Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? (13555 Views)

Notable Signs That You Had A Good Or Bad Interview- What To Do Afterwards / How To Reply To Interview Invitation / Is It A Must You Wear A Suit To Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by ADEMOSU(m): 6:45am On Apr 06, 2013
A tablet or Laptop to an interview is unnecessary .this is not a presentation . I believe an iNterview is to measure ones ability other than academics .even question that may be ask has no restriction so what purpose will the gadget serves? To me it might be a distraction because where eye contact which in most time is needed the interviewee may stick to d tablet which is an error.
its better to ve a piece of paper with some jottings and ones printed CV.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Angyee(f): 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
salt 1:

You're right. My little show of vanity nearly cost me a good job. Fortunately, I had made a positive impression before that stage of the interview. Of course, i could talk confidently without it but just wanted to show off what I had been taught.

Happens to the best of us. Key thing is to learn from our mistakes. Also every situation is different and everyone should take note of the context and apply accordingly. There is no absolute right answer to this question methinks.

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Foxie: 3:40pm On Apr 06, 2013
[color=#770077][/color][quote author=gparker]Interesting topic,

I figure AdoOloro is being sarcastic. Well I'll share my personal experience with you, two weeks ago I had an interview with an oil & gas firm where I took my laptop with me (it's actually a notebook, the mini laptop). I took it along because it has my resume on it as well as a list of questions I've prepared for every interviewer I'll be meeting with. In addition to that I just feel it's tidier to go with soft copies rather than hard copies of such documents.

Well guess what? The feedback I later received from the company as well as the consulting firm responsible for the recruitment was disheartening,hilarious and annoying all at the same time. They felt bringing a laptop to the interview was unnecessary and it was also a minus for me. The recruitment firm pretty much berated me for doing so and asked why I carry a laptop to interviews (this particular interview was my 2nd with the firm and one of it's clients). I was even adviced to carry hardcopies of my resume and a diary to make notes during the interview.

Me, I just thought to myself these people are not serious oooo. In this age and time of information technology, if you can't see or understand why I brought the laptop or the necessity of having your documents together in one place and on soft copy which makes life easier then you shouldn't be in this line of business. I also felt they weren't a forward looking and up to par organization.

Is that going to stop me from taking my laptop to interviews HELL NO, because as far as I am concerned

1. The interview is a two way business conversation and if the laptop is a tool that will help or enable me conduct my own interview who are you to tell me otherwise. Moreover if people are comfortable carrying hard copies of documents everywhere they go I am not.

2. The only thing I would do differently next time regarding the laptop is that, I would inform the interviewer from the start that I plan to use my laptop during the course of the interview because it has my resume and list of questions on it. I won't even say it, as if I am asking for permission to use it. I will say it assertively like hey it's the IT age get with the programme cool.

3. I realized some time ago that I have some measure of control over the interview as an applicant so I no longer let people bullshit me in anyway ooo. Gone are the days when an interviewer will have the upper hand at my interviews I am so changing the game to make sure I walk away with a better deal than I've gotten in the past.

As you are assessing me to verify my suitability I am also assessing you to see if you are the sort of organization I want to align myself with. I am sick and tired of feeling cheated and being short changed by some of these naija employers.

Well I have since decided to severe my ties with that recruitement firm because not only was I disappointed I wasn't even given a chance to explain why I carry the laptop with me to interviews. I could have done that in writing via email but I felt this people would think I'm either being combative or making excuses so I didn't bother and having met with two of their clients so far I think I've had enough because the experience in both cases wasn't nice at all and I'll be damned if I put myself through that ever again with any interviewer.

In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be change the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

If I make any sense at all then like this post. LOL grin
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Foxie: 3:47pm On Apr 06, 2013
My Guy from what m seeing U̶̲̥̅̊ might remain jobless n unemployed for a very long time_m not cursing #jes saying
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by blasterman(m): 5:52pm On Apr 06, 2013
gparker: Interesting topic,

I figure AdoOloro is being sarcastic. Well I'll share my personal experience with you, two weeks ago I had an interview with an oil & gas firm where I took my laptop with me (it's actually a notebook, the mini laptop). I took it along because it has my resume on it as well as a list of questions I've prepared for every interviewer I'll be meeting with. In addition to that I just feel it's tidier to go with soft copies rather than hard copies of such documents.

Well guess what? The feedback I later received from the company as well as the consulting firm responsible for the recruitment was disheartening,hilarious and annoying all at the same time. They felt bringing a laptop to the interview was unnecessary and it was also a minus for me. The recruitment firm pretty much berated me for doing so and asked why I carry a laptop to interviews (this particular interview was my 2nd with the firm and one of it's clients). I was even adviced to carry hardcopies of my resume and a diary to make notes during the interview.

Me, I just thought to myself these people are not serious oooo. In this age and time of information technology, if you can't see or understand why I brought the laptop or the necessity of having your documents together in one place and on soft copy which makes life easier then you shouldn't be in this line of business. I also felt they weren't a forward looking and up to par organization.

Is that going to stop me from taking my laptop to interviews HELL NO, because as far as I am concerned

1. The interview is a two way business conversation and if the laptop is a tool that will help or enable me conduct my own interview who are you to tell me otherwise. Moreover if people are comfortable carrying hard copies of documents everywhere they go I am not.

2. The only thing I would do differently next time regarding the laptop is that, I would inform the interviewer from the start that I plan to use my laptop during the course of the interview because it has my resume and list of questions on it. I won't even say it, as if I am asking for permission to use it. I will say it assertively like hey it's the IT age get with the programme cool.

3. I realized some time ago that I have some measure of control over the interview as an applicant so I no longer let people bullshit me in anyway ooo. Gone are the days when an interviewer will have the upper hand at my interviews I am so changing the game to make sure I walk away with a better deal than I've gotten in the past.

As you are assessing me to verify my suitability I am also assessing you to see if you are the sort of organization I want to align myself with. I am sick and tired of feeling cheated and being short changed by some of these naija employers.

Well I have since decided to severe my ties with that recruitement firm because not only was I disappointed I wasn't even given a chance to explain why I carry the laptop with me to interviews. I could have done that in writing via email but I felt this people would think I'm either being combative or making excuses so I didn't bother and having met with two of their clients so far I think I've had enough because the experience in both cases wasn't nice at all and I'll be damned if I put myself through that ever again with any interviewer.

In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be chang the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

If I make any sense at all then like this post. LOL grin !

I think is stupid to take a laptop you have to portay as having knowledge in yoiur head or are u saying witout ur laptop you are useless.you cannot function or think. Nowadays employers want to see your thought process Taking a laptop can be misconstrued as showing off in a technical discussion unless u are an architect or an artist. Best advice is to print out whatever you want to show them and give it to them during the interview.

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by back2sender: 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2013
U guys don dey make me fear oooo with most of una comments, let me share my experience of recent.

I just had an interview inAbuja on thursday for a job that part of the requirement was a min of 7 yrs work experience and i anticipated a question will be asked and i did a power point presentation to project my answer for that question. Along the line of preparation my friend advised i also print out hard copies of it as well and advised i get about 5 sets.

At the interview venue as i was the first on the list to be called because i got to see the list with the security officer who waas to screen me before entering the complex. i assume maybe i came out tops on the written test.

The test was called competency written test and we had to answer the question via folders created for each of us in the system.

The HR person asked me if i needed the laptop as we were moving into the interview venue and i said yes because i had it in mind that i anticipated a question related to the PPT will be asked and i wanted to answer this question with a WOW effect with the PP presentation because i also used some of the organisations words on marbles/ bylines as my footer in the PPT plus thier logo.

It was a 5 man panel including the HR person, she did not ask any question but questions came in from 3 of the panel members because they seem to know more about the field. when i was asked the question,i told them i have a PPT for that question and they said time constraint so i gave them the hard copies of the PPT.

Hope i wont be punished because because i rili did dazzle them at the interview that at a point in time the head of the panel said i rili came prepared and even wen i mixed up a point he corrected me. he said he his impressed and has no more questions for me and asked others if they have. 2 of the panel members threw thier question which i answered while 2 said they dont have questions for me.

The HR lady said i need to get my certificate within next week assuming i was called because what i presentetd was my notification of result.

Even part of the requirement was a good knowledge of MS packages so if i can demonstrate answering a question using one of the ms packages that most candidtaes of today dont know how to use should be seen as a plus and not a minus- thats my 2 cents

The interview was called competency based interview so i dont rili think iam out of place here. asking real like questions because they believe a person past behaviour can predict how he will likely behave in the future.

When i was asked if i have any questions for them, i asked them about 2 of thier articles i saw on one of the dailies and thier website and the HR person person cuts in that i should have asked questions related to the job and that the experts that should have answered those questions are not in the panel. i was surprised because as long as its a questions that concerns the organisation iam not out of place and it also shows iam current about recent events in the organisation.

My friend said maybe dem no fit answer the question na make the HR person cut in and that my quesion is not out of place

Thanks all for you anticipated response to my post
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by oluwanoni: 8:37pm On Apr 06, 2013
If its your wish to carry a tablet or laptop, go ahead its ur choice nobody should dictate for you, for me it aint neccesary tho, you carrying it will increase the chances of others being selected for the job,ę go better for others.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ninilowo(m): 9:09pm On Apr 06, 2013
I said it one day that the rate of employment is as bad as it is presented but THERE ARE NO EMPLOYABLE graduates.
How on earth will u go for an interview with gadgets? Going with gadgets sich as ipad tells the panel that you are already comfortable going by the amount it worth.
Also immature e-mail addresses and ring tones can be a candidates major undoing at interview(s)
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Ninilowo(m): 12:34am On Apr 07, 2013
Ninilowo: I said it one day that the rate of employment Is not as bad as it is presented but THERE ARE NO EMPLOYABLE graduates.
How on earth will u go for an interview with gadgets? Going with gadgets sich as ipad tells the panel that you are already comfortable going by the amount it worth.
Also immature e-mail addresses and ring tones can be a candidates major undoing at interview(s)

1 Like

Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by dabossman(m): 1:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Foxie: [color=#770077][/color]In my first interview with a client of their's I was spoken down to by the client and basically belittled & ridiculed. In this second interview I was asked to come in at 11:45am but when I finally walked out of the building it was 2pm meanwhile I wasn't asked to take a written assessment, fill out any sort of paper work oooo. I thought this is crazy a mere oral interview shouldn't last this long.

Some employers don't have any qualms with wasting your time or failing to apologize for wasting your time. But if you as an applicant dare try that you would be called all sorts of names. We've sha suffered as applicants in this country, but me I have resolved to be change the way my interviews are conducted and how I am treated.

And this thread just wont go away. I'd like to comment on the quoted above. As job applicants you need to realize that a job interview these days goes beyond looking at your educational qualifications and work experience. We already have that info from your CV. When you are called to an interview, we want to assess you. Sometimes, your assessment starts from the moment you step through the gates. That long wait you are complaining about sometimes is also a test of your resilence and patience level. In some cases your every action while waiting is being watched through CCTV cameras. Are you the type who gets restless and begins to complain to the front desk executive? Are you going to start murmuring and grumbling to other applicants?

Sometimes the employer wants to know, how you can handle such pressure, especially if you will be dealing with their clients once you are employed. So, sometimes they harrass you and talk down at you in the hope that you might snap, or visibly show your annoyance or discomfort. It's the typical good cop, bad cop scenario. It's just a test, it's nothing personal.
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by tundelomo(m): 4:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
grin[quote author=chinnyonwu]Anytime I go for interviews I always take my laptop, printer(for printing my CV), scanner (to get softcopy of any hardcopy files dey mite wanna give me) and of course my generator incase they don't have light. grin #knocks head on d wall#
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Mustay(m): 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
dabossman:

Sometimes, your assessment starts from the moment you step through the gates. That long wait you are complaining about sometimes is also a test of your resilence and patience level. In some cases your every action while waiting is being watched through CCTV cameras. Are you the type who gets restless and begins to complain to the front desk executive? Are you going to start murmuring and grumbling to other applicants?

Sometimes the employer wants to know, how you can handle such pressure, especially if you will be dealing with their clients once you are employed. So, sometimes they harrass you and talk down at you in the hope that you might snap, or visibly show your annoyance or discomfort. It's the typical good cop, bad cop scenario. It's just a test, it's nothing personal.

Quite TRUE but I don't buy the wasting time ish. If an interview or test is scheduled for x time, information should be relayed as to what's happening. Entry level may have no choice (still doesn't make time wasting right) but experienced applicants are not necessarily begging for a job that you'll toss then around like an Olympic marathon time keeper!
Re: Taking An iPad/galaxy tab To Interview, Good Or Bad idea? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mustay:

Quite TRUE but I don't buy the wasting time ish. If an interview or test is scheduled for x time, information should be relayed as to what's happening. Entry level may have no choice (still doesn't make time wasting right) but experienced applicants are not necessarily begging for a job that you'll toss then around like an Olympic marathon time keeper!

adenuga is fond of the crap - making people wait forever - i guy i know was waiting for him for over 3 hours.the guy wuld get up to leave, the PA would be like - please, just a few more minutes. the guy eventually left. later he heard adenuga was watching him the whole time on cctv

of course, when you consider the fat that adenuga holds meetings at 2am one should not be suprised

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Else Received This Text????? / 9mobile Nigeria Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / African Development Bank (AFDB) Job Recruitment 2017 (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.