Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,065 members, 7,863,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:39 AM

Should I Return To Nigeria? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should I Return To Nigeria? (24946 Views)

Anyaoku Urges Return To Regional Govt / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Daniel Can’t Return To Pdp –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

Thank you bros ,your advice is worth more than money.

Thank you very much for your advice all ,it is much apprecaited.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

@The rest of the people who replied,i will like to offer my profound gratitude that you took time to share your wisdom with me.They say he who asks for direction never gets lost.

I am first and foremost a proud Nigerian who has genuine love and concern for my country.The truth is that no matter how successful you are abroad,you will always miss home.It just does not feel the same and you start to ache and dream about home.No amount of money or comfort can fix that ache hence why i have made some effort to move home.

Thanks to all your inputs i now have a clear understanding of what i need to do which will be as follow:

(A) Visit Nigeria for a month and survey the environment where i want to be based

(B) Go back to SA and hand over my businesses to capable managers.

(C) Relocate to Nigeria solo and reside in Nigeria for 6 months preparing school and other necessities for my family

(D) At the end of my solo research determine if my family can adapt to the Nigerians lifestyle

(F) Bring my family to Nigeria ,settle down and move on with life

Thank you all and GOD bless.

Good stuff. But you don't need to stay 6 months away from your family. 3 to 4 months max is all you need to arrange yourself and get your family over if you know what you're doing. But it's your choice. Good luck.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by jumobi1(m): 7:43pm On Apr 05, 2013
@Rimbaldi
Get your comparisons straight. Nigerians go abroad to do menial jobs. You see Nigerian Lawyers driving Dollar Vans in the US because it helps them better provide for their family in Nigeria. Some work 20 years and then go back and live like a king.
The foreigners that go to Nigeria don't go to drive Dollar Vans, do home health aid jobs and earn minimum wage. They go to Nigeria to do big business and provide services we sometimes don't have. They make millions in Nigeria because they come with money from their country and because we kiss foreign ass. Nigerians run abroad with nothing.
Nigeria isn't hell fire but let's be honest.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 7:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
euromilion:

Yea Joe from Enugu.are u based in 9ja now?anyway am in Dublin including many boys from mimosa and sunny d rice seller is here too.wat was ur name?
which boy from mimosa dey dublin me too am from mimosa i dey london now, and yes i kno emeka ita do know you those maputo girls working in the bar downstairs do you know sam the manager of mimosa, and okey ikwerre,mauri, bekee emeh, lucky nwa benin, akika,chukwunenye umuaka,okey sandcity,roger dj,sumudu and that umakoshia girl called shorty
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
@euromillion i know alaowerri,oti okpo,emeka ita, chairrman ndiara,alakuba,uche BP, also know konukos lives in safari hotel, do you know ette calabar man selling food near safari?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
BUSH MAN: @euromillion i know alaowerri also know konukos lives in safari hotel, do you know ette calabar man selling food near safari?

Yes I knew all of d above names,many from mimosa are here,Clinton was here,but had some prob wit market,I heard he was deported or he ran to London one of d above,okey awoh and okey ibe kaemeh,sunny,nonso they re all here.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
babe_online:
what I mean by ''not to ruin the kids destiny'' is that there is no job in Nigeria and it is very likely that unemployment will increase.

the availability/unavailability of jobs in a country does not determine the destiny of children!
as a matter of fact, there is no destiny, we create our own realities. have you heard about the name WIZKID? how old is he? in what country did he grow up? the owner of this very forum SEUN ? how old is he? in which country did he grow up?
my dear, the place you are never determines your success or failure, only you can create your own success, not govt. nor country. THINK POSITIVELY.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
euromilion:

Yea Joe from Enugu.are u based in 9ja now?anyway am in Dublin including many boys from mimosa and sunny d rice seller is here too.wat was ur name?

heeyyy!!! Sunny the seller of KwasaKwasa!! i know him, my regards to him and all the Mimosa guys there.
sorry for my name, this is Nairaland, a faceless forum, real identities are withheld for goodness sake.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rimbaldi: 12:36am On Apr 06, 2013
jumobi1: @Rimbaldi
Get your comparisons straight. Nigerians go abroad to do menial jobs. You see Nigerian Lawyers driving Dollar Vans in the US because it helps them better provide for their family in Nigeria. Some work 20 years and then go back and live like a king.
The foreigners that go to Nigeria don't go to drive Dollar Vans, do home health aid jobs and earn minimum wage. They go to Nigeria to do big business and provide services we sometimes don't have. They make millions in Nigeria because they come with money from their country and because we kiss foreign ass. Nigerians run abroad with nothing.
Nigeria isn't hell fire but let's be honest.

I'm not saying Nigeria doesn't have issues, we have dem plenty but not amplified the way the western media paints it like every kid outta Africa has kwashiorkor.
A lot of these foreigners don't come with any money, they come borrowing from our very own banks and like u pointed out, we kiss foreign ass. I understand that some of our people in foreign lands work their butts off doing all sorts of jobs and I respect that knowing there is dignity in Labor, but the LCM of the matter is just the EXCHANGE RATE. What irks me is how a lot of them are quick to castigate anything Nigerian. Nigeria is not safe, it is primitive, it is this, it is that! We are managing it that way and with all our complaints and headaches, we try to cope because we see opportunities and try to make the best out of them. Some of our diaspora brethren after all the castigation, still come back to take permanent residence once a political appointment is in the offing and then they start enjoying the HELL HOLE. I understand that some say the things they say because they don't have much to come back with to set up shop thus the excuses, but what about those that have the influence to make a good living from here and create employment for the youth? We are all quick to say that today's youth in Nigeria lack exposure and education but we are the ones setting them up for failure all because we are looking for ways to line up our pockets faster. Tune in to any local tv station, STV, Galaxy, TVC etc and the only thing u get to see would be either news or music videos, or one celebrity wannabe reality show. No educative and informative programmes like there used to be back in the days. The only thing they know is showbiz because we are not doing our bit well and we are inundating these youths with BS. We all (local and diaspora) need to help educate these youths otherwise in less than 15 years, all professional jobs(medicine,law, Engr etc) would have been outsourced because our youths are trying to become overnight stars. The same 'abroad' that Nigerians go is the same 'abroad' that Indians, Lebanese and westerners go to when they come to Nigeria, but the difference is they still recognize home and the need to help develop home and that is why they repatriate all their funds home. It is not mandatory for all diasporans to think that way, but the few that give it a thought should not be discouraged. What doesn't work for you might actually work wonders for the next person, it all depends on the approach and methods employed.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by wesley80(m): 2:10am On Apr 06, 2013
I nicked 118 Likes on this thread alone, my highest ever likes for a single comment wow, wow, wow! Thanks yall for showing me luv and Thanx Playmode for giving me ammunition to fire you lol.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by jumobi1(m): 7:56am On Apr 06, 2013
Rimbaldi:

I'm not saying Nigeria doesn't have issues, we have dem plenty but not amplified the way the western media paints it like every kid outta Africa has kwashiorkor.
A lot of these foreigners don't come with any money, they come borrowing from our very own banks and like u pointed out, we kiss foreign ass. I understand that some of our people in foreign lands work their butts off doing all sorts of jobs and I respect that knowing there is dignity in Labor, but the LCM of the matter is just the EXCHANGE RATE. What irks me is how a lot of them are quick to castigate anything Nigerian. Nigeria is not safe, it is primitive, it is this, it is that! We are managing it that way and with all our complaints and headaches, we try to cope because we see opportunities and try to make the best out of them. Some of our diaspora brethren after all the castigation, still come back to take permanent residence once a political appointment is in the offing and then they start enjoying the HELL HOLE. I understand that some say the things they say because they don't have much to come back with to set up shop thus the excuses, but what about those that have the influence to make a good living from here and create employment for the youth? We are all quick to say that today's youth in Nigeria lack exposure and education but we are the ones setting them up for failure all because we are looking for ways to line up our pockets faster. Tune in to any local tv station, STV, Galaxy, TVC etc and the only thing u get to see would be either news or music videos, or one celebrity wannabe reality show. No educative and informative programmes like there used to be back in the days. The only thing they know is showbiz because we are not doing our bit well and we are inundating these youths with BS. We all (local and diaspora) need to help educate these youths otherwise in less than 15 years, all professional jobs(medicine,law, Engr etc) would have been outsourced because our youths are trying to become overnight stars. The same 'abroad' that Nigerians go is the same 'abroad' that Indians, Lebanese and westerners go to when they come to Nigeria, but the difference is they still recognize home and the need to help develop home and that is why they repatriate all their funds home. It is not mandatory for all diasporans to think that way, but the few that give it a thought should not be discouraged. What doesn't work for you might actually work wonders for the next person, it all depends on the approach and methods employed.

RESPECT.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 06, 2013
Please stay there to reduce our number. Just got back too.

Naija is better , zero tax
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Ayomel(m): 10:36am On Apr 06, 2013
This is my question.
A......do you have good reason of going home?
B........ Have you made provision of what u will do in nigeria?
C........have you comfirm the house you ask them to build for you?
D........ Do you have money that you can manage for atlist six month?
If you have (yes)to all these questions.......you dont need to wait anymore than going back home as you want.
But if you dont, try get all those things intact .

Am telling you from experience.
My self have been living abroad for the past 12 year, ii love it here,but am telling you no place like home. Home is the best place to be, you know what am saying if you have been there for long time...
Security wise...... If you play cool and easy nigeria is much more better for you than anywhere in the world exept you are making too much (money )that you think
You cannot make in nigeria,
Have been to more than 20 countries in africa, have live in europe and asia,,,,,,,
I give glory to God for my life today for what i am.............. But brother there is no peace living in another man country. And am telling you nigeria is
Developing you need to be there ...... Mind you,,,, you are missing alot not being in nigeria.
My family live's in the north and i go to nigeria every six month with my friends main while my wife his europian we do rock together and they all love nigeria.
You will live better in nigeria than south africa......
Crime rate in the US in one month is more than one year crime in nigeria. So do south Africa.....
In the way if you can make it there you will make it in nigeria.
Peace out.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
991:

heeyyy!!! Sunny the seller of KwasaKwasa!! i know him, my regards to him and all the Mimosa guys there.
sorry for my name, this is Nairaland, a faceless forum, real identities are withheld for goodness sake.

Yea sunny kwasakwasa even mike (oluwole).what are u guys doing now?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 06, 2013
euromilion:

Yea sunny kwasakwasa even mike (oluwole).what are u guys doing now?

i left southy years ago, went to few other countries before coming down to naija, got married and living fine. importation has been good to me but in small scale, a lot of other bizness opportunities here and there. naija is d best for me.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 06, 2013
991:

i left southy years ago, went to few other countries before coming down to naija, got married and living fine. importation has been good to me but in small scale, a lot of other bizness opportunities here and there. naija is d best for me.

Do u remember Mayor?

Am happy for u bro,atleast we're alive to walk d memories lane,I wish I can say d same as u,anyway am now married wit 2 kids and now a qualified solicitor and another guy from Mariston hotel called uchenna is now a barrister too.for now we re happy living here but home is home.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 06, 2013
euromilion:

Do remember Mayor?

Am happy for u bro,atleast we're alive to walk d memories lane,I wish I can say d same as u,anyway am now married wit 2 kids and now a qualified solicitor and another guy from Mariston hotel called uchenna is now a barrister too.for now we happy living here but home is home.

Am so glad to hear that! gudluck to you guys, i hope we all shall be at home before old-age comes. lol!
cheers man!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 06, 2013
991:

Am so glad to hear that! gudluck to you guys, i hope we all shall be at home before old-age comes. lol!
cheers man!!

All d best bro.

My Rgds.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by ekoilee: 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2013
There's nothing like ones own country, but sometimes ones own country becomes too messed up and non conducive for a better way of life hence leaving for good or return years later.

But at one point, Nigeria has to get better and that better starts from us all hence returning to fill in the gap from entering the public service or joining the business and service community.

So p, what should really be articulated by many posters in this thread to help the OP are varying points of day to day existence in Nigeria from expectations and what's available, what is not available and how to improvise or get around obstacles or what's not available and even the cost of working around obstacles.

Naija based Nigerians are in a better position to articulate the truthful facts about Life in general, how they survive with transportation, food entertainment, work and professional life, peoples state of mind and hospitality, basic utilities like water, electricity, safety and security.

Do you still have to bribe your way through everything? What's the general landscape like? Is it hostile? Is it frustrating? Can you get anything done with minimal worries or headache?

If you need to buy or build a house, what's the cost of land, materials or when the general cost from one location to the other.

Uprooting ones family from abroad to Nigeria is not a small deal because its huge enough to stress and break up any family if proper planning and investigation is not done.

So if naija based folks really feel like helping, they owe the OP the honest truth about every aspect of life in Nigeria from top to bottom instead of all the clashing egos and bickering.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2013
Ayomel: This is my question.
A......do you have good reason of going home?
B........ Have you made provision of what u will do in nigeria?
C........have you comfirm the house you ask them to build for you?
D........ Do you have money that you can manage for atlist six month?
If you have (yes)to all these questions.......you dont need to wait anymore than going back home as you want.
But if you dont, try get all those things intact .

Am telling you from experience.
My self have been living abroad for the past 12 year, ii love it here,but am telling you no place like home. Home is the best place to be, you know what am saying if you have been there for long time...
Security wise...... If you play cool and easy nigeria is much more better for you than anywhere in the world exept you are making too much (money )that you think
You cannot make in nigeria,
Have been to more than 20 countries in africa, have live in europe and asia,,,,,,,
I give glory to God for my life today for what i am.............. But brother there is no peace living in another man country. And am telling you nigeria is
Developing you need to be there ...... Mind you,,,, you are missing alot not being in nigeria.
My family live's in the north and i go to nigeria every six month with my friends main while my wife his europian we do rock together and they all love nigeria.
You will live better in nigeria than south africa......
Crime rate in the US in one month is more than one year crime in nigeria. So too south Africa.....
In the way if you can make it there you will make it in nigeria.
Peace out.

Very well spoken. Everything you've written is 100% correct.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
991:

so who are you people, me too i lived in mimosa aswell,do kno mike (chairman indiara)okey sandcity,lucky nwa bini,cosmos,chukwunenye from umuaka?..if you kno this people then you know me
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Venchy: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
festusb: Consult the real men of God for counselling and prayer concerning your coming home(Nigeria)

Another money making advise....Men of God indeed......No more person ooo.

Please chill out wherever you are for now until there's a sense of direction with this present government.

Average Nigerians back home have no idea what's happening within the country as we have more news than them.

A lot of people will like to go back home but situation on ground is totally discouraging with GEJ given Pardon to his formal criminal boss....Wonders shall never end in Nigeria.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 6:03pm On Apr 06, 2013
euromilion:

Do u remember Mayor?

Am happy for u bro,atleast we're alive to walk d memories lane,I wish I can say d same as u,anyway am now married wit 2 kids and now a qualified solicitor and another guy from Mariston hotel called uchenna is now a barrister too.for now we re happy living here but home is home.
yes i remember mayor, so who be you? me too i was in mimosa aswell now i live in london, do you know ikwiikwii,chairman indiara,lucky nwa bini,sumudu,okey sandcity,uche loyd,nze west, if you know this people then you know me, here is my email. vicblaze65@yahoo.com, contact me
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Venchy: 6:26pm On Apr 06, 2013
I no know book:

You are a very wicked man to paint Nigeria so rosy in your advice to the Op. There is nothing wrong with one coming back to his father land to establish him or her self, despite the challenges Nigeria faces. I, for instance, wants to come back and help myself as well as the economy. Nigeria is one of the best place to turn ones money many times over if one is careful and know what he or she is doing. But to paint Nigeria in the manner that you have just done without emphasizing its herculean challenges, is to say the least, very unfortunate.

Now Op, Nigeria has so many challenges that are peculiar to Nigeria. Forget about people telling you that the security situation in Naija is comparable to that of the western countries. It's a big freaking lie. Anybody saying that probably has not stepped outside of naija. Quite agreed, western countries have their own security challenges, but those challenges are in no way shape or form comparable to that of Naija. They are light years ahead of naija in every ramifications. I will use myself as an example. I live in New York city. There has never been a day I went to bed fearing that armed robbers would invade my house and attack me while I'm sleeping. I can wake up at 1am in the night and decide to drive to DC for example, and won't be afraid of encountering armed robbers on the way. If I'm in any situation that I consider to be a threat to my life, all I will do is to dial 911 and police will be there within minutes. Mind you, this is not to say that crimes don't happen in the big apple, it does. But every crime is investigated and culprits punished, if caught, and they do catch so many of them.

Now, what of Naija? This is a different case entirely. It is nightmarish. Right from the airport, you have to be extremely careful, lest you be kidnapped. No matter where you live, you have to sleep with one eye open because of armed robbers, and they are merciless. What about those being paid to protect us? Some of them are the robbers and themselves or work hand in hand with the robbers. Pray not to find yourself in a life or death situation, because if you do, and call them, they will come 3 hrs after the event, and if they come, they may end up shooting you. The roads are too bad and the airlines fly mainly aircrafts that the original owners couldn't get re-certified overseas and ended up selling them to Nigerians. I can go on and on to list the terrible challenges, they are so innumerable. Don't let anybody deceive you, it's not a bed of roses out there. It's not, it's simply nightmarish.

The above notwithstanding, you should not be deterred from coming home, after all, Nigeria is your fatherland, and you can make good money there, even better than overseas. Plan very well. Visit very often while planning. Be careful of the friend you keep. Always blend in with the crowd, don't try to stand out. There are so many returnees that are doing very well and your case won't be different. You are not coming back to a bed of roses, rather, you are coming back to a place that has a lot of potentials that are yet untapped.

Please take note of this name "ROSSIKK"....He's a GOVERNMENT CHICKEN BOY that paint every BAD things as good as well as paint all the diaspora as nonentity.

He's always against every truth people have to say about the country, clearly he doesn't understand freedom of expression, very abusive and intrusive, even when you are not talking to him or quote him, that tells you that he's one of those that's making money at the expense of the country.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 6:51pm On Apr 06, 2013
^^^ Were you not the one who recently blamed the federal govt for the ''bad road and death trap'' that, in your view, led to the accident which claimed 110 lives on Benin-Ore road?

When it was pointed out to you that that road was among the smoothest in the entire country, having been fully renovated, you disappeared to another thread.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 06, 2013
Are people saying that Nigeria is safe ans secure and life is good
Which Nigeria? Same one I was born and raised
OP please let me advice you as a Nigerian LIN . . . Come back but leave your family there!
Your children will hate you for making their life miserable.
I have an in-law who returned from SA after retirement and OMG I feel for those kids. The definitely are not happy.
No light . . you'll spend a huge amount of money on fuel just to escape the intense heat!
No water . . well except you can afford the cost of sinking and maintaining a BH.
no good roads . . I'm sure you read about thousands of lives lost on accidents on Nigerian roads . .
No security . . . Please kidnappers are REAL. Don't let people deceive you! Even if you can afford the ransom, what about the emotional and physical trauma
Bad governance . . . People wasting public funds like it's their personal money!
Please please pleas . . . DO NOT put your children through that!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by ekoilee: 9:49pm On Apr 06, 2013
Ujujoan: Are people saying that Nigeria is safe ans secure and life is good
Which Nigeria? Same one I was born and raised
OP please let me advice you as a Nigerian LIN . . . Come back but leave your family there!
Your children will hate you for making their life miserable.
I have an in-law who returned from SA after retirement and OMG I feel for those kids. The definitely are not happy.
No light . . you'll spend a huge amount of money on fuel just to escape the intense heat!
No water . . well except you can afford the cost of sinking and maintaining a BH.
no good roads . . I'm sure you read about thousands of lives lost on accidents on Nigerian roads . .
No security . . . Please kidnappers are REAL. Don't let people deceive you! Even if you can afford the ransom, what about the emotional and physical trauma
Bad governance . . . People wasting public funds like it's their personal money!
Please please pleas . . . DO NOT put your children through that!

Sounds very honest and straight to the point.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by prince3342(m): 10:10pm On Apr 06, 2013
This is the difference between a typical Nigerian and a Nigerian of new generation. May God help you!!!
wesley80: I nicked 118 Likes on this thread alone, my highest ever likes for a single comment wow, wow, wow! Thanks yall for showing me luv and Thanx Playmode for giving me ammunition to fire you lol.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by prince3342(m): 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2013
a
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by vicope: 11:29pm On Apr 06, 2013
Am I the only one thinking that the person who prolly helped u acquire or develop the property in Lekki is also the person feeding you lies to make stay back in SA?
*not my business*

All I'll just say is that when compared to SA, Nigeria is SAFER in terms of security!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by dasparrow: 11:30pm On Apr 06, 2013
@Post

I don't have strength to type too much but all I can say is, don't do it. Depending on where you live, most areas in Nigeria still have no light, no clean drinking water and the Nigerian heat, dust and over population can drive one insane. If you are living a decent life in SA, its best you remain there. My humble opinion.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:32am On Apr 07, 2013
BUSH MAN: yes i remember mayor, so who be you? me too i was in mimosa aswell now i live in london, do you know ikwiikwii,chairman indiara,lucky nwa bini,sumudu,okey sandcity,uche loyd,nze west, if you know this people then you know me, here is my email. vicblaze65@yahoo.com, contact me

Sorry bro,No body or very few pple knew me in mimosa,I was very quiet and very busy wit studies then,although,every now and then I do come to d bar.Joseph was my close friend then,I knew few pple through him.what was ur name mate?.where is Nze west now?lucky d one they deported from swiz?were u in taskforce?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by OilCabal: 3:12pm On Apr 07, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Student Treks From Kano To Abuja To Protest Alleged Electoral Malpractice In Tar / No Completed Federal Project In Pdp’s 16 Years Reign – Osinbajo / Nigerians Want PDP Back In 2019 – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.