Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,839 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33382 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
na lie oo. make una cme man utd thread cme see big big grammer with very minute intellect attatched to it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omodapson(m): 10:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
If the topic is taken out of context and in context, good English can be both. I could sound paradoxical but yeah it is!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by hunkydory(m): 10:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
Speaking good english is an undisputable sign of erudition.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by yuzedo: 10:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
If u can spek gooood englis pass queen of inn-gland, is for ur pocket. Inteligents or educkations, englis spickers only knows how to form sexy sexy up and down like SEUN.
Look wole soyinker, he spek englis pass senator patrick, but he don't have even common Bq in Banana Island. Look at Adedibu, Government Tompolo,Jackin Shan, Alao-Akala, dey can't even spek one drop of english but dey have morny. Why? Don't dey have intelligent? At list, Akala went to Harvad univasity before he join police and enter governor. undecided

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Ogundale(m): 10:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
My guy live english
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Lakayana: 10:21pm On Apr 07, 2013
English is just another language. You must be smart in a way to speak a language that is not your mother's tongue.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by 2legit2qwt: 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
No, it's not always true although if you're able to speak eloquently (English or any other languages), it does reflect that you must have had some form of formal education.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by SisiKill1: 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
Hit might not be eh sign of hintelligence or heducation but hit his the fust thing people notice.

So huntil the time comes when you can plaster your HI-Q scores hon your forehead, we hare just gonna ave to make do with what we ave right now - Good Henglish.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by tfk08: 10:24pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
There are people who never went to school but are fluent in English. Does it mean they're educated?
i go with u on this, some of our nollywood actors n actress neva attended school but speaks gud english language
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by pekelepekele(m): 10:26pm On Apr 07, 2013
The question is why are we correcting ourselves when we notice someone's speech is filled with grammatical errors . All my days at school who cares about speaking english? . Nah pidgin we dey speak abeg if oyinbo no like our english . Make dem self start to dey wear ankara abi speak yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omiobo: 10:28pm On Apr 07, 2013
Considering the definition of both educatiion and intelligence,good english is neither a sign of education nor intelligence. It is an ability.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by gameboy727(m): 10:28pm On Apr 07, 2013
Its a sign of both
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by pryd(m): 10:30pm On Apr 07, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva][color=#006600][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=11pt]I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?

intelligence has nothing to do with language ,neither can it be cornered into education. or are u suggesting our forefathers weren't intelligent?

intelligence is a virtue that cuts across. why not look up intelligence in the dictionary(yeah it might sound lame,just try it) you might get a clearer picture.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by VirginFinder: 10:32pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
There are people who never went to school but are fluent in English. Does it mean they're educated?

It's only a matter of before you fish them out.

Some things can only be learnt in a school.

E.gs
1. No sooner did Afam become a mod than he registered 'Oily Yoruba' as his Yoruba bashing moniker.

2. It's high time Afam stopped downgrading d'Banj's very obvious international success out of bad blood.

Other examples abound.

Only educated people - people who passed through school and had it pass through them - can speak fluent, correct English to a reasonable, generally acceptable extent.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 07, 2013
yuzedo: If u can spek gooood englis pass queen of inn-gland, is for ur pocket. Inteligents or educkations, englis spickers only knows how to form sexy sexy up and down like SEUN.
Look wole soyinker, he spek englis pass senator patrick, but he don't have even common Bq in Banana Island. Look at Adedibu, Government Tompolo,Jackin Shan, Alao-Akala, dey can't even spek one drop of english but dey have morny. Why? Don't dey have intelligent? At list, Akala went to Harvad univasity before he join police and enter governor. undecided
don't they have intelligent?chai una no go kill person with grammar for nairaland oooo
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by danniyal(m): 10:33pm On Apr 07, 2013
English language is just a means of communication like any other language on earth.A young lad that is being spoken to in english will grow up to speak good english even without going to school at all.The chinese, russians etc dont speak english yet they are very intelligent people and doing better than us with all our big big grammar.We should judge intelligence based on ones ability to carry out effectively the tasks given to him

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Kamxin(m): 10:33pm On Apr 07, 2013
English just like maths is just the basic(basic education) So if a person can't understand the basic it simply points to illitracy. But speaking it neatly suggest (well)educated & good formation
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by funmemezy: 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2013
Its evrywhere not only in nigeria,hav an 18year old ghananian househelp who speaks queens english fluently,infact u ll fall in lov with her accent but she's got nothin upstairs. As a mata of fact she dropd outta sch in class five. I wanna put her back in sch cos she's dull academicaly,her thinkin faculty is so low but cos she undstnds english I tink she may learn fast.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by aijaydiva(f): 10:36pm On Apr 07, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] language skills depend mainly on enviroment and upbringing! I had dis friend in school who was very intelligent and she knew alot. Her challenge was english. But she was still able to pass any message across to anyone and we all understood her ( although she always prefered to speak her mother tongue). Alot of dumb people are very fluent in english language. Language is just a tool for communication and not an evidence of intelligence!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 07, 2013
yuzedo: If u can spek gooood englis pass queen of inn-gland, is for ur pocket. Inteligents or educkations, englis spickers only knows how to form sexy sexy up and down like SEUN.

Who be this sycophant undecided ?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by VirginFinder: 10:38pm On Apr 07, 2013
Look wole soyinker, he spek englis pass senator patrick, but he don't have even common Bq in Banana Island. Look at Adedibu, Government Tompolo,Jackin Shan, Alao-Akala, dey can't even spek one drop of english but dey have morny. Why? Don't dey have intelligent? At list, Akala went to Harvad univasity before he j
Olodo!

Wole Soyinka is richer than you can ever imagine.

He owns an oil company FYI!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ndudichukwumah(m): 10:41pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is not true ... U can be good in speaking English and u didn't atleast certain level of basic education
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by kbbanj10(m): 10:43pm On Apr 07, 2013
no no no.....lol
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 07, 2013
ALADE MARKET IS ON FIRE... A LOT WAS LOST...WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH SOME CERTAIN THINGS AND NOT SOME USELESS JEANS SOME HUMAN WORE, WE ARE ALL HUMANS, WHO CARES IF RIHANNA WORE ONE USELESS JEANS...PEOPLES PROPERTIES ARE GOING, WHAT THEY USE TO PAY FEES, AND YOU ARE TALKING OF SOMEONE'S JEANS..
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MrUzo: 10:44pm On Apr 07, 2013
32-D:

[size=14pt]my dear afam, the word is being not been[/size] and to ur kweshun o think knowing how to speak good english is soooooo over-rated
Modaf*ucker.. I logged in because of you f.ool. Must you always see the wrongs in people comments. Is detecting gbagaun you job here!! I hate peope forming gbagaun detector here as if they are better. Is english you dialect .. Anuefy like you!
Hoping to be giving a gbagaun mod job!!

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by rofemiguwa(f): 10:46pm On Apr 07, 2013
I get mad when people defend their lack of goood communication skills.in as much as speaking good english is not always a sign of intelligence.people shouldn't just glorify their ignorance.Imagine someone writing 'today is a sad day coz we are all morning goldie' then the person is defending it with ' is english your 'murder toungue'.all the english you has being speak since how much can you made from it'
Jesus! I went into shock.please let's always encourage that which is right.for the fact that english is your lingua franca try and learn it so you can communicate well.atleast save yourself the embarrasment.gosh!

6 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Revolva(m): 10:48pm On Apr 07, 2013
Lie lie-- I know many people who blow girammer a lot but them no sabi write sentences properly!!! Or even pass them waec /neco well
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 07, 2013
Is English a sign of education and intelligence? Of course it is a sign for everyone who received formal education in Nigeria. It is not the only sign but it is definitely a sign. Apart from being taught English as a subject in school, every other educational activity was/is in English. Pick up your Math textbook, to understand it, you must read English. To complete your art workbook? You must read the instructions in English. Pick up a newspaper, it's in English. Before you could log on to NL today, you had to read some English. So if you're being taught something (proper English) every single day of your life and you refuse to learn it, doesn't that make you a pure dullard?

8 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by omenka(m): 10:50pm On Apr 07, 2013
If you are inteligent, chances are you are educated and know how to speak good english. But good spoken english doesn't necesarily mean one is inteligent and educated.
In my opinion, one's ability to communicate in good english largely depends on the environment in which one grew up. It influences one's diction and vocabulary even more than the education they acquire.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by oboy3(m): 10:50pm On Apr 07, 2013
Ya,it was a truth you are talking,me and my friend was arguementing upon it Yesterday
dont blame my grammariticulations
maths was my best subject in school
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by pweetimarlibra: 10:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
Well I dn't think a good spoken english is an assessment of one's intelligence and education.a person who attends just primary skol,put in a very nice environment with ppl who are fluent in english language could eventually become fluent,a person who learns languages very fast and associate with ppl who are fluent(has good exposure) without education can become fluent.but a person who is nt intelligent is nt intelligent whether fluent or nt fluent, exposure or no exposure.a person who is fluent can still be a dummy,I think it depends on priorty n how much time one puts into learnin smthing.I have met very intelligent first class individuals who dnt speak well,and they have never failled an english exam in skol b4 while I have also met individuals,who speak verywell but hardly pass exams includin the so called english language.so I dnt think good spoken english is by being intelligent or by education though both can be of great help and will make learnin fast.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.

Therein lies the defect in your argument. English doesn't "just happen to be" the language of instruction. It IS the language of instruction for just about any course in Nigeria - including "scientific" and professional disciplines. If you cannot communicate effectively in the language in which you learnt whatever you claim to know, then it is difficult to convince anyone about how you managed to gain such knowledge (considering that it was taught in the same language that you struggle to communicate in).

Having said that, I subscribe totally to the Theory of Multiple Intelligences (Howard Gardner), especially in terms of the idea of a wide range of cognitive abilities. Language and communication skills/ability is only one aspect of intelligence; there are several others - all of which can make an individual successful in their chosen careers, regardless of deficiencies in other areas.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

DELSU Cut-Off Mark For All Courses 2017/2018 / What Course Can My Ward Choose With This SSCE Result? / I Support Flogging Of My Daughter - Father Of Kwara Islamic School Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.