn't going to impress anybody in the interview. Sure, use it to read up about the company or to revise any answers to the set questions you're likely to be asked.

If I was an interviewer, I'd expect you to be bright enough to hold an intelligent conversation without referring to any notes.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
Interestingly, this very minute, my Governance and Establishment Committee is having a final interview with a prospective CFO, we just finished a Committee meeting, but the guy is placing his iPad and 2 telephones on the desk, taking and answering questions from the 3 directors. So what are we talking about?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dulphines: 12:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
YOUNGKAHUNA:

Wetin Bring This Long Epistle?

Them force you to read am?

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Morgan1092(m): 12:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
And wht do u want 2 use it 4 b4 ur interviewers? Maybe u want 2 show dem u can afford a Tablet. I suggest u cari a desktop n a photocopying machine. Mtchewwww

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by stupor(m): 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2013
Yeah it shows you're high-tech and 21st century compliant,but goòd as it is,also bad if its of no use to yòu !
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sixteen08(m): 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
hardbody: Interestingly, this very minute, my Governance and Establishment Committee is having a final interview with a prospective CFO, we just finished a Committee meeting, but the guy is placing his iPad and 2 telephones on the desk, taking and answering questions from the 3 directors. So what are we talking about?
Bros why na sad 3directors and one CFO candidate shey dat one com b child's play
We are talking of an entry level interview patapata mid level experienced hire na abi d op talk say na senior level interview he go ni?? Let's stop all dis I better pass my neighbour attitude jare.....if d guy is in need of a job he wouldn't tink twice about d issue d fact dat he is contesting d mata sef shws dat he his flambouyant and arrogant.d fact remains dat if u want a job, u don't act like ur @ par with or better than ur prospective employer.btw u get job and u still didn't flaunt or shw ur gadget in an interview why?? Also why didn't d "naija CEO" provide d job 4 d guy even if he did why is he tryna get anoda job....make d op go think deep wether he wants to be right or him want a gud job

Evrytin has a place and there is a place for everything

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 12:58pm On Apr 04, 2013
hardbody: All the responses here are funny. In recent times, I just attended a set of interviews where I had met like 8different senior people and went on to meet the Chairman of the group. At every point of the way, I had my iPad with me and while waiting to be called up into the chat sessions, I took my time to look up mails from my office and actually respond on an ongoing basis. For me, my prospective employer should know he is not otherwise doing me a favor.I hold another job where I keep adding value and I expect them to take that into consideration in negotiating with me Taking a tab or pad to meetings is not a big deal, it's a basic work tool and should not be an issue. Of course it will be rude to open the pad or tab once the interview is in session.

Except your prospective boss knew you were replying work emails, your post makes no darn sense.

NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

ladeski:

I am going to be brutally honest and a tad bit harsh. Note I bolded key words in your post. here goes..........

1. The recruiter or firm DOES not care what you think. They are ONLY interested in whether you are the right fit for the role or not. Besides they have countless other applicants waiting to be interviewed.

2. The recruiter is in a position of strength, you are in a position of weakness. If you were the strong one you wouldn't have applied for the job

3. Take a cue from my bolded parts. You keep getting similar feedback from various companies yet you feel you are the right one and they are wrong

4. If you don't change your thinking you may stay 'unemployable and unemployed' for a while, get prepared for it. I suggest you work for your self

5. Bringing a laptop/notebook etc is extremely unprofessional. It shows you are unable to retain simple information in your head. I mean how hard can it be to remember the chronological events of your career (if you actually did work there)??

6. The only thing you should take is a list of questions as you mentioned above and a pen to note down any pertinent points during the session.

7. They are serious. You are the unserious one. Yes you took time to be there for an interview but remember they are at work already (a place you desire to be) and can be late sometimes due to previous engagements.

8. GROW up

Word!!!!!!

I can't believe he actually thought he had a point to make with that epistle.

Applicants are dime a dozen, the jobs aren't. Not saying became a slave to prospective employers but a little humility and COMMON SENSE goes a long way.

People forget that interviews are most about assessing the applicant in person. They have already seen your resume now they want to see the person behind that resume and like any other interpersonal interaction first impressions matter. As soon as he entered that interview room with his laptop. . .there is no doubt in my mind the first thing that flashed in their minds was ARROGANCE and that was the end of it right there.

Is it any wonder he is still pounding the pavement looking for work?

I tell ya, someone summed it succinctly with the words OVER SABI!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Else Received This Text????? / 9mobile Nigeria Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / African Development Bank (AFDB) Job Recruitment 2017 (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.