Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? (13557 Views)

Notable Signs That You Had A Good Or Bad Interview- What To Do Afterwards / How To Reply To Interview Invitation / Is It A Must You Wear A Suit To Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 12:59pm On Apr 04, 2013
@ Ladeski

I think I know who you are and I get the feeliing you are part of the recruitment firm I talked about. Well I always leave each interview with a positive and negative feedback did I hear what the interviewers said yes, do I agree with all of it hell no because I know who I am and I know my self worth as a person.

Who are you to tell me I will remain unemployable with this attitude of mine? Have you become the Lord God Almighty who holds the entire world in his hands? Well guess what this attitude of mine as crass as you may think it is, will take me far because this ATTITUDE is all about changing the things I can, accepting the things I cannot change and asking for wisdom to know the difference. THIS ATTITUDE also says ENOUGH is ENOUGH NO MORE BS FROM EMPLOYERS OF LABOUR.

I have been scheduled for several interviews this year alone, four of which I declined for personal reasons and I have received positive feedback I am the one treading carefully because I don't want to get my fingers burnt again. And this laptop thing wasn't an issue at all with another interviewer and it was actually applauded. They didn't think it was unprofessional like you put it. I AM NOT IN A POSITION OF WEAKNESS AS YOU PUT IT AS A MATTER OF FACT I AM IN A POSITION OF POWER TO TRANSFORM MY LIFE AND MAKE THE CHANGES I WANT CAREER WISE AND IN OTHER AREAS OF MY LIFE AND NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK OR BUTCHED INTERVIEWS IS GOING TO STOP ME FROM MAKING THAT CHANGE.

If you are going to be late in attending to an applicant then why don't you do the courteous thing by apologizing for your lateness rather than carrying on like it's not a big deal? My time is valuable to me and it is mine, if anyone is going to waste my time I would like for that person to be me. I told you and your team before that I want to be treated with the same courtesy I extend to others is that too big a task to ask? Ohh I forgot you are in a position of power and I am in a position of weakness right?

If a recruiter does not care about what I think but only cares about filling a role and getting paid for his services then I say goodbye oooo, I don't need that sort of recruiter. Most of you HR Professionals have no clue whatsoever on how to be decent professionals and reliable ones. It's all about the naira and woe be tide the candidate right?

WELL LIKE I SAID I AM ALSO ASSESSING ORGANIZATIONS TO SEE IF THEY ARE THE TYPE OF ORGANIZATION I WANT TO ALIGN MYSELF WITH, APPLICANTS ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES WITH FLAWS. RECRUITERS ARE ALSO KNOWN FOR EXAGGERATING AND OVER STATING THEIR POSITIONS, HOLDING THEMSELVES OUT AS BEING ETHICAL AND PROFESSIONAL WHEN IN TRUTH THEY ARE NOT. Not refering to your firm in particular just saying in general.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by kiiababs: 1:10pm On Apr 04, 2013
timpaker: Ipad and Galaxy tab to an interview?

are u going there to update your facebook status? undecided undecided

lmao
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Richy4(m): 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
I do understand that that Technology has taken over the world but certain things should be left at home while going for a job interview?

For instance if you OP were among the panel conducting an Interview and some one came with a brand new Samsung Galaxy and in the process of the interview you ask him/her "why should we hire you? or what do you think is a good customer service" instead of answering you,he/she starts flexing his fingers on the galaxy. answering/reading from there. how will you feel?
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 1:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
Forgot to add - To Mr. I want my prospective employer to know I have a job already that's why I took my ipad to reply my emails. Let's say the prospective employer does know you currently have a job, do you think it works in your favor? Think again my friend. . .

1) If they want someone who can start immediately, then you are out of the running because prospective employer will put into the consideration the days/weeks notice you'll have to give your current employer.

2) If you tell them you can start immediately, they will be hesitant about hiring someone who can just jump ship without notice.

Either way, you've screwed yourself!!!!!

Lesson - KEEP YOUR IPAD/LAPTOP/PC/NOTEBOOK AT HOME!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
Richy

I hear you, but the laptop in my case wasn't used to answer any question at all. It came on only at the point where I was asked that common interview question Do you have any questions?

The whole idea wasn't to go there and begin to answer my questions from the laptop oooo. And for folks saying the interview is all about the applicant being assessed and the applicant has little or no power I strongly disagree.

Since I've taken the bold step to assess interviewers via some tough questions of my own I have walked away with an inner peace and clarity on what to do next. Most of them begin to stammer when I ask questions like How does the company encourage the learning and development of it's staff? They stammer because clearly they have no structure or plan on ground for that.

Anyone who doesn't answer my questions satisfactorily gets deleted from my memory bank as I walk away,whether they are 20 candidates to pool from me I refuse to be desperate and to waver in my quest for a fulfilling job and a decent employer who will meet me halfway and hold up their own end of the bargain.

I have worked in places where I had to call my oga at the top at the end of each month to remind him to pay me, the place was not structured at all there was no fixed date for paying salaries. I always had to make that call and he had the nerve to tell me to always do that and I thought to myself nobody reminds me to show up for work 5 days of the week, why do I have to remind you to pay me?

Another organization, went to hire new staff myself included when it already had challenges with paying salaries of staff that were on ground. It knew damn well the difficulties it had financially at the time but then hired new staff. Our salaries were never paid as and when due, and when it was paid it was never the full sum. Meanwhile you would have incurred debts from family and friends while waiting to be paid.

DUE DILLIGENCE IN MY INTERVIEWS IS CRUCIAL, I'VE GOT THAT POWER AND I WILL USE IT FOR MY OWN GOOD I WON'T BE FAZED BY THE FACT THAT THERE ARE 100 APPLICANTS OUT THERE VYING FOR THE SAME JOB OR THAT AN EMPLOYER HAS GOT ALL THE POWER AND I HAVE NONE.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by arantess: 1:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
ladeski:
I am going to be brutally honest and a tad bit harsh. Note I bolded key words in your post. here goes..........

1. The recruiter or firm DOES not care what you think. They are ONLY interested in whether you are the right fit for the role or not. Besides they have countless other applicants waiting to be interviewed.

2. The recruiter is in a position of strength, you are in a position of weakness. If you were the strong one you wouldn't have applied for the job

3. Take a cue from my bolded parts. You keep getting similar feedback from various companies yet you feel you are the right one and they are wrong

4. If you don't change your thinking you may stay 'unemployable and unemployed' for a while, get prepared for it. I suggest you work for your self

5. Bringing a laptop/notebook etc is extremely unprofessional. It shows you are unable to retain simple information in your head. I mean how hard can it be to remember the chronological events of your career (if you actually did work there)??

6. The only thing you should take is a list of questions as you mentioned above and a pen to note down any pertinent points during the session.

7. They are serious. You are the unserious one. Yes you took time to be there for an interview but remember they are at work already (a place you desire to be) and can be late sometimes due to previous engagements.

8. GROW up

God bless you
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by eklassical(m): 1:56pm On Apr 04, 2013
chinnyonwu: Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.
Ɣõΰ forgot fuel for d gen! Buhahahahahaahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dabossman(m): 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
gparker: Richy

I hear you, but the laptop in my case wasn't used to answer any question at all. It came on only at the point where I was asked that common interview question Do you have any questions?

The whole idea wasn't to go there and begin to answer my questions from the laptop oooo. And for folks saying the interview is all about the applicant being assessed and the applicant has little or no power I strongly disagree.

Since I've taken the bold step to assess interviewers via some tough questions of my own I have walked away with an inner peace and clarity on what to do next. Most of them begin to stammer when I ask questions like How does the company encourage the learning and development of it's staff? They stammer because clearly they have no structure or plan on ground for that.

Anyone who doesn't answer my questions satisfactorily gets deleted from my memory bank as I walk away,whether they are 20 candidates to pool from me I refuse to be desperate and to waver in my quest for a fulfilling job and a decent employer who will meet me halfway and hold up their own end of the bargain.

Seriously at the bolded? You have to power up a laptop to ask me questions you want to know about my organization?

Me:Please Mr. Gparker do you have any questions?
You: Yes! Just a sec, I need to power up my laptop.
Me: *drumming my fingers on the table and thinking "this boy must want to ask me 21 questions and then some. how many more applicants do we have outside?"

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dabossman(m): 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
@gparker: Just to add. It's okay to know your self-worth and exude confidence at an interview. Heck, you can even turn back at the gate if you feel the environment of the organization doesn't appeal to you, or tell the interviewers thank you, but no questions and leave knowing you'll never return if you get the feeling they don't meet up with your own standards.

I've done that before, and I don't think carrying a laptop along would have helped me in making that decision.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Tokotaya: 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Any gadget, including phones, will be a distraction. You need to concentrate on your person internally and externally, cos that is all they want to meet and assess. Your laptop or tablet can be taken into the room, but must be set neatly by your side, if in a laptop bag, the same way you will keep your briefcase. If any gadget cant be kept out of sight, dont take it in.

The exception is if your job depends on them or you need to make a presentation.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by avalontony(m): 2:27pm On Apr 04, 2013
you can also take african science and technology (juju, jazz, otumopko) to the interview.

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 2:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
Dabossman

You had me LOL at your posts and gparker is actually a lady wink. I hear you too bro but common for goodness sake what difference does it make that you were asked the questions from a mini laptop or from a sheet of paper?

I can't believe the controversy this thread has generated but I'm glad this issue came up because now I know what the general public thinks but I have never been afraid to stick out or of being different and regarded as the odd one If I know deep within me that what I am going on about is not fundamentally wrong, out of line or that it goes against the principles of natural justice, fairness and sensibility cheesy

Truth be told I won't crucify a person if they showed up at an interview with a laptop like I did it provided they don't start answering my questions from it (I didn't do that). I was apllauded once for the use of it, so I know there are like minds out there and someone out there will once again appreciate my style of doing things because like me they have no qualms with sticking out.

I actually do have 21 questions prepared grin but I always narrow it down to 5 or 6 crucial ones. And when conducting interviews you as a recruiter should damn well be prepared to take your time with the process, abi you want to ask your questions and then rush off an applicant because you have others waiting outside? Haba show some fairness, you can cut short the interview when you feel an applicant is rambling on and on without making sense, but please and please let them have their say too.

The laptop was on hibernate mode so powering on didn't take up to 5 minutes hell not even 3 minutes. But you will agree with me that this girl sha has a damn good head on her shoulders even if you don't like the laptop thing cool.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by gparker: 2:54pm On Apr 04, 2013
Peace out folks, I'll catch you all on another informative thread. This thread has taken up my time like say na me create am, this is why I don't like signing into my account to particiapte on threads because before you know so much time passes by and you've not really achieved much with your time and day, except to banter words back and forth with people from the immature to mature, downright stupid to sensible, rude and polite and so the list goes on.

Well it felt good to articulate my thoughts in writing.But NL you will not be a time waster in my life ooo.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Except your prospective boss knew you were replying work emails, your post makes no darn sense.

NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

Word!!!!!!

I can't believe he actually thought he had a point to make with that epistle.

Applicants are dime a dozen, the jobs aren't. Not saying became a slave to prospective employers but a little humility and COMMON SENSE goes a long way.

People forget that interviews are most about assessing the applicant in person. They have already seen your resume now they want to see the person behind that resume and like any other interpersonal interaction first impressions matter. As soon as he entered that interview room with his laptop. . .there is no doubt in my mind the first thing that flashed in their minds was ARROGANCE and that was the end of it right there.

Is it any wonder he is still pounding the pavement looking for work?

I tell ya, someone summed it succinctly with the words OVER SABI!!!

Ok Ma. My post makes no darn sense. I hate to join issues with people with over bloated sense of knowledge, ego or importance. Since you know it all and we must all cower to your wisdom, so be it. For avoidance of doubt, i got a call from the HR of that company a short while ago to come for my offer letter, i will go for that letter but may very likely turn down the offer. I have since dug up more information and there is a whole lot of incompatibility between their work ethics and mine.Point is, jobs may be in short supply, but if you know your onion and with God on your side, employers of labour should not play god on your rights to employment. Recall, i had my pad and was working on it before i entered for all the sessions. And recall also that for you, i have made no darned sense. Good day.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Forgot to add - To Mr. I want my prospective employer to know I have a job already that's why I took my ipad to reply my emails. Let's say the prospective employer does know you currently have a job, do you think it works in your favor? Think again my friend. . .

1) If they want someone who can start immediately, then you are out of the running because prospective employer will put into the consideration the days/weeks notice you'll have to give your current employer.

2) If you tell them you can start immediately, they will be hesitant about hiring someone who can just jump ship without notice.

Either way, you've screwed yourself!!!!!

Lesson - KEEP YOUR IPAD/LAPTOP/PC/NOTEBOOK AT HOME!!!!!

Funny i even just saw this. Please look up, I got the job. Your brain must be very tiny. You must be a fresher. I have been holding down jobs for ages and my CV says that much, if you are not willing to wait out my next motice period and you want me badly, we could either agree that i pay in lieu of notice and join you or you make that payment for me to come over. THis later option was even given to me but i made a point that at my level, it is only proper that i give the rquisite one month notice. They appreciated my professionalism. It meant to them that if i had to move on, i will take those factors into consideration. Please madam, i am not one high school kid, i work at senior management level, i hope you take that consideration in your next response
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by victorcurtis(m): 3:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
;D grin grin grin grin grin[color=#990000] grin grin grin[/color]
chinnyonwu: Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 3:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
hardbody:

Ok Ma. My post makes no darn sense. I hate to join issues with people with over bloated sense of knowledge, ego or importance. Since you know it all and we must all cower to your wisdom, so be it. For avoidance of doubt, i got a call from the HR of that company a short while ago to come for my offer letter, i will go for that letter but may very likely turn down the offer. I have since dug up more information and there is a whole lot of incompatibility between their work ethics and mine.Point is, jobs may be in short supply, but if you know your onion and with God on your side, employers of labour should not play god on your rights to employment. Recall, i had my pad and was working on it before i entered for all the sessions. And recall also that for you, i have made no darned sense. Good day.

Congratulations on your job but you answering your email on your IPAD to show you have another job did not get it for you. So using that as an excuse to have your ipad with you. . .makes no sense!!!!!

THAT IS MY POINT!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dabossman(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2013
gparker: Dabossman

You had me LOL at your posts and gparker is actually a lady wink. I hear you too bro but common for goodness sake what difference does it make that you were asked the questions from a mini laptop or from a sheet of paper?

I can't believe the controversy this thread has generated but I'm glad this issue came up because now I know what the general public thinks but I have never been afraid to stick out or of being different and regarded as the odd one If I know deep within me that what I am going on about is not fundamentally wrong, out of line or that it goes against the principles of natural justice, fairness and sensibility cheesy

Truth be told I won't crucify a person if they showed up at an interview with a laptop like I did it provided they don't start answering my questions from it (I didn't do that). I was apllauded once for the use of it, so I know there are like minds out there and someone out there will once again appreciate my style of doing things because like me they have no qualms with sticking out.

I actually do have 21 questions prepared grin but I always narrow it down to 5 or 6 crucial ones. And when conducting interviews you as a recruiter should damn well be prepared to take your time with the process, abi you want to ask your questions and then rush off an applicant because you have others waiting outside? Haba show some fairness, you can cut short the interview when you feel an applicant is rambling on and on without making sense, but please and please let them have their say too.

The laptop was on hibernate mode so powering on didn't take up to 5 minutes hell not even 3 minutes. But you will agree with me that this girl sha has a damn good head on her shoulders even if you don't like the laptop thing cool.

Okay o! Like Woody Allen's movie, whatever works I guess.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ladeski: 3:59pm On Apr 04, 2013
arantess: God bless you
God bless you too bro. appreciate grin
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 4:02pm On Apr 04, 2013
Even the oyinbo sef people are trying to copy know better undecided

Your Gadgets May Be Cool, But NOT at a Job Interview

Here’s an interesting new problem I never anticipated – job candidates showing up for their interviews armed with iPads, tablet computers, and laptops.

Granted, these toys are becoming more prevalent in a host of business settings, such as meetings and presentations, but at a job interview? Apparently it is becoming a prevalent problem, so much so that U.S. News had a recent article on the subject.

Granted, laptops, iPads, and smart phones have become ubiquitous. Everywhere you look there are people walking down the street, with their eyes glued to their cell phones. Or they are sitting in Starbuck transfixed by their tablet or laptop computer. And that’s the real problem; the technology detracts from the interview and, more importantly, from the interviewer.

According to etiquette experts Diane Gottsman, even using a small device for note taking gets in the way of the interview:

"I have spoken with many hiring managers and recruiters that say they're not positively affected by an applicant that comes in and opens their laptop to start taking notes," she says.

The exception is if you have a creative job and your tablet or iPad could be useful for displaying samples of your work. Or if you need to use a tablet or laptop for some sort of interactive discussion with the hiring manager, then it might make sense to use your computer or iPad. But remember to bring paper backups.

There is nothing worse than having all these great ideas or examples ready only to have the presentation technology fail when it comes time to present them. And there may be multiple people in the meeting, so trying to crowd around a small screen would be very awkward.

However, technology always gets in the way of making a personal connection with the interviewer. How many of you have experienced the frustration of trying to hold a conversation with a spouse or friend who is immersed in their smart phone?

If you are looking at your phone (or computer, or iPad), you can’t make eye contact, and you aren't giving your undivided attention to the interviewer. Most hiring managers will tell you that they find it distracting and disturbing when a candidate breaks out their iPad or laptop to take notes. They should be paying attention to the interview, no their computer.

So if you want to avoid technology trauma in an interview, remember the basics:

Be prepared. Do your homework and prepare with as much information about the hiring company and the position you are looking to fill. Don’t be afraid to ask beforehand what the interviewer would like to see during the initial interview so you are adequately prepared.

Rehearse beforehand. Think about the most common interview questions and how you would answer them. Be sure to preplan to arrive on time. If for whatever reason you do decide to make a presentation or use your laptop, be sure to arrive sufficiently early to set up and make sure everything is running properly.

Follow their lead. Remember, the interview is the hiring company’s agenda, not yours, so even if you have a killer presentation, wait until it’s clear that it’s time to pull out the PowerPoint. You will be given the right opportunity to produce your laptop only if the opportunity is right.

Paper is still useful. Be sure to bring paper copies of everything you may want to leave behind, starting with your resume. Hard copies are always useful to reference and share with other managers, and if you don’t need to worry if your laptop fails.

Technology certainly has its place, but usually not in a job interview. Bringing the new toys to show off your stuff is not the best way to make a first impression, and too often the tools get in the way of the message. It’s always better to show up for a job interview prepared, but without the additional bells and whistles that get in the way of presenting the genuine you! After all, they are hiring you, not your PowerPoint or your toys.

SOURCE

- - - -
Those gadgets are not for show off, put them to proper use - DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ladeski: 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Except your prospective boss knew you were replying work emails, your post makes no darn sense.

NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

Word!!!!!!

I can't believe he actually thought he had a point to make with that epistle.

Applicants are dime a dozen, the jobs aren't. Not saying became a slave to prospective employers but a little humility and COMMON SENSE goes a long way.

People forget that interviews are most about assessing the applicant in person. They have already seen your resume now they want to see the person behind that resume and like any other interpersonal interaction first impressions matter. As soon as he entered that interview room with his laptop. . .there is no doubt in my mind the first thing that flashed in their minds was ARROGANCE and that was the end of it right there.

Is it any wonder he is still pounding the pavement looking for work?

I tell ya, someone summed it succinctly with the words OVER SABI!!!
ose dear
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by salt1: 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2013
I came late to this feast, but hope my contribution will help.
I had an expat train us on interview techniques. He advised us to carry laptops for senior management interviews. I got shortlisted and wanted to use the opportunity to show off this new knowledge. After the psychometric test came the panel interview and I entered with my laptop.
As the interviewers asked a question, I opened my system and their mouths went agape. Fortunately, I had already connected with them, creating the rapport otherwise the interview would have ended there. One lady politely told me that at my level, they expected I should talk confidently on any issue without using my laptop.

Thank God I still got the job. I wish I can see that Brit who advised us to carry laptops to tell him that next time, he should study the context before giving suggestions.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ladeski: 4:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
gparker: @ Ladeski

I think I know who you are and I get the feeliing you are part of the recruitment firm I talked about. Well I always leave each interview with a positive and negative feedback [/b]did I hear what the interviewers said yes, do I agree with all of it hell no because I know who I am and I know my self worth as a person.

Who are you to tell me I will remain unemployable with this attitude of mine? [b]Have you become the Lord God Almighty who holds the entire world in his hands?
Well guess what this attitude of mine as crass as you may think it is, will take me far because this ATTITUDE is all about changing the things I can, accepting the things I cannot change and asking for wisdom to know the difference. THIS ATTITUDE also says ENOUGH is ENOUGH NO MORE BS FROM EMPLOYERS OF LABOUR.

I have been scheduled for several interviews this year alone, four of which I declined for personal reasons and I have received positive feedback I am the one treading carefully because I don't want to get my fingers burnt again. And this laptop thing wasn't an issue at all with another interviewer and it was actually applauded. They didn't think it was unprofessional like you put it. I AM NOT IN A POSITION OF WEAKNESS AS YOU PUT IT AS A MATTER OF FACT I AM IN A POSITION OF POWER TO TRANSFORM MY LIFE AND MAKE THE CHANGES I WANT CAREER WISE AND IN OTHER AREAS OF MY LIFE AND NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK OR BUTCHED INTERVIEWS IS GOING TO STOP ME FROM MAKING THAT CHANGE.

If you are going to be late in attending to an applicant then why don't you do the courteous thing by apologizing for your lateness rather than carrying on like it's not a big deal? My time is valuable to me and it is mine, if anyone is going to waste my time I would like for that person to be me. I told you and your team before that I want to be treated with the same courtesy I extend to others is that too big a task to ask? Ohh I forgot you are in a position of power and I am in a position of weakness right?

If a recruiter does not care about what I think but only cares about filling a role and getting paid for his services then I say goodbye oooo, I don't need that sort of recruiter. Most of you HR Professionals have no clue whatsoever on how to be decent professionals and reliable ones. It's all about the naira and woe be tide the candidate right?

WELL LIKE I SAID I AM ALSO ASSESSING ORGANIZATIONS TO SEE IF THEY ARE THE TYPE OF ORGANIZATION I WANT TO ALIGN MYSELF WITH, APPLICANTS ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES WITH FLAWS. RECRUITERS ARE ALSO KNOWN FOR EXAGGERATING AND OVER STATING THEIR POSITIONS, HOLDING THEMSELVES OUT AS BEING ETHICAL AND PROFESSIONAL WHEN IN TRUTH THEY ARE NOT. Not refering to your firm in particular just saying in general.
Again I will attempt your long rant into bite sized bullet points. Here goes

1. You don't know who I am neither am I part of the recruitment team you talked about
2. Obviously the negatives overweighed any positive feedback else your post would have been about how they wowed about your tablet and even took your picture with it ! grin
3. No I am not the God almighty, neither did I even try to be in this instance
4. BS from employers as you call it. Here's a thought , why don't you start your own company and start dishing BS or not as the case may be. Why apply?
5. It is unprofessional and I repeat, IT IS UNPROFESSIONAL.
6. You are, I am and everyone is in a position of weakness when you apply for anything, be it a loan, a mortgage, a job or even a wife ! Why, because the other party has the power to say NO. I trust this simple analogy suffices. However should you get that job, loan, mortgage, wife etc you move into a position of strength.
7.You're probably the kinda guy that WONT wear a suit to an interview and complain that you were overlooked due to 'discrimination'
8. You never learn
9. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SHABZ: 4:27pm On Apr 04, 2013
@gparker,I say dis with all possible respect,ure a fool. A stubborn,forking biatch
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by sixteen08(m): 4:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
SHABZ: @gparker,I say dis with all possible respect,ure a fool. A stubborn,forking biatch

Yeeeepa KILODE!!!
Men dey vex oooo ....na e-para b dis ooo cheesy grin
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by hardbody: 4:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Congratulations on your job but you answering your email on your IPAD to show you have another job did not get it for you. So using that as an excuse to have your ipad with you. . .makes no sense!!!!!

THAT IS MY POINT!!!!!!!!

I hate it when people refuse to argue logically on point being discussed.

Let me state categorically that my views, which i stubbornly maintain remains:

1. My pad, tablet, phones are all work tools
2. If i am attending interviews or going anywhere else for that matter, i carry those tools.
3. To the extent i am at the lobby or reception area, i will take my calls and do whatever i need to do on the pad.
4. Once i go into the panel or one-on-one interview, i will neither pick my calls nor open the pad, it is discouteous.
5. It is the height of unseriousness to pick questions or information from the pad,tab or pc in the course of the interview session except you are specifically required to do so by the panel
6. If i were interviewing for a junior position and had those gadgets, i will still apply Nos 1- 5. To me it is standard.

And this is Nigeria. My uncle told me he was refused an interview he had already been invited for when they saw him reading a copy of the NY times he picked up at the lobby of his potential employers and this was in the united states.

You guys out there may have different standards.

I hope i have made my points clear.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by vladimiros: 4:42pm On Apr 04, 2013
Laptop is for smal boys
me i bring a whole fridge to cool down employers asking me question

Plus extra alomo

4 Likes

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 4:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
SHABZ: @gparker,I say dis with all possible respect,ure a fool. A stubborn,forking biatch

Absolutely uncalled for!!

For why naa?!! undecided

vladimiros: Laptop is for smal boys
me i bring a whole fridge to cool down employers asking me question

Plus extra alomo

Dead!

Rotflmao!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ladeski: 4:50pm On Apr 04, 2013
hardbody:

I hate it when people refuse to argue logically on point being discussed.

Let me state categorically that my views, which i stubbornly maintain remains:

1. My pad, tablet, phones are all work tools
2. If i am attending interviews or going anywhere else for that matter, i carry those tools.
3. To the extent i am at the lobby or reception area, i will take my calls and do whatever i need to do on the pad.
4. Once i go into the panel or one-on-one interview, i will neither pick my calls nor open the pad, it is discouteous.
5. It is the height of unseriousness to pick questions or information from the pad,tab or pc in the course of the interview session except you are specifically required to do so by the panel
6. If i were interviewing for a junior position and had those gadgets, i will still apply Nos 1- 5. To me it is standard.

And this is Nigeria. My uncle told me he was refused an interview he had already been invited for when they saw him reading a copy of the NY times he picked up at the lobby of his potential employers and this was in the united states.

You guys out there may have different standards.

I hope i have made my points clear.
1. rebuttal to point 1. work tools which should be used at work. YOU HAVE NOT BEEN EMPLOYED YET !!!!!!!
2. rebuttal to point 5. You are mumbled up confused and contradictory. In one line you say its discourteous to pick up calls or open your tab at an interview. now the million dollar question......why take it there in the first place?
3. rebuttal to point 6. yes its standard. standard nonsense
4. rebuttal to point 6. your uncle was refused the interview because the newspapers ARE NOT FOR STAFF OR FUTURE STAFF, they are for CUSTOMERS visiting the office, something for them to read whilst waiting.

Yes we have standards........we do hope your thinking changes

then again our collective breaths will not wait.....

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by SisiKill1: 5:05pm On Apr 04, 2013
^^^^ Gosh you are a better person than I am giving your time and energy like so kiss kiss

I read through the post and just shook my head. . .where does one start from?!!
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by LeJeun3: 5:18pm On Apr 04, 2013
I don't use a generator my mobile inverter which I connect to my car cigar lighter is pretty handy! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Else Received This Text????? / 9mobile Nigeria Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / African Development Bank (AFDB) Job Recruitment 2017 (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.